• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrestle Kingdom VIII |OT| New Japan Pro-Wrestling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great OP Boootaaay!

Needs more Young Backs though.

#Superkicks

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

tumblr_mwd5idkjB51ql0k28o7_250.gif
tumblr_mwd5idkjB51ql0k28o9_250.gif
tumblr_mwd5idkjB51ql0k28o10_250.gif

I really want the Bucks to win, but I have a feeling TIME SPLITTERS are going to take the belts back. Also, that reminds me - what's everyone's predictions for the WK8 card? I'm going with;

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) © vs Suzuki-gun (TAKA Michinoku & Taichi) vs Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov) vs TIME SPLITTERS (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA)
IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles: K.E.S. (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr) © vs BULLET CLUB ('Machinegun' Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows)
NWA World Heavyweight Title: Rob Conway © vs Satoshi Kojima
Special Challenge Match: Yuji Nagata & Kazushi Sakuraba vs Daniel & Rolles Gracie
Grudge Match: CHAOS (Toru Yano & X) vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki & Shelton Benjamin)
King of Destroyer Match: Togi Makabe vs Bad Luck Fale
Goto Return Match: Hirooki Goto vs Katsuyori Shibata
IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Prince Devitt © vs Kota Ibushi
IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada © vs Tetsuya Naito
IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura © vs Hiroshi Tanahashi

shaowebb

I really want the Bucks to win, but I have a feeling TIME SPLITTERS are going to take the belts back. Also, that reminds me - what's everyone's predictions for the WK8 card? I'm going with;

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) © vs Suzuki-gun (TAKA Michinoku & Taichi) vs Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov) vs TIME SPLITTERS (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA)
IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles: K.E.S. (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr) © vs BULLET CLUB ('Machinegun' Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows)
Special Challenge Match: Yuji Nagata & Kazushi Sakuraba vs Daniel & Rolles Gracie
Grudge Match: CHAOS (Toru Yano & X) vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki & Shelton Benjamin)

Lets see...you picked Alex Shelley's team, Kota Imbushi, Hirooki Goto. Oh yes we will indeed be close friends. I also see Shinsuke Nakamura losing to Hiroshi Tanahashi honestly. Shinsuke is cokehead crazy, has Boma Ye and amazing at playing a dangerous psychotic in the ring, but Tanahashi is red hot these days and is as face as he can get. Dude is getting put over with this one IMO.

The first Road to Tokyo Dome show starts shortly - seems a lot of people are skipping this one, but there should be some fun matches here. Really looking forward to Okada vs Honma & Naito vs Gedo. Follow me on twitter, I'll be posting updates and gifs from the show;

https://twitter.com/SenorLARIATO

Also, yottsune kindly translates on the fly promos and random things the commentators say, well worth a follow;

https://twitter.com/puro_yottsume

I also see Shinsuke Nakamura losing to Hiroshi Tanahashi honestly. Shinsuke is cokehead crazy, has Boma Ye and amazing at playing a dangerous psychotic in the ring, but Tanahashi is red hot these days and is as face as he can get. Dude is getting put over with this one IMO.

Oh yeah, definitely - Shinsuke's won both of their previous Tokyo Dome matches, so I can't see him winning the 3rd. Also, they probably need to get the Intercontinental title off of him so he can challenge for the main belt at some point in 2014. An Okada vs Nakamura feud for control of CHAOS is where the money's at, imo.

Toru Yano just announced that his mystery partner for Wrestle Kingdom 8 is none other than The Great Muta!!! They played a video package where Muta spat green mist over the Suzuki-gun flag and Suzuki went crazy, beating up the young lions at ringside.

Here's a few gifs from the 1st half of the show;

i6qIFq5mCjJYc.gif
iYF7yBWgj6444.gif
ibd9DBnTiYhXZK.gif

iow3li3u5Vf9m.gif
i09YGS5ktgz58.gif
iBJ3JnXcsKh6L.gif

I reeeeeeally hope Yano comes out as some sort of Great Yano character. That match sounds like its going to be a ton of fun.

Shame Ishii isn't anywhere on the card though :(

*edit, here's some gifs from the main event of today's show;

iVpyrA9c2N6kc.gif
ibvZA9iHuzlYWZ.gif
ixDJlyr6tsYlT.gif

shaowebb

Oh yeah, definitely - Shinsuke's won both of their previous Tokyo Dome matches, so I can't see him winning the 3rd. Also, they probably need to get the Intercontinental title off of him so he can challenge for the main belt at some point in 2014. An Okada vs Nakamura feud for control of CHAOS is where the money's at, imo.

They've had a lot of push and with Rainmaker and Boma Ye both being such insanely pushed and backed strong style finishes you know that eventually they will want to push a match where they want to know which is stronger. If Shinsuke drops the title (and I feel he will considering Tanahashi was so over he was nearly pushed over Okada just recently) its just to build toward this IMO.

God that Okada vs Tanahashi ending. Rainmaker countered like 3 or 4 times in a row and finally connects. It was hot as hell how they built that match with Tanahashi beating the shit outta that arm of Okada's. God what a finish. Could you imagine the Rainmaker countered into Boma Ye and vice versa? It'd set the crowds on fire for the next year.

EDIT: Im hype. Enjoy some Kota Ibushi vs Shinsuke Nakamura

shaowebb

My only regret is that Masato Yoshino isn't somehow a part of this whole show. I love him soooo much. Super fast guy with a ton of technique. Honestly I dont think the tag team of Speed Muscle would have gotten over without his insane rope running and full sprint diving attacks in the ring.

So want to see him come into this fed. He's doing a helluva job in Dragon Gate though.

ZGGq71q.gif

Updated the OP with details of the FREE pre-show stuff that's taking place on Friday - also, Wrestle Kingdom is under a week away! Get hype.

The Friday pre-show stuff seems to be a compilation of past Wrestle Kingdom moments and a chance to watch the ring being constructed ahead of WK8 itself.

Lastly, this past Monday New Japan capped off a fantastic 2013 with one hell of a main event tag match, involving the four major players at WK8 - if you're on the fence about whether to give New Japan a chance or not, let this AWESOME match convince you;

Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tetsuya Naito vs Shinsuke Nakamura & Kazuchika Okada - (NJPW 12/23/13)

ixkXXPb6tgxs9.gif
iuNhRt1l1p9q2.gif
iuXDmUX2aLnMn.gif

ghostmind

Updated the OP with details of the FREE pre-show stuff that's taking place on Friday - also, Wrestle Kingdom is under a week away! Get hype.

The Friday pre-show stuff seems to be a compilation of past Wrestle Kingdom moments and a chance to watch the ring being constructed ahead of WK8 itself.

Lastly, this past Monday New Japan capped off a fantastic 2013 with one hell of a main event tag match, involving the four major players at WK8 - if you're on the fence about whether to give New Japan a chance or not, let this AWESOME match convince you;

Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tetsuya Naito vs Shinsuke Nakamura & Kazuchika Okada - (NJPW 12/23/13)

ixkXXPb6tgxs9.gif
iuNhRt1l1p9q2.gif
iuXDmUX2aLnMn.gif

Just finished the match - it is a great primer on the 4 main players at Tokyo Dome. I still think it will be Okada over Naito and Tanahashi over Nakamura.

Just finished the match - it is a great primer on the 4 main players at Tokyo Dome. I still think it will be Okada over Naito and Tanahashi over Nakamura.

Yeah, that's my prediction as well - can't see them putting the belt on Naito after his run-in to the Dome has been so lacklustre and Tanahashi's got to win, because he's already 0-2 against Shinsuke at the Tokyo Dome. Should be a fantastic pair of matches, though.

GhaleonQ

My Bomaye shirt is nice and fresh, my card is ready, and...my nephews' baptism is that weekend and I'm delivering a message. I guess whenever I look at pictures of that momentous event and the dark circles under my eyes, I'll remember, "That's the night I stayed up to watch Nakamura wrestle the match of his life." I hope, anyway!

Nice post, Bootaaay.

After the announcement of Muta I've decided to switch my pick to him and Yano. Should be the night's comedy match but it should still be tons of fun. Looking forward to seeing Muta and Shelton dragon screwing the shit out of each other.

Anyway, I'm hoping Nakamura's loss of the IC belt will allow Okada to take over CHAOS, forcing Nakamura to take some members into a new faction...a CHAOS Wolfpack, perhaps? I'm guessing Nakamura's would feature the veterans (Yano, Iizuka, Ishii, Tanaka, maybe Jado and Gedo if they can get Gedo away from being Okada's mouthpiece), while Okada would have the young guys (Yujiro, YOSHI-HASHI, Barreta, Kendrick, the Forever Hooligans). Either way, it would lead to a Nakamura/Okada feud which would be stiff as all hell.

I know I've been barking this way for years, but I also hope this is finally Goto's year. I've been a mark of his since the CTU days, and have always been pissed off when the company seems gung-ho about finally giving him an IWGP title run...before jobbing him out at the last second and going with Tanahashi instead. I could see Goto finally snapping this year, beating the shit out of Tanahashi, turning heel, and feuding with him over the IC belt. True, it's a retread of what they did with Prince Devitt this past year, but Goto/Tanahashi matches are always fun. I expect Devitt to likely get moved into the IC title hunt as well with his last gasp as Jr. champ likely happening at the Dome, going back to his feud with Tanahashi.

Speaking of the Jr. division, Ibushi winning the title, while nice, doesn't fix the problem with the lack of talent in division, which right now consists of the old guard (Liger, Tiger Mask), guys mostly in the Jr. Tag division, gaijin that spend time in the US as well, and a total jobber in BUSHI. Taguchi should be coming back from injury soon, which sort of fixes the problem, but NJPW might have to start looking at outsider talent to give Ibushi some competition as champ.

maybe Jado and Gedo if they can get Gedo away from being Okada's mouthpiece

Neeever going to happen (at least not for a few years).

1. Okada and Gedo are bros.

2. Gedo is a huge part of Okada's act.

3. Okada and Gedo are bros.

iHkflTCbXXJS1.gif

ipWq6emJ8AeuZ.gif

tumblr_mk8qb0Uvk11qkz8azo1_500.gif

If I had a picture of Gedo's Raintaker money, I'd post it.

I know I've been barking this way for years, but I also hope this is finally Goto's year. I've been a mark of his since the CTU days, and have always been pissed off when the company seems gung-ho about finally giving him an IWGP title run...before jobbing him out at the last second and going with Tanahashi instead. I could see Goto finally snapping this year, beating the shit out of Tanahashi, turning heel, and feuding with him over the IC belt. True, it's a retread of what they did with Prince Devitt this past year, but Goto/Tanahashi matches are always fun.

I'm almost certain he was going to win the G1 this year and I wouldn't be at all surprised if 2014 is the year they finally make good on Goto's promise. I could either see him facing Okada at the big Yokohama Arena show in May, or winning the G1 and facing whoever's champ at WK9. Hopefully he steers clear of the New Japan Cup - another victory would really cement him as Mr. NJC, whereas what he needs is the IWGP title.

GodDuckman said:
Speaking of the Jr. division, Ibushi winning the title, while nice, doesn't fix the problem with the lack of talent in division, which right now consists of the old guard (Liger, Tiger Mask), guys mostly in the Jr. Tag division, gaijin that spend time in the US as well, and a total jobber in BUSHI. Taguchi should be coming back from injury soon, which sort of fixes the problem, but NJPW might have to start looking at outsider talent to give Ibushi some competition as champ.

I think there's a fair few matches for Ibushi that are pretty fresh - he could have defences against Liger & Tiger Mask, which would be fun, plus, the likes of TAKA Michinoku, Taichi, BUSHI, KUSHIDA, Shelley, Koslov, Romero, etc. A few CMLL guys, La Sombra, Titan, Rush, etc. Ricochet if he's not WWE-bound. As well as Taguchi, whenever he returns.

LiquidSolid said:
If I had a picture of Gedo's Raintaker money, I'd post it.

ibrxi0CXbTiyTR.gif

Khrysler Jerikho said:
Still can't get over the finishing sequence of that tag match.

Yeah, it was ridiculously well done. Loved the finish. All four guys are easily at the top of the game and they clearly showed it in that match.

Forgot to list mine: (choices also in bold)

Grudge Match: Toru Yano & Great Muta vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki & Shelton Benjamin)

Aiii

So not worth it
WRESTLE KINGDOM PREDICTION TIME!

Grudge Match: Toru Yano & Great Muta vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki & Shelton Benjamin)

New Japan's English Facebook page seems to think the Korakuen Hall show 'New Years Dash' on 01/05 will be an iPPV as well. Only confirmed matches so far are Rob Conway & Jax Dane defending the NWA Tag Titles against TenKoji, plus, the debut of masked wrestler El Desperado (the former Kyosuke Mikami, who has been on a long learning excursion to CMLL).

GodDuckman said:
After the announcement of Muta I've decided to switch my pick to him and Yano. Should be the night's comedy match but it should still be tons of fun. Looking forward to seeing Muta and Shelton dragon screwing the shit out of each other

I just can't see Yano winning again - Suzuki's got to get his revenge and end the feud already. I think Muta will turn on Yano, at some point during the match.

ghostmind

My predictions:

• IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: The Young Bucks (Nick & Matt Jackson) © vs Suzuki-gun (TAKA Michinoku & Taichi) vs Forever Hooligans (Rocky Romero & Alex Koslov) vs TIME SPLITTERS (Alex Shelley & KUSHIDA)
  • IWGP Heavyweight Tag Titles: K.E.S. (Lance Archer & Davey Boy Smith Jr) © vs BULLET CLUB ('Machinegun' Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows)
  • NWA World Heavyweight Title: Rob Conway © vs Satoshi Kojima
  • Special Challenge Match: Yuji Nagata & Kazushi Sakuraba vs Daniel & Rolles Gracie
  • Grudge Match: Toru Yano & Great Muta vs Suzuki-gun (Minoru Suzuki & Shelton Benjamin)
  • King of Destroyer Match: Togi Makabe vs Bad Luck Fale
  • Goto Return Match: Hirooki Goto vs Katsuyori Shibata
  • IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Prince Devitt © vs Kota Ibushi
  • IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada © vs Tetsuya Naito
  • IWGP Intercontinental Title: Shinsuke Nakamura © vs Hiroshi Tanahashi

Predictions!

Sadly I won't be able to watch it live because I've got to go to my nephews birthday. Gutted but I'll watch it on Sunday.

tm24

I still don't know who is the spanish announce team. I wish they would announce these things much earlier

Tanahashi & Nakamura with Stan Hansen;

002ePwF.jpg

Nakamura & Hansen & Harley Race;

K3JR7pe.jpg

KUSHIDA posted up the contract for the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Title match;

Fq1OCvs.jpg

Some cosplay fans, lol;

g4Mtpsl.jpg

I still don't know who is the spanish announce team. I wish they would announce these things much earlier

Yeah, they've been very unclear on the whole thing - apparently they removed mention of the Spanish broadcast on the ustream page, so I don't know if it fell through or if they're still doing it or what.

liger05

Tanahashi & Nakamura with Stan Hansen;

002ePwF.jpg

Nakamura & Hansen & Harley Race;

K3JR7pe.jpg

KUSHIDA posted up the contract for the IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Title match;

Fq1OCvs.jpg

Some cosplay fans, lol;

g4Mtpsl.jpg

Yeah, they've been very unclear on the whole thing - apparently they removed mention of the Spanish broadcast on the ustream page, so I don't know if it fell through or if they're still doing it or what.

Always wondered what the Oaths say. Classy!!

Good that they fly in vets as well. Hansen has been used before but to get Race out to Japan as well is a quality from New Japan.

I need to order this when I get home. I'm hyped cause I will plug my laptop into the tv. Can watch this show on my couch.

Good times.

Comments from the final press conference ahead of Wrestle Kingdom;

- Horace Gracie said the Gracie brothers want to prove Gracie Jui Jitsu is the real king of sports against family rival Kazushi Sakuraba and Yuji Nagata.

- Satoshi Kojima said he wants to avenge his previous loss by beating Rob Conway and winning his NWA World Heavyweight Championship.

- Rob Conway, who was joined by NWA President Bruce Tharpe, said he wants to prove the NWA is the top organization in the world by winning in the top organization in Japanese wrestling.

- Former NWA champion Harley Race posed for photos with Coway, Kojima, Tharpe, and Jax Dane.

- Karl Anderson and Doc Gallows were joined by fellow Bullet Club member Tama Tonga, letting the world know Bullet Club is real.

- Lance Archer said that Killer Elite Squad was more real than Bullet Club.

- Taka Michinoki and TAICHI were goofing off, talking about becoming high-flyers.

- Rocky Romero called everyone else in the Jr. Tag Team match stupid and said Forver Hooligans would be champions again forever.

- KUSHIDA said Time Splitters would win NJPW’s first ever 4-way tag team match.

- Matt Jackson said the Young Bucks would bring the titles to California. He closed by saying “suck it” and “Bullet Club for life”.

- Prince Devitt did not attend the event.

- Kota Ibushi said he’s looking forward to the match and a victory.

- Bad Luck Fale simply said Makabe would be his next victim.

- An impassioned Togi Makabe said he wants to finish Fale off in less than five minutes.

- Minoru Suzuki demanded The Great Muta show himself, while Yano kept mocking Suzuki for getting angry.

- Yano spit water into the air is if it was Muta’s mist and ran off. Suzuki and Benjamin attacked personnel around the ring in anger after they were held back from attacking Yano.

- Stan Hansen was present as Tanahashi and Nakamura spoke.

- Hiroshi Tanahashi thanked the fans for all the support they’ve given him. He wants the passion and intensity of the Tokyo Dome to be felt not just throughout Japan, but the entire world. He plans on closing out the show with a victory and some new songs on his air guitar.

- Shinsuke Nakamura said the Intercontinental Championship main eventing Wrestle Kingdom is a testament to his innovation and creation of a new, modern style. He asked Tanahashi is he was ready.

- Naito said he’s happy to be back in the Tokyo Dome after two years. He’ll shut Okada’s loud mouth in the ring. Naito said he was the hero of this story.

- Okada said he would definitively prove he was the best, and that money would rain from the sky.

- Katsuyori Shibata said he’s firmly committed to pro-wrestling.

- Hirooki Goto said he’s looking forward to getting back into the ring with full force.

Also, the Past Battles of Wrestle Kingdom pre-show is just finishing up, but airs again at the following times;

00:00 CET | 23:00 GMT | 18:00 EST | 15:00 PST

With the following matches;

• Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - Wrestle Kingdom II - 2008.01.04
  • Keiji Mutoh (c) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - Wrestle Kingdom III - 2009.01.04
  • Shinsuke Nakamura (c) vs Yoshihiro Takayama - Wrestle Kingdom IV - 2010.01.04
  • Satoshi Kojima (c) vs Hiroshi Tanahashi - Wrestle Kingdom V - 2011.01.04
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Minoru Suzuki - Wrestle Kingdom VI - 2012.01.04
  • Hiroshi Tanahashi (c) vs Kazuchika Okada - Wrestle Kingdom VII - 2013.01.04
Plus, the free Ring Construction pre-show kicks off in an hour or so at http://www.ustream.tv/njpwsub

21:00 CET | 20:00 GMT | 15:00 EST | 12:00 PST

tm24

The hype train! My brother is even watching. He likes wrestling and will watch WWE when it gets good, so hopefully he enjoys it

Yano spit water into the air is if it was Muta’s mist and ran off. Suzuki and Benjamin attacked personnel around the ring in anger after they were held back from attacking Yano.

this match is going to be so good. CAnt wait for Yano antics

Evening Musuko

Black Korea
Just ordered and I am hyped! I'm gonna sleep in a bit then wake up to watch it.

And predictions

The only ones I'm pretty sure are going to happen are the last three. I'd like to see Bullet Club get a clean sweep, but I can't really see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom