• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

dave_d

I will say I did think last night is was kind of funny Dom asking which of the LWO they'll be facing and referring to one (Joaquin Wilde) as the "non-hispanic" one.

Soodanim

Late, but I've only just seen this. Great segment. I also popped when Punk said he listens to The Experience and The Drive Thru.

Great stuff. I've always thought social media could be put to much better use in a double-bluff kayfabe sort of way, and this is exactly what I mean. The lack of censorship contrasts with the broadcast and makes it hit harder.

Late, but I've only just seen this. Great segment. I also popped when Punk said he listens to The Experience and The Drive Thru.

Great stuff. I've always thought social media could be put to much better use in a double-bluff kayfabe sort of way, and this is exactly what I mean. The lack of censorship contrasts with the broadcast and makes it hit harder.

This was great. Rock has been on fire the past few weeks.

Only question I would have: is this all turning Roman into an afterthought in his own feud?

Either way, it's working because I'm paying more attention now than I have in the past 7 years or so.

Soodanim

This was great. Rock has been on fire the past few weeks.

Only question I would have: is this all turning Roman into an afterthought in his own feud?

Either way, it's working because I'm paying more attention now than I have in the past 7 years or so.
Maybe it plays into the next step of Roman and Rock butting heads. They're making points of saying Roman calls the shots:

Maybe it plays into the next step of Roman and Rock butting heads. They're making points of saying Roman calls the shots:

That's true, it definitely could be going that direction. I wonder when the payoff could be though.

If it's true Rock will be doing a movie around SummerSlam time, are they really going to be able to stretch Roman vs Rock all the way to WM 41?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I saw that ratings for the last episode of Dynamite tanked. One of their worst ever. Pretty wild considering all of the huge signings they've had lately.

The drama that will not die.

Thanks for posting. I'd be interested in hearing the perspectives of Perry, Khan, Joe, etc. but Punk's take definitely aligns with a lot of what we can observe or what we have heard about AEW.

In particular, it tracks that Khan is afraid of confrontation, that there are significant backstage culture issues, and that AEW is not being operated as if it were a legitimate business.

I saw that ratings for the last episode of Dynamite tanked. One of their worst ever. Pretty wild considering all of the huge signings they've had lately.

Right? I get Khan has essentially unlimited money, but still I can't imagine he's thrilled about ballooning his payroll for Edge, Okada, Ospreay, and Mercedes and business actually regresses even further.

dave_d

Thanks for posting. I'd be interested in hearing the perspectives of Perry, Khan, Joe, etc. but Punk's take definitely aligns with a lot of what we can observe or what we have heard about AEW.

In particular, it tracks that Khan is afraid of confrontation, that there are significant backstage culture issues, and that AEW is not being operated as if it were a legitimate business.
The thing I'm still hoping for is that the video of what happen finally leaks. (Since it was supposedly recorded on video at Wembly) Just wondering what it would show.

The thing I'm still hoping for is that the video of what happen finally leaks. (Since it was supposedly recorded on video at Wembly) Just wondering what it would show.

That'll be entertaining for sure whenever it drops. AEW being the sloppy shop that it is, you know someone is going to leak it at some point. Just seems like a matter of time.

Last edited:

Kacho

^ damn, this interview is spicy as fuck

41:25 Punk speaks on the Jungle Boy incident.

Last edited:
Anyone think MJF shows up at wrestle mania ?
Is this when the "bidding war" was supposed to be taking place? If so, then maybe.

Though, we've heard in some cases Khan adds time to your contract while injured. If that's the case, he might need to follow the Punch Sammy / Choke Jungle Boy release plan.

DKehoe

Is this when the "bidding war" was supposed to be taking place? If so, then maybe.

Though, we've heard in some cases Khan adds time to your contract while injured. If that's the case, he might need to follow the Punch Sammy / Choke Jungle Boy release plan.
He probably signed a new contract a while back.

He probably signed a new contract a while back.

Honestly, he probably did. Tony seems to really value his "pillars".

Then again...

If you're TK and you just spent all that money on Okada, Ospreay, and Mercedes only to watch them lose viewers every week, you have to start making space in your budget for the ridiculous offer you're about to make to Goldberg, don't you?

So maybe?

Let me preface this by saying that I'm an Old Person, old enough to remember watching Hogan, Savage, Andre, and Warrior on syndicated TV on Saturday afternoon. I've come back a few times, esp. during Attitude and RA eras. Started watching old PPVs during Covid (looking for something to do at home), and then started watching new PLEs as they happened, then after New Year's this year, I started watching the weekly shows. Basically getting more into it over time.

I am loving what they're doing right now with Cody and Rock--I'm in the "let's bring back some of the Attitude era stuff, let's add more and more heat" camp. I'm unironically excited for Wrestlemania, couldn't be more excited, even though, again, I'm old. I really think that we're at a high point right now, and I hope they lean into what's been working recently. The one thing I'm worried about is that a lot of their big stars right now are pretty old. I noticed when Rock was beating on Cody that he got pretty winded even though in reality Cody was doing most of the work. I think there's a decent chance that Rock just rips a hammy or something at the beginning of their match Saturday night. But we'll see.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Not a big fan of Punk but his quote about "If you're happy with some goof giving your match a 5 star rating but the arena is only quarter full, we're not in the same business" in his interview with Ariel was extremely piercing and perfectly summarizes AEW how it currently seems to operate (to me).

Last edited:

adamsapple

Nice to see R TRUTH get a belt. And after that Cody loss will he ever finish the story.

They really really have to right, they're not gonna do another Cody loss tomorrow but never say never with these fuckers lol

But, yes, Cody had to be the one to take the pin tonight if he is to win tomorrow.

adamsapple

Dwayne was surprisingly solid out there after so long. Very little ring rust at the start of the match *AND* he didn't gas out by the end. He can definitely do a proper run if he wants to.

Also, he sold the shit out of the spear, almost Batista level faces here.

Dwayne was surprisingly solid out there after so long. Very little ring rust at the start of the match *AND* he didn't gas out by the end. He can definitely do a proper run if he wants to.

Also, he sold the shit out of the spear, almost Batista level faces here.

Yeah I was curious how he'd do at his size and with more years on him. To see him go for so long and even take a table spot was pretty impressive.

Based on tonight, it does seem like he could do another SummerSlam and WM if he wants to.

Last edited:
They really really have to right, they're not gonna do another Cody loss tomorrow but never say never with these fuckers lol

But, yes, Cody had to be the one to take the pin tonight if he is to win tomorrow.
I do think Cody wins but I wouldn't put a bunch of money on it either.

Sometimes it seems like this company lives off of fanboy tears, and there will be plenty tomorrow if the story goes unfinished.

The drama that will not die.

Is that why Edge came out on Dynamite to cut a promo about how AEW is the bestest? I was wondering wtf he was on about... and now:

LMAO

wayward pines GIF

SAMIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII !!!!!!

(should have been Gable, but eh)
They kind of did the training angle I was asking for.. but I wanted something out of the Rocky or Karate Kid soundtracks, and I wanted Maxine, Otis, and the little Japanese dude there too... but they had to get all serious with it.

Soodanim

What does AEW possibly have to gain from airing that footage? Punk's gone and Tony's down a big star. Perry's gone or at least half gone and salty about it, but he's not a big star anyway so who cares. All AEW can really do is move on.

Don't get me wrong, if it's airing I'm watching every second. But I don't know what that does for Tony or AEW.

AJUMP23

What does AEW possibly have to gain from airing that footage? Punk's gone and Tony's down a big star. Perry's gone or at least half gone and salty about it, but he's not a big star anyway so who cares. All AEW can really do is move on.

Don't get me wrong, if it's airing I'm watching every second. But I don't know what that does for Tony or AEW.
I guess they want to make punk more popular.

adamsapple

Sounds like petty revenge over CM's interview.

adamsapple

In all fairness, how would it be any more petty than what Punk was doing?
Samoa Joe was the only guy who came out of that incident with anything resembling dignity.

That is true, but CM has a history of mouthing off in interviews, so everyone kinda expects that from him. Unless this is some kind of skit from the young bucks, there is nothing to gain from airing that backstage footage, all it'll do is show how unhinged AEW's backstage is.

dave_d

My only guess is Tony has been snorting a lot more coke than usual and it's making him think this bad idea is a good one. Admittedly I'll watch but only that segment. I've given up on AEW and it would take a lot for me to go back to it.(Like hiring Heyman to run it.)

dave_d

That is true, but CM has a history of mouthing off in interviews, so everyone kinda expects that from him. Unless this is some kind of skit from the young bucks, there is nothing to gain from airing that backstage footage, all it'll do is show how unhinged AEW's backstage is.
I hope it's not that. Admittedly just to be sure I was going to wait until one of wrestling web sites reviews the episode. (I'm sure 411 wrestling will give the episode a 9 and wonder why nobody wants to watch.)

dave_d

But I guess we're going to have the Tony Khan rule now.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by large amounts of blow

Last edited:

twinspectre

My only guess is Tony has been snorting a lot more coke than usual and it's making him think this bad idea is a good one. Admittedly I'll watch but only that segment. I've given up on AEW and it would take a lot for me to go back to it.(Like hiring Heyman to run it.)
Tuesday You wanted that video to leak, and now you're saying "this is stupid"?

twinspectre

My prediction:
Wrestling fans are against the idea of TK showing the supposed clip
Young Bucks are going to troll and show us Young Bucks vs FTR at Wembley
the same Wrestling fans are going to bash AEW for trolling them.
Either way AEW can't win with stupid fanboys.

dave_d

Tuesday You wanted that video to leak, and now you're saying "this is stupid"?
Yes, yes I am. I can admit to being a voyeur but also recognize that from a long term business point of view this isn't going to help AEW. (They'll get a bunch of view but probably only for that section and not get anyone to watch the rest of their program. Hell, a large portion of people will actually see only this section because they'll watch it on youtube.) AEW's problems run far too deep.

twinspectre

Yes, yes I am. I can admit to being a voyeur but also recognize that from a long term business point of view this isn't going to help AEW. (They'll get a bunch of view but probably only for that section and not get anyone to watch the rest of their program. Hell, a large portion of people will actually see only this section because they'll watch it on youtube.) AEW's problems run far too deep.
For now people are assuming it is going to be Jack and Punk's footage, but currently we don't know nothing.

VulcanRaven

The final two matches were great. It was good to see The Rock wrestling again. After this finish I'm pretty sure Cody wins today.

Last edited:

yamaci17

I know he worked slow with water breaks but Rock still performed waaaaaaay above my expectations. it was great entertainment, great match. genuinely surprised rock can go this well at this age. 3 months ago he would be 100x more gassed just walking to the ring. last night he didn't look that kind of gassed towards the end of the match even. whatever program he went in did wonders for him.

it is why I'd originally hate roman vs rock main event match because I really believed rock was at a point he wouldn't be able to go. but he clearly can. maybe they masked it away greatly with tag team idk. but I'm now hyped for cody vs rock summerslam match if it is going to happen

and man, Roman reigns. he evolved amazingly as a performer. he's now a natural in ring. I'm so happy for him too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom