• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC16 Thread of iOS 10, macOS 10.12, watchOS & tvOS. print (“Hello, WWDC!”)

Giolon

I hate that Control Center has demoted music controls to a 2nd page. That's my most used "Control Center" feature on all my devices.

I hate that Control Center has demoted music controls to a 2nd page. That's my most used "Control Center" feature on all my devices.

Once you swipe over to music controls, every time you swipe up after that, it will default to music controls, and vice versa.

I saw this in one of the vids posted

But it stays on whatever 'page' you left it last (as far as this beta goes) I was really annoyed by this at first also, but I just keep it on the music side and it doesn't bother me at all now.

But it stays on whatever 'page' you left it last (as far as this beta goes) I was really annoyed by this at first also, but I just keep it on the music side and it doesn't bother me at all now.

Same. I went from hating it to thinking it's actually pretty genius. You get larger finger target, a cleaner look, and it's still convenient (after that first swipe over).

Sean

Banned
Can't wait for this. I can finally ditch the abysmal Hue app!

It's very well done, a lot nicer than using Hue's app.

Bring up the Control Center and you can activate any scenes with a single tap. Or turn on/off each individual bulb with a single tap as well. (Side note: you can assign each accessory/light its own icon - so right away you can quickly tell it's your desk lamp/ceiling light/floor lamp without even having to read the name of it).

If you 3D Touch on a light it brings up a brightness slider in the center of the screen that you simply slide your finger up and down. You can also change it from white to color on that same screen, which brings up a color wheel. So simple and intuitive to use.

Really kind of amazing that Philips Hue has been out for 4 years now with terrible software (that has arguably gotten worse with their recent redesign) yet Apple nailed it on their very first try.

Man, I feel like IFTTT and Workflow are going to get *way* more powerful with the newer Widget view and the richer notifications. Cannot waaaaaait.

Also, speaking of slightly hacky automation stuff, can Siri on macOS Sierra launch apps? Because if so I'm going to Automator the FUCK out of this. Especially if and when it gets Hey Siri support.

Man, I feel like IFTTT and Workflow are going to get *way* more powerful with the newer Widget view and the richer notifications. Cannot waaaaaait.

Also, speaking of slightly hacky automation stuff, can Siri on macOS Sierra launch apps? Because if so I'm going to Automator the FUCK out of this. Especially if and when it gets Hey Siri support.

Just tested it out and yes Siri allows you to open apps. It even works with apps that didn't come from the app store.

It's very well done, a lot nicer than using Hue's app.

Bring up the Control Center and you can activate any scenes with a single tap. Or turn on/off each individual bulb with a single tap as well. (Side note: you can assign each accessory/light its own icon - so right away you can quickly tell it's your desk lamp/ceiling light/floor lamp without even having to read the name of it).

If you 3D Touch on a light it brings up a brightness slider in the center of the screen that you simply slide your finger up and down. You can also change it from white to color on that same screen, which brings up a color wheel. So simple and intuitive to use.

Really kind of amazing that Philips Hue has been out for 4 years now with terrible software (that has arguably gotten worse with their recent redesign) yet Apple nailed it on their very first try.

The Hue app absolutely got worse with Gen 2. I like the inclusions of rooms as well as scenes, but you can't edit scenes after you make them and scenes can't include lights from different rooms and they lost both iPad versions AND the Apple Watch app. It's insane. I went back to using the Gen 1 app and it's garbage in its own ways

Does the Home app have geofencing?

The Hue app absolutely got worse with Gen 2. I like the inclusions of rooms as well as scenes, but you can't edit scenes after you make them and scenes can't include lights from different rooms and they lost both iPad versions AND the Apple Watch app. It's insane. I went back to using the Gen 1 app and it's garbage in its own ways

It does

EmiPrime

I've been really down on iOS for a few years now, I think Android surpassed iOS with KitKat, maybe even Jelly Bean, but it looks like iOS 10 is finally turning things around in a big way. Notifications have gotten the revamp they badly needed, Apple apps can be removed, widgets are finally on the home screen via the siri page and thirdy party apps are no longer second class citizens. Looking forward to giving the public beta a spin!

All that's missing is on screen buttons and a new ui for the iPad but those are inevitable, just give it another year.

FerranMG

All that's missing is on screen buttons and a new ui for the iPad but those are inevitable, just give it another year.

I don't think the first one will ever happen.
And about iPad-tailored UI, well... we've been waiting for it for the last 3 years. :(

I don't understand why Apple treats the iPad as a second-class citizen. The sales have been on decline, and no wonder they have. The iPad is very far away from reaching its full potential, but Apple doesn't seem to care.

entremet

I can't wait for SSO on AppleTV/iOS. Inputting my passwords is a huge pain. Some apps also require constant authentication. It's annoying.

Ambitious

Yeah, didn't even take ten minutes for me to delete it again and stick with the Gen 1 app. But I use it only to create/edit scenes, which I do extremely rarely. For turning my lamps off/on and quickly changing the colors, I use Hue Widget.

giga

I've been really down on iOS for a few years now, I think Android surpassed iOS with KitKat, maybe even Jelly Bean, but it looks like iOS 10 is finally turning things around in a big way. Notifications have gotten the revamp they badly needed, Apple apps can be removed, widgets are finally on the home screen via the siri page and thirdy party apps are no longer second class citizens. Looking forward to giving the public beta a spin!

On screen buttons? Like the home button? Just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

EmiPrime

And about iPad-tailored UI, well... we've been waiting for it for the last 3 years. :(

I don't understand why Apple treats the iPad as a second-class citizen. The sales have been on decline, and no wonder they have. The iPad is very far away from reaching its full potential, but Apple doesn't seem to care.

The iPad got a lot of love last year, there'll be more to come!

On screen buttons? Like the home button? Just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Ive will want to get those bezels smaller, as soon as the fingerprint sensor can go in the screen it's happening. Having an on-screen button for multitasking is way better than having to double press a physical button and the back button on an Android is great.

giga

The iPad got a lot of love last year, there'll be more to come!

Ive will want to get those bezels smaller, as soon as the fingerprint sensor can go in the screen it's happening. Having an on-screen button for multitasking is way better than having to double press a physical button and the back button on an Android is great.
It works better on android because tab bars on that OS are on the top. On iOS, especially in the music app, software buttons would create three rows on the bottom (navigation, tabs, and now playing).

EmiPrime

It works better on android because tab bars on that OS are on the top. On iOS, especially in the music app, software buttons would create three rows on the bottom (navigation, tabs, and now playing).

They will figure something out. On-screen buttons are much more discoverable than the home button functions; so many iOS users don't know about the double tap to get the app switcher (they just go back to the home screen to change apps) and panic when they accidentally activate siri. It will be an improvement.

TimFL

... Twitter can't even get notifications to NOT CLEAR RVERY SINGLE ONE WHEN I OPEN ONLY A SINGLE ONE. For fucks sake Twitter. How hard is it to NOT clear everything? ...

Isn't that related to them setting the badge icon to 0? AFAIK iOS removes all notifications automatically when you reset your apps badge count. I could be wrong though, it's been a while since I last dove into iOS app development.

subrock

Isn't that related to them setting the badge icon to 0? AFAIK iOS removes all notifications automatically when you reset your apps badge count. I could be wrong though, it's been a while since I last dove into iOS app development.
You are correct. Setting the badge to 0 clears all notifications

pronk420

Having used android for a while and switched to iOS, onscreen buttons are horrible. They don't feel as good as the feedback you get from a physical button (especially on android when sometimes there is a long lag between pressing a button and something happening), and even compared to capacitive buttons, in the android implementation at least, they are a complete waste of battery and screen space.

The android buttons literally do nothing you couldn't do with capacitive touch buttons on the bezel. The only reason to have onscreen buttons, to allow them to change depending on context, isn't used in android at all. Possibly iOS could do that better, but I don't really see the need.

Plus the black bar at the bottom where the buttons live being a different shade of black (or a completely different colour) than the bezel is ugly.

Giolon

Once you swipe over to music controls, every time you swipe up after that, it will default to music controls, and vice versa.

I saw this in one of the vids posted

Well, that's not as bad then. Thanks for the info.

Apple seems to think what's needed is mostly hardware updates, when the iPad hardware has been just stellar since the first iPad Air and only getting more amazing since then.

The iOS 9 updates to iPad multitasking have been great, and the iOS 10 updated lockscreen/Spotlight screen/control center do a much better job of taking advantage of the space they have, but it'd be awfully nice to see the same be the case of the home screen and Notification Center.

3D Touch is looking way more useful in iOS 10 than it was in iOS 9 - more than ever I hope iPads get it soon.

Ghazi

Is there still a working iOS 10 beta profile available for download somewhere and does the 6 suffer from slowdown on 10?

EmiPrime

Apple will figure out the on-screen button thing in their own way. 3D touch will help and maybe there will be some context sensitivity.

Apple will figure out the on-screen button thing in their own way. 3D touch will help and maybe there will be some context sensitivity.
Yes and no. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Home button cease to be a moving part sometime soon (and instead use 3D Touch & Taptic Engine feedback to feel like a button) but I expect the TouchID ring to be there for a long time (and even if we get to the point where phones can read your fingerprint through the display with equal speed, accuracy, reliability, and security, it's important to have that as a tactile UI element you can find without looking directly at it).

And as long as that ring is there, I suppose you COULD turn all that into usable display space, but I wouldn't want to e.g. fullscreen a video and have the TouchID ring in the middle of it. Once the iPhone goes OLED and blacks look the same color as the (vanishing) bezel elements, though, I'd totally be into having context-sensitive UI elements there.

Sean

Banned

Yes, it supports both geofencing and the time based scheduler stuff that Hue has, along with even more options that Hue lacks. But from what I can tell it requires you to have either an Apple TV or an iPad to serve as the "hub" for all these automation features to work.

The only feature Apple's Home app is lacking that Hue has is the "Fade" option where it can fade your lights in or out over a set period. Personally I never used that anyway as I like instant satisfaction of my lights turning on or off instantly.

Yes, it supports both geofencing and the time based scheduler stuff that Hue has, along with even more options that Hue lacks. But from what I can tell it requires you to have either an Apple TV or an iPad to serve as the "hub" for all these automation features to work.

The only feature Apple's Home app is lacking that Hue has is the "Fade" option where it can fade your lights in or out over a set period. Personally I never used that anyway as I like instant satisfaction of my lights turning on or off instantly.

I have an AppleTV so that's not an issue. I do use the face feature for my alarms in the morning but I'm not even upset by it not being included

EmiPrime

Yes and no. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Home button cease to be a moving part sometime soon (and instead use 3D Touch & Taptic Engine feedback to feel like a button)

Even just that would be a big improvement assuming you could tap as well as press. Having to double press a physical button is really cumbersome compared to tapping an on-screen button (and Android N's fantastic double tap to go back to the last app). Just like the side press on 3d touch devices it still doesn't solve the problem of discoverability however.

Zaph

Double tapping the space bar on macOS now adds a period as well as the space like in iOS.
Awesome - I fully approve of these keyboard shake ups that are slowly happening.

Was it ChromeOS that changed cap locks to search? Would be great to so that in MacOS for Alfred

I tried to cancel an alarm that I had snoozed yesterday and now it won't go away.

rKSKLk1.jpg

Even just that would be a big improvement assuming you could tap as well as press. Having to double press a physical button is really cumbersome compared to tapping an on-screen button (and Android N's fantastic double tap to go back to the last app). Just like the side press on 3d touch devices it still doesn't solve the problem of discoverability however.
Agreed with regard to discoverability, if not with regard to how difficult it is to double tap a button, but I can't see iOS shifting its base UX paradigms so dramatically in a single generation.

KtSlime

I read that Apple has revamped their define to look up, have they also updated Siri to be able to define words yet? Or does it just search the web like in the past?

I'm surprised that the new Siri api doesn't even allow developers to make services like search results or show dictionary entries, seems like that would have been an easy thing to do.

I read that Apple has revamped their define to look up, have they also updated Siri to be able to define words yet? Or does it just search the web like in the past?

I'm surprised that the new Siri api doesn't even allow developers to make services like search results or show dictionary entries, seems like that would have been an easy thing to do.

Just tried it out in Sierra and Siri can define words.

Top Bottom