• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

dave_d

Is it any good ?
Haven't watched it yet. Admittedly I like Danny Limelight so as long as he's on I'm sure I'll enjoy it. (Also Zickey Dice is a lot more entertaining on this than he ever was in Impact/TNA.) Admittedly I'll mostly watch it to see future stars or guys that end up being used as extra in the WWE/AEW.

NickFire

This OT is a good example of why the WWE should have run with Rock v. Roman instead of Cody's rematch. No joke - in the two days since a Wrestlemania season PPV went on, during which we got insight into more Mania matches, and no one is talking about Mania.

This is not a dig against this OT. Huge fan of this OT. Just saying that I bet this thread will be much more active after the next 3 Smackdown's since the Rock is supposed to be on them.

ManaByte

Gold Member
This OT is a good example of why the WWE should have run with Rock v. Roman instead of Cody's rematch. No joke - in the two days since a Wrestlemania season PPV went on, during which we got insight into more Mania matches, and no one is talking about Mania.

This is not a dig against this OT. Huge fan of this OT. Just saying that I bet this thread will be much more active after the next 3 Smackdown's since the Rock is supposed to be on them.

Astroturfer for The Rock?

Dthomp

I'm pretty inactive cause I don't get around to watching most shows these days til a few days after they air and I want to avoid any spoilers. Can't speak much of recent AEW, watched a couple recent Dynamites but does little for me these days, WWE for me has been better then it's been in years. Cody is getting reactions bigger then anybody outside of 1 off return pops, dude deserves this so much and I'm a guy that hated AEW Cody. Shows how bad TK was that their plan was to use Cody in meaningless matches against jobbers more of less and still barely win. Drew hopefully getting his title win in front of fans will be huge. Only things I am waiting to run their course is the Bloodline crap (Sorry this has gone on too long, can't wait to draw it out further with Tanga) and honestly Judgement Day needs some type of shakeup after Mania (Priest or Rhea getting the boot)

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Just recorded Stings goodbye at dynamite after the show went off air. I will share later after I upload it. He thanked Darby and Flair.

NickFire

I’m shaking my head at anyone picking Cody over Rock. Cody cannot hold a candle to Rock on the mic. Im hoping for the most epic screw job where Roman retains. The crying will be legendary.

VulcanRaven

I’m shaking my head at anyone picking Cody over Rock. Cody cannot hold a candle to Rock on the mic. Im hoping for the most epic screw job where Roman retains. The crying will be legendary.
You get Rock vs Roman next year. It will be better with more built up.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Rock and Roman doesn't need to have a title on the line, get the title off of Roman's increasingly stale run. Cody is the new John Cena, let him run with the title for a couple of months.

adamsapple

If it’s next year they should have Roman break Hogans streak.

paul heyman no no no GIF by WWE

NickFire

There has to be some family members who haven’t joined the Bloodline yet. Day after Wrestlemania would be a good time for them to acknowledge Roman after they help him retain night before. Epic meltdowns from the Crybabies.

Check out Rocks Twitter promo - 21 minutes. Hard truths in Rock fashion. F the story.

And Solo is singing nationl anthem. :messenger_tears_of_joy: That one line was better than any promo Cody has ever done. Yeah.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
There has to be some family members who haven’t joined the Bloodline yet. Day after Wrestlemania would be a good time for them to acknowledge Roman after they help him retain night before. Epic meltdowns from the Crybabies.

Check out Rocks Twitter promo - 21 minutes. Hard truths in Rock fashion. F the story.

And Solo is singing nationl anthem. :messenger_tears_of_joy: That one line was better than any promo Cody has ever done. Yeah.
He's 50 years old and has legitimate power in the company. This is beyond Hogan levels of fuckery imo. Who cares if he's a better promo. He'll fuck back off anyway when he gets another movie.

Dthomp

Wait? Are we pretending Rock coming out and using the same insults from 20 years ago is great? WM will be fully sold out, doesn't matter if it was Roman vs. a local jobber, only thing that matters is ending this awful title reign. I will gladly say I'm wrong if Rock comes out night 1 and isn't blown up after 10 minutes and doesn't look as awful as the last few times he's been physical on stop bys, like 10 years younger. Seeing old man Rock trying to be the same guy he was 20 years ago is just kind of sad at this point. Evolve bro.

On a side note, fuck all of that opening SD segment. I can't believe they wasted 40 minutes on that so Rocky could call Seth a clown 14 times and just repeat himself over and over long enough to screw both Naomi and Tiffy out of their entrances and likely time on their match, that SD had what felt like only 3 matches. Sad show overall.

NickFire

Wait? Are we pretending Rock coming out and using the same insults from 20 years ago is great? WM will be fully sold out, doesn't matter if it was Roman vs. a local jobber, only thing that matters is ending this awful title reign. I will gladly say I'm wrong if Rock comes out night 1 and isn't blown up after 10 minutes and doesn't look as awful as the last few times he's been physical on stop bys, like 10 years younger. Seeing old man Rock trying to be the same guy he was 20 years ago is just kind of sad at this point. Evolve bro.

On a side note, fuck all of that opening SD segment. I can't believe they wasted 40 minutes on that so Rocky could call Seth a clown 14 times and just repeat himself over and over long enough to screw both Naomi and Tiffy out of their entrances and likely time on their match, that SD had what felt like only 3 matches. Sad show overall.
Not pretending. And they’re different insults. All new refined insults that come with wisdom.

adamsapple

Not pretending. And they’re different insults. All new refined insults that come with wisdom.

Nah, he's just re-treading the Hollywood Rock era, with the only added thing is instagram or twitter letting him say the same promo with a few more fucks thrown in.

Dthomp

Can somebody who is more up to date with AEW tell me why Takeshita and Ospreay are wrestling? Other then TK loves MATCHES! Cause....weren't they both in Callis faction? Like this whole Revolution card on paper looks really WTF? to me. About to say something super not cool, but this whole Sting run has been dumb. Dude is a hundred years old, and his only fun match was the cinematic one since he can't physically do much outside of fall off of objects onto a bunch of dudes. Either they win (Which is dumb), or he puts the Bucks over, who don't need it and won't be able to do anything with being the guys to retire him.

Can somebody who is more up to date with AEW tell me why Takeshita and Ospreay are wrestling? Other then TK loves MATCHES! Cause....weren't they both in Callis faction? Like this whole Revolution card on paper looks really WTF? to me. About to say something super not cool, but this whole Sting run has been dumb. Dude is a hundred years old, and his only fun match was the cinematic one since he can't physically do much outside of fall off of objects onto a bunch of dudes. Either they win (Which is dumb), or he puts the Bucks over, who don't need it and won't be able to do anything with being the guys to retire him.

Why are you asking about why they're wrestling? This is AEW where the fans make up the stories on their own to cover for the crap booking. So get on it pal and let us know when you're done.

Naked Lunch

Can somebody who is more up to date with AEW tell me why Takeshita and Ospreay are wrestling?
They had a quick promo a week back.
I think its more just a slot in the card to have a great wrestling match - and, storywise, perhaps a way to break Osprey away from the Callis faction because he was in there before the deal with AEW happened.
I didnt watch the PPV but a friend said that Osprey one was the match of the night easily.

dave_d

On the plus side Orange Cassidy may no longer be the international atlantic on alternate Thursdays champion anymore. Admittedly we can't be sure though, Roderick Strong is so boring that he basically put everybody in the arena and at home to sleep so nobody saw the end. (But he says he won.)

Dthomp

On the plus side Orange Cassidy may no longer be the international atlantic on alternate Thursdays champion anymore. Admittedly we can't be sure though, Roderick Strong is so boring that he basically put everybody in the arena and at home to sleep so nobody saw the end. (But he says he won.)

I personally loved seeing Roddy backbreaker OC over and over and over again until that chump of a reign finally ended :)

Naked Lunch

New Dynamite was awesome.
Finally the return of the heel, baby face tunnels. An AEW staple from day one - no clue why it went away.

The Okada moment felt huge. I remember just a month back people were saying he was going WWE.
Young Bucks just embraced the sarcastic EVP role - came out to Cody's old middle of the set, elevator entrance and asked for more fireworks. Hilarious stuff. They even mentioned (and fired) Kenny - so that means hes coming back.

My girl Riho came back. So much wrestling skill in that tiny frame.
Women's div still needs a lot of work - but it seems theyre trying new stuff.

Osprey match was completely insane. There's nobody like that dude in wrestling - one of those 'appreciate it while you can' performers. His matches are must see TV.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
This Cody/Rock/Roman/Seth lead up to WM has me watching and following wrasslin more than ever. I was hooked by the BS of Cody giving up his WM shot at Roman. Fully in on the drama.

I'm late to this thread, but I watched Elimination Chamber, and, no fooling, the women's match was surprisingly good. They kept it varied and moving. And, being new to modern WWE, I figured Tiffany Stratton was some well- and long-known entity with the moves and character she showed off, but she's only been around for like a year?!?! I thought she killed it, and I'll be interested in future matches if she's in it.

It's pretty disappointing to hear Okada say a few weeks ago that he didn't want to lose his hunger or get too comfortable working with his friends in NJPW, only to end up in AEW where he'll work an easy schedule with his friends and a bunch of other ex-NJPW guys.

I get that Khan can throw his daddy's money around and make big money offers to guys like Okada for limited dates (Okada probably had an agent in his ear demanding that he takes the offer). It just sucks from a fan standpoint to see him step into that clown show after a legendary New Japan run knowing that he is immediately going to be overshadowed whenever Mercedes makes her debut.

Dthomp

It's pretty disappointing to hear Okada say a few weeks ago that he didn't want to lose his hunger or get too comfortable working with his friends in NJPW, only to end up in AEW where he'll work an easy schedule with his friends and a bunch of other ex-NJPW guys.

I get that Khan can throw his daddy's money around and make big money offers to guys like Okada for limited dates (Okada probably had an agent in his ear demanding that he takes the offer). It just sucks from a fan standpoint to see him step into that clown show after a legendary New Japan run knowing that he is immediately going to be overshadowed whenever Mercedes makes her debut.

i want to feel bad for Okada, I mean...dude was Cena levels of talked about 2 years ago and debuted in front of 3k people in an over half empty arena and there is no reason for their product to be this sad with attendances when WWE is doing crazy crowds everywhere they go including house shows, but the dude likely got a giant bag in order to keep him away from WWE. AEW sucks beyond belief at promoting their shows, you never know who is gonna be there and what is happening til a day before an event and since there are almost never more then 3 stories going on at a time, it's just a bunch of who cares matches it's hard to draw in fans. Plus you know, oversaturating the same markets the way they do doesn't help live attendance. It'll seem like Mercedes will be a bigger debut because it's been hinted at and talked about for 2 months now, but we all know she isn't going to move the needle at all. AEW has gotten better with presenting more female matches and options, and is still just terrible as a whole with its womens division, and Sasha ain't changing that.

Last edited:
i want to feel bad for Okada, I mean...dude was Cena levels of talked about 2 years ago and debuted in front of 3k people in an over half empty arena and there is no reason for their product to be this sad with attendances when WWE is doing crazy crowds everywhere they go including house shows, but the dude likely got a giant bag in order to keep him away from WWE. AEW sucks beyond belief at promoting their shows, you never know who is gonna be there and what is happening til a day before an event and since there are almost never more then 3 stories going on at a time, it's just a bunch of who cares matches it's hard to draw in fans. Plus you know, oversaturating the same markets the way they do doesn't help live attendance. It'll seem like Mercedes will be a bigger debut because it's been hinted at and talked about for 2 months now, but we all know she isn't going to move the needle at all. AEW has gotten better with presenting more female matches and options, and is still just terrible as a whole with its womens division, and Sasha ain't changing that.
Right, even when the camera zooms in on him and you catch glimpses of his soul dying as he surveys a sea of black tarps and empty seats, you have to remember that he's happy collecting Khan's money and hanging out with his friends.

If you feel bad for any wrestler(s) in the situation, it should be the next generation of NJPW dojo talent (Tsuji, Shota, Uemura) who will now probably never get as over as they could have if they were pinning Okada on their way to the top. If you believe the rumors, Okada may have even deliberately avoided working with them altogether to protect his own heat. I guess he forgot everything that Tanahashi had to do to get him over.

As a wrestling fan, it just feels like a sad, whimper of an ending to a great run.

Anyway, yeah I think that anyone expecting Okada or Mercedes to be the "game changer" that turns AEW around is going to be disappointed.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Right, even when the camera zooms in on him and you catch glimpses of his soul dying as he surveys a sea of black tarps and empty seats, you have to remember that he's happy collecting Khan's money and hanging out with his friends.

If you feel bad for any wrestler(s) in the situation, it should be the next generation of NJPW dojo talent (Tsuji, Shota, Uemura) who will now probably never get as over as they could have if they were pinning Okada on their way to the top. If you believe the rumors, Okada may have even deliberately avoided working with them altogether to protect his own heat. I guess he forgot everything that Tanahashi had to do to get him over.

As a wrestling fan, it just feels like a sad, whimper of an ending to a great run.

Anyway, yeah I think that anyone expecting Okada or Mercedes to be the "game changer" that turns AEW around is going to be disappointed.
It’s going to be will ospreay. I am betting. Week in week out he will do banger matches.

DKehoe

I don’t think most people care about whether or not someone is a “game changer.” I know that recently a lot of “the discourse”online around wrestling has become about tv ratings, arena attendances and guessing how much profit a company might be making but I think most people just want a show they enjoy.

NickFire

Supposedly Okada got 13.5 million dollar deal for three years. Jesus Christ.
Does the guy have promo skills? I don’t watch anything besides WWE or AEW so I have no idea who he is. Just another dude who AEW is telling me is a huge star so far. If he can talk he might be worth the contract. If not, then I highly doubt it.

DKehoe

Does the guy have promo skills? I don’t watch anything besides WWE or AEW so I have no idea who he is. Just another dude who AEW is telling me is a huge star so far. If he can talk he might be worth the contract. If not, then I highly doubt it.
You haven’t seen any of his work? You should check out out some of his stuff. He’s great.

It’s going to be will ospreay. I am betting. Week in week out he will do banger matches.
He for sure will be entertaining and put on the kind of matches that AEW fans, TK, and Meltzer want to see. I'm just not convinced that he'll put more butts in seats than they already have. Even in Japan, he had a spotty drawing record.

I don’t think most people care about whether or not someone is a “game changer.” I know that recently a lot of “the discourse”online around wrestling has become about tv ratings, arena attendances and guessing how much profit a company might be making but I think most people just want a show they enjoy.
Most probably don't care, but the declining attendance, ratings, and constant need to "reset" or "restore the feeling" is interesting to me.

He was good at sending Japanese crowds home happy at the end of the show, especially when he would speak Japanese. Aside from that, whenever it would come to the actual promotion/selling/building heat part, he really isn't very good. A lot of great matches though.

Top Bottom