• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: "Microsoft Plots Original TV Shows for Xbox"

GameSeeker

New Wall Street Journal Article (behind their usual paywall):

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...=WSJ_hp_LEFTWhatsNewsCollection&mg=reno64-wsj

Fair use excerpt:
Microsoft Corp. next week plans to reveal hints of its original video programming for the Xbox.

Microsoft is producing TV-like series in an effort to broaden the appeal of the console beyond videogame devotees. Shows will include a reality-style series about soccer and a documentary about a landfill with discarded Atari games.

Microsoft lured Ms. Nancy Tellem from CBS Corp. in September 2012 to bolster the Xbox's standing as a hub for home entertainment. She hired more than 150 people, including dozens to court veteran makers of movies and TV shows to create programming for the Xbox. Ms. Tellem several times pushed back the planned time frame to launch the first batch of programs.

Ms. Tellem recently told Bloomberg News the first of more than a dozen planned shows will appear in June. The programming includes an expected series from director Steven Spielberg based on the videogame "Halo," and a version of Swedish sci-fi show "Humans."

Hollywood officials who have spoken with Xbox executives say Ms. Tellem's group plans initially to focus on the device's prime demographic of young men. Subsequent offerings will try to appeal to a wider audience. They've described two types of programming: cable-like scripted shows and bite-sized fare like sketch comedy pieces.

On Podcast unlocked one of the guys on that (Ryan?) said he saw stuff for it last week and the embargo ends on Monday, said it was Netflix like I think but not 100% sure on context.

If they give program to XBL Gold members for free that would be pretty good (and in every region) and you know, I might actually watch some of it then

No one is going to pay $500 and $60 a year to watch TV shows....

No, but if they happened to already have the box and the sub they might watch it (and its free) plus it might be on 360 I guess? Which isn't $500

Riki

On Podcast unlocked one of the guys on that (Ryan?) said he saw stuff for it last week and the embargo ends on Monday, said it was Netflix like I think but not 100% sure on context.

If they give program to XBL Gold members for free that would be pretty good (and in every region) and you know, I might actually watch some of it then

No, but if they happened to already have the box and the sub they might watch it (and its free) plus it might be on 360 I guess? Which isn't $500

Then let me rephrase. No one is going to buy a game console to watch exclusive TV shows.
This is a bonus to people who already own one, but it won't be a deciding factor for people to shell out money they wouldn't have otherwise. It seems really pointless as an XBox only thing.

If the shows are good enough people will come (see Game of Thrones, House of Cards), or they'll pirate the shit out of it, making the buzz around your platform even bigger.

Somehow I doubt a Halo show would be that good though.

Synth

Then let me rephrase. No one is going to buy a game console to watch exclusive TV shows.
This is a bonus to people who already own one, but it won't be a deciding factor for people to shell out money they wouldn't have otherwise. It seems really pointless as an XBox only thing.

Have they confirmed that you need an Xbox console to watch these?

Xbox Music and Xbox Video exist on more than just their consoles.

Riki

Have they confirmed that you need an Xbox console to watch these?

Xbox Music and Xbox Video exist on more than just their consoles.

Microsoft is producing TV-like series in an effort to broaden the appeal of the console beyond videogame devotees. Shows will include a reality-style series about soccer and a documentary about a landfill with discarded Atari games.

Seems fairly cut and dry from the article.

Sony is doing the same thing MS just pushing it more. You want them cancel all their TV plans

For consoles? You bet.

Vashetti

Banned
I like the use of the word "plots" as though they are standing over a cauldron and cackling.

This whole TVTVTV venture feels like such a waste of money.

Biker19

Banned
This sounds like such a bad idea. Maybe some will enjoy it, but it just sounds like they're focusing on everything but gaming.

Seriously. Despite Microsoft constantly saying they're focusing on gaming, they seem to do the exact opposite.

Exactly. And posters here still think that Microsoft is going to focus on games from now on?

That's why I didn't get my hopes up.

They've shown their true intentions last year. Anyone who falls for it again has only themselves to blame.

Exactly. They fell for Phil's PR hype.

Does Ms. Tellem have any relation to Soulja Boy?

Also, who the fuck will this sell consoles to? Who will seriously spend $450 + $60/year for the privilege of watching a few exclusive TV shows?

If the shows are good enough people will come (see Game of Thrones, House of Cards), or they'll pirate the shit out of it, making the buzz around your platform even bigger.

Somehow I doubt a Halo show would be that good though.

House of cards requires a $9 a month subscription. HBO is what? $20 a month?

Neither of those require a $500 purchase as well as a subscription.

This is a terrible idea and shows that MS continues to simply not understand the market.

Rembrandt

Banned
Seriously. Despite Microsoft constantly saying they're focusing on gaming, they seem to do the exact opposite.

How? This reminds me of everybody saying their E3 sucked because of TV, TV, TV, TV yet it was all games.

and we've known about this since, what, last year? Add on that Sony focuses on original programming, too, so.

ZehDon

Gold Member
with $499 price tag and $60 subscription, I don't think it's going to mainstream.
Basically. The problem with a "hybrid" approach is that its not appealing to anyone. Too expensive for the TV crowd, too under-powered and unfocused for the gaming crowd. Another poorly executed Microsoft venture.

I didn't say anyone would buy it for TV shows, but presumably people do use their video/movie store which is where this stuff will be and if its included with gold (which it should be) then I don't see the issue

Phil Spencer taking over head of Xbox in March 2014 vs Xbox Entertainment LA opened in 2013, or earlier? Just because its not "games" doesn't mean they shouldn't/can't do it. Its 2014, it should be an entertainment device the problem MS have had is that they positioned it as that first and said it was alongside/ahead of gaming (amongst other things).

If (big if) the content is actually good, thinking of the Halo TV show first then I don't see how this is a bad thing, I highly doubt its taken a single cent away from games development.

Presumably the info is coming out now as opposed to E3 to ensure that is about games.

Xbox video is also on Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 too iirc plus they could do deals with content providers? Don't know how that works.

Synth

Seems fairly cut and dry from the article.

That doesn't seem very cut and dry to me. I'd argue that Xbox Video and Xbox Music themselves were intended to expand the appeal of Xbox beyond just games. That hasn't led to them being inaccessible elsewhere.

Everyone's so quick to jump on them over this, but I don't see why there's an assumption that this is directly detracting from their gaming efforts. MS does a lot of things, now they're also making some TV shows. The only logical banner for these shows to fall under is Xbox... does everything other thing MS does always have to be at the expense of gaming?

Dragon

Banned
How? This reminds me of everybody saying their E3 sucked because of TV, TV, TV, TV yet it was all games.

and we've known about this since, what, last year? Add on that Sony focuses on original programming, too, so.

150 people dedicated to this. That's one AAA studio if we look at a company like Sucker Punch. What would you rather have? Their focus is all over the place.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Y'know, I just hope the shows are at least decent. That's all I really ask. MS can do whatever it wants, just don't waste my time.

hawk2025

I can't help but feel like this is a terrible waste of resources, time, and effort.

I hope I'm proven wrong, because I'm assuming that my Gold subscription will let me at least check out the TV shows that come out of this.

Rembrandt

Banned
150 people dedicated to this. That's one AAA studio if we look at a company like Sucker Punch. What would you rather have? Their focus is all over the place.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with it. If they're finding ways to expand and offer more entertainment on their consoles, what's wrong with it? They delivered the games so far, so if they keep it up while offering multimedia content that I might like, why complain?

Prine

Banned
They've shown their true intentions last year. Anyone who falls for it again has only themselves to blame.

Yeah, by showing off a bunch of exclusives last year? So many jumping to conclusions here, theyve barely published much details about this initiative. They also launched Viva Pinata series on 360, bunch of Alan Wake webisodes, Halo anime/series this seems like an extension of that.

Doesnt seem like anything was taken away from gaming, if they have money unrelated to gaming they want to invest, its no crime for them to do so.

Leb

The answer to this may be behind the paywall, but will this programming be made available in, say, an ad-supported capacity to persons without the X1 (at some point down the road)?

Top Bottom