• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Sony Plans New PlayStation for Graphics-Heavy Games

wapplew

How can point three exist if point one is correct? I think people are making the mistake of considering the PS4K a PS5. The improvements won't be a generational leap. That's not the intention in my opinion. 1080p/60fps across the board with a better AA solutions, 4K movies and improved overall performance of the console itself in is what I'm expecting.

1080p/30dps to 1080p/60fps is massive improvement, like 100% more frames.
That's about 3-4 years of GPU tech advancement.

MogCakes

I think people are making the mistake of considering the PS4K a PS5. The improvements won't be a generational leap. That's not the intention in my opinion. 1080p/60fps across the board with a better AA solutions, 4K movies (perhaps games upscaled to 4K) and improved overall performance of the console itself is what I'm expecting.

I'm not seeing how your logic disagrees with what I've said. The appeal of a console like this for existing owners is niche, and only the hardcore will fork over the money to replace or add another console. If it becomes a business model going forward, the rate of early adoption will slow significantly - because only the hardcore would gun for the 'elite' model. Hence niche appeal.

MFW I keep waiting for the PS4 to get more quality exclusives and now I get a better console too.

The waiting life is strong.

4MbgO18.gif

Same, LOL. I'm even more thankful I didn't buy one last year now. :p

thuway

This is what I want most out of PS4K. If Sony pushes the envelope on thermal limits with water cooling, we could see a Fury X design in a small enclosure.

Skinpop

Skinpop, I'm talking about writing low level code that takes into consideration cache layout, data structures, parallelism and API abstraction. The hardware will not differ so drastically between the two systems that they need consider differences between abstraction.
Why are you talking about abstractions? They don't matter in this context.

MogCakes

Yes, I've definitely read your post correctly:

Significantly reduced early adoption rate.
Extremely niche appeal.

If it's got 'extremely niche appeal' then it won't 'significantly reduce early adoption'.

I'm not sure you're reading 'extremely' right. Extremely niche appeal would mean the core base who would buy it is very small. Hence, significantly reduced early adoption rate.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital

We already have 1080p/60fps games on both consoles. Would it really demand that much more to make sure all games ran at 60fps? I'm not technically minded so I don't know.

thuway

That won't help, in fact that's kind of the problem. People got used to the idea that a new generation makes the old one obsolete, what's changing now is precisely that.

Cross-Gen is here to stay.

The old generation will remain relevant for a very long time. The PS3 STILL HAS cross generation titles. Japan, in fact, has a larger support for PS3 than it does for PS4. Moreover, the industry cannot reset a userbase with a new generation.

Creating an all new title for PlayStation 5 on day 1 will surely equal to zero profit if the current rate of magnification in budgets holds true. The smarter things is for the industry to focus on targets that can be improved without killing itself: Resolution, Framerates, Lighting, etc.

I think I'll just finish tlou r until dawn and blood borne and return my ps4 to amazon and see how this pans out, it gets annoyingly loud sometimes anyways.

TheFatMan

If this is just for 4K support and VR then I don't mind.

I swear to god ONE single game is exclusive to the PS4.5 and I'll jump ship to Nintendo so fast it won't even be funny.

I will not put up with this crap in the console market. It's why I can't stand PC gaming, and it's why I will stop playing consoles if need be.

God I cant wait till we gets specs. It will be soon as well as publications are battling to be the first with the scoop. Bet we know within the next month or so

ekim

God I cant wait till we gets specs. It will be soon as well as publications are battling to be the first with the scoop. Bet we know within the next month or so

It's 2013 again. Now with Nintendo launching a new console as well this is going to be a bloodbath. Who is going to take the specs crown this time? Is MS going all in or will Sony keep the leadership? What if Nintendo releases a real beast? Good times ahead. I love this stuff.

I've enjoyed mine for 2 years straight and will trade it in and upgrade happily. I sure don't regret the almost three years I'll use my ps4

Yep exact same. I've had one since launch, enjoyed the hell out of it, and can't wait to trade it in for an upgrade. If I can get nice new hardware every 3 years or so and keep all my games forward compatible, this industry just got a lot more awesome

I can't be mad at Sony over this, Cerny couldn't have predicted back when they locked down the PS4's specs in 2011 that things like VR would pop up mid-generation and be backed by both Facebook and Valve.

With VR looking to finally be viable and potentially popular, and also being pushed hard by Valve who is already making in-roads into the console space, it makes sense Sony not wanting to sit on their hands for another 3 years.

joecanada

If this is just for 4K support and VR then I don't mind.

I swear to god ONE single game is exclusive to the PS4.5 and I'll jump ship to Nintendo so fast it won't even be funny.

I will not put up with this crap in the console market. It's why I can't stand PC gaming, and it's why I will stop playing consoles if need be.

So you don't support sony releasing an incremental machine but you will jump to Nintendo who may or may not release a new machine this year, four years after the WiiU released?

duhmetree

2016 - PS4K Polaris w/8-12GB GDDR5x or HBM1
2018 - PS5 Vega w/16-32GB HBM2
2020- PS5+3K Navi w/32-64GB HBM3

Welcome to the new console age.

Cynn

What are the odds the PSVR box gets integrated in the new ps4?
Very low. Sony isn't going to waste money adding another HDMI port to every single PS4K just to eliminate a box from the setup of people who buy a PSVR. A box most people won't even think about again once it's set up.

NolbertoS

So you don't support sony releasing an incremental machine but you will jump to Nintendo who may or may not release a new machine this year, four years after the WiiU released?

Well to be fair to him, Nintendo is acknowledging that their new console is the next generation, and they are doing this because they're not the market leader and thus people in the industry understand, poor Wii U sales and cost saving measures as the one of many reasons. Over on the other side you got Sony that is releasing a beefed up PS4 and telling fans that it'll play games at better resolutions, but it's still a PS4 though, just beefier. Their the market leaders and so far media and fans are questioning why alienate and split the fans that they already won over?? Maybe it's best to just call it what it is, the PS5 to battle NX and Xbox One Elite in the next gen?? Might as well start the slate blank again, Nintendo has already done that.

I'm not seeing how your logic disagrees with what I've said. The appeal of a console like this for existing owners is niche, and only the hardcore will fork over the money to replace or add another console. If it becomes a business model going forward, the rate of early adoption will slow significantly - because only the hardcore would gun for the 'elite' model. Hence niche appeal.

I disagree about early adoption being slow as long as the new system plays all your old games. That also makes the value of your console for trade-in or sale higher because you're parting with it sooner as opposed to getting rid of it 5-6 years later when not that many people want it anymore.

Yep exact same. I've had one since launch, enjoyed the hell out of it, and can't wait to trade it in for an upgrade. If I can get nice new hardware every 3 years or so and keep all my games forward compatible, this industry just got a lot more awesome

Im super excited as well. I always hated how the PS1/2/3 slim would be a inferior console than the previous. This insures sony with a profitable premium PS4 (600$? wrapped in aluminum please) and a Cheap PS4 (200$) that will obviously sell more; therefore be the console developers will target. Reach 40 million consoles or 4 million consoles?

Hell even if they focus on non-gaming specs and make the console mulittasking snappy monster.. it would be nice.

Or give the current PS4s OS the option to be more basic and free up most of the resources for PS4K power.

sono

That's a weird move from a company at the top of the game, it'll do them more harm than good.

I agree.

PS4 sales may now decline.

Sony appears to be betting the farm on VR and higher res to do this.

I hope they are right.

I am a worried about the lack of original AAA games on PS4, I think they would be better focused there.

Blanquito

So, do you think it'll come with a new controller? Or a controller with new/improved features? If so, do you expect the DS4 to still work on ps4k? How about DS4 on ps5?

sono

I can see it now a new slew of releases of releases in 4K! Last of us Remasterd 4k, God of War part 3 4K, Beyond 4K Souls! Sony gonna make a fortune

Then again. I am really tired of remakes, remasters and relaunches and so are others.

Same games with higher gloss will make Sony a fortune ?

Where is the historical evidence of that ?

Then again. I am really tired of remakes, remasters and relaunches and so are others.

Same games with higher gloss will make Sony a fortune ?

Where is the historical evidence of that ?

And yet people keep buying them. Turns out, what one person might not like another thinks is pretty cool.

I think if they market this PS4k as a device targeted for enhanced VR (for core gamers) with premium price by making no significant changes to regular PS4 games other than some exceptions in few games to render at high graphics setting then it will be fine.

AmyS

Lets say PS4K is not coming in 2016, but rather fall 2017 (allowing better price/performance than launching this year) and it offers developers a four fold increase in GPU performance, along with GDDR5-X or HBM1. $399.99
With a PS4K console you could choose to play The Last Guardian, FF7 Remake and Shenmue III in either 1080p @ 60fps *or* native 4K 2160p @ 30fps. Would be an amazing incentive to get a PS4K, on top of 4K media / Blu-ray.

On old PS4 these games are what you'd expect: 1080p @ 30fps.

So then Sony can take its sweet time with PS5 and not release it until 2021, thus separating console hardware by 4 years, 4 years and 4 years.

sono

The other question no one is asking:

WSJ said:
Sony Corp. is planning to sell a more powerful version of its PlayStation 4 machine

Why is WSJ announcing something that should come from Sony ?

Sony needs to respond to this, and soon..

Kieli

I wonder why they are targetting 4k and what sort of graphical fidelity they are expecting to hit.

I really didn't want this to happen, but now that it's a reality...

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
No. I can point the blame just as much at Sony for opening this door in the first place. That's what the people upset at this decision are saying, this doesn't need to happen if Sony doesn't allow it to.

There are reasons some of us buy consoles and not gaming PCs. This is one of them.

Poorly optimized games has existed on platforms even without half step upgrade version. It feels like og PS4 owners is going to push blame to it for future poorly optimized games.

TheFatMan

I think there is a big difference between Nintendo releasing a new system after 4 years because the market share on there current console is so small and shrinking, and Sony releasing a slightly better version of there 3 year old console when they control the console market with massive sales. You can't compare the two.

Poorly optimized games has existed on platforms even without half step upgrade version. It feels like og PS4 owners is going to push blame to it for future poorly optimized games.

Sony should mandate to developers that there should be no FPS advantages between them other than graphics quality (not significant).

The Argus

Microsoft already came out showing interest in doing this in the future. You can count on it if PS4K is real, which it most likely is.

Wow all the topics and fear mongering seem so long ago now.

Gaf will implode if both consoles are announced during E3 and the Xbox has the better specs.

Very disappointed by the move personally as a person who has 2 ps4's and 2 xb1 at home (one for me and another for my wife). We don't use the PS4 much except for destiny last year, other then that we could have easily have gotten by with 1 PS4.

Won't effect us personally as we are not interested in the PSVR at the price point it is at in australia unless non-PSVR exclusive games start coming up just for the 4.5. If that happens we will be staying with any console manufacturer that does not do this (MS or Nintendo)

kvothe

Very disappointed by the move personally as a person who has 2 ps4's and 2 xb1 at home (one for me and another for my wife). We don't use the PS4 much except for destiny last year, other then that we could have easily have gotten by with 1 PS4.

Won't effect us personally as we are not interested in the PSVR at the price point it is at in australia unless non-PSVR exclusive games start coming up just for the 4.5. If that happens we will be staying with any console manufacturer that does not do this (MS or Nintendo)

Why do you have 2 of each? Side question: do you know what a Roku is?

Why do you have 2 of each? Side question: do you know what a Roku is?

Also how would a roku help? Isnt that a streaming TV/App box? We use these to play together - in case you haven't noticed that day of couch co-op is (mostly) gone and if me and my wife/children want to play together they need their own console and own copy of the game :/

Very true.

We already have 1080p/60fps games on both consoles. Would it really demand that much more to make sure all games ran at 60fps? I'm not technically minded so I don't know.

It doesn't work like that.
Different games, different engines, different optimizations, etc.

Top Bottom