• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WSJ: Trump's new strategy is to suppress the Clinton vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

giga

Donald Trump, faced with opposition inside and outside his party, plans to renew the nationalist themes that built his base and amplify his no-holds-barred attacks against Hillary Clinton to try to depress Democratic voter turnout, his advisers said.

Following the release of a tape-recording of his lewd comments about women and several high-profile Republican defections over the weekend, Mr. Trump has effectively given up the conventional wisdom of trying to reach voters far outside his core of support, one high-level Republican supporter said.

The new strategy emerged Tuesday on Mr. Trump’s Twitter account when he sent out messages attacking Republican House Speaker Paul Ryan as a weak leader after Mr. Ryan announced he wouldn’t appear with the nominee.

“It’s so nice that the shackles have been taken off me and I can now fight for America the way I want to,” Mr. Trump wrote.

…

It remains questionable whether Mr. Trump’s strategy can turn around the electoral math. His core supporters don’t make up a majority of the electorate, and most analysts see no path to victory unless he adds to them, even if Mrs. Clinton’s vote total is driven down. And a new Wall Street Journal/NBC News poll shows him trailing the Democratic nominee by nine percentage points among likely voters, though his standing improved after his performance in Sunday’s debate, particularly with Republicans.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/donald-trumps-new-attack-strategy-keep-clinton-voters-home-1476221895

border

How are increasingly nasty attacks on Clinton going to "depress the Democratic voter turnout?" It's only going to galvanize people against him.....especially if all he's using is trash conspiracies from Breitbart and pointless Bernie Sanders namedrops.

Buzzman

Banned
The only way to depress Clinton voters would be to say that you're not going to win, which means people aren't going to be as encouraged to vote anymore.

This is, as most people have noted, an awful strategy.

How are increasingly nasty attacks on Clinton going to "depress the Democratic voter turnout?" It's only going to galvanize people against him.....especially if all he's using is trash conspiracies from Breitbart and pointless Bernie Sanders namedrops.

This.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well, it does seem the only chance he has to win.

Is he winning any demographics that Romney won 4 years ago? He knows his core base is all he's got, and trying to turn off Clinton seems the only play he has left. The problem of course is that he's hitting Clinton with most of the same crap she's been hit with for 2 decades.

Gattsu25

Banned

These Breitbart people are probably just scratching their heads over why their attacks aren't effective with the public at large.

Yeahhhh, get excited new voters out to vote, especially now because voter registration deadlines are passing now. That's certainly a winning strategy.

Pastry

Banned
Well, it does seem the only chance he has to win.

Is he winning any demographics that Romney won 4 years ago? He knows his core base is all he's got, and trying to turn off Clinton seems the only play he has left.

I think white males is all he has

t3CF25z.gif

LProtag

I'm really worried he's going to play up the "it's rigged against me" and the even worse "watch out at the polls".

The latter reeks of racist voter suppression and intimidation, which is terrifying to think of.

VariantX

This will probably do more damage to getting people to vote in the next election than actually winning this one. It'll more likely piss people off right now. Its just going to leave a bad taste in everyone's mouths.

Sàmban

Banned
"I'm calling on our 2nd amendment voters to do whatever it takes to make sure we win in November. Whatever it takes. The blacks and latinos are committing tremendous fraud at the voting stations. Tremendeous. It's unbelievable. They're letting rapists and gangbangers vote. Do whatever it takes folks"

Given how many people are willing to believe Clinton is a liar, murderer, evil, corrupt, and thief on all sides of the equation then maybe it's not so bad an idea. I'm sure the media will help as well with their "impartial" reporting on every claim he makes where they don't just call it out as bullshit from the start.

zelas

Please proceed asshole. It will provide nothing but entertainment as republican surrogates try their best to cover for their party.

That isn't a winning strategy, what the hell are they thinking?

"Fuck every single person on Earth that isn't us, burn them all"? These people are righteously pissed and they have stopped caring about anything but an outlet for their rage. Unfortunately for them, blind fury isn't really appealing to people who don't share your outrage, which is why we're looking at them like a basket of lunatics.

Jombie

I'm really worried he's going to play up the "it's rigged against me" and the even worse "watch out at the polls".

The latter reeks of racist voter suppression and intimidation, which is terrifying to think of.

And he needs to be threatened with federal litigation if he does. Fuck the people that support this wannabe dictator.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
"New strategy?" He's been advocating voter suppression for a while.

He's called for supporters to be his "Election Observers" back in August. After all, he's been referring to how the election will be rigged for months.

He told his supporters to stalk polling stations in "certain areas" so he doesn't lose the election "because of you know what I'm talking about." This one comes from a rally earlier this month.

Trump will probably double triple-down on this brand of fascistic rhetoric just in time for the debate.

Somnid

Poisoning the well isn't a winning strategy, but it makes it very hard for your opponent. If you know you're gonna lose then you take everything else with you.

That isn't a winning strategy, what the hell are they thinking?

Trumps going to do the Bill Clinton assault thing 3x more and then do state worse claims than that in other categories toward clinton/

So basically he's going to insult her daily. Aiming to get the supporters she has that aren't cemented to go to him, elsewhere, or stay home.

Now is it a winning strategy???

Ehhhh........

I'm surprised there has been no call to safeguard voters at polling places from Trump's goons. Hillary shouldn't have to do it, and it would be just as inappropriate for her to encourage vigilantism as well; Obama should step in and assure people he is taking steps to insure everyone is safe. People are going to get hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom