• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WoW Cataclysm Expansion speculation

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The more awesome part about that sneakpeek is Khadgar's involvement. He's an Archmage, who seems to have very close ties to the Naaru named A'dal.

Now this is purely speculation, but wouldn't it be cool if somehow it bridged the differences between arcane magic and divine magic, sort of like making a Paladin become more offensively-orientated using the work of the arcane. There's one class in the RPG books that describes a similar scenario: the Runemaster.

Essentially a Monk-like class that shuns armor, instead using arcane-powered runes labeled all over their body to become a physical spellcaster while also empowering themselves and others around them. I've heard calls for a Monk styled class in WoW for ages, and it'd be killer if the Runemaster somehow got added in as the next Hero class years down the line.

hteng

Banned
speedpop said:
The more awesome part about that sneakpeek is Khadgar's involvement. He's an Archmage, who seems to have very close ties to the Naaru named A'dal.

Now this is purely speculation, but wouldn't it be cool if somehow it bridged the differences between arcane magic and divine magic, sort of like making a Paladin become more offensively-orientated using the work of the arcane. There's one class in the RPG books that describes a similar scenario: the Runemaster.

Essentially a Monk-like class that shuns armor, instead using arcane-powered runes labeled all over their body to become a physical spellcaster while also empowering themselves and others around them. I've heard calls for a Monk styled class in WoW for ages, and it'd be killer if the Runemaster somehow got added in as the next Hero class years down the line.

monk style belongs to the pandaren! i hope they include the race!

markot

Banned
I hope Khadgar plays a big part, along with the other wc2 heroes >.< they kinda got... screwed over by just being quest givers, at best, in tbc.

Xiaoki said:
No they havent. Warhammer Online has been losing players at a rapid and fairly consistent rate.

As I already said, Warhammer Online is down to about 30 servers world wide and they are closing servers down every month.

Land of the Dead did nothing to bring players back.

They have merged a bunch of servers yes, but still no solid numbers being provided as the servers are still in fairly good condition, game being released in Taiwan recently and the MAC version coming soon. As of MAY EA reported in it's earnings report the game still holding around 300k subscribers http://www.massively.com/2009/05/06/warhammer-holds-its-ground-with-300k-subs/ , so unless somehow they lost 1/3 of the player base in a 2 month span, the talk of 200k is pure BS. Most servers are medium population and have been a long time, they can afford to close even more servers really, just saves them money while increasing the populations for those remaining servers. The huge server merge they did back around Feb was a big boost for those still playing since the game was suffering from most servers being of Low population.

Obviously things don't look so hot for it but if they can keep reporting around 300k things should be fine as it's been reported around that number now since December. They supposedly reached 500k in it's prime but that was before WOTLK release, which quickly killed off much of the player base sadly.

I quit the game not to long ago, I do think the game needs major work still sadly, it has lot of promise but really it's nothing more than a game for the hardcore guild player, it never had a chance with the mass market.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Any idea when Blizzard will do a conference tomorrow or saturday so that we can expect some official announcement for the next expansion?

speedpop

Opening ceremony starts at 11:30am PST, where it'll be like a mini-conference type of scenario. Most likely showing CG promo reels for Diablo, SC, and WoW. 30 mins after that ends at 12:30pm PST will be the WoW Preview Panel for an hour. That'll be where all the expansion info is divulged with slides and people coming up and talking.

Most likely if there is any expansion information divulged, a website will go up at the same time with most of the info with fansites emailed about it so they can spread the word similar to how the earlier expansions were done.

speedpop

RPGCrazied said:
This video is real good for those who merely want to catch up on some easy and quick lore details. Tons of correct information talking about certain regions which are definitely highlighted for, at the very least, some substantial change down the line.

RPGCrazied said:
If worgen is true, I hope they can be shamans :)
Doubt it. By all accounts it seems likely that the Wildhammer clan becomes enveloped properly within the Alliance and teaches the remaining Dwarf population the mystical magic of the Shaman. There is speculation that Worgen may learn the arts of the Druid however.

joelseph

BattleMonkey said:
They have merged a bunch of servers yes, but still no solid numbers being provided as the servers are still in fairly good condition, game being released in Taiwan recently and the MAC version coming soon. As of MAY EA reported in it's earnings report the game still holding around 300k subscribers http://www.massively.com/2009/05/06/warhammer-holds-its-ground-with-300k-subs/ , so unless somehow they lost 1/3 of the player base in a 2 month span, the talk of 200k is pure BS. Most servers are medium population and have been a long time, they can afford to close even more servers really, just saves them money while increasing the populations for those remaining servers. The huge server merge they did back around Feb was a big boost for those still playing since the game was suffering from most servers being of Low population.

Obviously things don't look so hot for it but if they can keep reporting around 300k things should be fine as it's been reported around that number now since December. They supposedly reached 500k in it's prime but that was before WOTLK release, which quickly killed off much of the player base sadly.

I quit the game not to long ago, I do think the game needs major work still sadly, it has lot of promise but really it's nothing more than a game for the hardcore guild player, it never had a chance with the mass market.

My experience with WAR is server merges have thrown the balances off and guilds are moving to Aion. My group of five RL buddies went back to WoW to try out WotLK because WAR is just a city zerg fest now.

kilongs

Damn it! Worgen being a playable race would be enough to get me to re-subscribe and join the filthy Alliance.

...but only if I can stay in the werewolf form at all times.

border said:
They are advertising the fuck out of the live internet stream, and I'd gladly buy it if they promised that they were going to screen the panel questions and make sure they were interesting and relevant stuff.

Open Q&A with some of the world's most talented developers and it's all just a bunch of little bitches with some axe to grind -- "When are mages going to stop sucking?" "Why can't I kill a rogue?" "When are we going to get the DANCE STUDIO that you promised on the box?"

You should have seen the Chinese journos at WWI 2007. Every question was like 5 minutes of "we noticed that in the early pre-alpha reveal video that the Zerg whatevers seemed to take 14.5 seconds to kill a Protoss thingamabob, wouldn't it make the game unbalanced unless you add a special power to the zerg that makes it attack 0.7% faster when there are more than 5 on screen?"

Meanwhile, the US/world journos were like, "so, how awesome is Starcraft 2?". Maybe that's not better journalism, I don't know.

Loxley

Alright. I admit it. I caved. I bought the live-stream.

But for the record I could care less about the pet (especially considering you don't actually get it until six to eight weeks after Blizzcon -_-)

I honestly just really enjoy the panels. Occasionally I go back and watch a few from Blizzcon 2007, Jeff Kaplan was a great host for the panels he was on, he really knew how to talk to the crowd. His infamous "We're not here to talk about solo-play or PvP, with your "welfare arena epics". We're here to talk about people who go out and earn their epics." line from the Dungeons & Raids panel still amuses me.

Oh, and Molten Core Version 2.0 always gives me a chuckle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyLb9SomqKA

:D

TomServo

Interfectum said:
We'll know by tomorrow around noon(ish) PST about the WoW expansion.

Gonna be interesting. I know quite a few people (myself included) who plan on going casual / quitting when we kill Arthas. It's gonna take something special to make people stick around after he's "dead".

Twig

Banned
FLEABttn said:
Explain EVE's 300k then. Boring game amirite?
More like niche by design.

I mean, that was a pretty pathetic attempt at trolling, though. Next time, do try harder? I love a good troll, even if I'm the target! Bad trolls are just... depressing.
What disclaimer?

"(I know every developer would love to be mass market, but we're talking reality here.)"

How is what that says relates at all to what you said above? Never mind that your "disclaimer" was ninja edited in after I began to quote you. Your disclaimer still doesn't change my point. Nobody with money aims to do 200-300k.
This was at least a little better, I'll grant you.
The existence of EVE isn't what's "poo-pooed", it's the normative statements from you and your ilk that the "next big thing (TM)" or that real MMO's are massive cluster fuck sandboxes where there isn't a game, but instead a void of content and the ability to kill people and rape the corpse, and that anyone who plays WoW should be playing Elder Scrolls or some shit. My definition of an MMO doesn't rule out EVE or UO or Darkfall or Mortal Online, I just think they are or will be terrible games. Your definition makes WoW something outside the bounds of that which is MMO.
This was probably the best attempt.

P.S. Did you forget I mentioned multiple times I actually love WoW? I guess you did. And nowhere did I say an EVE-like game would be the "next big thing (TM)". I'm only expressing my own personal desires.

Perhaps this is too much for your tiny ant brain to handle? Your queen not around to help you out, to tell you what to do?

Mmmm. Scrumptious.

Top Bottom