• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: "Microsoft Plots Original TV Shows for Xbox"

jamiept

Banned
But aren't Netflix and amazon both doing it? Surely most people won't have both subs there either? Not to mention those services signing up other exclusive content.

That's very frustrating as a simple consumer that would like to just watch TV on my streaming service without worrying about which service to subscribe to, or which app to launch.

More choice could lead to a better variety of content

Pick one service and stick with it. No harm done.

Mindwipe

UK trade mag Broadcast has an article on this in the most recent issue (paywalled online, sorry). It says that MS have only bought the rights to Humans in the US, though they have first option in the rest of the world *except* the UK, where Channel 4 have multiple years exclusivity as co-production financier.

After seeing the kinds of great shows Netflix has put out, I can get behind this.

Interestingly, Humans is a co-production with Channel 4 (UK) so it won't just be available through XBL. Also has the writers from Spooks working on it...(the Swedish version has a fair bit of nudity in it, will be interesting to see if that carries over or not)

It's a good show by the way. Check it out. (it's called Real Humans)

Nydius

There's already entirely too many series locked behind premium paywalls. Netflix and Hulu have added to the already extensive list of pay-for-premium cable providers who all want you to pay extra for their shows.

Microsoft trying to enter that realm with the Xbox brand is nothing short of foolish. There's a ridiculous amount of competition and premium show concepts are stretched to a breaking point. The likelihood that they'll have anything close to House of Cards, or Game of Thrones, or even The Borgias or Black Sails is minimal. The brutal reality of the situation is whatever they try to show will simply end up getting pirated and passed around the internet - it won't turn into some magical value-add that sells XBO systems or even premium Live subs.

Microsoft should stick to offering a content delivery device rather than try to become a premium content provider.

Why would it ever be free? A brand new media service that costs billions to produce and MS, of all companies, will be charitable with its distribution?

Mmkay.
I'm going to call it out now, Whats going to happen is that the shows will go up on Xbox Video. Xbox Video already has the ability for you to purchase a season of a series and get all future episodes within that season as they come out. They will definitely have that option for people who either don't have Gold or don't want to subscribe to a hypothetical Xbox Video Pass, which I'm assuming will likely also come out which will give you access to all Microsoft Original Programming.

It wont be bundled into Gold, it will be its own separate thing for if you want it. If anything, I could see them potentially giving all Xbox One Owners a free couple months, or free year of this new hypothetical Video Pass to attempt getting people hooked into it.

Thats like saying Sony should stop milking Spiderman to stop the delays.

Only Sony owns and operates film and tv studios so it's a natural part of it's business, completely separate from it's gaming division.

Microsoft doesn't own and operate film studios, hence the Xbox brand is paying for the production. The Xbox Brand that should be paying for new games.

Microsofts money would be better off buying people a netflix license and letting them have free access to netflix through XBL. This whole making a TV show is just a stupid terrible idea.

I understand why people spin this as a negative. Its sad that people do through the trouble to make content a bad thing. Microsoft have a console with a damn solid lineup in 2014 and already quite a few exclusive games worth playing but they just don't want gamers to give them money. I predict in a couple years we will start seeing threads pop up, "I bought an Xbox one despite all the internet bullshit and guess what its actually a great console!"

There's already entirely too many series locked behind premium paywalls. Netflix and Hulu have added to the already extensive list of pay-for-premium cable providers who all want you to pay extra for their shows.

Microsoft trying to enter that realm with the Xbox brand is nothing short of foolish. There's a ridiculous amount of competition and premium show concepts are stretched to a breaking point. The likelihood that they'll have anything close to House of Cards is minimal. The brutal reality of the situation is whatever they try to show will simply end up getting pirated and passed around the internet - it won't turn into some magical value-add that sells XBO systems or even premium Live subs.

Microsoft should stick to offering a content delivery device rather than try to become a premium content provider.

Far too early to say that. Humans is a remake of a solid show, they have quality writers working on it and with it being a co-production, they have more flexibility with funding.

UK trade mag Broadcast has an article on this in the most recent issue (paywalled online, sorry). It says that MS have only bought the rights to Humans in the US, though they have first option in the rest of the world *except* the UK, where Channel 4 have multiple years exclusivity as co-production financier.

Yeah, it's currently a 8 part mini series and will start filming over the next couple of months. Sam Vincent and Jonathan Brackley are working on adapting the show.

By the way, whatever happened to that Ryse : Son of Rome tv show?

It was a web series. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxDtKNN0Wtc

Walshicus

Yeah because people are going to drop 400 on a game console for a TV show. In not sure thru have thought this through.

How many people buy a games console for a single reason? We purchase them based on a number of factors - another positive will not hurt them.

Jomjom

Banned
Really funny to see people try to spin this into something negative. Even if the shows were the worst ever it still wouldnt be a negative point for the xbone. Its not as if 343 or Remedy is being sent to film a damn tv show. This has absolutely no effect on the output of games.

Nydius

I'm going to call it out now, Whats going to happen is that the shows will go up on Xbox Video. Xbox Video already has the ability for you to purchase a season of a series and get all future episodes within that season as they come out. They will definitely have that option for people who either don't have Gold or don't want to subscribe to a hypothetical Xbox Video Pass, which I'm assuming will likely also come out which will give you access to all Microsoft Original Programming.

That's what I figure most people envision but even in that best case scenario Microsoft is several years too late. As previously mentioned, they're going to be competing against Netflix and Hulu who have added their own premium shows, plus all of the established cable providers who have their own premium shows and their own digital delivery formats (e.g. HBOGo).

Right now, Xbox Video is a content delivery/content consumption service that already loses to competing Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon services. There's no incentive for anyone to buy into "Microsoft Original Programming" on Xbox Video and there's so much competition for "premium show" subscription dollars that Microsoft would have to bring something as big as GoT to even make a splash.

Jomjom

Banned
That's what I figure most people envision but even in that best case scenario Microsoft is several years too late. As previously mentioned, they're going to be competing against Netflix and Hulu who have added their own premium shows, plus all of the established cable providers who have their own premium shows and their own digital delivery formats (e.g. HBOGo).

Right now, Xbox Video is a content delivery/content consumption service that already loses to competing Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon services. There's no incentive for anyone to buy into "Microsoft Original Programming" on Xbox Video and there's so much competition for "premium show" subscription dollars that Microsoft would have to bring something as big as GoT to even make a splash.

This isnt like getting into tablets or phones late where getting in the market early means you get brand loyalty and more support. All MS needs is to make a good show on the level of Breaking Bad or House of Cards and people will be more than happy to sub to watch. Theres no such thing as too late in this case. Especially when you have tens of millions of gold subscribers who are already in that ecosystem and would likely get access to the shows for free or at a discounted rate.

EvB

Seems like such a waste of resources.

So is windows, office and buying Nokia, they should use that money make a sequel to Battletoads.

I've heard Sony are shutting down Sony Pictures as they would rather provide fans with more indie games on PS+

EGM1966

Really funny to see people try to spin this into something negative. Even if the shows were the worst ever it still wouldnt be a negative point for the xbone. Its not as if 343 or Remedy is being sent to film a damn tv show. This has absolutely no effect on the output of games.
If the shows are the worst ever it clearly will be a negative point - it'll deliver the message MS exclusive media content is shit : which I don't know about you but I'd consider that a negative association. For this to be positive for MS the content has to be decent at least if they're going to bother at all, otherwise they're going to take (justifiably) flack for diverting funds to produce a bunch of crap.

My own negative for this is that I'm negative about this whole trend of exclusive content for media services. I'm not going to buy into every service that is 99% the same content wise (Netflix, iLovefilm, Sony Media, MS Media, Sky, virgin, etc all of which are providing mostly the same films, TV shows and music each) just to get some premium and perhaps good content across each. This is a competitive model I don't like from a consumer perspective.

QaaQer

Doesn't Game of Thrones aim for the same demographic?

nope. Broadly speaking, HBO targets men and women 18-65 who (and this is the important part) who are willing to pay for programming. Traditionally entertainment programs have operated on the basis of selling audiences to advertisers, so what the audience wanted only mattered inssofar as you got them to tune in. And advertisers wanted certain demos, so shows where built for those needs.

So, GoT is a production aimed at people willing to pay money for it, you cannot use the traditional free-to-view demo categories with this. Hbo needs to keep their audience happy, many of which are women.

game-thrones-chart.jpg

Jomjom

Banned
Waste of money.

Which luckily MS has loads of. I dont see this as something strictly tied to xbox, it may start there, but i see it as MS investing some money to see if they can create an entirely new revenue stream for them. Even if it fails its not going to be something investors penalize the xbox divison for.

funkypie

Banned
Who cares why someone buys a console? The more content the better.

How many people buy a games console for a single reason? We purchase them based on a number of factors - another positive will not hurt them.

like others have said, wouldn't you prefer MS to spend the money on making new games? using a studio, writers, actors, all the usual stuff with tv and movies costs alot.

after all, they dropped the whole tv tv tv bollocks to focus back on games didn't they?

Prine

Banned
But Destiny is going to be on Xbox One as well. Those people don't have to go anywhere.

Facts aside, I doubt a TV show is going to keep people from buying a PS4. There's not really a precedent for that.

I know right, posters like him have convinced themselves Destiny isn't available anywhere but PS4.

If your a fan of Halo you'll get to play both Halo and Destiny on Xbox One. The additional content isn't big enough to miss out on Halo if your a fan of the series.

nope. Broadly speaking, HBO targets men and women 18-65 who (and this is the important part) who are willing to pay for programming. Traditionally entertainment programs have operated on the basis of selling audiences to advertisers, so what the audience wanted only mattered inssofar as you got them to tune in. And advertisers wanted certain demos, so shows where built for those needs.

So, GoT is a production aimed at people willing to pay money for it, you cannot use the traditional free-to-view demo categories with this.

game-thrones-chart.jpg

But isn't one of the biggest demos for GoT the 18 to 39 age range? Isn't that what's meant by the term 'young adult'.

That's an interesting site by the way...

Lz3iT0X.gif

http://www.wired.com/2013/06/women-game-of-thrones/

Microsoft has a threshold problem with the XB1. There isn't a single great reason to justify its purchase. There are just a lot of good reasons. The problem is that we value enjoyment by its greatest value, not by summing it up. For example all the little good times you've had during your daily life won't equal those one or two great vacations you took.

The XB1 needs that single experience. Once that threshold has been crossed then all these TV, football, and other multimedia feature will build on top of it. Right now there is nothing about the XB1 that is paining me because I don't have it. There is nothing nudging me each day saying "Buy it. You know you want to. Buy it." When I hear features like these new TV shows I think it'd be a shame to miss them if they really turn out good, but I already have a DVR full of shows that I haven't even gotten around to watching yet so it's no big deal. The XB1 needs a feature that I can't easily rationalise away.

You might then ask me what is that single great thing about the PS4. It is that the PS4 will give me the best console gaming experience. I know that when I put down my money to buy Destiny, Dragon Age Inquisition, or Evolve on the PS4, I'll be getting the best console version.

Jomjom

Banned
I know right, posters like him have convinced himself Destiny isn't available anywhere but PS4.

If your a fan of Halo you'll get to play both Halo and Destiny on Xbox One. The additional content isn't big enough to miss out on Halo if your a fan of the series.

I actually think despite all of Sony's comarketing, Destiny will end up doing better on Xbone, especially from an attach rate standpoint. MS fans know who Bungie is, im not so sure Sony fans do. Will be hilarious if that month's NPD shows higher sales for Destiny on Xbone.

Top Bottom