• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: "Microsoft Plots Original TV Shows for Xbox"

Synth

Resources are finite. Things have opportunity costs.

Whilst true, I think that makes a poor argument at times like these. Going strictly by that, anything else MS ever attempts to do, outside of making Xbox games is a reason to claim they're not focused on games, they lied to us, blah blah blah. If they opened two more studios with the budget allocated to this, then attempt to do this afterwards anyway, the responses would be pretty much identical.

I mean, how should they go about this exactly? Let's just imagine this is a completely separate initiative for a second... complete divorced from Xbox. MS simply wants to make some TV shows ala Netflix. To avoid pissing everyone off, should they start up a separate branch named Microsoft Pictures, then throw their stuff on a service that isn't Xbox Video? Is there anyway Microsoft, a huge company that has many initiatives, is allowed to make a TV show without it being bullshit in the eyes of gamers, that are completely fine with when other companies do something similar?

How lucrative is it to confine these original TV shows to 2 platforms?

Well we don't know the deals for getting access to the content, but Xbox Video is on XB1/360/W8/WP8 so its not just a console thing (although WP8 probably doesn't add many users to the equation either admittedly)

Rembrandt

Banned
They are just acting like they are for the gamers so they can lure in gamers, once they get those they will switch back to their tv tv shit.

Don't forget they're also waiting to turn back on the DRM, clutter the dashboard with ads, and have kinect watch you while you're jacking off!

Prine

Banned
Don't forget they're also waiting to turn back on the DRM, clutter the dashboard with ads, and have kinect watch you while you're jacking off!

So that means Quantum Break features 30 mins of gameplay and 30 hours of TVTVTVTVTV. The gamers will never know!

EBE

Sounds cool to me. If they can make quality programs I don't see why this isn't anything but a nice little bonus.

hawk2025

Why is it one or the other? That's the thing people can't understand for some reason. Hey if Microsoft is making game series they cancelled every game. No games. No games at all. Its just silly.

Whilst true, I think that makes a poor argument at times like these. Going strictly by that, anything else MS ever attempts to do, outside of making Xbox games is a reason to claim they're not focused on games, they lied to us, blah blah blah. If they opened two more studios with the budget allocated to this, then attempt to do this afterwards anyway, the responses would be pretty much identical.

I mean, how should they go about this exactly? Let's just imagine this is a completely separate initiative for a second... complete divorced from Xbox. MS simply wants to make some TV shows ala Netflix. To avoid pissing everyone off, should they start up a separate branch named Microsoft Pictures, then throw their stuff on a service that isn't Xbox Video? Is there anyway Microsoft, a huge company that has many initiatives, is allowed to make a TV show without it being bullshit in the eyes of gamers, that are completely fine with when other companies do something similar?

I'm sorry, are you two sure you quoted the right person? Why are you misconstructing what I said?

They are just acting like they are for the gamers so they can lure in gamers, once they get those they will switch back to their tv tv shit.

Don't be silly.

The only thing that will get me to buy an X1 right now is Halo 5/Halo TV series news. Of which nothing seems to be coming out of the 343i vault. I guess I will just have to keep waiting.

hawk2025

The only thing that will get me to buy an X1 right now is Halo 5/Halo TV series news. Of which nothing seems to be coming out of the 343i vault. I guess I will just have to keep waiting.

Even if Halo 5 doesn't come out this year, I think it's quite safe to assume that we will see something of it at E3.

MightyKAC

At this point all my X1 does is Netflix and YouTube. Might as well make shows for it.

It seems like both MS and Sony are eyeing the Netflix VOD market by offering exclusive shows on their respective networks.

Makes sense if they wanna use this infrastructure they've make to bring in both video as well and gaming revenue.

Phil said recently they have a great plan for halo, h2a (if rumours are true) and h5 will be at e3, I'm not sure if the halo tv stuff fits into that or whether we might get some news on that Monday

jaypah

Exactly. And posters here still think that Microsoft is going to focus on games from now on?

That's why I didn't get my hopes up.

Exactly. They fell for Phil's PR hype.

So you don't think they can do both? I mean, I understand your position. You said you've eaten a ban to declare disdain for MS and that you'd do it again. But damn, people are flipping out. They're going to have exclusive programming. It's not the first time that this has happened. We are supposedly getting info about it soon as opposed to at E3, which is supposed to be about games. Naturally I don't expect you to believe them, even if they actually show some cool games. But to use this as confirmation of "see, I told you they weren't about the games!" is just wishful thinking. For the record I'll probably never watch these things (though I thought they were doing a Nas thing and I'd watch that) but I don't see why this necessarily has to mean that they have no games or don't give a shit about games.

SPDIF

What "agenda?" Please don't start some shit. I just made a mistake.

Whether you want to call it an agenda or not, pretty much anyone who frequents the gaming side often enough will know that you have an obvious bias towards Sony and that you hate MS. I don't think anyone's "starting some shit" by pointing that out. They're just stating the obvious.

Synth

I'm sorry, are you two sure you quoted the right person? Why are you misconstructing what I said?

I'm not accusing you of saying that. I'm just stating the problem I see with adhering to strictly to the opportunity cost angle. It's other people, not you that have been claiming that MS has been BS'ing us all along due to the existence of anything that's not a game project, but "opportunity cost" is exactly the line of reasoning they're following to reach this conclusion, which is the reason why I quoted you. Your post worked well as a summary of where most of the complaints are coming from. It wasn't intended to be combative.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
This is precisely why i was cynical about Phil Spencer's recent "games games games" PR.

Phil Spencer literally just became Head of Xbox and this stuff was planned during 2013 (if not sooner). They are NOT going to suddenly stop development of TV shows already being planned and implemented. Spencer never said Xbox is going to be ONLY games, he said that games are going to be the primary focus with the entertainment stuff being secondary (but still an important part of Xbox). The original TV shows and possibly Netflix-like service doesn't contradict that. If anything, it may bring more value to the Gold membership if all of this is free for Gold.

ZehDon

Gold Member
... h2a (if rumours are true) and h5 will be at e3, I'm not sure if the halo tv stuff fits into that or whether we might get some news on that Monday
Are you sure we're getting both? Standing on stage, and performing some variation of "And here's Halo 5! Looks great, doesn't it? While you wait for it, please buy a full priced remake of Halo 2! It sure looks... uh... less great!" doesn't seem like it'll go over well. Either Halo 5 gets shown up by Halo 2, or Halo 2 looks awful compared to Halo 5. Either way, one of their big ticket items comes off looking second class. Say what we will about Microsoft, but they're not stupid enough to fall into that trap.

Rembrandt

Banned
I swear, if y'all are gonna start shit, don't post. I don't want to get evil on anyone like I did with Louis.

I feel like you're oblivious to your posts or at least the impression they give.

Are you sure we're getting both? Standing on stage, and performing some variation of "And here's Halo 5! Looks great, doesn't it? While you wait for it, please buy a full priced remake of Halo 2! It sure looks... uh... less great!" doesn't seem like it'll go over well. Either Halo 5 gets shown up by Halo 2, or Halo 2 looks awful compared to Halo 5. Either way, one of their big ticket items comes off looking second class. Say what we will about Microsoft, but they're not stupid enough to fall into that trap.

They could show off gameplay of H2:A and at the end, finish it with a trailer of Halo 5 saying that the beta will be included in H2:A. Worked with Crackdown.

Seem like we will definitely be hearing about this very soon, considering Phil has hyped this E3 up as all about the games ("no hype"). So if they are true to their word, they gotta get this out of the way before E3.

However, I cannot imagine they would totally just skip talking about this, or showing it, or describing the price structure, etc. at E3. Who knows.

They will only show a trailer for Halo 5. It's still more than a year away so it wont take away from Halo 2 for xbox one.

airborn

Humans is apparently a co-production with Channel 4:

Channel 4 and Microsoft’s Xbox Entertainment Studios today announced an innovative co-production deal for bold new drama series Humans, based on the hit Swedish sci-fi drama Real Humans. Produced by award-winning Kudos (Emmy Award-winning The Hour, Utopia, Broadchurch, The Tunnel) the new 8 x 60 series will share a 2015 premiere broadcast window on both Channel 4 in the UK and the Xbox platform in North America.

rrc1594

Seem like we will definitely be hearing about this very soon, considering Phil has hyped this E3 up as all about the games ("no hype"). So if they are true to their word, they gotta get this out of the way before E3.

However, I cannot imagine they would totally just skip talking about this, or showing it, or describing the price structure, etc. at E3. Who knows.

Wouldn't Comic-Con be a better place

Well, by that I meant they'll announce h2a, what it contains (+ h3/4 ports too per ntkrnl) and then say it comes with halo 5 beta with that due in fall 2015 or something, a trailer for h2a which mentions the beta and has a little clip in it or something.

ivysaur12

Banned
How lucrative is it to confine these original TV shows to 2 platforms?

The Tester was great and I'm sure The Guild had amazing downloads on 360 but it seems a bit risky in the Amazon Prime/Netflix/Redbox Instant/Crackle/Hulu/etc. age to limit programming to a specific platform (with Gold required).

Even the Playstation themed programming seems asinine in the same sense.

Potentially very lucrative, though it makes more sense for Sony to pursue it because Sony Television is already a working entity and Sony doesn't actually have own any English-language script content providers, unless you count AXN?

Wouldn't Comic-Con be a better place

Sure, but the article says we should be seeing it this week, and the IGN rumor was an embargo lifts on Monday, so that would fit in my silly comment of getting this out of the way before E3, and there seems to be some smoke it is coming this week.

Well, by that I meant they'll announce h2a, what it contains (+ h3/4 ports too per ntkrnl) and then say it comes with halo 5 beta with that due in fall 2015 or something, a trailer for h2a which mentions the beta and has a little clip in it or something.

what? i doubt halo 3 and 4 are bundle with halo 2.

will watch. already subscribed to live, so this is a bonus.

If it is a part of Live, then sure, added value. But there is nothing to hint at that at all at this point. However, I wouldn't be shocked if they try to charge an extra fee for this. That would seem silly. I would just hope they wouldn't. I am just not ready to "jump in" and just assume it is part of the Live package, not yet.

Top Bottom