• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Sony Plans New PlayStation for Graphics-Heavy Games

I was initially concerned about all this as well. But after reading and absorbing.....this reads more like 4K media playback and/or greater graphical fidelity for PSVR. Or maybe a direct interface between the console and VR headset, eliminating the box. Either way, this doesn't come off to me as anything to do with actual disc based PS4 games. Rigs that do true 4K are thousands of dollars and they run hot as hell. There's no way Sony can do 4K console gaming right now without it A: being prohibitively, ludicrously expensive and B: creating fire hazards. I also find the idea of a console that plays all older/future games at 60fps to be silly. Regardless of what we all think, neither Sony nor MS are gonna do anything, ANYTHING that could even leave the impression early adopters made a mistake. I doubt Sony is willing to squander all that consumer goodwill and market leadership.

This honestly smells like PS4 slim to me. Or hell, even a controlled leak to gauge market reaction and derive feasibility. But a PS4 that plays actual disc based games incrementally better than what we all have now? Unlikely.

That makes a lot of sense to me.

I don't see anything wrong with discussing the hypothetical. I think the "fuck this I'm done with Sony/Consoles" posts are silly.

I'm arguing that if it does impact gaming the impact is going to be negligible. The people fearing a year 8 Xbox 360 versions of COD vs. Xbox One version on the PS4 when a PS4k is out is just crazy to me.

There are only three possible scenarios here..

1) PS4k has more horsepower for 4k video playback and a UHD Bluray player.
2) 1 + giving some of that increased horsepower out to devs, with marginal impact to visual fidelity in gaming, and possibly pushing 60fps PSVR games to 90fps
3) The thing costs $1000+ and can actually push 4k visuals.

3 is suicide. 1 and 2 would not impact OG PS4s in a negative way.

You're really going to argue semantics because of the use of the word "likely"?

1 is by far the most likely scenario.

2 is also quite feasible, and quite ok.

3 is self immolation, and virtually 100% unlikely to happen

I need the calm and soothing voice of Mark Cerny reassuring me that everything is gonna be allright coupled with a nice, warm tub to bring back peace in my head since chaos is ravaging inside it following the leaks of those rumours...

But we already have games struggling to reach a "good and steady" framerate (meaning 30fps) without another variation. Or do you think that having to care for another platform will not mean more work for the developers?

I think ideally Sony would be smart to keep the PS4 as a baseline for developers to put most of their work into, but then for those who would want a couple extra graphical perks, the PS4k will exist. For all we know, the PS4k could be the one that gets the unoptimized version of the game in favor of a couple ticks on the graphical feature box that a developer could turn on like we do on PC games in the settings. We just have no idea how Sony will handle this yet. I'm willing to wait and see how they do it. I really don't think they would alienate their largest userbase, but we will see.

I don't see anything wrong with discussing the hypothetical. I think the "fuck this I'm done with Sony/Consoles" posts are silly.

I'm arguing that if it does impact gaming the impact is going to be negligible. The people fearing a year 8 Xbox 360 versions of COD vs. Xbox One version on the PS4 when a PS4k is out is just crazy to me.

There are only three possible scenarios here..

1) PS4k has more horsepower for 4k video playback and a UHD Bluray player.
2) 1 + giving some of that increased horsepower out to devs, with marginal impact to visual fidelity in gaming, and possibly pushing 60fps PSVR games to 90fps
3) The thing costs $1000+ and can actually push 4k visuals.

3 is suicide. 1 and 2 would not impact OG PS4s in a negative way.

My issue with 2 is that if it's only "marginal" what would be the point of doing at all? If Sony was going to do such a controversial move as doing a mid gen upgrade it wouldn't make sense for them to half ass it and only give devs a tiny performance boost. If they do give devs a boost I'm fairly certain it'll be a significant one.

Jacqli

Good. Need a new ps4. My launch one sounds like an aircraft taking off. Also I'm guessing I can just change over my hdd to save P.T?
You can always try the proxy method. I only had the license (never downloaded it before) and I was able to get it through that.

Rembrandt

Banned
You're really going to argue semantics because of the use of the word "likely"?

i'm arguing semantics because i'm using likely as it was intended?

and don't the rumors suggest the upgrade is to get VR games running better? doesn't that like automatically indicate there will be some segregation somewhere down the line if they have to release a new console to guarantee their new device can run as its intended consistently?

The God

WSJ says that the new PS4 model will go alongside the OG PS4 model, so not a replacer. Given that the OG will be the one cheaper we can assume that it'll also be the one that sells more, so yeah, maybe we'll see an exclusive game for the PS4k but it seens it won't be too many.

One is too much.

What's your budget?
CPU-wise an I5 6600K is great for gaming and miles ahead of what they can put into consoles.
GPU: an GTX 970 or AMD Radeon R9 390 are affordable upper-class GPUs. (If your going for 4K on
PC though: GTX980ti)

Between, $800 and a $1000 more than likely. Wouldn't need a monitor, I'd be using the TV for that... Xbox One controller to play them ect. Is AMD still cheaper, yet comparable to Intel?

RK128

sounds like your preference is blinding your bias to be honest.

You admit consoles are mostly about games, and that's likely what people who buy them care about, and yet you say Xbox being upgraded is more attractive because of Windows? ummm...what? I thought consoles were about games? Why would people care about a more PC like OS with more apps?

You mention a bunch of stuff iPad can be used for, and yet a bunch of that stuff can be used on consoles, (Netflix, youtube, streaming) um..Ps3 was one of the top Netflix devices of all time? iPad is also a portable device, while consoles stay in your living room. The comparison is not really apt.

There's over 100 million people already embedded into Sony's ecosystem. Trophies, community, peers, price, marketing, and exclusives are all tied into what system people buy into. its not any one particular factor.

I'm sorry man, but your bias for PC or Windows in general is just coming through in spades here. It's your personal preferences clearly and that's fine, but some of your value prospects don't even make sense to a mainstream gamer who just plays Madden/2K/COD every year. Why would a Windows lite console or upgrading a PC to play games on be appealing to them? They don't care about productivity in the first place. Its like you guys don't understand why gamers buy consoles in the first place or something. There's a market that simply is not interested in having their productivity machine also be there gaming machine.

I'm just trying to make myself feel a bit better about this rumor :l. If the price is right, will get the PS4K thing. But now? Knowing little about it? Feel better getting a Microsoft console in the future. Sorry if my post was too long and if its a problem, will get rid of it.

And I have no bias with Windows; been a PlayStation gamers since the PS1 days and got every system but a PSP and PS4 so far. Love Sony and my Vita is one of my favorite handhelds out there.

Just feeling like I might lasp away from the Sony echo system going forward if the PS4K doesn't pan out right for me.

Anno

Between, $800 and a $1000 more than likely. Wouldn't need a monitor, I'd be using the TV for that... Xbox One controller to play them ect. Is AMD still cheaper, yet comparable to Intel?

Honestly you're better off going to this thread if you have a bunch of questions. Lots of nice folks there, will get you set up with anything you need.

yurinka

I think the new PS4 will have 4K support for video stuff, not for games. Other than that would be a huge mistake, it wouldn't make sense.

It wouldn't make sense to split the userbase and game development, to move Uncharted 4 at 4K would require a too expensive hardware that would kill sales, and piss off a big portion of the current userbase.

They are building a huge userbase, what they should do now is to get profit from that by releasing games and selling more consoles of this type instead of abandon it and to move somewhere else.

WSJ says that the new PS4 model will go alongside the OG PS4 model, so not a replacer. Given that the OG will be the one cheaper we can assume that it'll also be the one that sells more, so yeah, maybe we'll see an exclusive game for the PS4k but it seens it won't be too many.

I don't believe the bolded. Has any console maker ever been able to successfully support 2 different SKUs (not counting HHD sizes) without one eventually replacing the other? That part honestly reads like lip service. It reminds me of the DS launch where Nintendo said it'd be the 3rd pillar and wasn't a replacement for the GBA. If the PS4K does come out I fully expect it to phase out the OG model within a year of release.

Rembrandt

Banned
Feel free to quote this post and serve me some crow if I'm wrong.

That being said. PS4K will not have any exclusive games. I'll bet you a PSN giftcard on it if you'd like ;).

that's a deal. i guarantee you that PS4 PSVR owners will be disappointed if this turns out true. no man's sky might be break the seal.

PBY

Banned
I think the new PS4 will have 4K support for video stuff, not for games. Other than that would be a huge mistake, it wouldn't make sense.

It wouldn't make sense to split the userbase and game development, to move Uncharted 4 at 4K would require a too expensive hardware that would kill sales, and piss off a big portion of the current userbase.

That seems opposite to most of these leaks and reports though.

Serick

Married Member
it does when they are locked into the ecosystem. which is exactly what sony will try to do.

How so?

Games you have now aren't suddenly going to run worse because a PS4k comes out. They have no hold over you like Apple/Android does with their products.

Sony also doesn't have anywhere near the margin that Apple does on the PS4 so why would they have that kind of margin on the PS4k?

Locked in with trophies I guess?

I bet the power comes from a die shrink allowing them to clock the CPU and GPU higher. Like the Jaguar spec was originally 2GHz so they go from 1.6GHz to 2GHz. Then bump the GPU from 800 to 1000. Decent gains and no need to do alot of design work.

Corto

I disagree. History has shown time and time again, that devs/publishers love new hardware. They love showing how amazing their games look and with that in mind. It's clear that they'll choose the more powerful hardware to focus on instead in order to achieve that.

I'm using the word "port" loosely but my point is essentially, I fear the vanilla hardware owners will not be getting the same amount of effort towards our console as we've been getting so far.

Historically the most successful games and developers develop their games to modest spec devices. Blizzard, Valve, Riot Games. The most successful games ever (WoW, CS, LoL, DOTA2) target and make huge efforts to work at reasonable performance in weak hardware as the baseline and then work their way up adding bells and whistles to better hardware owners. This happens because of a very simple reason, they can't ignore a wide slice of their target audience. That's what will certainly happen with PS4/PS4.5 games development. Both devices will be very similar in terms of architecture as they will share an X86 framework , there won't exist a situation of jumping from an exotic custom created proprietary chip to another. The existence of a better performant hardware will only mean another hardware profile, a thing that most multiplatform developers already deal with as that's what happens in PC. With the additional advantage that in the case of the PS4/PS4.5 that will be automatic and transparent to the user. The software will auto-detect the device where it's running and adjust settings accordingly. There won't be a custom chosen profile option as in PC. And developers will always make sure that they target the PS4 as the baseline and then work their way up using the better hardware in the PS4.5 to improve performance and/or IQ if possible.

Initially I decided I wasn't going to participate in the 'PS4K' discussion, but I feel like there is an important aspect that is being forgotten.

Consoles were essentially designed as an affordable way for anyone to play the currently available games on the market.
They were affordable, it didn't require any technical knowledge, they could play all the current games, and they wouldn't need to be replaced for many years. Consoles were attractive because they were simple and much cheaper than PC's. Unlike a PC, you wouldn't need to upgrade it every couple years to play the latest games.

So why is everybody jumping on board the 'PS4K' train? An upgraded PS4 defeats the purpose of consoles. It costs the consumer more and requires the consumer to purchase additional hardware in order to play the latest games.

In my opinion, if consoles are going the 'PC' route, then why not just buy a PC and be done with it? A 'PS4K' would literally remove any advantage consoles had over a PC. Then you can upgrade when you want to, and not when Sony releases a new iteration.

I'm really having a hard time understanding why this is good for consumers.
In the most simplest form. I don't want to game on a PC because it's a PC!

lol..you guys are dense. You think consumers don't know Apple's phones are crazy expensive compared to the other competing phones and sometimes outclassed in tech? Not everyone is ignorant of tech specs. It's about brand, it's about comfort zone, it's about what your friends are doing, it's about trophies/gamer score, it's about familiarity, etc...

Consoles were not just about "here's a gaming experience without the fuss" either. That's just one of the benefits of them, not the reason they exist. Sony pushed new media formats with every console iteration. Nintendo innovated in a variety of markets with there platforms (analog stick, motion controls). There's a console market, and it's pretty big (even with the drop from last ten) and a PS4K is a device targeted at that market.

If you think consoles being attractive is just because they are some easier no frills PC experience, well, I think you need to enlighten yourself and talk to more people who game exclusively on consoles.

Historically the most successful games and developers develop their games to modest spec devices. Blizzard, Valve, Riot Games. The most successful games ever (WoW, CS, LoL, DOTA2) target and make huge efforts to work at reasonable performance in weak hardware as the baseline and then work their way up adding bells and whistles to better hardware owners. This happens because of a very simple reason, they can't ignore a wide slice of their target audience. That's what will certainly happen with PS4/PS4.5 games development. Both devices will be very similar in terms of architecture as they will share an X86 framework , there won't exist a situation of jumping from an exotic custom created proprietary chip to another. The existence of a better performant hardware will only mean another hardware profile, a thing that most multiplatform developers already deal with as that's what happens in PC. With the additional advantage that in the case of the PS4/PS4.5 that will be automatic and transparent to the user. The software will auto-detect the device where it's running and adjust settings accordingly. There won't be a custom chosen profile option as in PC. And developers will always make sure that they target the PS4 as the baseline and then work their way up using the better hardware in the PS4.5 to improve performance and/or IQ if possible.

You listed PC games and predominantly PC developers. Which is an entirely different ecosystem. Within the console sphere, devs always prioritize the newer consoles when it comes to their new games.

I'm just trying to make myself feel a bit better about this rumor :l. If the price is right, will get the PS4K thing. But now? Knowing little about it? Feel better getting a Microsoft console in the future. Sorry if my post was too long and if its a problem, will get rid of it.

And I have no bias with Windows; been a PlayStation gamers since the PS1 days and got every system but a PSP and PS4 so far. Love Sony and my Vita is one of my favorite handhelds out there.

Just feeling like I might lasp away from the Sony echo system going forward if the PS4K doesn't pan out right for me.
like I said, your preference is completely fine and it's not bad at all to feel negative about console refreshes. We all have our bias and preferences. I'm much more inclined to go along with this move than someone who say has a nice PC and a console for example.

I'm just speaking specifically to the tone of the thread moreso than you in particular. It just seems like people are speaking for the console audience in general. Which is ya know, 100+million people. I'm not sure people would really care that much or feel ripped off in anyway for a PS4K.

but we'll see soon enough...Exciting year that's for sure.

Yazzees

If you think consoles being attractive is just because they are some easier no frills PC experience, well, I think you need to enlighten yourself and talk to more people who game exclusively on consoles.

I second this. I think the threads on this topic are being approached with skewed perceptions of how the mass market views consoles.

injurai

Banned
The thing people still fail to see is that an Iphone is an Iphone and a console only works in tandem with the games. Let's remind ourselves of the waves of delays for a moment. All I'm saying the clever ones will wait - they will wait for their must-have games and buy the hardware at the release date of those games. Gaming droughts will kill the hardware business if people learn to be smart. As a day one PS4 owner I've learned my lesson and a gaming year like 2014 had an educating effect on me.

Let's say you're buying PS4,5 (fall 2016) because games x is announced at E3 to be released in summer 2017. Now this game gets delayed two times to spring 2018 with PS5 already being announced for fall 2018. This can become a real issue for some of us.

How is that an issue. If game X is your system seller, then buy when that game released. Not when it's announced. Like literally, wait for it to go gold or show up in stores.

Markoman

If that's your budget, go Intel.
CPU: 200-250$
GPU: 300$-350$
HDDs: 120$ (SSD + 1TB HD)
Case: 60$
Windows10: 100$
CPU Cooler + Power Supply Unit: 80$-100$
Motherboard: 70$-100€
8GB RAM: 40$, 16GB RAM: 75$
I'm writing this with EU prices in mind. US is cheaper though.
So yeah, you'll get something very nice in that ballpark that will shit on consoles for the years to come.

Kuni

I was initially concerned about all this as well. But after reading and absorbing.....this reads more like 4K media playback and/or greater graphical fidelity for PSVR. Or maybe a direct interface between the console and VR headset, eliminating the box. Either way, this doesn't come off to me as anything to do with actual disc based PS4 games. Rigs that do true 4K are thousands of dollars and they run hot as hell. There's no way Sony can do 4K console gaming right now without it A: being prohibitively, ludicrously expensive and B: creating fire hazards. I also find the idea of a console that plays all older/future games at 60fps to be silly. Regardless of what we all think, neither Sony nor MS are gonna do anything, ANYTHING that could even leave the impression early adopters made a mistake. I doubt Sony is willing to squander all that consumer goodwill and market leadership.

This honestly smells like PS4 slim to me. Or hell, even a controlled leak to gauge market reaction and derive feasibility. But a PS4 that plays actual disc based games incrementally better than what we all have now? Unlikely.

Yup this. Exactly where I am right now too. This is very likely the PS4 slim with a few bells and whistles.

PBY

Banned
Yup this. Exactly where I am right now too. This is very likely the PS4 slim with a few bells and whistles.

But... all of the reports don't indicate this. And smart, industry reporters - who are aware of the slim-precedent, are reporting this as something different.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Initially I decided I wasn't going to participate in the 'PS4K' discussion, but I feel like there is an important aspect that is being forgotten.

Consoles were essentially designed as an affordable way for anyone to play the currently available games on the market.
They were affordable, it didn't require any technical knowledge, they could play all the current games, and they wouldn't need to be replaced for many years. Consoles were attractive because they were simple and much cheaper than PC's. Unlike a PC, you wouldn't need to upgrade it every couple years to play the latest games.

So why is everybody jumping on board the 'PS4K' train? An upgraded PS4 defeats the purpose of consoles. It costs the consumer more and requires the consumer to purchase additional hardware in order to play the latest games.

In my opinion, if consoles are going the 'PC' route, then why not just buy a PC and be done with it? A 'PS4K' would literally remove any advantage consoles had over a PC. Then you can upgrade when you want to, and not when Sony releases a new iteration.

I'm really having a hard time understanding why this is good for consumers.

There are lots of games on the PC that require high end PCs to run and they won't run on the lower spec PCs. Every single game on the PS4 will run on every single iteration of the PS4. That's the difference.

But... all of the reports don't indicate this. And smart, industry reporters - who are aware of the slim-precedent, are reporting this as something different.

Yeah I think we're at minimum getting 4K media playback and that's what the name is in reference too, however separate to that, I also think we're going to be getting some kind of performance boost (not 4K level). Which is what most of these outlets are talking about.

daftstar

Honestly all this talk about hardware upgrades doesn't mean jack without the actual games. The fact that it takes 3-4 years just to develop AAA games these days that are the main selling point for consoles is enough justification for longer gen cycles. Who wants to jump in and buy a shiny new piece of hardware only for it to collect dust?

I mean we're getting the first Naughty Dog game for PS4 2.5 years in and have yet to see other major studios (Sony Santa Monica, Square Enix, Rockstar, Bioware, etc.) even release anything yet. And this whole PS4K business would mean the aforementioned devs would want to release their game on the best platform they can, leaving early adopters with an inferior experience.

Of course this is all speculation and the PS4.5 could only be for 4K bluray playback and VR support but even then, I doubt the infrastructure is there (not many people have 4K TVs/monitors).

rambis

Banned
People really need to stop with the slim console talk. That fundamentally goes against what these rumors are saying. You not going to get a shrunken slim form console thats more powerful after 2-3 years. I know people like to throw ideas out based in what's happened before but its almost nonsensical to suggest PS4 slim in the context of these rumors.

PBY

Banned
Yeah I think we're at minimum getting 4K media playback and that's what the name is in reference too, however separate to that, I also think we're going to be getting some kind of performance boost (not 4K level). Which is what most of these outlets are talking about.
Yup. This is what it seems like to me.

It only makes sense if you choose to ignore pretty much every rumor and article about PS4K saying there's more horsepower for developers to use on games and just pull out of the blue that they won't do that.

There's also the word "exploratory". And the fact there's not one thing to suggest Sony is putting out a new PS4 that plays disc based games better. All we THINK we know is "SOMEthing is better." From a common sense standpoint, I believe that thing is VR. You're free to believe what you will.

PrimeRib_

I don't get the assumptions that devs will shift priorities from PS4 to dedicate optimization on the PS4.5 - this makes no sense from an economic standpoint. Until the new PS4.5 user base eclipses 35 Million (or wherever PS4 is at that time) it makes much more sense devs will remain focused on PS4 for optimization.

Ppl building PCs already as if they'll never have to upgrade again :p.

As if Sony is going to ignore the monster install base with some PS4k "exclusive" bullshit. As long as my old dusty PS4 keeps playing all the games I don't give a shit how many upgrades they release tbh.

platina

I need the calm and soothing voice of Mark Cerny reassuring me that everything is gonna be allright coupled with a nice, warm tub to bring back peace in my head since chaos is ravaging inside it following the leaks of those rumours...
I need this too. Cerny, please where are you ;_;

Lingitiz

Ppl building PCs already as if they'll never have to upgrade again :p.

As if Sony is going to ignore the monster install base with some PS4k "exclusive" bullshit. As long as my old dusty PS4 keeps playing all the games I don't give a shit how many upgrades they release tbh.

It's more like a "If I'm being pushed to do this and this is where consoles are going, might as well go all out on the PC where there are more options."

You go into buying a PC with different expectations. Hardware moves fast, upgrading every 2 or 3 years (or one if you really want to) is part of the fun. Your old games get better. You can push them further and push new games to the limit. Get a better CPU, emulators get better, etc. Scale-ability and infinite backwards compatibility are a huge part of the appeal of a PC.

I don't get the assumptions that devs will shift priorities from PS4 to dedicate optimization on the PS4.5 - this makes no sense from an economic standpoint. Until the new PS4.5 user base eclipses 35 Million (or wherever PS4 is at that time) it makes much more sense devs will remain focused on PS4 for optimization.

The PS4.5 Userbase would have eclispe 55 million.

Every unoptimized multiplat PS4 game is also an Unoptimized XB1 game.

Top Bottom