• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K15 First Footage and Gameplay changes

I have an idea for showcase mode,How about Rock Vs. HHH? How about some what-ifs? like HBK Vs. The Rock? Austin Vs. Goldberg or Hogan.

Would any of you like to have a Cruiserweight Division pack? Dean Malenko Ultimate Dragon, Chris Jericho, Rey, Lyger, etc?

I'd be down for both. Undertaker vs Sting circa 97, Warrior vs Sting circa 90, Diesel vs Kane etc

Also Lyger would be dope

There really is so much they can do but don't do it.....like a fictional Monday Night Wars storyline as you as a CAW jumping ship from show to show and random ally showing up on ECW

Was itching to buy and play a wrestling game for the PS4 but gutted to see that 2K haven't done much to improve the series this year. Last one I played was WWE13 and it was just simplified glitchy garbage. Thought that maybe the 2K takeover would've brought something interesting to the table but alas...

Back to Wrestlmania 2000 and No Mercy I go

The core gameplay is still horrible, but they did improve the presentation a ton in 14 and that will probably continue in 15. You should try out Firepro as an alternative. Game is incredible and I believe they are still releasing updated rosters online that you can download. The game pretty much let you create anyone ever.

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
Was itching to buy and play a wrestling game for the PS4 but gutted to see that 2K haven't done much to improve the series this year. Last one I played was WWE13 and it was just simplified glitchy garbage. Thought that maybe the 2K takeover would've brought something interesting to the table but alas...

Back to Wrestlmania 2000 and No Mercy I go

Next year will probably be the full 2k made game. This years looks to be the same as the last few years with a new coat of paint.

Signs that suggest the game will be a disaster:

2K asked to shelf the game for SIX MONTHS to continue to work on it. They were denied.

There is absolutely no truth to that. You're literally making stuff up.

2K announced the game for Fiscal 2015 in an investor report. Game Informer speculated that maybe it was releasing around Wrestlemania which is at the end of Fiscal 2015. 2K announced the October release date not long after to set the record straight.

Jamie OD

I still can't believe IGN got roped into having this as their game of the month for August. There is a hilarious lack of content out there for it and we're in October.

It wasn't like IGN knew this would happen. They usually get good coverage for the WWE games.

There is absolutely no truth to that. You're literally making stuff up.

2K announced the game for Fiscal 2015 in an investor report. Game Informer speculated that maybe it was releasing around Wrestlemania which is at the end of Fiscal 2015. 2K announced the October release date not long after to set the record straight.

How do you know there is no truth to the multiple rumors that were out from different sources about the delay unless you work for the company?

We have evidence that points in the direction of there being an initial delay. We don't know why it was officially denied but the general assumption is that the WWE wanted the game out for Christmas. We don't know for sure though.

dreamfall

Why can't they just put out a full 5 minute match video with developer commentary?

Why are they so afraid to just put out gameplay?

I'd like to know where the improvements are, outside of the wonderful visuals.

Literally all I've seen is shaky Youtube camera footage, little clips from commercials on T.V. and almost nothing else.

I'm in for the Hulkamania edition, but I'm not expecting some great Wrestling revolution. Something pretty. Something Yukes.

Why can't they just put out a full 5 minute match video with developer commentary?

Why are they so afraid to just put out gameplay?

I'd like to know where the improvements are, outside of the wonderful visuals.

Literally all I've seen is shaky Youtube camera footage, little clips from commercials on T.V. and almost nothing else.

I'm in for the Hulkamania edition, but I'm not expecting some great Wrestling revolution. Something pretty. Something Yukes.

Wonderful visuals? It looks like a slightly better PS3 game now. They are afraid to show gameplay, because its the same exact thing as last year and they keep touting 5x the animations and better commentary, both of which didn't look to be accurate by the gamescom demo. They don't want people to cancel preorders.

dreamfall

Wonderful visuals? It looks like a slightly better PS3 game now. They are afraid to show gameplay, because its the same exact thing as last year and they keep touting 5x the animations and better commentary, both of which didn't look to be accurate by the gamescom demo. They don't want people to cancel preorders.

Here's the thing- and I stand by this, SvR2007 was probably the biggest leap in terms of visuals for the series last gen. I swear, even with the touted Predator tech, the games continued to look stranger as the years went on- just all over the place.

So I'm thinking again, visually, this will be a more substantial graphical leap onto these newer consoles- maybe the most important one for awhile in this franchise. So I'm okay with that- but the lack of gameplay is pretty upsetting. Dev diaries of little clips of footage, a strange grapple chain system- I mean what is going on?

As much as I dislike the simplicity, and the stale gameplay, I enjoy the theatrics when each release comes out. I've bought so many wrestling games over the years, I'm part of the problem. The presentation of SvR2007 will always hold a special place in my heart (and those loading screens, good god). So yeah maybe not "wonderful," slightly better perhaps.

The visuals actually got worse last gen.

I think that 2k15 next gen looks great visually from what they've shown us but everything they have shown us has been carefully packaged. Direct feed gameplay would clear that up.

To me, even the quick gameplay clips from the commercial look horrible. I assume those are PS4 clips too.

Good news

Follow

WWE 2KVerified account
‏@WWEgames
We have plans over the next few weeks! #WWE2K15 RT @Xvicxkwills555: @WWEgames so when are the next gen questions going to be answered?

I'm so glad they have plans to answer our questions.

We haven't seen anything suggesting that. Well, we haven't seen much at all. I was at least expecting weekly gameplay trailers featuring a new feature from the game. We aren't even getting that.

The impressions we've been getting are mostly positive though, but it sounds like some of the new gameplay features will take some getting used to.

I still can't believe IGN got roped into having this as their game of the month for August. There is a hilarious lack of content out there for it and we're in October.

Why I know it's going to be shit. Don't ever believe gaming press impressions, it's 99% always positive and glowing

Gaming press is basically a tryout to be PR for a game company. I don't trust any game reviews from major outlets, especially ones where they have exclusive deals to show game content before release.

strobogo

Banned
Gaming press is basically a tryout to be PR for a game company. I don't trust any game reviews from major outlets, especially ones where they have exclusive deals to show game content before release.

And especially not ones that give the same review every year while saying how much improved it is and better than ever. Which is all of them. Even though it has been the same game for about 10 years now.

Kaiterra

Banned
And especially not ones that give the same review every year while saying how much improved it is and better than ever. Which is all of them. Even though it has been the same game for about 10 years now.

This would be a lot easier to forgive if the same BUGS didn't get ported over from year to year too. Ugh.

*Removed image. Wasn't sure if it was marketing materials or a magazine scan.*

Who got NXT mode looks like it might be the exclusive last gen mode. This looks like it replaces MyCareer as the mode to unlock NXT guys in the game.

We don't know for sure because 2K doesn't want to talk about the game.

Someone should hopefully have the last gen version tomorrow and do their job for them.

Who got NXT mode looks like it might be the exclusive last gen mode. This looks like it replaces MyCareer as the mode to unlock NXT guys in the game.

Someone should hopefully have the last gen version tomorrow and do their job for them.

This sounds fun.

Samus4145

Sadly outlets don't appear to be getting the last gen versions, at least that's what we were told.

Picking up my own copy to take a look at before the PS4 version hits.

Sadly outlets don't appear to be getting the last gen versions, at least that's what we were told.

Picking up my own copy to take a look at before the PS4 version hits.

That's horrible. What justification do they have not to send review copies of a game to an outlet to review?

Samus4145

That's horrible. What justification do they have not to send review copies of a game to an outlet to review?

To only show that current-gen visuals? No clue. All I was told was no last-gen copies were going out. Maybe only the IGNs of the world will get them.

Either way, I'm putting up a last-gen and current-gen review.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Grundle: The Awakening
To only show that current-gen visuals? No clue. All I was told was no last-gen copies were going out. Maybe only the IGNs of the world will get them.

Either way, I'm putting up a last-gen and current-gen review.

you're doing the lord's work. Can you check in see what did they add in Create an Arena?

you're doing the lord's work. Can you check in see what did they add in Create an Arena?

I'd love to know if the create a story/advanced CAW options are available in the next gen versions too. I'm assuming they're in the last gen version as it's a reskin but I'm super worried about the next gen and the comments so far about it being limited.

Mobile Suit Gooch

I'd love to know if the create a story/advanced CAW options are available in the next gen versions too. I'm assuming they're in the last gen version as it's a reskin but I'm super worried about the next gen and the comments so far about it being limited.

I never really used the Create a story mode. Just didn't seem like something I wanna invest too much time into.

But I'll be pissed (a little) if they make the Create a Superstar (because Kevin Dunn doesn't like the word Wrestler) limited only to find out that you have to go through My career mode to unlock everything you want to use.

And as for CAA, they should just let me start from scratch along with the presets.

I never really used the Create a story mode. Just didn't seem like something I wanna invest too much time into.

But I'll be pissed (a little) if they make the Create a Superstar (because Kevin Dunn doesn't like the word Wrestler) limited only to find out that you have to go through My career mode to unlock everything you want to use.

And as for CAA, they should just let me start from scratch along with the presets.

Hasn't it always been like that? In 2k14 you unlock create a wrestler shit by doing career mode and the different Mania challenges. I never create wrestlers so I never cared about it.

Bobo, you have the third most posts in this thread and by all accounts you fucking hate these games. Why would you subject yourself to something you hate if only to tell other people how much you hate it?

Bobo, you have the third most posts in this thread and by all accounts you fucking hate these games. Why would you subject yourself to something you hate if only to tell other people how much you hate it?

I had high hopes for the next gen version, before they shit the bed and it turned horrible. I was actually going to rebuy a PS4 for this game. Now I just want to see how bad they fuck it up. I'll still play it on PS3 like I did the previous ones, which basically means I play the story modes until I finish and then never touch it again.

I had high hopes for the next gen version, before they shit the bed and it turned horrible. I was actually going to rebuy a PS4 for this game. Now I just want to see how bad they fuck it up. I'll still play it on PS3 like I did the previous ones, which basically means I play the story modes until I finish and then never touch it again.

That seems a tad bit hyperbolic. But different strokes, I guess.

strobogo

Banned
Every reason to feel pessimistic when they use Kid Rock in 2014 to sell the game.

Kid Rock.

In 2014.

iujICVelXfxkt.gif

Watched it already. I've watched all the stuff that's out about the game. Nothing in there that causes me to say they "shit the bed". Does it look amazing? Absolutely not. Does it look like it'd be fun to someone who typically has fun with these games while acknowledging their flaws? Absolutely. And I fall into that category.

Floating weapons, teleporting animations, freezing glitches during replays, weapons that don't connect to the opponent's body, weapons that don't have any weight to them, graphics that look like a PS3 game on PS4, and reused animations from the previous gen versions is not considered shitting the bed? I guess we just have different standards.

Floating weapons, teleporting animations, freezing glitches during replays, weapons that don't connect to the opponent's body, weapons that don't have any weight to them, graphics that look like a PS3 game on PS4, and reused animations from the previous gen versions is not considered shitting the bed? I guess we just have different standards.

Floating weapons have never happened to me in the series. Not once. So they don't bother me specifically. And also that Gamescom build was an old build, so it's possible that is smoothed out. Even if so, like I said, I haven't had that particular issue, so it doesn't affect my enjoyment.

Teleporting animations suck, so yeah.

Weapons have looked and played fine to me.

Graphics absolutely aren't PS3 level. "Graphics" meaning everything, not just IQ. Lighting, crowd, resolution, framerate, animations and IQ together are not PS3 level. And again, even if they were, it does not affect my enjoyment.

Reused animations happen in almost every sports game because a year development cycle doesn't allow time to completely rewrite every single animation. I have faith that the longer 2K spends with the series, the more new animations will replace old ones. Hell, you can already see some of that in the videos that have come out. Rome wasn't built in a day.

So, yeah, we have different standards I guess, because I disagree with almost everything you said. And the things I did agree with don't affect the gameplay enough for me not to have an enjoyable experience while playing the game. Like I said, series is by no means perfect, but at the end of the day I play games for fun and if a game is fun, I can overlook quite a bit.

strobogo

Banned
Floating weapons have never happened to me in the series. Not once. So they don't bother me specifically. And also that Gamescom build was an old build, so it's possible that is smoothed out. Even if so, like I said, I haven't had that particular issue, so it doesn't affect my enjoyment.

Graphics absolutely aren't PS3 level. "Graphics" meaning everything, not just IQ. Lighting, crowd, resolution, framerate, animations and IQ together are not PS3 level. And again, even if they were, it does not affect my enjoyment.

Reused animations happen in almost every sports game because a year development cycle doesn't allow time to completely rewrite every single animation. I have faith that the longer 2K spends with the series, the more new animations will replace old ones. Hell, you can already see some of that in the videos that have come out. Rome wasn't built in a day.

So, yeah, we have different standards I guess, because I disagree with almost everything you said. And the things I did agree with don't affect the gameplay enough for me not to have an enjoyable experience while playing the game.

You don't see that at all in the videos that come out. The only new move shown was Roman's apron dropkick, one of Rusev's moves and one of Bray's moves. Everything else is old animations. Same generic Hogan leg drop. Same AA. Same Lionsault. Same pedigree. I'm willing to bet that most of the "5K" new animations are entrances and taunts. The only new animations are going to be moves of dudes who have never been in the game before.

So, yeah, we have different standards I guess, because I disagree with almost everything you said. And the things I did agree with don't affect the gameplay enough for me not to have an enjoyable experience while playing the game. Like I said, series is by no means perfect, but at the end of the day I play games for fun and if a game is fun, I can overlook quite a bit.

This is PS3 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmIsMvRY5OA

Other than maybe some lighting and higher resolution this looks just as good and in some places better. Fight Night doesn't have painted on clothes, better crowds, and better animations and it's a PS3 game. I don't know how you can say weapons feel ok when they have absolutely no weight behind them. It isn't satisfying to hit someone with a chair.

You don't see that at all in the videos that come out. The only new move shown was Roman's apron dropkick, one of Rusev's moves and one of Bray's moves. Everything else is old animations. Same generic Hogan leg drop. Same AA. Same Lionsault. Same pedigree. I'm willing to bet that most of the "5K" new animations are entrances and taunts. The only new animations are going to be moves of dudes who have never been in the game before.

I'm talking more about the smaller stuff. The holding onto the ropes as you get up. The Cesaro rubbing the ropes before the match starts. The crawling into the cover with low stamina. Stuff like that. I've made the argument before that WWE games are by far the toughest games to make that are on a year-long dev cycle. The number of variables and possible animations that need to exist while also keeping stable with up to six active AI on-screen at one time plus a ref is insane. And that's just getting the base game to work on a basic level, not taking into account crafting all the models and creating all the modes and features. It seems like a miracle they get a game out every year at all. I really wish each game had a two-year dev cycle, as I think that would greatly increase the quality.

Other than maybe some lighting and higher resolution this looks just as good and in some places better. Fight Night doesn't have painted on clothes, better crowds, and better animations and it's a PS3 game. I don't know how you can say weapons feel ok when they have absolutely no weight behind them. It isn't satisfying to hit someone with a chair.

Look at my response to Stro. Fight Night renders two guys and a ref and the crowd. There is only one AI and very limited animation due to the fact the fighting is all punches and the occasional grab. The amount of under the hood stuff a Fight Night game has to do and account for is orders of magnitude smaller than a WWE game. All of those things take power. Power that is also used to render graphics.

Mobile Suit Gooch

Same shitty super kicks. The Diamond Cutter looks like crap back in 2k14 compared to the one in Shut your mouth.

Fight Night is such a terrible example. The game isn't built to handle six people in the ring or, on top of that, all the different match types that take up processing power as well. I'm sure Fight Night would turn into a slide show with six guys fighting in the ring during an inferno match.

Just because both games have a ring doesn't mean they are at all comparable.

I'm sure they could up the graphical fidelity but it would come at a loss. The best comparable is still TNA Impact. It's better grahically (that Booker T meme is bullshit though) but lacks in a lot of content. I don't think that's what people want.

Graphics aren't my first concern with the WWE games anyways. People still play No Mercy and Fire Pro just fine. We just need a solid wrestling engine. Better QA and less glitches as well.

Top Bottom