• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

RavageX

I don't check this thread often but I stumbled by accident on "Biography Legends" on Paramount +.

Check it out if you haven't already, there are 3 seasons.

I'm halfway through episode 1 featuring Roddy Piper and it's in depth with great production values.
I will definitely check this out, thanks cause I would have never seen it.

dave_d

Wow, is the WWE seriously considering having Roman lose the title at Royal Rumble with out getting pinned or submitted? That would be one hell of a cop out.

NickFire

Wow, is the WWE seriously considering having Roman lose the title at Royal Rumble with out getting pinned or submitted? That would be one hell of a cop out.
It would create two huge WM matches though. Roman v Rock stays huge with or without title. LA Knight could then win the belt from whoever wins it from Roman without pinning him. Believe.

dave_d

It would create two huge WM matches though. Roman v Rock stays huge with or without title. LA Knight could then win the belt from whoever wins it from Roman without pinning him. Believe.
That's true but something else just hit me. Given how much he complained about it we might actually see Punk miss out on a 3rd Wrestlemania main event due to a match with the Rock. (And I always like to point out there's a good chance that if he hadn't walked out he would have been in the main event and not Bryan Danielson.) Guess history does repeat itself.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

The chances of that happening are about as high as my chances of scoring with Attitude Era Sable.

NickFire

Dudes collecting social security should not be the highlight of either flagship TV or a PPV, and they should not be pinning anyone who is not considered disposable. AEW is going hard in the paint towards irrelevancy.

WWE lite is a bad look. WWE's retirement home is a horrible look.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Hard to kill was fun. I bought it and watched it live. I couldn't tell you the last TNA PPV I bought before this one but I figured I'd throw some support their way for the relaunch. It was quite successful by their standards so that's good to see. The former Ziggler signing on is good but he's 43 so I hope they can squeeze out some more money for Hammerstone.

Last edited:

BlackSandrock10

Neo Member
This was some news to wake up to earlier and didn't see this coming.....Impeach President Tanahashi for this insolence! Only kidding....wherever he goes, his greatness will continue......I hope!

• Fire
Reactions: RNG

BlackSandrock10

Neo Member
Well, more wrestling news to come out and I thought 'MeekMahan's Compound' was going to WB Discovery after the recent rumours......but this was out of the blue! Let's the streaming wars begin and looks like AEW will have a stronghold in the UK in 2025.......dammit!

Last edited:

NickFire

Huge news. Hopefully AEW finds a good streaming platform soon too.
I think they should definitely find a streaming platform to partner to replace their PPV's. I do not think they should be taking Dynamite or Collision off of regular cable though, at least not anytime in the immediate future.

Instead of leaving regular cable, I think they should take advantage of the void that Raw's move to Netflix will create. No doubt that a lot of people will still watch Raw on Netflix. Also no doubt that some wrestling fans won't be paying whatever Netflix costs in a year just to watch Raw. AEW should get better storylines, and try to pull the left behinds into watching AEW. Wrestling fans talk wrestling with wrestling fans. If they can draw in some of the people who watch WWE but not AEW, then a few good storylines might start drawing even more viewers.

dave_d

Well, more wrestling news to come out and I thought 'MeekMahan's Compound' was going to WB Discovery after the recent rumours......but this was out of the blue! Let's the streaming wars begin and looks like AEW will have a stronghold in the UK in 2025.......dammit!

Wow, and here I thought the big thing this week was going to be the 40th anniversary of Chumpamania.(I will admit Hogan does not look anywhere near 70 years old, but he's still a Chump.)

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I live right by where AEW is live tonight and I had no idea they were even coming. They need to do better about local advertising.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

Zzzz should of been Punk.
Rock is facing him though so maybe Cody gets the title match before mania somehow and it's rock vs roman in a head of the table match at wm?

adamsapple

Women's Rumble match was way better than the men's. It was always going to be either Cody or Punk and I'm glad they gave it to Cody.

They fucking better 'finish the story' and let Cody beat Roman. Have Dwayne and Roman's match take place elsewhere, don't shoehorn him in as a third person ala Charlotte in the Becky / Rhonda feud.

And Bayley needs to get the biggest face-turn ever. They've been planting the seeds for it way too long for it to not go that way.

Last edited:

NickFire

Cody is boring. Cant believe went from Rock v Roman tease to Cody v Roman. Guessing they are hedging their bets on Seth’s knee. No other way I can internally justify why they didn’t pull the trigger on two blow the roof off main events with Punk winning rumble and Rock v. Roman.

RavageX

I wonder what stories some of the female wrestlers from back in the day have about Vince....

This would make a GREAT Darkside of the Ring

Reactions: RNG

dave_d

BTW For those of you that are New Japan fans I just found out how to get the NJPW app on my TV to work. Turns out the url the app gives is wrong. You have to go here

Not sure how well the app works on my Sony XBR900e TV. (Guess I'll see.)

AJUMP23

If they don’t make Cody champ I don’t know what they are doing.

and every big match with punk in aew he was injured.

RavageX

Well this isnt surprising. Personally, I would see this as a sign that it isn't meant to be.

That, or stretch more. Not sure.

Let me add, I still dont see what the big draw is with Punk. He can talk, but I havent seen a interesting match yet.

On a different note, Ive been watching early 80s midsouth and wcw/nwa. Good stuff that. (IMO)

I dont like Jimmy Valiant though, dont like his promos or his wrestling....and he pops up SO much..

Last edited:

dave_d

Well this isnt surprising. Personally, I would see this as a sign that it isn't meant to be.

That, or stretch more. Not sure.

Let me add, I still dont see what the big draw is with Punk. He can talk, but I havent seen a interesting match yet.

On a different note, Ive been watching early 80s midsouth and wcw/nwa. Good stuff that. (IMO)

I dont like Jimmy Valiant though, dont like his promos or his wrestling....and he pops up SO much..
I'll repost what I said awhile ago to what I think is the answer.

I'll take a shot at answering that. So pretty much as you've noticed the standard internet wrestling fan LOVES CM Punk. I think that's because they want to live vicariously through him. From what I’ve seen so many IWF would love to be a pro-wrestler themselves and think “If I could just get my chance I’d be as over as anyone.” However they think they’re realistic about this since they’re probably fat and out of shape. They think they couldn’t be 7 feet tall, they couldn’t have a build like that, they couldn’t do those throws, or they couldn’t do all those flips. IE They couldn’t be a giant, be built like Big E, do throws like Lesnar/Lashley, or do flips like Ricochet or Montez Ford. They think they’d get over with their talking, with their promo skills and if they just got one chance on the mike they could be the next Punk or even a manager like Cornette.

This is all hugely ironic. It’s true you can’t learn to be a giant. However while you might not have the build and strength of a Big E you can definitely do the training to get a decent build and very strong. Furthermore you can train to do the throws and flips. You won’t be as good at them as Lesnar or Ricochet but you’ll be decent. If you watch a decent amount of local indy wrestling there’s tons of people with builds like that, that can do a decent set of throws and can do a few flips and dives.

From my nearly 40 years of watching wrestling the one ability that is most important to getting you over is good promo skills and charisma. You can be absolutely shit in the ring but if you have that people will flock to watch you. The thing is that’s the rarest skill and I don’t know if anybody can teach you how to do that. If you watch the same indy wrestling it should be obvious because so many of the guys can’t do it and you never know if they’ll ever learn. But these IWF see Punk or Kevin Owens do it and they think they could be like them and get over like them. They think it’s easy since they can quote those wrestlers but they’re just idiots.

RavageX

Most will keep their distance from this. Vince has already removed himself from making the companies a target.

The only ones who really need to worry would be anyone who took part.

Expect a lot of nonsense claims too, some will be seeing this as a quick buck to be made.

adamsapple

Someone should ask KO if he still thinks him wrestling Vince would be a good angle.

ezgif-1-58b908d19c.gif

adamsapple

Triple threat main event at Mania

Cody, Rock, Roman

Nah, Cody looked down as fuck. It's gonna be Rock vs Reigns.

Absolute horseshit way to rob Cody of his story.

--

"The TKO Board of Directors send their regards"

GFYXcXrWwAAtZn5

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
There was a lot of pushback from fans after tonight's Smackdown.

This buries Cody (maybe just a bit) if he faces anyone besides Roman at WM.

Top Bottom