• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin' Thread 20XX |OT| New Age WrestleGAF

My thoughts on Night 1.

Downside: I thought the 6 woman and 'Rey vs Dom' tag matches were mediocre at best, and I thought Jimmy v Jey was truly awful.

Upside: But I thought everything else was good (Rhea vs Becky) to great (Ladders, Intercontinental, Main Event). Those great matches were absolute bangers. I was worried that Rock would get blown up or hurt, but he did well. And that ladders match was one for the ages (for a 'stunt' match, anyway).

Overall, I thought the night was a 'very good' and I'm super pumped for tonight.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Come on, Cody. Finish the fuckin' story tonight!

send-energy-sending.gif

Expecting a full-on Avengers Assemble finale.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
Overall night 1 wasn't too bad I still think Sami shouldn't have been in the match it should have been Chad but a Chad heel turn would make up for it. Didn't care for Jimmy and Jey and the six-women tag was ok at best. Also, it still feels like they're covering up Jade Cargill. I would like to see her one on one 15 mins or more match. The ladder match was great and R-Truth as always stood out.

The main event was predictable in terms of who was winning but it was still extremely entertaining and The Rock was on fire. Telling the Ref don't count or you're fired had me in stitches. Don't fuck with the final boss

Looking forward to night 2 and the surprise person to help Cody. I hope it is either DDP or his brother but in a dream scenario its MJF.

thegame983

My god the commentary is unlistenable to.

Constant buzzwords & catchphrases. 'The Final Boss!', 'The American Nightmare!', 'Seth 'frickin' Rollins!', 'Superman Punch!'

It never fucking ends.

• LOL
Reactions: RNG

Soodanim

No one has mentioned how awful the whole "Final Boss engaged" stuff in Rock's entrance was on night 1. Took the gimmick too far with the 99% progress, then Rock doing his own VO for it like he's activated himself as a robot is so bad. Shame really, because his 2 theme entrance has been great until now.

I've never been a fan of the really long pre-music quiet time he has liked to do this past decade though, it so quickly goes past anticipation and into "Alright you stop milking it now Dwayne".

dave_d

When it comes to commentary should I ask? Do they still have the meth weasel, aka Pat Mcafee, ruining commentary? (I call him that because he bounces around more than a weasel on meth and he's even more annoying. He'd be good if he'd just tone it down a bit.)

adamsapple

4hfltsa01v9b1.gif

He finished his story.

GG, Triple H for not fucking it up another year.

That Undertaker spot was good but holy shit imagine if it were Stone Cold.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Night 1

Rhea Ripley vs Becky Lynch
- I Enjoyed it. Solid match. Rhea is 27 years old and this win will do more for her than Becky Lynch.
Six-Pack Tag Team Ladder Match - Entertaining match. I'm happy to see Awesome Truth win.
Rey Mysterio and Andrade vs Santos Escobar and Dominik - I thought it was ok. Andrade still looks great. It's sad to see that Dragon Lee was removed from this match.
Jade Gargill, Bianca Belair, and Naomi vs Damage CTRL - It was an ok match. I thought they wanted to use this as an opportunity to get Jade out there. It was forgettable.
Sami Zayn vs Gunther - Great match. I'm happy for Sami.
The Rock and Roman vs Cody and Seth Rollins - Very entertaining match.

Night 2

Seth Rollins vs Drew McIntyre
- Good match. I expected something to happen between CM Punk and Drew McIntyre and it did. I wanted Drew to win, but I can see him getting his moment at Clash at the Castle in Scotland.
The Final Testament vs Bobby Lashley & The Street Profits - It was ok. I wanted to see the Final Testament Win.
LA Knight and AJ Styles - Probably LA Knight's best match in WWE. I didn't have any real expectations for this match but it was enjoyable to watch.
Logan Paul vs Kevin Owens vs Randy Orton - Another good match. Logan Paul showing that he really belongs in this industry.
Iyo Sky vs Bayley - This has to be my favorite match of Wrestlemania. Great in-ring performance.
Cody Rhodes vs Roman Reigns - My second favorite match of Wrestlemania. There was a rumor that Stone Cold was going to make an appearance but I guess Taker took his spot. I wish the ending was a bit stretched out more to make it more climactic.

Notes:

- Drew, Becky, and Rollins' contracts are up within a few months.
- They finally split up the tag titles, something they were planning on doing for a year.
- NXT Women have a new mid-card title. This is something women on the main roster need.
- Dijak, Dragunov, lyra, Jacey Jayne, and Gigi Dolin are main roster ready.
- Oba Femi and Trick Williams have bright futures, especially Oba Femi.
- Giulia is WWE new signing for NXT. I expect her to spend less than a year in NXT.
- Looks like we're going to get a Bloodline civil war with new members joining the fued.

nani17

are in a big trouble
Let's take a moment to appreciate our Tribal Chiefs reign. When he was being forced down our throats we couldn't stand it. We booed him at consistently every chance we got because of the force feeding of him. Then he took a slight turn and became one of the best in the business especially with the bloodline story.

All twists and turns that story took was just beautiful. Sami being involved with the comedy aspect of it all made it even better."Lately he's just hasn't been very UCI" 😂

When we look back years from now we will remember this reign very fondly. I acknowledge our Tribal Chief Roman Reigns

☝️

yamaci17

Let's take a moment to appreciate our Tribal Chiefs reign. When he was being forced down our throats we couldn't stand it. We booed him at consistently every chance we got because of the force feeding of him. Then he took a slight turn and became one of the best in the business especially with the bloodline story.

All twists and turns that story took was just beautiful. Sami being involved with the comedy aspect of it all made it even better."Lately he's just hasn't been very UCI" 😂

When we look back years from now we will remember this reign very fondly. I acknowledge our Tribal Chief Roman Reigns

☝️
roman and sami story single handedly made me return to watch wrestling. and without roman there wouldn't be a story worthy of finishing for Cody

☝️

I thought last night was great, and overall it was a great Wrestlemania. The weakest part of night 2 was the Philly Street Fight, and even that was goofy fun (having Bubba Ray and Snoop definitely elevated it). But pretty much everything else was amazing. There were decisions I didn't love (Priest's cashing in, Paul defending) but I knew they were coming and I understand the logic. And if Roman retires (that clip of his hugging Paul Heyman sure looks like a 'last day at work' thing), it was a great way to go out.

My favorite part of the weekend was their "it's a new era" slogan. Give me more of this, please.

AJUMP23

I think I will still watch AEW over WWE, but I will come over and check on Cody. But WWE has gotten much better while AEW has gotten less interesting.

adamsapple

Sometimes long term storytelling really does pay off. Roman had both Cody and Seth and he chose to go after Seth, never got away from the shield breakup a decade ago.

*george lucas poetry gif*

dave_d

Sometimes long term storytelling really does pay off. Roman had both Cody and Seth and he chose to go after Seth, never got away from the shield breakup a decade ago.

I still think it would have been better if Cody won last year and this year was the destruction of the bloodline culminating in the Rock taking down Roman to free the family. That being said, the above was good end too. (And no guarantee what I thought would be better would actually work out that way.)

dave_d

They really buried Vince tonight and I love it lol
I'm hoping they're going to finally start pushing Montez as a single star. (Screwing him over always seemed as a Vince thing to me as well. Well that and the whole not realizing Santos speaks perfect English.) I'm always amazed that he's over with the crowd at all given he's been treated as a loser for a couple of years now.

Last edited:

dave_d

I think I mentioned this but since Vince is gone I wonder if Eric Young will come back or if he's done with the WWE for good. (He left last time when Vince came back. I can't blame him for that, he basically told Vince to fuck himself just in a diplomatic way.)

yamaci17

he also said he would be the "shield" for Cody... and here he's shielding himself, distracting roman and taking the hit, allowing cody to win !

GametimeUK

I'm more of an AEW fan these days, but to be honest I've given up on watching their TV at the moment. Storylines are boring and 2 hours of Dynamite followed by 1 hour of Rampage and 2 hours of Collision is too much, man.

WWE have been killing it with their Storylines lately and their whole presentation is top notch.

I still think AEW has the edge in terms of match quality. Their last PPV was insane, but I gotta say I'm more interested in WWE at the moment which is crazy to think.

Wrestling is in a good spot right now.

adamsapple

I'm more of an AEW fan these days, but to be honest I've given up on watching their TV at the moment. Storylines are boring and 2 hours of Dynamite followed by 1 hour of Rampage and 2 hours of Collision is too much, man.

WWE have been killing it with their Storylines lately and their whole presentation is top notch.

I still think AEW has the edge in terms of match quality. Their last PPV was insane, but I gotta say I'm more interested in WWE at the moment which is crazy to think.

Wrestling is in a good spot right now.

As Michael Cole put it, "Professional Wrestling is cool again".

Top Bottom