• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K15 First Footage and Gameplay changes

Might wait for reviews and gaf impressions before picking up this one...

It's Yukes. If you liked the previous ones you will probably like this one. IGN will give it a 9 and say how its the best one yet, since they have the marketing deal with them and exclusive preview.

s_mirage

They could really buy a lot of goodwill from me for this game if they just showed off the CAW mode so we'd know what it has and what you can do in it. Still so fucking stupid that they don't allow crossgender matches or women to be in royal rumble matches, even if it's women only. We can't bleed or be in royal rumble matches, but we can be in hell in a cell? It's so obvious that the developers are just that incompetent that they forgot to check the box that allows female CAWs to do things that they should be allowed to.

Nah, doubt it. It's likely WWE that demands these limitations. Women bleeding, crossgender matches, etc, have all gone since WWE went PG.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Might as well and hope the rumor of 2k having a second team creating the 2k16 version is true and they were just using Yukes for this one to meet WWE's yearly demand.

People thought that last year. It's not like 2k eagerly sought out the WWE license. I doubt it'll ever get any better.

But don't worry, Yukes will continue to namedrop King of Colosseum 2 because that's a good game and if we say it enough, maybe our game will be good.

Nah, doubt it. It's likely WWE that demands these limitations. Women bleeding, crossgender matches, etc, have all gone since WWE went PG.

It doesn't make sense at all though. How are crossgender matches or women bleeding more M rated than dudes bleeding? If they wanted to be purely PG they'd take dudes bleeding out too. And aren't there plenty of T rated fighting games like this one where anyone can fight anyone?

Like I get where they're coming from but I still think it's stupid.

HT UK

Might as well and hope the rumor of 2k having a second team creating the 2k16 version is true and they were just using Yukes for this one to meet WWE's yearly demand.

EwikC1H.gif

People thought that last year. It's not like 2k eagerly sought out the WWE license. I doubt it'll ever get any better.

But don't worry, Yukes will continue to namedrop King of Colosseum 2 because that's a good game and if we say it enough, maybe our game will be good.

WWE are forcing to to make a yearly release. When they purchased the franchise last year it was too late to change that game or really this years if you consider the average game takes two years to make. There were some rumors that 2k is making a brand new engine from the ground up without Yikes and Yikes will be let go after this one. Let's hold out hope it is true.

I was really hoping EA would get this license.

strobogo

Banned
I really hope this bombs so that 2k comes back with something better. But the masses will still eat this up.

The game looks so shitty.

That's because it's the only wrestling game. If you want to play a new wrestling game, you have no choice but these games. Most people have the same issues with the game that everyone in here has, but deal with them because they want something current. "The masses will still eat this up" is pretty misleading when the masses generally think the games are wonky and need a lot of fixing, but play them anyway instead of 5-10 year old Japanese wrestling games.

That's because it's the only wrestling game. If you want to play a new wrestling game, you have no choice but these games. Most people have the same issues with the game that everyone in here has, but deal with them because they want something current. "The masses will still eat this up" is pretty misleading when the masses generally think the games are wonky and need a lot of fixing, but play them anyway instead of 5-10 year old Japanese wrestling games.

What's worse is people have actually been stuck with yukes so long, that some actually think the games are good now and happy with them.

I wouldn't be surprised if this game has lower staying power than 2K14, that game fell off the radar quick as hell but since this a new generation title, it will likely have longer legs going into 2K16.

Rapstah

It doesn't make sense at all though. How are crossgender matches or women bleeding more M rated than dudes bleeding? If they wanted to be purely PG they'd take dudes bleeding out too. And aren't there plenty of T rated fighting games like this one where anyone can fight anyone?

Like I get where they're coming from but I still think it's stupid.

I think the difference is there are people at WWE and Yuke's lobbying for blood to be in the game. Is it still on by default? I seem to remember it being on by default in WWE '13 and then not in 2k14.

Lrrr

Your anger is misdirected. The WWE dictates to 2K what the developer is allowed to put in the game. That is part of the licensing agreement. It's how all entities control their product. A few years ago in Madden, EA had added, and promoted, the ability to knock off a players helmet if you hit him hard enough. The NFL frowned down upon it (due to all the concussion lawsuits) and made EA remove it from later iterations. The same is true for NBA 2K. When LeBron left Cleveland for Miami, 2K wanted to make it so that whenever LBJ played in Cleveland, the fans would boo him mercilessly every time he touched the ball, which was based on real life. The NBA forbid 2K from putting it in the game.

WWE is notorious for controlling their product image. Honestly, when was the last time a female wrestler purposely bladed in a WWE sanctioned match? The guys still bleed though it's exceedingly rare, but the women, er, excuse me...the Divas? Nah. Women not bleeding is actually very consistent with how WWE portrays them. Actually, considering how little TV time they get, you should be happy they're in the game at all.

What I desire is the ability to put a title (real or created) on the line in a tournament or a 30-man Royal Rumble match. We had that option in No Mercy and that was 10+ years ago. Makes it impossible to recreate the classic 1992 rumble when Flair came in at #3 and outlasted everyone to win the title.

strobogo

Banned
Your anger is misdirected. The WWE dictates to 2K what the developer is allowed to put in the game. That is part of the licensing agreement. It's how all entities control their product. A few years ago in Madden, EA had added, and promoted, the ability to knock off a players helmet if you hit him hard enough. The NFL frowned down upon it (due to all the concussion lawsuits) and made EA remove it from later iterations. The same is true for NBA 2K. When LeBron left Cleveland for Miami, 2K wanted to make it so that whenever LBJ played in Cleveland, the fans would boo him mercilessly every time he touched the ball, which was based on real life. The NBA forbid 2K from putting it in the game.

WWE is notorious for controlling their product image. Honestly, when was the last time a female wrestler purposely bladed in a WWE sanctioned match? The guys still bleed though it's exceedingly rare, but the women, er, excuse me...the Divas? Nah. Women not bleeding is actually very consistent with how WWE portrays them. Actually, considering how little TV time they get, you should be happy they're in the game at all.

What I desire is the ability to put a title (real or created) on the line in a tournament or a 30-man Royal Rumble match. We had that option in No Mercy and that was 10+ years ago. Makes it impossible to recreate the classic 1992 rumble when Flair came in at #3 and outlasted everyone to win the title.

I don't think there has ever been a match with women blading in WWE. Even during the Attitude Era. There were a couple of matches where a woman was busted open, but I think only in a hardcore match at an errant weapons shot.

It's Yukes. If you liked the previous ones you will probably like this one. IGN will give it a 9 and say how its the best one yet, since they have the marketing deal with them and exclusive preview.

I'll always remember the year they had it with Miller in charge of hype duty and then the game came out and he gave it a surprisingly low score which probably wasn't low enough but from all the hype he was putting behind it people expected more. IGN didn't have the "Superstar Countdown" and all that stuff for awhile and it moved to Gamespot.

That's the thing, it's wildly inconsistent. Women have actually been in Royal Rumble matches, yet they're not allowed to be in them in the games. They have not to my knowledge been in a Hell In a Cell match, yet that's allowed. Why? The answer would probably be there's only 4 Diva slots in the game and that's not enough for a Rumble match, but the thing is people create tons of CAWs and it seems silly to not allow women in the game that way. That's what I mean by them just forgetting to flip a switch sometimes that allows things.

I understand the blood thing. I think it's stupid and sexist to say that women can't bleed or compete in intergender matches, especially in a video game...but that's the WWE for you. I don't think my anger is misdirected. I'm angry at Yukes for making terrible video games and I'm mad at WWE for allowing them to be this bad and imposing bullshit rules like that.

Hope they announce a release date for the PC version soon so modders can make all this go away.

Lrrr

That's the thing, it's wildly inconsistent. Women have actually been in Royal Rumble matches, yet they're not allowed to be in them in the games. They have not to my knowledge been in a Hell In a Cell match, yet that's allowed. Why? The answer would probably be there's only 4 Diva slots in the game and that's not enough for a Rumble match, but the thing is people create tons of CAWs and it seems silly to not allow women in the game that way. That's what I mean by them just forgetting to flip a switch sometimes that allows things.

I understand the blood thing. I think it's stupid and sexist to say that women can't bleed or compete in intergender matches, especially in a video game...but that's the WWE for you.

It's not sexist to disallow the women characters to bleed. Like I asked earlier, when was the last time a female wrestler bleed in a sanctioned WWE match? As for mixed-tag matches, I can see why WWE eliminated them. In today's hyper-sensitive world, a male wrestler hitting a female would bring them unwanted controversy.

As for the Rumble, only three women have entered - Chyna (1999, 2000), Beth Phoenix (2010) and (2012) Kharma, so it's not a regular occurrence. As for HIAC, it's a match type so WWE probably doesn't mind whereas showing a "Diva" covered in blood is more about presentation.

strobogo

Banned

I understand the blood thing. I think it's stupid and sexist to say that women can't bleed or compete in intergender matches, especially in a video game...but that's the WWE for you. I don't think my anger is misdirected. I'm angry at Yukes for making terrible video games and I'm mad at WWE for allowing them to be this bad and imposing bullshit rules like that.

Hope they announce a release date for the PC version soon so modders can make all this go away.

I can definitely see why they don't have women bleeding on TV or their games. They get enough shit over their treatment of women as it is. Having them busted open and bleeding just wouldn't fly.

Rapstah

The game will actually disqualify a male wrestler for attacking a female wrestler or manager. You can get Triple H to Pedigree Stephanie McMahon at WM18 in 2k14's WrestleMania mode and win by disqualification. I don't know what happens in a no-DQ match but it's probably ruled a no contest or something. I was going to say that this was company policy, but Kharma entered the 2012 Royal Rumble and was dropkicked out by Dolph Ziggler (right?) and their policy would have been identical back then, so it essentially has to be a matter of not wanting people to be able to make their product look bad.

Compbros

Doubt that's it considering WWE games have never been rated E10+ which is the PG of video games. It's a T rating, having women bleed won't make it M as it never did.

As for the Rumble, only three women have entered - Chyna (1999, 2000), Beth Phoenix (2010) and (2012) Kharma, so it's not a regular occurrence. As for HIAC, it's a match type so WWE probably doesn't mind whereas showing a "Diva" covered in blood is more about presentation.

Yes, but it's actually happened so it sets more of a precedent for women being in rumble matches than hell in a cell, which has never happened. I mean..it's a game mode. Why limit it? I'm not arguing that it's happened on TV so it should happen, I'm just saying that it's silly for them to limit game modes based on gender.
It's not sexist to disallow the women characters to bleed. Like I asked earlier, when was the last time a female wrestler bleed in a sanctioned WWE match? As for mixed-tag matches, I can see why WWE eliminated them. In today's hyper-sensitive world, a male wrestler hitting a female would bring them unwanted controversy.
But..it's a fighting game. It's wrestling. Crossgender matches used to be in the game and I don't recall anyone complaining. WWE itself did that. But I think you're reading all my posts as being just about the blood when that was like one or two sentences. I think the limiting game modes part is more important than that, I'm just saying if they allow dudes to bleed and it's PG why not women?

I can definitely see why they don't have women bleeding on TV or their games. They get enough shit over their treatment of women as it is. Having them busted open and bleeding just wouldn't fly.

As a wrestling fan I would say "well thank god they're letting them wrestle now!" They get shit because the main roster matches are limited to 3 minutes and the storylines are pathetic. Like honestly who the hell is going to notice these changes in a WWE video game but wrestling fans? Just include this kinda stuff in the options menu like they do dudes bleeding if it's gonna get little jimmy's dad uncomfortable that women wrestle in a wrestling game.

s_mirage

Doubt that's it considering WWE games have never been rated E10+ which is the PG of video games. It's a T rating, having women bleed won't make it M as it never did.

It's not about the actual rating, it's about how WWE wants their product to be viewed. They're a lot more cautious about male on female violence than the were in the Attitude era, and, as was stated earlier, female wrestlers never bladed AFAIK even back in the attitude era.

The current content is a reflection of the TV product: first bra and panties matches went, then intergender matches went, then bleeding went. Except for the blood, which didn't really feature on TV anyway, the match types went as they were no longer part of the real show.

That reminds me of just how god damn stupid bra and panties matches were. In a profession where most people are wearing just their underwear anyway, you have a match where you wear more clothing to start with..and have to strip your opponent to their underwear, which they would have come out in anyway if it was a normal match.

Lrrr

Yes, but it's actually happened so it sets more of a precedent for women being in rumble matches than hell in a cell, which has never happened. I mean..it's a game mode. Why limit it? I'm not arguing that it's happened on TV so it should happen, I'm just saying that it's silly for them to limit game modes based on gender.

It's not about game modes; it's about presentation. WWE doesn't even call their female athletes "women wrestlers" anymore. They refer to them as "Divas" who are fighting over the "Divas Championship" while also making drama on "Total Divas". They don't want their divas covered in blood in real life or a video game.

But..it's a fighting game. It's wrestling. Crossgender matches used to be in the game and I don't recall anyone complaining. WWE itself did that. But I think you're reading all my posts as being just about the blood when that was like one or two sentences. I think the limiting game modes part is more important than that, I'm just saying if they allow dudes to bleed and it's PG why not women?

Considering how wildly incorrect the media always presents video games (everything from GTA to Mass Effect), imagine a contrived morning news segment where the "reporter" tells the uninformed masses that in the latest WWE game, a game that is marketed towards children, a male wrestler can hit, and subsequently bloody, a female wrestler? Imagine the outcry from that and then you'll understand why WWE removed mixed-tag matches from their programming and their games. No one is going to complain about four divas fighting in a HIAC match.

That reminds me of just how god damn stupid bra and panties matches were. In a profession where most people are wearing just their underwear anyway, you have a match where you wear more clothing to start with..and have to strip your opponent to their underwear, which they would have come out in anyway if it was a normal match.

Of course they were stupid, but they were a ratings ploy and they worked.

It's not about game modes; it's about presentation. WWE doesn't even call their female athletes "women wrestlers" anymore. They refer to them as "Divas" who are fighting over the "Divas Championship" while also making drama on "Total Divas". They don't want their divas covered in blood in real life or a video game.

Considering how wildly incorrect the media always presents video games (everything from GTA to Mass Effect), imagine a contrived morning news segment where the "reporter" tells the uninformed masses that in the latest WWE game, a game that is marketed towards children, a male wrestler can hit, and subsequently bloody, a female wrestler? Imagine the outcry from that and then you'll understand why WWE removed mixed-tag matches from their programming and their games. No one is going to complain about four divas fighting in a HIAC match.
Ok, let's remove blood from it. That seems to be what you've fixated on from my comments, so let's just remove it from both men and women which would better match the current WWE product anyway. How is it different from say, Street Fighter then? A hell in a cell match is a lot worse than an intergender match. Someone being thrown twenty feet off a steel cage onto concrete is worse than a punch. And you're acting like the mainstream media is even going to notice what a pro wrestling game does. WWE would kill for that kind of attention. Like, did anyone even give a shit when intergender matches were in the game?

Lrrr

Ok, let's remove blood from it. That seems to be what you've fixated on from my comments, so let's just remove it from both men and women which would better match the current WWE product anyway. How is it different from say, Street Fighter then? A hell in a cell match is a lot worse than an intergender match. Someone being thrown twenty feet off a steel cage onto concrete is worse than a punch. And you're acting like the mainstream media is even going to notice what a pro wrestling game does. WWE would kill for that kind of attention.

I keep talking about blood because you continue complaining about it. :)

Watching Ryu give Chun-Li a Shoryuken doesn't have the same societal impact, especially in this post-Ray Rice NFL world, as say watching a digital version of Seth Rollins delivering a Curb Stomp to Paige. One could argue that "Seth" and "Paige" are no more real than any fighting game character and to a degree, they'd be right, but that's missing the bigger picture.

In this post-Ray Rice NFL world, the WWE would not kill for the kind of attention that would come from a story about how their video game product allows men to beat up women. No, you have that completely wrong.

Barryman

It's not about the game's rating -- it's about WWE wanting it to properly reflect its corporate image.

I keep talking about blood because you continue complaining about it. :)

Watching Ryu give Chun-Li a Shoryuken doesn't have the same societal impact, especially in this post-Ray Rice NFL world, as say watching a digital version of Seth Rollins delivering a Curb Stomp to Paige. One could argue that "Seth" and "Paige" are no more real than any fighting game character and to a degree, they'd be right, but that's missing the bigger picture.

In this post-Ray Rice NFL world, the WWE would not kill for the kind of attention that would come from a story about how their video game product allows men to beat up women. No, you have that completely wrong.
I mentioned it like twice in a "why do they even have it for the dudes if they don't allow it for women either?" way. I'm more of the opinion that they should just remove the blood all together than just saying only dudes can bleed as a rule.

And comparing it to football is ridiculous because 1: Wrestling is fake. 2: wrestling is fake. 4: it is a combat sport, that is by the way 5: fake.

Like, you seem to think there would be a huge media scandal if they reintroduced cross-gender matches into the game and I'm just not seeing it. No one would give a shit. And please, Paige would kick Seth Rollin's ass.

Lrrr

I mentioned it like twice in a "why do they even have it for the dudes if they don't allow it for women either?" way. I'm more of the opinion that they should just remove the blood all together than just saying only dudes can bleed as a rule.

And comparing it to football is ridiculous because 1: Wrestling is fake. 2: wrestling is fake. 4: it is a combat sport, that is by the way 5: fake.

Like, you seem to think there would be a huge media scandal if they reintroduced cross-gender matches into the game and I'm just not seeing it. No one would give a shit. And please, Paige would kick Seth Rollin's ass.

Okay, I thought I was having a serious discussion about WWE corporate and the way it wants to present itself, but this last post of yours makes it clear that you're not to be taken seriously.

Good night.

Okay, I thought I was having a serious discussion about WWE corporate and the way it wants to present itself, but this last post of yours makes it clear that you're not to be taken seriously.

Good night.

I thought...from the tone of my posts that it was pretty clear from the start I was just complaining about the limited game modes for women and how shitty that is and that I hope it's fixed by mods. I know exactly why WWE does what it does, I've heard the arguments that it would be like promoting violence against women, which is the strangest thing to me because..it's wrestling.

Perhaps I'm not explaining myself well or giving enough examples of just how strange the game can be about it. I'll give another example. In the custom story editor, there are cutscenes that women just straight up can't be in unless you replace the referee. Because the referee already being knocked out is considered cross-gender violence to these games.

What I want, ideally, is cross-gender matches, but if that's not going to happen I would at least like all the match types and custom story options available.

strobogo

Banned
I thought...from the tone of my posts that it was pretty clear from the start I was just complaining about the limited game modes for women and how shitty that is and that I hope it's fixed by mods. I know exactly why WWE does what it does, I've heard the arguments that it would be like promoting violence against women, which is the strangest thing to me because..it's wrestling.

Perhaps I'm not explaining myself well or giving enough examples of just how strange the game can be about it. I'll give another example. In the custom story editor, there are cutscenes that women just straight up can't be in unless you replace the referee. Because the referee already being knocked out is considered cross-gender violence to these games.

What I want, ideally, is cross-gender matches, but if that's not going to happen I would at least like all the match types and custom story options available.

I don't even remember when there were intergender matches in the Smackdown series. How long ago was that?

Hasney

Make men and women able to compete in any match or mode with everyone and we all win!

This is in no way linked to the fact that I want a sequel to Kanes women's title run in No Mercy

Compbros

It's not about the actual rating, it's about how WWE wants their product to be viewed. They're a lot more cautious about male on female violence than the were in the Attitude era, and, as was stated earlier, female wrestlers never bladed AFAIK even back in the attitude era.

The current content is a reflection of the TV product: first bra and panties matches went, then intergender matches went, then bleeding went. Except for the blood, which didn't really feature on TV anyway, the match types went as they were no longer part of the real show.

It's not about the game's rating -- it's about WWE wanting it to properly reflect its corporate image.

Then why have blood, chair shots to the head, inferno matches, the ability to fall off the Hell in a Cell, piledrivers, etc. If it's about image then they should be making the game as fun as possible and not have over the top violence like a barbed wire 2x4.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Less than a month from release, and they've talked about the Season Pass and DLC more than the gameplay modes. The only thing they've shown is 3 full entrances and some spliced up, heavily edited stuff in the trailer.

No finishers, no 'lengthy match' like they did the last two years. All very, very curious.

Into

A buddy of mine came over and he popped in that FPR, he fought Macho Man for the WCW Heavyweight Title, he was Booker T

He had a back and fourth 28min match, that was actually exciting to watch, the momentum switched many times, and the risque ariel moves of Macho Man backfired, as Booker T managed a offense that he kept up.

Close finishes would dominate the latter parts of the match, as 2,99 counts were happening, both men were tired and could barely move, and it was at half speed at best, but in the end the WCW reigning champion of my save file, Macho Man won the match. Dave Meltzer rated it 4 and a half stars.

And then he said "so..there is that WWE game coming out?" and i cried

Less than a month from release, and they've talked about the Season Pass and DLC more than the gameplay modes. The only thing they've shown is 3 full entrances and some spliced up, heavily edited stuff in the trailer.

No finishers, no 'lengthy match' like they did the last two years. All very, very curious.

A lot of people who are regulars of NBA 2k say that this is par for the course. Apparently 2k's marketing only ramps up in the last month before release. That means we should be seeing something substantial very soon.

At least I hope.

Stop the outdated notion that women can't compete with men in the ring. Give us intergender matches. #wrasslingate

Physically? One on one? The WWE doesn't have many women who could make it believable. There is also the whole thing about avoiding violence against women on TV.

If they remove that Create a Finisher mode, I wouldn't mind.

I hate how they relegated a bunch of old moves to create a finisher. If you wanted to use The Rock's old (good) Rock Bottom, you needed to make it in CAF, but not without putting a taunt or strike beforehand. There was also Austin's Stunner animation where they don't sell like The Rock, and he taunts the opponent after.

Rapstah

Create-a-finisher was always shit. At least the "front grapple" mode. I don't know why they insisted on having it in there. Maybe because they at one point actually made their own finishers in there? I know JBL at one point used to have a powerbomb finisher made out of segments you can still pick in create-a-finisher.

Physically? One on one? The WWE doesn't have many women who could make it believable. There is also the whole thing about avoiding violence against women on TV.

LIterally the only one on the current roster who I could see being even half way believable would be Natalya. She's a legit great wrestler,and not just a good womens wrestler.

Physically? One on one? The WWE doesn't have many women who could make it believable.

That's why the game bans you from having The Big Show fight Rey Mysterio.

LIterally the only one on the current roster who I could see being even half way believable would be Natalya. She's a legit great wrestler,and not just a good womens wrestler.
She's a legit great wrestler,and not just a good womens wrestler
Whoa.

Where did this weird "Natalya is the only woman in the WWE who can actually wrestle" meme come from? Are you buying their she was trained in the hart dungeon so she's obviously superior stuff? Natalya's good, but she's certainly not the only good wrestler they have. They exist on the main roster, though you'd never know it with all women's matches on main roster shows being five minutes or under, but they have plenty more in NXT where they actually get time to wrestle and actual angles and stuff. It's pretty rad. Check it out.

Top Bottom