• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K15 First Footage and Gameplay changes

Where did this weird "Natalya is the only woman in the WWE who can actually wrestle" meme come from? Are you buying their she was trained in the hart dungeon so she's obviously superior stuff? Natalya's good, but she's certainly not the only good wrestler they have. They exist on the main roster, though you'd never know it with all women's matches on main roster shows being five minutes or under, but they have plenty more in NXT where they actually get time to wrestle and actual angles and stuff. It's pretty rad. Check it out.

It's about believability and not just wrestling ability. Paige, charlotte, Bailey, emma, lynch for example are all pretty damn good.But they don't really have that "I can hang with the guys" kinda feel to them (well maybe paige does a little)

Natalya on the other hand really does wrestle like a Hart. If you've ever seen her do some proper chain wrestling and been in a match where there's some actual psychology (since she's been relegated to appearing in cluster fuck total divas tag matches theyr few and far between) you can see just how damn good she is, and has that it factor to her. There's been training footage of her wrestling dudes and looking like she's completely holding her own.

stn

Keep in mind that I'm not a wrestling fan anymore but am just in it for the nostalgia. I bought 2K14 after seeing the huge legends roster. I regret nothing, I like it just as much as No Mercy. Which is, coincidentally, the last wrestling game I played.

Now, hear me out. No Mercy has much better and simpler gameplay, plus an actual story mode. But the customization in 2K14 nailed it for me. The CAW mode is the best ever, just wish they would increase the quality of attires so that they don't look painted on in some cases. Not to mention I've had too much fun downloading other people's amazing CAW's. You download a rendered DDP, for example, give him his custom theme, and its like he was put in the game by the developer itself.

I'm kind of skeptical with 2K15 because I heard the legends roster will be slimmer this year. And that the CAW mode will have less attire options. Still, will watch the reviews carefully and decide then. Though I will say that there seems to be zero point to getting the PS360 version if you do buy. What's the point when said versions will lack career mode?

Hasney

Well if the massive slimdown in CAW options is correct and the fact that the PS3/360 versions are re-skins, I wouldn't be shocked if some people who just like creating and running fantasy feds did get that version.

strobogo

Banned
Nattie isn't good and everyone bought into the hype of her being a Hart more than actually seeing any evidence of being a great wrestler. She's had 2 good matches in 6 years. Most of the time she looks as lost and bad as all the Diva Search women. Charlotte is better than her at everything and is only a year deep in her career.

Kaiterra

Banned
I agree with QueenOfThorns completely. Taking the ability to have intergender matches out after SVR 2009 was really, really lame and it's really not fair to female players who would want to play with their friends or live the dream of main eventing Wrestlemania with their own CAWs. That's not me, I'm just a guy who feels like this really cuts down on the types of characters I can play with in my WWE Universe and that really sucks too, but I can empathize with the complaints I've seen.

And the concerns about "image" and "believability" are so ridiculous to me. All you have to do in wrestling is say a wrestler is capable of "hanging with the big guys" and give them a win or two to prove it or inject emotional stakes to make the crowd want to see it and there you go. Various indies have been bucking this trend for a while now.

Women aren't only capable of being helpless victims in real life and if we can accept ass kicking women in scripted films or TV series, why is it such a stretch for wrestling? The WWE just doesn't have any interest in presenting that at all, and that's all the more unfortunate when it doesn't just apply to their televised product, but also has to restrict our fantasy nonsense video games.

I'm glad that there are usually people who upload hacked female CAWs with their gender setting swapped so there's a partial way around it, at least. I'd love to see some dudes tap out to the Black Widow though.

Rapstah

Has any new commentary been shown off at all? If they've recorded any they've been really bad at showing it off. Every trailer (that I've seen, and honestly I may have missed a few) has that moment where they play a King reaction clip to something and it's never a new clip. Sometimes the clips are really old.

HT UK

Something tells me the Rock wasn't scanned:

pfY5HqZ.jpg

I saw the Making Of vid, and even though I fully expect the gameplay to suck, if they could actually accomplish wrestlers feeling unique again, like the PS2 generation, that would at least be a step in the right direction.

Heroman

Banned
I agree with QueenOfThorns completely. Taking the ability to have intergender matches out after SVR 2009 was really, really lame and it's really not fair to female players who would want to play with their friends or live the dream of main eventing Wrestlemania with their own CAWs. That's not me, I'm just a guy who feels like this really cuts down on the types of characters I can play with in my WWE Universe and that really sucks too, but I can empathize with the complaints I've seen.

And the concerns about "image" and "believability" are so ridiculous to me. All you have to do in wrestling is say a wrestler is capable of "hanging with the big guys" and give them a win or two to prove it or inject emotional stakes to make the crowd want to see it and there you go. Various indies have been bucking this trend for a while now.

Women aren't only capable of being helpless victims in real life and if we can accept ass kicking women in scripted films or TV series, why is it such a stretch for wrestling? The WWE just doesn't have any interest in presenting that at all, and that's all the more unfortunate when it doesn't just apply to their televised product, but also has to restrict our fantasy nonsense video games.

I'm glad that there are usually people who upload hacked female CAWs with their gender setting swapped so there's a partial way around it, at least. I'd love to see some dudes tap out to the Black Widow though.
It not gonna happen since wwe has a anti men hitting women polities and I doubt they let 2k put it in the game.

Kaiterra

Banned
It not gonna happen since wwe has a anti men hitting women polities and I doubt they let 2k put it in the game.

Yeah, I thought my post made it clear I was aware of that. This is a thing I've been arguing with with people on the official WWE Games boards and on GameFAQs for years. Just because the WWE wants to present itself one way doesn't mean I have to agree that it's right or that the arguements I see put forth by fans who would rather not see it change aren't largely sexist or closed-minded nonsense, especially in an era where kayfabe no longer exists. This isn't just a thing I'd want to see changed in the game, but also on TV. It's just that it bugs me a lot more in the game because a lot of the draw of the game for me is having the WWE that I don't get to have on TV. Otherwise I could just watch the Network all day. It's why I love Universe mode and my greatest wish for these games is for it to realize its true potential.

Dude, do you not get sick of shitting on this game? Even as much as I dislike the recent games, I still don't continue to post about them lol.

It's kind of like the actual WWE product. The only enjoyment one can get out of it is shitting on it. Thank you Yukes for such an accurate real life representation. Truly the masters of their craft. Platinum, Nintendo, and Bethesda could learn a thing or two about game design from them.

It's kind of like the actual WWE product. The only enjoyment one can get out of it is shitting on it. Thank you Yukes for such an accurate real life representation. Truly the masters of their craft. Platinum, Nintendo, and Bethesda could learn a thing or two about game design from them.

This is pretty accurate....espeically considering Iv just spent the last half an hour shitting on some absolutely confusing booking on RAW tonight, yet here I am,still staying awake for it.

strobogo

Banned
Is there really a thread on GAMING SIDE where people are complaining about people complaining? On GAMING SIDE? Is this the world that I've stepped into?

Lrrr

Your quibbles are invalid because it has nothing to do with WWE presenting women as helpless victims. When the company had inter-gender matches back in the AE era, Chyna was given two I-C title reigns, so she was shown to be able to hang with the men. That said, the new WWE no longer wants to showcase that type of content. It is not sexist of them to change directions and the people trying desperately to explain (not justify) their reasoning aren't narrow-minded. You're projecting your own issues onto a product that has long since changed. I miss the old WWE too but bitching about it, and throwing around baseless accusations, on forums won't bring those things back. You want to see women fighting? Go watch UFC and have your fill. Either way, just get over it and move on already.

Let's get back to discussing the game. I'm dismayed by the fact that with only a few weeks to release, 2K has barely shown anything. They did this last year with NBA 2K14 and it was a dud. Usually when a company is confident in their product, they show it off a great deal. This lack of media gives me a bad feeling.

Look at the damn Rock model. How can anyone be happy with that? lol. I just want a damn good wrestling game. Allstars was a decent game. I didn't complain about that one. I'm sure people at 2k visit this thread so they need to know.

gunstarhero

Let's get back to discussing the game. I'm dismayed by the fact that with only a few weeks to release, 2K has barely shown anything. They did this last year with NBA 2K14 and it was a dud. Usually when a company is confident in their product, they show it off a great deal. This lack of media gives me a bad feeling.

I'm thinking of cancellation my Hulkamania edition... I'm really worried this game has a lot of issues because of the lack of footage. Plus the little footage I've seen has me on the fence.

Your quibbles are invalid because it has nothing to do with WWE presenting women as helpless victims. When the company had inter-gender matches back in the AE era, Chyna was given two I-C title reigns, so she was shown to be able to hang with the men. That said, the new WWE no longer wants to showcase that type of content. It is not sexist of them to change directions and the people trying desperately to explain (not justify) their reasoning aren't narrow-minded. You're projecting your own issues onto a product that has long since changed. I miss the old WWE too but bitching about it, and throwing around baseless accusations, on forums won't bring those things back. You want to see women fighting? Go watch UFC and have your fill. Either way, just get over it and move on already.

We are talking about the game. We're discussing features we want in the game, and you're here to say we should only talk about what's best for WWE's corporate structure and call our complaints quibbles and to get over it.

Like if you don't want intergender matches or more options for the female CAWs just say so, don't say that the people who want options that used to be in the games are stupid for wanting it and to get over it.

Also what's this about WWE not presenting women as helpless victims? lol. Wasn't there a thing this year where Kane was after Brie Bella, Daniel Bryan's wife, and she was presented as helpless that needed saving by DB. She couldn't even throw a punch or two despite being a wrestler.

We are talking about the game. We're discussing features we want in the game, and you're here to say we should only talk about what's best for WWE's corporate structure and call our complaints quibbles and to get over it.

Like if you don't want intergender matches or more options for the female CAWs just say so, don't say that the people who want options that used to be in the games are stupid for wanting it and to get over it.

I'd like these things too but Yukes 2k don't have a say in it. They have actually done interviews saying as much. They are just following WWE policy.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
There were so many shit custom finishers from people online. Stuff like 10 kicks in a row followed by a Backcracker. VGCW also discovered what was nicknamed the Glitch Bomb which gave the opponent 100% damage to every body part.

I hate how they relegated a bunch of old moves to create a finisher. If you wanted to use The Rock's old (good) Rock Bottom, you needed to make it in CAF, but not without putting a taunt or strike beforehand. There was also Austin's Stunner animation where they don't sell like The Rock, and he taunts the opponent after.

Which is why this feature needs to go. I have almost every move I could want the game except the "Phoenix Splash" and the "630" .

Lrrr

Look at the damn Rock model. How can anyone be happy with that? lol. I just want a damn good wrestling game. Allstars was a decent game. I didn't complain about that one. I'm sure people at 2k visit this thread so they need to know.

That Rock model is atrocious, but I won't blame 2K for that as usually the talent needs to make their way to the studio for scanning and they don't always have, or want to make, the time. To this day, Nets PG Deron Williams still hasn't made time to be scanned for the NBA 2K series. It's disappointing, but it happens.

As for WWE All-Stars, I never played it because it looked too over the top, but I've heard everyone say it was a great game.

I'm thinking of cancellation my Hulkamania edition... I'm really worried this game has a lot of issues because of the lack of footage. Plus the little footage I've seen has me on the fence.

Basically it looks exactly like 2K14 but with better graphics.

Yes, it's time to get over it because mixed-tag matches haven't been in the game since SvR 2009. Upon this release, it'll be 5 years since that feature was removed and it's because WWE dictates what can and cannot be in their game. It's that simple. You don't like it? Tweet your complaints to Vince, but unless WWE changes policy, you won't see mixed-tag matches on TV or in the game anytime soon, so yes, you need to get over it.

That's a helluva strawman you built there. I've never said, nor implied, anything of the sort. I'm saying continuing to incessantly complain about a feature that was removed, under the direct orders of WWE, is pointless.

Also what's this about WWE not presenting women as helpless victims? lol. Wasn't there a thing this year where Kane was after Brie Bella, Daniel Bryan's wife, and she was presented as helpless that needed saving by DB. She couldn't even throw a punch or two despite being a wrestler.

You must've missed where they also booked Daniel Bryan - the then WWE champion - as literally running away from Kane and getting his ass handed to him on a weekly basis. That entire angle was booked poorly. It wasn't a "we're going to book the female to look helpless thing". Give me a break. This thread isn't to discuss the WWE television product. It's to discuss the upcoming game. The game, as it's been for the last four years, does not have mixed-tag matches. GET. OVER. IT.

strobogo

Banned
I doubt WWE tells Yukes "take this feature out and added it back 3 years later as a new feature" and "remove a bunch of moves and then sell them back as DLC".

Lrrr

I doubt WWE tells Yukes "take this feature out and added it back 3 years later as a new feature" and "remove a bunch of moves and then sell them back as DLC".

Actually, some years ago it was reported by JR that what sealed the deal for 2K being granted the rights was that they had a meeting with WWE officials to outline their entire business plan regarding how they would monetize the license and WWE was said to be very excited at the prospects. If 2K showed them how people are willing to fork over real money every year for MyPlayer and MyTeam nonsense in NBA2K, you better believe WWE gave them the green light to proceed with microtransactions. That's business.

The inter gender stuff isn't being added back. It's simply WWE policy.

Moves. 2k. Loves money. There is no doubt about that. Same goes for wrestlers who should really be in the base game.

Speaking of taking things out and putting them back in, how come they can't take out all the damn glitches? I was wrestling Big Show in 2k14 and he teleported from the ring to the top of the stage. That is just one example of the many glitches. I can't even have fun with tables anymore, because the janky gameplay and collission detection means I can't reliably set them up and pull off moves on them. This game has no qa or game testers?

strobogo

Banned
The glitches have been really bad for the last 3 years or so. Maybe 4. They got much worse when they changed the graphics engine that downgraded the official models to make them look more in line with the CAWs instead of the other way around. They also changed the physics engine towards weapons I believe around 2011 and then the next year the game was glitchy as shit when they tried to tweak it. Then they never fixed it.

The glitches have been really bad for the last 3 years or so. Maybe 4. They got much worse when they changed the graphics engine that downgraded the official models to make them look more in line with the CAWs instead of the other way around. They also changed the physics engine towards weapons I believe around 2011 and then the next year the game was glitchy as shit when they tried to tweak it. Then they never fixed it.

You would think they would fix the glitches in the move to PS4 and XBone, but no more glitches than ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD5dPrzHv94

Just look at the footage. Weapons not connecting and having no weight behind them. Chairs floating in the ropes. It's all still there on PS4.

You must've missed where they also booked Daniel Bryan - the then WWE champion - as literally running away from Kane and getting his ass handed to him on a weekly basis. That entire angle was booked poorly. It wasn't a "we're going to book the female to look helpless thing". Give me a break. This thread isn't to discuss the WWE television product. It's to discuss the upcoming game. The game, as it's been for the last four years, does not have mixed-tag matches. GET. OVER. IT.

You're the one who brought up the television product by saying one of the reasons women can't be in royal rumble matches or be in intergender matches is because they haven't done that on TV. Then you said they're not portrayed on TV as helpless victims. So I provided examples where they were, and for some reason they're invalidated because...everything was terrible, not just this. Also why do you keep saying mixed tag matches?

I can talk about the vast myriad of things these games are really bad at or do wrong. And no, I'm not going to get over it. I'm tired of playing these games just to find out I can't be in the fucking story mode or be in royal rumbles or face off against more than the 4 divas added to the game. I'm going to complain about that. Especially when I could do at least some of that in the older games.

strobogo

Banned
I remember that one year where Kurt Angle being magically turned into a woman was the only way you got a female story line in the story mode. And then I think there was one year where there was a Mickie James Road to Wrestlemania story. But that's it. If you are a woman and want to play a female story in the game, you're pretty well boned. Anyone denying that is silly. In the game, none of the Divas are ever ranked to 80, which really makes no sense since you can only use them against each other. But instead, they're 55-70ish for no reason. There is no reason to not have them at a normal ranking except to tell you that they are weak and useless in the game.

I remember that one year where Kurt Angle being magically turned into a woman was the only way you got a female story line in the story mode. And then I think there was one year where there was a Mickie James Road to Wrestlemania story. But that's it. If you are a woman and want to play a female story in the game, you're pretty well boned. Anyone denying that is silly. In the game, none of the Divas are ever ranked to 80, which really makes no sense since you can only use them against each other. But instead, they're 55-70ish for no reason. There is no reason to not have them at a normal ranking except to tell you that they are weak and useless in the game.

Yukes are such a master at their craft, they have created a 100% accurate representation of the current WWE product, where women are either sluts or crazy and they need a man to be happy. Their main moves are hair pulling and small packages and matches last on average 2 minutes.

tumblr_mjxbuem6Z31r275ffo1_250.gif

Rapstah

In SvR 2007 and 2008, Divas had way worse stats than now. Kurt Angle had 95 in overall stats in the same game as Daivari and Kid Kash and a bunch of divas who were barely above 50. These days, I don't think anyone actually has below 70 in overall stats, but that may also be because they realised the implications of the overall number are more important than how good the character actually is and started weighting the overalls and faking stuff.

Lita has 79 in WWE 2k14 and Jinder Mahal, the worst ranked playable guy, has 80.

Hasney

That Rock model is atrocious, but I won't blame 2K for that as usually the talent needs to make their way to the studio for scanning and they don't always have, or want to make, the time. To this day, Nets PG Deron Williams still hasn't made time to be scanned for the NBA 2K series. It's disappointing, but it happens.

Nah, I will blame them. Purely because 2k14 has better fan made custom textures than that Rock on the PS3. They could quite easily do a much better model than that.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
2K (by way of Bryce Yang, Director of WWE Brand Marketing at 2K) says that the idea of a Skylanders-like WWE game "has come up a lot" during meetings recently: http://www.gameblog.fr/news/46481-un-skylanders-like-wwe-2k-y-songe

I'm sure they'd use those Slam City figures, but WWE can't get anyone to watch that shit so good luck with that. Not only that, but they've been trying to have 2 games a year for a long time, and the second game never sells as much as they want.

It's a good thing they have no competition in the wrestling space for the WWE or the wrestling video games because they'd be up shit creek as soon as they did.

Into

If you cannot get wrestlers to look somewhat like human beings by simply walking, then that does not bode well for the rest of the game.

kobefadespacea5fa9.gif

Slightly sped up gif of NBA 2k15, other than the in-air floating jump that Kobe takes, everything looks precise and human. How is this achievable with 10 characters on screen but not in a 1on1 wrestling game?

Hasney

]
Slightly sped up gif of NBA 2k15, other than the in-air floating jump that Kobe takes, everything looks precise and human. How is this achievable with 10 characters on screen but not in a 1on1 wrestling game?

Because the engine is still based on code from 1999 almost. The big engine reboot of SD v Raw 2011 still used a ton of old animation.

Into

Because the engine is still based on code from 1999 almost. The big engine reboot of SD v Raw 2011 still used a ton of old animation.

Yep, that kind of jerky animation looked fine for a PSX release, but today its really telling how far behind the series is.

Nothing in those videos looks normal except the actual models and texture of Cena, Orton etc. As soon as they move even a inch the illusion of any kind of reality is out the window.

EDIT: And the excuse of "well they only have a year to make improvements give Yukes a break FFS!"

Well shit:

g07460639lr.jpg

Top Bottom