• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWDC16 Thread of iOS 10, macOS 10.12, watchOS & tvOS. print (“Hello, WWDC!”)

EmSeta

So for anyone who has the developer beta: Does the Home app have support for multi user geofencing?

It's been my biggest gripe with IoT devices so far, a lot of them only work fully in single person households.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Can someone with Sierra confirm something for me? When you activate Siri, does she take focus off the window you're working in? Or can you continue say typing up a report or coding while she sits and does her thing without having to stop?

Can someone with Sierra confirm something for me? When you activate Siri, does she take focus off the window you're working in? Or can you continue say typing up a report or coding while she sits and does her thing without having to stop?

with the keyboard shortcut, Siri doesn't take focus off the window. If you click the dock icon it does.

BruceCLea

Banned
I'm probably gonna get there next MBP. I was wondering what you guys think the best size is? I'm currently working with a 15". I think it's too much. I really hope they reduce the bezel size so the 13" is really 14". That would be perfect.

EmiPrime

I'm probably gonna get there next MBP. I was wondering what you guys think the best size is? I'm currently working with a 15". I think it's too much. I really hope they reduce the bezel size so the 13" is really 14". That would be perfect.

There isn't a best screen size. My iMac is my main computer so I like smaller laptops but my priority would shift if I only had one machine, unless I used an external monitor at my desk and so on and so forth. Lots of photographers still lament the loss of the 17" MBP too.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
with the keyboard shortcut, Siri doesn't take focus off the window. If you click the dock icon it does.
That's good to know. Now all it needs is voice activation. (Hey, Siri isn't in Sierra is it?) I don't know why it wouldn't have that. Macs have had voice control since the '90s. And text to speech since the '80s. It would make no sense to be behind now. I'd rather have Hey, Siri off on my phone and on on my Mac.

Apparenty PiP works in Youtube, you just need to right click twice to get the correct menu.
I had a feeling it'd be possible somehow. It seems to me the feature for HTML5 video would be available as an easy to call JavaScript. So all YouTube really needs to do is add a button and menu item that calls that script. Since the YT player is designed to show its own menu on right-click, and the player itself is designed to show the system menu if the right button is clicked a second time while the first menu is already open, it's nice YouTube thought to allow it. (Unless it's an exploit.) I'm just glad that when the PB comes out, I'll be able to have so much fun with PIP. Now all I need is VLC to put out an update. Also, anyone with Sierra want to test out the Plex Web Player? I assume it'll just show the same option in its own right-click menu.

That's good to know. Now all it needs is voice activation. (Hey, Siri isn't in Sierra is it?) I don't know why it wouldn't have that. Macs have had voice control since the '90s. And text to speech since the '80s. It would make no sense to be behind now. I'd rather have Hey, Siri off on my phone and on on my Mac

You can make your own Hey Siri by using the already available voice control

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You can make your own Hey Siri by using the already available voice control
I guess you could. But it makes sense it would just completely replace it like how Siri replaces iOS' older voice control. (But it remains available if you need to use it instead.)

I can't wait to get Sierra. I'd procure a dev build if the PB didn't exist. I'd rather wait for it to be stable enough for testing. So let's hope it's early July.

I'm just sad there don't appear to be improvements to Tags. 7 colors is stupid. I want custom colors. I want the ability to use Emoji instead. I'd use them more if they were implemented better. Same with Finder tabs which are so limited and I never see any use of them. Especially since you can only use them in single-window mode with the toolbar and sidebar. Ugh, Finder is so neglected.

That's good to know. Now all it needs is voice activation. (Hey, Siri isn't in Sierra is it?) I don't know why it wouldn't have that. Macs have had voice control since the '90s. And text to speech since the '80s. It would make no sense to be behind now. I'd rather have Hey, Siri off on my phone and on on my Mac.

No 'hey, siri' which is a weird omission.

KtSlime

Siri has been able to define words for a long time. I use it quite often. Or is there some new expansion on the definition abilities in iOS 10 and Sierra?
Maybe it depends on the language? I use Japanese. I have asked in many different ways, and never gotten anything besides (translated from Japanese) "I found some information related to 'word' on the web." I assumed this was the case for all languages. Does English work differently?

giga

The notification centre UI with those curved edges...why?

It's part of the new design language and is made to be consistent throughout the system. Widgets, banners, control center, notification center, et al all share it now.

I know you don't like it but those notifications are more distinguishable now (imo) and the rounded rects lends itself to expanding to show more info, which is a big part of the new notifications.

giga

I know round rects have been in iOS since day 1 but the pervasiveness of it now seems to be heavily inspired from webOS. Very "card" heavy.

toohectic

Maybe it depends on the language? I use Japanese. I have asked in many different ways, and never gotten anything besides (translated from Japanese) "I found some information related to 'word' on the web." I assumed this was the case for all languages. Does English work differently?

Yes, it is likely a regional / language dependent function. In English, I just say "define [word]" or "what does [word] mean?" and she provides the most common definition of the word I'm interested in. I would guess that it has been natively supported since iOS 8, but I'm not positive. Hopefully iOS 10 adds supports for defining words from other languages, but you may still be out of luck.

Did anyone try the multilanguage keyboard? I think that's what I'm looking forward to the most lol

It's GLORIOUS.

Only reason I used Swiftkey before... no more. It corrects English & Spanish seamlessly, mid-sentence, much better than Swiftkey ever did.

So happy we finally have this.

I know round rects have been in iOS since day 1 but the pervasiveness of it now seems to be heavily inspired from webOS. Very "card" heavy.
I mean, still the best rich notifications tbh. I'm happy to see iOS and Android lift the best features and design concepts from dead platforms like webOS and Windows Phone.

gamma

It's GLORIOUS.

Only reason I used Swiftkey before... no more. It corrects English & Spanish seamlessly, mid-sentence, much better than Swiftkey ever did.

So happy we finally have this.

Thank GOD.

It was so infuriating typing something in one language only for autocorrect to replace the words with another language. Then you press the globe key but suddenly it switches to emojis so now you have to hold the key and select from the list. But on the emoji keyboard the globe key isn't even in the same position. Ugh.

emag

Can we get gesture/swipe support in the default keyboard? Come on, Apple.
Also, preemptive alarm notifications that can dismiss/skip the alarm would be welcome.

Those are my two biggest pain points switching back from Android. :/

Since we have a new version of the operating system coming, make sure you do some Mac spring cleaning!

Take, for example, something I finally did that I had been putting off for about 4 years. I finally deleted all of my completed eeminders. All 8000 of them. Despite only syncing 2 weeks worth to my iOS devices, I had lots of syncing issues and I had near constant syncing on my Mac. And, the Reminders Notification Center widget on Mac would take minutes to load.

So, I deleted all of the completed ones. It took probably 15 hours to do it (I left the Mac on overnight and it was still going by mid morning), but now things work so much better.

Maybe do that, or start backup and deleting old email from your accounts, or something. Organize those photos and delete duplicates (I assume lots of people just sync to the computer and never really look through them).

Clean!

Since we have a new version of the operating system coming, make sure you do some Mac spring cleaning!

Take, for example, something I finally did that I had been putting off for about 4 years. I finally deleted all of my completed eeminders. All 8000 of them. Despite only syncing 2 weeks worth to my iOS devices, I had lots of syncing issues and I had near constant syncing on my Mac. And, the Reminders Notification Center widget on Mac would take minutes to load.

So, I deleted all of the completed ones. It took probably 15 hours to do it (I left the Mac on overnight and it was still going by mid morning), but now things work so much better.

Maybe do that, or start backup and deleting old email from your accounts, or something. Organize those photos and delete duplicates (I assume lots of people just sync to the computer and never really look through them).

Clean!

I've been meaning to do that. I have a lot of completed reminders...

I've been meaning to do that. I have a lot of completed reminders...

Do not be surprised if you beachball for several hours. I had to quit every program on my Mac except Reminders and let it run all night to avoid it running out of memory (and because the beach balling lasted many hours.

I did this for El Capitan which resulted in me moving every, single file to the cloud.
This included moving all videos to iCloud Drive, that was a loooong painful process -_-

This iOS betas ability to delete stock apps prompted me to clean out my phone this time.
Just finished yesterday, deleted 11GB of Apps!

All ready for the future now

jts

...hate me...
I did this for El Capitan which resulted in me moving every, single file to the cloud.
This included moving all videos to iCloud Drive, that was a loooong painful process -_-

This iOS betas ability to delete stock apps prompted me to clean out my phone this time.
Just finished yesterday, deleted 11GB of Apps!

All ready for the future now
Hey, me too!

Not 11GB because I didn't delete that many huge games, but I've forced myself to go from 330 something apps to 200 (42 of which are games). Honestly it feels almost impossible to go lower than that but I already feel that it's quite the achievement and my phone feels much better organized now, too.

3 homescreen pages, and total of 18 folders.

Oh yeah and Apple please give us larger folder pages sooner or later :(

I could've sworn we were able to do this before.

Some apps jury-rigged their menubar icons using private APIs, but this was buggy and broken by OS updates every once in a while so most didn't bother. Now it seems like Apple has made it a standard feature of any NSStatusItem.

Hey, me too!

Not 11GB because I didn't delete that many huge games, but I've forced myself to go from 330 something apps to 200 (42 of which are games). Honestly it feels almost impossible to go lower than that but I already feel that it's quite the achievement and my phone feels much better organized now, too.

3 homescreen pages, and total of 18 folders.

Oh yeah and Apple please give us larger folder pages sooner or later :(

Haha wow, after my clean-up I deleted half of the stock apps and have 29 additional apps in a single folder.
Some of those are games too which'll be removed after I've finished with them.

I was pretty strict though, if there's an app that I won't use regularly then it went.
Something like Airbnb is really cool but I might only use it a couple of times a year.
I'd rather re-download it the odd few times I might need it then keep it on my phone all year long and have to scroll past it everyday.

Everything I have left will be used at least on a weekly basis. My phone feels so focused now, I love it.

SuperPac

Still no way to set data limits in the OS? Managing an iPhone on a limited data contract is such a PITA

I'm curious how this is handled on other platforms like Android? I have an app on my Macbook called tripmode that'll regulate mobile data usage and that seems like a pretty handy thing to have. Luckily you *can* turn off cell data for most things, but I agree it could be even better.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm curious how this is handled on other platforms like Android? I have an app on my Macbook called tripmode that'll regulate mobile data usage and that seems like a pretty handy thing to have. Luckily you *can* turn off cell data for most things, but I agree it could be even better.

Android handles this much better.masidemform being able to turn mobile data on/off and per app, you can:
- set a monthly mobile data limit based on your contract and set a separate warning level. Eg 'warn me at 1.8GB, turn off mobile data at 2GB'
- treat mobile hotspots differently to wifi. If you're using a phone as a hotspot the iPhone will go 'oh wifi, cool - download everything'. On android you can tell it to treat hotspots like mobile data so it keeps limits in place

Closest I can find on iOS is the My Data Manager app which can notify you when you get close to your data usage, but can't disable mobile data.nand for some reason it needs location services on even when the app isn't active

What are your limits?

My daughter has a cheap 500MB contract

Top Bottom