• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

Dthomp

Fuck me, hell really has frozen over :messenger_tears_of_joy:

edit: Seth is clearly not happy lol

Then Seth knows what it's like to have to watch him come out every week laughing like an idiot and slowly talking for chunks of the show. Not sure why Seth should even care outside of the one program they will work, he's like the most HHH guy if there has ever been a HHH guy, he's practically handed a belt any time HHH is in charge, he'll be fine.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Tony Khan is a fucking idiot. That cocaine clown should have paid Punk to sit out his contract and waste more Punk years. Instead he went public about being in fear of his life that he was mocked in interviews about it, and kept Jack Perry. Punk back at WWE happened right before 2024 All In London PPV tickets go on sale, let's be honest that PPV attendances the only major crowd AEW have in 24.

Cue the Bucks celebrating around an empty ring. All AEW incidents are self inflicted.

Dthomp

I assume this is all a work to get us Punk/Rollins, but maybe Rollins just didn't do the indies scene enough or as been in the WWE to long to let people leaving and returning get him so worked up. In no world is this not good for the company that you work for, and there is no world where Punk got Rollins money, this is a cheap deal that lets Punk go out on his terms

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

I assume this is all a work to get us Punk/Rollins, but maybe Rollins just didn't do the indies scene or as been in the WWE to long to let people leaving and returning get him so worked up. In no world is this not good for the company that you work for, and there is no world where Punk got Rollins money, this is a cheap deal that lets Punk go out on his terms
Probably but I'd rather him verbally and physically abuse "the overrated joke" Roman Reigns.

DKehoe

I assume this is all a work to get us Punk/Rollins, but maybe Rollins just didn't do the indies scene enough or as been in the WWE to long to let people leaving and returning get him so worked up. In no world is this not good for the company that you work for, and there is no world where Punk got Rollins money, this is a cheap deal that lets Punk go out on his terms
It’s absolutely a work. But if Punk’s first feud back is with Rollins then that’s pretty disappointing.

dave_d

Tony Khan is a fucking idiot. That cocaine clown should have paid Punk to sit out his contract and waste more Punk years. Instead he went public about being in fear of his life that he was mocked in interviews about it, and kept Jack Perry. Punk back at WWE happened right before 2024 All In London PPV tickets go on sale, let's be honest that PPV attendances the only major crowd AEW have in 24.
Yeah, pretty much. I mean unless it's a "legal" thing that when he fired him with cause he had to let him out of his contract. I would have at least expected that when he let him go he'd pay him out for 90 days so at least he couldn't show up at Survivor Series. (Admittedly if he had done that he could have a been an entrant to Royal Rumble.) The only thing Tony accomplished by hiring Punk in the first place is getting everybody talking about his WWE return.(Wow, that sounds even worse when I say it out loud.)

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
not gonna lie, I half expected the camera to cut back to Seth laughing and it was a big hoax. Gotta say, not sure what he's been up to since leaving AEW but he looked MUCH better then almost his whole run in AEW.
Having months off to get rested probably helped. I also think he probably feels the need to take better care of himself when he's there. Everyone seems to want to look their best when they're working in wwe.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
CM punk goes to AEW gets fired for a dumb reason but shows that he can bring in money. Wwe has always known how to capitalize on a draw and takes Punk and brings him in because he can make money.

Cody is bigger in WWE.
Punk will be bigger too.

Maybe AEW is dumb or run by children.

Dthomp

I think there was an autocorrect issue there where he was saying Punk isn't goin to get booed any time soon. Seth easily goes back to heel, since this obnoxious twat character had already hit it's limit with most fans who aren't in an arena and want to be part of the "thingy".

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
It's been reported that Cody and the others found out right before the main event that CM Punk was coming back.

I just don't buy this. There have been too many clear cut CM Punk references or weeks, so I'm sure the top guys knew he was going to come back at Survivor Series. There's definitely some risk involved in bringing him back to WWE, but I do believe they're better at handling backstage drama far better than AEW.

Triple H having full creative control again after the merger really changed everything and it wouldn't surprise me if they sign more star free agents leading to WM40.

Dthomp

It's been reported that Cody and the others found out right before the main event that CM Punk was coming back.

I just don't buy this. There have been too many clear cut CM Punk references or weeks, so I'm sure the top guys knew he was going to come back at Survivor Series. There's definitely some risk involved in bringing him back to WWE, but I do believe they're better at handling backstage drama far better than AEW.

Triple H having full creative control again after the merger really changed everything and it wouldn't surprise me if they sign more star free agents leading to WM40.

Seen a few places that the main event guys knew beforehand, and I would bet if he's been signed for the last 10 days they weren't informed right before the match since other then coming out during their celebration there was no interaction that wasn't intentional (as the Seth stuff has been reported as a work). Saw the reports of Drew leaving pissed, but dude has been dealing with personal stuff and honestly I can see most of them being upset with the main event cause it was an ass match setup for the Randy RKO return spot, and felt kind of rushed at times, especially once Randy came out so I wonder if something ran long or if Randy just isn't in ring shape enough for more the 5 minutes. I couldn't tell if he's just jacked or just really out of ring shape.

dave_d

I think there was an autocorrect issue there where he was saying Punk isn't goin to get booed any time soon. Seth easily goes back to heel, since this obnoxious twat character had already hit it's limit with most fans who aren't in an arena and want to be part of the "thingy".
I just hope if Seth goes heel he doesn't let people sing his song anymore. I mean they so over-do it that it's become the wrestling version of the vuvuzela from the world cup. (That was annoying too.)

Dthomp

I just hope if Seth goes heel he doesn't let people sing his song anymore. I mean they so over-do it that it's become the wrestling version of the vuvuzela from the world cup. (That was annoying too.)

I'm with ya on that one, I worry that stupid chant is on the levels of WHAT? for him now. Even if they change his music, nothing will stop fans from doing it anyways as an annoyance to him. We are all screwed cause we let that shit take off instead of nipping it in the bud.

Labolas

Honestly, Punk ruined any interest for me when he was in AEW. I don't hate the guy but his reputation has been tarnished.

Methos#1975

Honestly, Punk ruined any interest for me when he was in AEW. I don't hate the guy but his reputation has been tarnished.
Has it though? Fact is many see him as being the good guy in that drama and the Bucks, Omega, Khan, etc being unprofessional children that drove him to the breaking point with their bullshit. So the drama did more to ruin the reputation of the AEW than it hurt his.

Labolas

Has it though? Fact is many see him as being the good guy in that drama and the Bucks, Omega, Khan, etc being unprofessional children that drove him to the breaking point with their bullshit. So the drama did more to ruin the reputation of the AEW than it hurt his.
For me it has. It wasn't just the Young Bucks shit either.

dave_d

Plus even if it was mostly his fault (we don't know) the fact AEW has had this happen more than once suggests they're not very good at managing their talent. (Which is why I always like to repeat the mantra "It's always management fault")

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Plus even if it was mostly his fault (we don't know) the fact AEW has had this happen more than once suggests they're not very good at managing their talent. (Which is why I always like to repeat the mantra "It's always management fault")
The fact punk seems to fall out with people wherever he goes. Says different to me.

dave_d

The fact punk seems to fall out with people wherever he goes. Says different to me.
That's very true. (He had issues at TNA, Ring of Garbage, OVW, WWE, and now AEW.) That being said he lasted a total of something like 7 and half years with WWE and basically had a near firing at AEW in a year and then an actual firing after a little over 2 month after he came back to AEW.(And he wasn't really fired from WWE, he quit. They spent months trying to get him to come back and only released him a week or 2 before his contract was going to expire anyway.) So my guess is that WWE will do a better job managing him than AEW.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Seen a few places that the main event guys knew beforehand, and I would bet if he's been signed for the last 10 days they weren't informed right before the match since other then coming out during their celebration there was no interaction that wasn't intentional (as the Seth stuff has been reported as a work). Saw the reports of Drew leaving pissed, but dude has been dealing with personal stuff and honestly I can see most of them being upset with the main event cause it was an ass match setup for the Randy RKO return spot, and felt kind of rushed at times, especially once Randy came out so I wonder if something ran long or if Randy just isn't in ring shape enough for more the 5 minutes. I couldn't tell if he's just jacked or just really out of ring shape.
Yeah he looked jacked and a bit stiff. I know he has been rumored to be working at the performance center for a bit but that is different than being in the ring.

DKehoe

That's very true. (He had issues at TNA, Ring of Garbage, OVW, WWE, and now AEW.) That being said he lasted a total of something like 7 and half years with WWE and basically had a near firing at AEW in a year and then an actual firing after a little over 2 month after he came back to AEW.(And he wasn't really fired from WWE, he quit. They spent months trying to get him to come back and only released him a week or 2 before his contract was going to expire anyway.) So my guess is that WWE will do a better job managing him than AEW.
Not a big ROH fan then, eh?

dave_d

Not a big ROH fan then, eh?
Yeah, it's very indyrific or was. I mean don't get me wrong, there was stuff and people I liked like Jay lethal or Dalton Castle. But some of that stuff was just so low rent. (I'm sorry Roderic Strong is so boring he's one of the few guys who could put a sleeper hold on the entire audience. The idea that they thought out of Leo Rush and Punishment Martinez (Damien Priest) they thought the big star was Leo?) Tons a stuff where I just wondered what they were thinking.(Yeah I know, it was pretty much "But our internet fans love this.")

Last edited:

DKehoe

Yeah, it's very indyrific or was. I mean don't get me wrong, there was stuff and people I liked like Jay lethal or Dalton Castle. But some of that stuff was just so low rent. (I'm sorry Roderic Strong is so boring he's one of the few guys who could put a sleeper hold on the entire audience. The idea that they though out of Leo Rush and Punishment Martinez (Damien Priest) they thought the big star was Leo?) Tons a stuff where I just wondered what they were thinking.(Yeah I know, it was pretty much "But our internet fans love this.")
Were you watching any of the era that Punk was there?

dave_d

Were you watching any of the era that Punk was there?
Nah, that was before my time watching them. I caught them when they started following TNA in 2015 on whatever channel they were both on. They made TNA look like quality in comparison. (I probably would have liked Kevin Owens and would have skipped Davey Richards from what I saw of them later on.) They had Austin Aries on there too didn't they? (That's another guy where I just wonder what TNA was thinking pushing him as much as they did.) I did watch them regularly after that but I watch way too much wrestling. (I mean seriously, I watch Hollywood Wrestling still.)

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Nah, that was before my time watching them. I caught them when they started following TNA in 2015 on whatever channel they were both on. They made TNA look like quality in comparison. (I probably would have liked Kevin Owens and would have skipped Davey Richards from what I saw of them later on.) They had Austin Aries on there too didn't they? (That's another guy where I just wonder what TNA was thinking pushing him as much as they did.) I did watch them regularly after that but I watch way too much wrestling. (I mean seriously, I watch Hollywood Wrestling still.)
I checked out roh a few years before that. Sometime in the Hogan TNA era, I got frustrated so I decided to give ROH a shot. The wrestling was good but everything else was too indy for me. The show looked like shit. The announcing was largely shit. Everything production-wise was shit. I get it you have a budget but I couldn't go that far down. For all of TNA's issues around that time at least it was made in a somewhat professional way. Even a smaller company like GCW or MLW these days looks slicker than any of the roh stuff I ever saw. I'm still baffled roh is kept alive by Tony. I don't know what it adds at all other than a bunch of titles nobody cares about.

NickFire

Props to HHH's approach to booking of a major return. So far he has turned a kind of irrelevant PPV into a huge deal. Then made 3 hours of RAW must watch, with just enough follow-up to Saturday to have made it worth watching and ready for more.

Dthomp

Props to HHH's approach to booking of a major return. So far he has turned a kind of irrelevant PPV into a huge deal. Then made 3 hours of RAW must watch, with just enough follow-up to Saturday to have made it worth watching and ready for more.

That crowd was fire too, helped the babyfaces come off like even bigger deals then they already are. Cole with the constant reminding you about controversial star tonight was a great teaser to keep you engaged in the show (outside of the Nia Jax piss break). Solid promo from Punk, give the babyface type promo with the obvious heel vibes and character direction and you've got a character that people will be interested in seeing what they do with him.

DKehoe

That era of ROH has some fantastic stuff. Obviously the production values aren't great. But that era is considered by a lot of people to be ROH's golden age. Samoa Joe's title run was incredible, he had this swagger to him like he knew he was the best wrestler in the world at that point. Yeh Aries was around ROH for quite a while, he was the one who beat Joe for the title in 2004. WWE having such narrow criteria for who they'd hire meant there were all these incredible wrestlers on the Indies and it was an amazing time for that scene.

I was never that big on Davey Richards either. To me, his stuff veered more into just doing shit for the sake of it.

How is Hollywood Wrestling these days?

dave_d

That era of ROH has some fantastic stuff. Obviously the production values aren't great. But that era is considered by a lot of people to be ROH's golden age. Samoa Joe's title run was incredible, he had this swagger to him like he knew he was the best wrestler in the world at that point. Yeh Aries was around ROH for quite a while, he was the one who beat Joe for the title in 2004. WWE having such narrow criteria for who they'd hire meant there were all these incredible wrestlers on the Indies and it was an amazing time for that scene.

I was never that big on Davey Richards either. To me, his stuff veered more into just doing shit for the sake of it.

Pretty much non-existent. I mean I don't know when they've last run a show so pretty much what they do show is United Wrestling Network stuff. I like Danny Limelight and like him as champ. Admittedly they do have people coming in and out but lately they've been showing clip shows. (Last week was LA Knight. That was weird seeing him from 10 years ago with a much smaller Brian Cage.)

NickFire

AEW is on tonight. I'm guessing TK is probably running around jumping and yelling at shadows today. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe he's cool, calm and collected and planning a really good show. Just really hard to believe the guy who promotes big announcements if you tune in to watch, such as tickets going on sale, is going to have anything up his sleeve to make his company not look like the junior league after the momentum WWE just picked up IN THEIR SLOW SEASON when storylines would generally stagnate until RR kicks off WrestleMania season.

Also possible I'm overreacting and the WWE momentum is a short lived thing. I don't think I am overreacting though. HHH has proven himself good at his job. And after being gone for so long, there are a lot of high level feuds they can use Punk in.

Dthomp

I want to know if he accidentally was chanting CM Punk when he saw his SS debut, that's the real question since he is a fanboy first and foremost over an actual booker/promoter. I'm mostly caught up on recent AEW, and everything outside of Swerve is fast forward TV for me, so I assume we'll get quality counter programming like a long opening Orange Cassidy match to send away a fraction of the audience and a bunch of no story matches with 1 whole below average female match. I really wish he could prove me wrong and get that ship back to the must watch TV it was in the early years, but I think it's been too long of the wrong people in his ear about what people want (Mox, Jericho, Bucks)

NickFire

I want to know if he accidentally was chanting CM Punk when he saw his SS debut, that's the real question since he is a fanboy first and foremost over an actual booker/promoter. I'm mostly caught up on recent AEW, and everything outside of Swerve is fast forward TV for me, so I assume we'll get quality counter programming like a long opening Orange Cassidy match to send away a fraction of the audience and a bunch of no story matches with 1 whole below average female match. I really wish he could prove me wrong and get that ship back to the must watch TV it was in the early years, but I think it's been too long of the wrong people in his ear about what people want (Mox, Jericho, Bucks)
Damn. But yeah. Although I do still like MJF and Christian. MJF better when less endearing to crowd though.

dave_d

Wow, guess I talked too soon. They just had a new episode.

The first couple of matches were nothing to write home about. Main event was decent since it had Danny LimeLight and Shane Haste in it. (I think Bad Dude Tito might have actually been hurt at the end. I think I saw him mouth "fuck" when he got hurt.)

Top Bottom