• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC12 Thread of iOS 6, Mac OS X Mountain Lion and iCloud

It was all updated. I'm not sure what he means.

iPhoto and iBooks absolutely take advantage of the retina display, for example.

I mean at an OS level, not per app basis. Right now, it's the same old iOS features at a new resolution. There's a lot of wasted space and potential.

So what is realistic to expect?

iOS 6 preview. OS X Mountain Lion release date. New Macs. The wild card is a new Apple TV OS update and SDK.

Everything Tobor says and probably lots of sales numbers to hype devs on creating software and apps for the Apple ecosystem. It is pretty clear that iOS 6 and Mountain Lion are goign to be the focus of the keynote, and I think most of us could have told you that 365 days ago. it's just the nature of these events. They aren't really intended for mainstream crowd, it's just that hype gets so built up and when the speakers are going on about the new API's and how great the apps are, etc. It never fails that someone in these threads gets pissed off about how Apple isn't showing them something they want, despite the fact that Apple is probably the most predictable tech company on the planet.

Sailor

why, its been in beta since February. they said it's coming in the summer, and I really doubt they'd release the new computers and then release the new OS later

That's what I'm thinking too, I predict the new Macs to go on sale today along with Mountain Lion installed.

The internet is going to collapse at 1 pm. Between tdkr tickets selling starting and apple wwdc and microsoft developers conference, i hope the cables stay intact

why, its been in beta since February. they said it's coming in the summer, and I really doubt they'd release the new computers and then release the new OS later

They haven't given developers the gold master yet... so a release next week would be a bit much. Even if developers have had the preview since February.

Lion Gold Master to Lion release was 2 weeks, if I remember correctly.

I could be projecting because I haven't fully tested my apps on ML yet.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The internet is going to collapse at 1 pm. Between tdkr tickets selling starting and apple wwdc and microsoft developers conference, i hope the cables stay intact

Whoa whoa whoa whoa...this is happening today?!

Sanjuro

Wow, Copernicus banned right before the WWDC conference?

Was really looking forward to his trolling..

Did he still have my avatar? I can pick up the slack.

Steve Jobs was a fraud, IOS 6 will turn all my devices into paperweights. When I google Mountain Lion, I just find stories of dead ones on the freeway. Etc. Etc.

The last one actually being true :jnc

RBH

We’re just getting some new news on the updated Airs. We hear they start at 4GB of RAM and now go up to 8GB on the high end. Here are three Airs we’ve received word on so far:

Base Model: MD223LL/A - MBA 11.6/1.7/4/64FLASH-USA
Better: MD224LL/A - MBA 11.6/1.7/4/128FLASH-USA
High End: MD845LL/A – MBA 11.6/2.0/8/256FLASH-USA

Update: We’re now getting specs on the 13s:

MD231LL/A – MBAIR 13.3/1.8/4/128FLASH-USA
MD232LL/A – MBAIR 13.3/1.8/4/256FLASH-USA
MD846LL/A – MBAIR 13.3/2.0/8/512FLASH-USA

The bolded numbers are the RAM and would be a significant (and welcome) increase over the previous models.

We’ve also bolded the 512GB SSD on the high end Air. As we’ve said previously, these will be SATA 3 Solid State drives and at least some will be based on Samsung’s 830 series - which are super fast.
http://9to5mac.com/2012/06/11/more-...-now-come-with-4gb-ram-standard-go-up-to-8gb/

Still uncertain about the reliability of 9to5 though......

KingKong

edit: beaten on the specs

really hoping this isn't true or there's an option to get an SSD on the Pros, that would be one of the main reasons for me to upgrade

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I don't need or want a 512gb SSD, hopefully I can get the 8GB ram on the lesser one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Base air doesn't look like much of a bump, but I still think its the best entry level mac - why buy a 13" Macbook pro unless you really really need an optical drive?

MBP Retina specs from 9to5Mac:

MC975LL/A – MBP 15.4/2.3/8GB/256GB FLASH-USA
MC976LL/A – MBP 15.4/2.6/8GB/512GB FLASH-USA
MD831LL/A – MBP 15.4/2.7/16GB/768GB FLASH-USA

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
So much RAM...

KingKong

I think I'll get whichever macbook has an SSD (hopefully pros, but I guess Air 13' if its Airs only), doesn't make any sense to buy a computer that's supposed to last 3-4 years without one

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
I think I'll get whichever macbook has an SSD (hopefully pros, but I guess Air 13' if its Airs only), doesn't make any sense to buy a computer that's supposed to last 3-4 years without one

you will buy them all, then.

with 8GB the default, wonder if this means that they're no longer user-upgradeable as in the MBAs.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
I really fell off on computer specs... My iMac has 1TB of HDD space, isnt 256GB a HUGEEE drop off? :|

KingKong

oh whoops, didn't see the new MBP specs. nice. i still wonder how 9to5 is getting these leaks, especially so close to WWDC

edit: wait, does that mean 13'' doesnt get retina? boo

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Honestly, 128GB and 4GB RAM is more than good enough for my usage, I don't max my processor very often, and the form facctor of the 13" MBA is already as perfect as it's going to get, so the major improvements I'm looking for are better battery life and/or lower MSRP and/or better screen. Obviously I realize those three things have a sort of triangular relationship.

you will buy them all, then.

with 8GB the default, wonder if this means that they're no longer user-upgradeable as in the MBAs.

A new design will probably go for a Air like mentality of everything closed off to the end user. Man I want to see the new design now.

I'm not quite ready to upgrade my Air just yet, I have a late 2010 model with 4GB RAM and 256 GB SSD. But I'd be all over that new top end Air when I do decide to bite.

Also, I see we didn't even have to wait for the keynote to start for someone to start asking about the iPhone announcement. Getting out of the way early this year, eh GAF?

rezuth

While double the RAM and 512GB SSDs on the new Airs is something interesting, I think a lot of us have been focused in on the Retina MacBook Pros.

Well, here they are:

MC975LL/A – MBP 15.4/2.3/8GB/256GB FLASH-USA
MC976LL/A – MBP 15.4/2.6/8GB/512GB FLASH-USA
MD831LL/A – MBP 15.4/2.7/16GB/768GB FLASH-USA
We’ve been told that these will not be cheap and even pass the $4000 equivalent mark on the high end in some countries. Who’s going to throw down for these?

9to5mac just keeps steamrolling.

Top Bottom