• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
got to love all the people claiming this was the plan all along, rather than a desperate backpedal.

Either way, I'm super glad they 'backpedeled' to it.

Dwayne and Roman can have their head of the table fight, and it doesn't need to have any titles on the line.

VulcanRaven

Backpedal yes. Not so sure it’s desperate though. Wrestling feeds off crowd energy. Pivoting to ride an energy wave is taking advantage of an opportunity.

But I do hope HHH books WM like the heel he used to play. I want to see the crowd throwing drinks when Cody loses yet again. :messenger_open_mouth:
The Rock probably betrays Roman and Cody wins.

adamsapple

The Rock probably betrays Roman and Cody wins.

Seems like the most likely, and logical, outcome. Rock goes in with Roman, but has a 'face' turn midway through the match. Rock bottoms / people's elbow on Solo and Jimmy and watches Cody deliver 3 cross-roads to Roman to finish his story.

Cue the music.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I’ve been a wrestling fan since the ‘70s. These days I just read about it.

The Vince McMahon scandal is crazy entertaining.
The entire Rock inserting himself into the main event against Reigns at Wrestlemania thing was mind boggling - and I truly believe that was the plan. Cody got bumped because it’s all about making the most money.
Having just seen and read about the press conference I think they pivoted brilliantly. The Rock isn’t dumb. He knows that he needs to be whatever the fans need him to be. The fans wanted Cody in the main event, and this was not only a great way to switch it around to what the fans wanted, but it still involves the Rock - just became nuclear hot.
I even want to watch it now.

My only thinking right now is that Rock and Reigns is just too potent of a twosome, so I wonder how they’re going to work that out? Do you turn Sikoa face? I’m not sure.

I’m loving what I’m seeing.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
My only thinking right now is that Rock and Reigns is just too potent of a twosome, so I wonder how they’re going to work that out? Do you turn Sikoa face? I’m not sure.

The Rock turns on Roman in the match and is the one to slap the belt on Cody at the end. It'll be the WM18 handshake x 10000.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
The Rock turns on Roman in the match and is the one to slap the belt on Cody at the end. It'll be the WM18 handshake x 10000.

Think so? After Rock slapping Cody and making a threat to Triple HHH in the aftermath about knocking Cody’s teeth down his throat from bringing up his family? He was walking side by side with Roman. It just wouldn’t make sense to me why he’d have the sudden change of heart. Blood is thicker than water and there’s no real reason to side with Cody. Plus he’ll have a ton of heat now.

That’s why I think it’s smart to go with a heel Rock. There’s more potential there than as a babyface. They could always take that further in planting the seeds of Rock usurping the role of Tribal Chief away from Roman.

I think if the go with the handshake and Rock goes back to being a face - there’s little to do with him. He wrestles Reigns and that’s kind of it.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Why taint the win for Cody by having the Rock take out Roman. Have Cody have to fight off the Rock and Roman to win the belt. In the end an injured Punk preventing the Rock from interfering would work.

adamsapple

Why taint the win for Cody by having the Rock take out Roman. Have Cody have to fight off the Rock and Roman to win the belt. In the end an injured Punk preventing the Rock from interfering would work.

No, like Drew said, Roman's family always interferes. Dwayne will keep them at bay. Cody needs to beat Roman in a fair one on one fight.

Last edited:

Kacho

Wonder what the "new era" is gonna be. They said the product was going in a sports based direction going forward, but last night felt like the rebirth of the attitude era. Not talking about the choppy your peepee nonsense from that era, more that it felt grounded and had teeth. Digging it fo sho. Hopefully they drop the dopey McMahonisms that has plagued the WWE product for far too long. We need more pro wrestling and less sports entertainment.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No, like Drew said, Roman's family always interferes. Dwayne will keep them at bay. Cody needs to beat Roman in a fair one on one fight.

Dwayne is Roman’s family. Why would he protect Cody at this point?
Especially after a big blow up?

Ah shit I just realized Wrestlemania isn’t until April 6/7? Plenty of talking segments to come. They need to keep the fire going.

adamsapple

Ah shit I just realized Wrestlemania isn’t until April 6/7? Plenty of talking segments to come. They need to keep the fire going.

I loved the visual parallel they made with the post show stuff, Roman was walking behind Dwayne like Jay and Jimmy would walk behind Roman, Roman has slotted into the 'little brother' role immediately. Plenty of time for a rift to form between them between now and April.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I loved the visual parallel they made with the post show stuff, Roman was walking behind Dwayne like Jay and Jimmy would walk behind Roman, Roman has slotted into the 'little brother' role immediately. Plenty of time for a rift to form between them between now and April.

Yep. I can see a power struggle happening, with Rock slowly taking the leader role. Plenty of great material to come.

NickFire

I'm hoping Rock goes full Bloodline the next couple months, and takes Seth's title. Then helps Roman cheat Cody. Then the two of them can jockey for position at head of table until Summerslam.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Even as someone who isn't regularly watching WWE (And who can now watch a lot of it back on their YT page) i like the recent uptick. Sure, the McMahon scandal is fucked up, but this whole Rock, Triple H, Cody and Reigns/Rollins situation definitely harkens back to Attitude era WWE.

And i love that. Its funny how those few days and segments carry more energy to the brand than a lot of stuff prior.

I also wonder what CM Punk thinks of this. Because yeah, The Rock is there to steal thunder, and H set the record straight, but one can't deny Punk definitely still has some axes to grind.

VulcanRaven

I also wonder what CM Punk thinks of this. Because yeah, The Rock is there to steal thunder, and H set the record straight, but one can't deny Punk definitely still has some axes to grind.
I think Punk and Rock are friends. Also he was there too:

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

CM is at least entertaining on the mic, even though he's a dick.

I won't be opposed to him joining the commentary team while he recovers from his latest injury.
That would be great but his return would feel bigger if he wasn't around much. Punk can seem unlikeable but hearing stories like this makes me like him more:

Last edited:
Wonder what the "new era" is gonna be. They said the product was going in a sports based direction going forward, but last night felt like the rebirth of the attitude era. Not talking about the choppy your peepee nonsense from that era, more that it felt grounded and had teeth. Digging it fo sho. Hopefully they drop the dopey McMahonisms that has plagued the WWE product for far too long. We need more pro wrestling and less sports entertainment.
Agreed. I stopped watching wrestling regularly in 2003. I just got bored with WWE. They had no serious competition, so they had no reason to really try anymore. I watched an occasional ROH or TNA show between then and now, but they were at times either too indie-riffic (ROH) or too Russo-riffic/Hogan-centric (TNA).

Then a long came AEW, which I was initially interested in, due to the promise that it would be a more sports based presentation. But then I quickly became uninterested due to the involvement of the Bucks and Omega, whom I really don't care for, along with their PWG friends. However, AEW Collision actually got me interested enough in wrestling again to watch a regular weekly show. Then they fired Punk. Then Collision became just like Dynamite and Rampage. So frustrating.

There has to be some happy, middle ground between the endless 20 minute monologues of the WWE and the indie/death match, everyone kicks out of everything, "let's have 37 finishes in a single match" bullshit of AEW. Hopefully, WWE sans McMahon can get there.

Kacho

Drew McIntyre has the best chops in the business. He obliterated AJ Styles on Smackdown. Awesome, physical match.

Kacho

Then a long came AEW, which I was initially interested in, due to the promise that it would be a more sports based presentation. But then I quickly became uninterested due to the involvement of the Bucks and Omega, whom I really don't care for, along with their PWG friends
Yeah I’m with you. Thankfully cosplay indie wrestling has run its course. AEW ratings are in the toilet.

AEW is ok in small doses, but there’s too much flippy floppy horseshit. Makes it hard to stay invested. I’m going to the Sting retirement PPV in March. Hope it’s a good show.

Yeah I’m with you. Thankfully cosplay indie wrestling has run its course. AEW ratings are in the toilet.

AEW is ok in small doses, but there’s too much flippy floppy horseshit. Makes it hard to stay invested. I’m going to the Sting retirement PPV in March. Hope it’s a good show.
Yeah, and ticket sales from everything I've been reading. If you can barely draw 1,000 paid customers to your tv tapings, you need to seriously reconsider the product you're presenting.

And it seems like Tony Kahn might have started to get the message, what with the major turnover in leadership positions towards the end of last year (notably getting rid of one of the Buckaroo's wives, who was in charge of the merch). Next maybe TK will realize he needs an experienced booker to handle creative, while he handles the business end.

NickFire

Yeah, and ticket sales from everything I've been reading. If you can barely draw 1,000 paid customers to your tv tapings, you need to seriously reconsider the product you're presenting.

And it seems like Tony Kahn might have started to get the message, what with the major turnover in leadership positions towards the end of last year (notably getting rid of one of the Buckaroo's wives, who was in charge of the merch). Next maybe TK will realize he needs an experienced booker to handle creative, while he handles the business end.
One of the biggest storylines is a guys retirement match. And the guy has one of their belts now at his age. They’re desperate for material IMO. Sting was great 35 years ago. This is just sad now.

RavageX

One of the biggest storylines is a guys retirement match. And the guy has one of their belts now at his age. They’re desperate for material IMO. Sting was great 35 years ago. This is just sad now.
Part of the problem to me anyway is that they don't know how to properly build a story. Slow building stories seem to be impossible for them.

They seem to start a story, forget to keep it going then come back to it way later like everyone should remember. Story motivations are also bad. It just further makes it look like a play act.

Then you move on to the actual wrestling, which fails to tell ANY kind of story because they overdo everything. No devastating finishers or proper injury angles, people kick out of everything so its impossible to get believable momentum going with a match.
If people kick out of everything, that makes it hard to have satisfying end. If top rope brainbusters to the outside are happening, how can you believe it if a DDT finishes the match?

Its such a mess to me. Get your people who know how to tell a convincing story, ease talent into these stories...create conflict and build it over time and use matches (with others) to help build. Maybe an interference here or there. MAKE THE REFS DO SOMETHING. Disqualify interference, weapon use...Have them do something other than count 123.

I know its not that easy, but its a start.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
You're not thinking big enough lads.

Rock is in Reigns corner the whole match.

Rock repeatedly helps Roman cheat Cody out of the victory.

Cody eventually looks down and out and beaten, with Reigns about to pin, and Heel Rock grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

*Breaking Glass*

Dthomp

You're not thinking big enough lads.

Rock is in Reigns corner the whole match.

Rock repeatedly helps Roman cheat Cody out of the victory.

Cody eventually looks down and out and beaten, with Reigns about to pin, and Heel Rock grinning like the Cheshire Cat.

*Breaking Glass*

I hated this the first time I read it, but if we don't get what I expect I could live with this but I can't see them using Austin as a surprise and not use him to sell ppvs. I still think we see Rock kind of taking over the bloodline over the next month with Roman becoming paranoid to the point of taking out the Rock himself which leads to the Rock taking away Romans backup as a babyface saying it's gonna be 1 on 1 at Mania with Rock outlawing any of the bloodline from getting involved. This reign for Roman needs to be a 1 on one loss for the guy he's putting over IMO. Post Mania bloodline explodes story can easily set up Rock/Roman at next years Mania or be a main event of Summerslam if it needs to be sooner

Dthomp

I know a tag is the rumor, only way I can see that is if Seth is WAY more hurt then suggests say. Seemed like the injury will need time off but rest up til Mania should allow him a decent enough match to drop the title and it should happen there to finally give Drew his moment with a crowd. I still think Roman/Rock will have a blowup before Mania and Rock ending up in an enforcer role but that's just my wild thinking.

Dthomp

It's just Mercedes Mone. Yawn. They'll do a great house there and the next week it'll be back to normal. Same old.

Yup, if she had any value to viewership WWE would have brought her back, but she's got a giant ego on her and might as well go take the overspend and toil for a few years over there. She was never gonna get a bag at WWE, her gimmick was tired 3 years before she left and she never evolved or improved like the other NXT women. She wouldn't even sniff the title picture in WWE honestly with all the talent they have there, but in AEW she can be like Moxley a medium sized fish in a guppy bag of a women's division.

dave_d

Well since someone asked a bit ago looks like the united wrestling network is up again

Plus on the same channel they have Derpy City Wrestling

I know what I'll be watching this week.

Top Bottom