• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE 2K16 |OT| 3:16 is not the metacritic score

RhyDin

kXLoytG.gif

I lol'd, but I feel like the majority of people that buy these games are like "XD look at him spin upside down" and they justify how bad these games are with hearty laughs gotten from the same glitches every year. Metacritic still has an overall positive user score, so people that bought this are just eating it up, I guess. Even from the early pages of this topic, people seem to enjoy it, but I guess it's like you guys said - there just aren't any other alternatives to wrestling games right now.

These are probably the same people that still chant "What?" on RAW every week and also likely why we can't have nice things (in the form of an unbroken game).

Do they just not have enough time to develop these games every year? It seems like they're content with broken mechanics because people still buy it - all they have to do is hire a bunch of animators to crank out some movesets and competent graphics designers to add in some more polygons and presto, new game, same old broken gameplay and online servers.

I lol'd, but I feel like the majority of people that buy these games are like "XD look at him spin upside down" and they justify how bad these games are with hearty laughs gotten from the same glitches every year. Metacritic still has an overall positive user score, so people that bought this are just eating it up, I guess. Even from the early pages of this topic, people seem to enjoy it, but I guess it's like you guys said - there just aren't any other alternatives to wrestling games right now.

These are probably the same people that still chant "What?" on RAW every week and also likely why we can't have nice things (in the form of an unbroken game).

Do they just not have enough time to develop these games every year? It seems like they're content with broken mechanics because people still buy it - all they have to do is hire a bunch of animators to crank out some movesets and competent graphics designers to add in some more polygons and presto, new game, same old broken gameplay and online servers.

Unfortunately nothing will change as long as people keep buying the game.

On the bright side I have started communication with SynSophia(AKI) about creating a new wrestling game with kickstarter and they will get back to me within 5 days.

I'm really having fun with this. I skipped last year's game after playing 13&14 the previous years, but the core gameplay here feels decent enough that I can actually enjoy just having one on one 'normal' exhibition matches whereas games like WWE13 had the cool Attitude Era mode but I couldn't really enjoy it in terms of having good back and forth exhibition matches.

It's not perfect or even that close to it but I haven't enjoyed a WWE wrestling game this much in at least a few years. I haven't experienced many glitches or weird AI behaviour so far myself which is nice, it feels quite smooth and fluid for the most part.

After No Mercy/WM2000, HCTP, SvR2006, this is probably the most fun I've had with a WWE game. Maybe SvR 2010 would be up there too as I remember that being pretty decent.

The new pin system is okay with me, still miss mashing buttons, but my god the submission system is absolute garbage. Also is it just me or does the computer just reverse almost everything?

Hasney

The new pin system is okay with me, still miss mashing buttons, but my god the submission system is absolute garbage. Also is it just me or does the computer just reverse almost everything?

They've got limited reversals. Make them waste it on stomps on the floor.

DryvBy

I haven't written a legit review in a long time. I used to write every time I finished a game but I stopped late last year. I think I want to actually review this. My initial reactions are positive. I liked 2K14. It's not as good as the old stuff we played on the N64. But there were things that sucked with those games too. They're better games, but they weren't perfect either.

One of my favorite things in wrestling games is making characters and 2K16 lets you mold ridiculous types of characters. The presentation is nice. The nostalgia works to a degree. And the overall gameplay isn't horrible.

Aside from the glitches (which I dunno why they can't fix some of these stupid things), it's just not that bad of an overall package. It's fun, which is the main reason I play games. Graphics aren't horrible and the load times aren't that bad. I'd say the only thing I wish they'd patch into oblivion is the submission system. I'd rather button mash like I always have in wrestling games.

NJD316

Neo Member
Ok I am going to get this game because of that roster, but I'll wait till the price comes down and the championship match stuff in Universe mode gets patched (if ever).

Having Shane O' Mac has my world champion is too much of a draw.

Cairnsay

Banned
Help me out guys, I am really on the fence with this game. The My Career mode, and sheer wealth of cool stuff to unlock (arenas, titles, old school wrestlers) and mess about with has me really interested. It just sounds like there's still some issues with the gameplay. The last WWE game I bought was WWE 13, which I really liked.

I am in the UK, so according to Amazon I have ~7 hours to decide if I want to have it on release day.

Help me out guys, I am really on the fence with this game. The My Career mode, and sheer wealth of cool stuff to unlock (arenas, titles, old school wrestlers) and mess about with has me really interested. It just sounds like there's still some issues with the gameplay. The last WWE game I bought was WWE 13, which I really liked.

I am in the UK, so according to Amazon I have ~7 hours to decide if I want to have it on release day.

The pace is slower than WWE 13, which some people hate, but I love. I prefer 2k16 in every way possible to 13 and I really liked both WWE 13 and 2k14.

GravyButt

Is there a slider for how quickly you gain reversals? I honestly keep forgetting to check. Id like to make user reversals gain slower if possible.

stn

If you edit an existing wrestler's attire, does it save over a CAW slot? Is the customization good? Is the CAW stuff good?

DryvBy

If you edit an existing wrestler's attire, does it save over a CAW slot? Is the customization good? Is the CAW stuff good?

I can't answer your first question, but the overall customization is great imo. That's probably the stronger points. I've seen some incredible CAW stuff so far.

Hasney

Pretty sure it still takes a CAW slot, but at least there's 100 now. Be warned though, alternate attires at the moment cause the celebration scenes at the end of a match to be invisible.

CAW is better than last year, they've allowed a lot of morphing so not everyone needs to be human looking anymore. Still lacking compared to last gen though. The texture upload apparently works much better too, so the overall level of creations should be higher.

dubq

So we can change all of Stardust's colours in edit mode.. but we can't change the colour of his facepaint? smh...

(unless I'm not seeing the option for it)

So we can change all of Stardust's colours in edit mode.. but we can't change the colour of his facepaint? smh...

(unless I'm not seeing the option for it)

Usually with the superstar edits you can't adjust their head.

Though I swear I saw someone who did it over on the 2k forums. Might have been an entirely new CAW though.

What the hell!

The game play and controls of this game are so confusing?! It took me like 5-6 tries to beat the tutorial fight. I went in expecting arcade-ish controls, but this is a complete nightmare.

In my limited game time, It felt like it didn't matter at all who you selected; they all do the same moves, and the game-play is all about watching until the little reverse icon appears so you can pull a reversal and hurt the other guy.

I can't figure out the weird blue/red system AT ALL. I'm gonna have to youtube it..

There is no need to even strike the other guy. Just wait for him make an attack, and just press R2 at the right moment. Thats it.

I just wanted to pick-up a fun button mashers to play with non-gaming friends, but theres no way they will even enjoy this.

I'm going to have to bust out Pro-Wrestling NES again.

DryvBy

What the hell!

The game play and controls of this game are so confusing?! It took me like 5-6 tries to beat the tutorial fight. I went in expecting arcade-ish controls, but this is a complete nightmare.

In my limited game time, It felt like it didn't matter at all who you selected; they all do the same moves, and the game-play is all about watching until the little reverse icon appears so you can pull a reversal and hurt the other guy.

I can't figure out the weird blue/red system AT ALL. I'm gonna have to youtube it..

There is no need to even strike the other guy. Just wait for him make an attack, and just press R2 at the right moment. Thats it.

I just wanted to pick-up a fun button mashers to play with non-gaming friends, but theres no way they will even enjoy this.

Good luck online trying to just do reversals. You're not going to get very far.

I don't understand some of those features either but punching does matter. Just keep at it or watch some YouTube stuff. The submission stuff is the only complaint I have at the moment.

shanafan

What the hell!

The 2K games are not button mashers. If you want a more over-the-top experience, arcade-like feel, check WWE All-Stars.

What the hell!

Should have done more research. This game isn't arcade.

2k really needs to give the arcade market something. An arcade style game released around Wrestlemania every year would make them a lot of money.

djblue89

Any reason why SharePlay does not work? It says that the game is not out? Maybe need to wait for the release in all the countries before they unblock it ?

Would it be the end of the world if they just revered to the Here Comes The Pain-era controls?

That's honestly the last time I enjoyed the series. Sure, it was no AKI engine, but it was a lot of goddamned fun.

I feel like I'd be able to accept wonky physics and questionable graphics if the gameplay were as fun as it was 13 years ago.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm really enjoying the game. Hope they sort out the universe mode title defences soon.

atomsk

Party Pooper
I've got a friend who really wanted his CAW to have the Rosebuds entrance... but as far as I can tell there is no way to actually use them, only the solo Adam Rose entrance.

I don't expect much competence out of Yukes/2K, but fucking c'mon.

DryvBy

Any reason why SharePlay does not work? It says that the game is not out? Maybe need to wait for the release in all the countries before they unblock it ?

I streamed my initial play through just fine. Restart it and try again maybe?

Hasney

Is that supposed to be the ending of their match from Over The Edge '98 where Undertaker was in Austin's corner against McMahon, Patterson and Briscoe? If so, then Yukes didn't even come close to replicating what happened in that match. That looks so half-assed.

Honestly, the whole mode is half arsed. You'd at least expect all his Wrestlemania matches (but no, Scott Hall is DLC!) and not skipping things like his Booker T feud, or Survivor Series '98, but here we are.

Hasney

OK, there's issues with a bunch of moves hurting the wrong body part. Apparently, limb targeting stomp to arm hurts the head.

Demoskinos

Oh boy just got to the WMXIV fight. I wonder to myself how are they going to do this without Tyson's likeness? "The Enforcer" lmao yep sure.

The Ummah

Banned
Honestly, the whole mode is half arsed. You'd at least expect all his Wrestlemania matches (but no, Scott Hall is DLC!) and not skipping things like his Booker T feud, or Survivor Series '98, but here we are.

Ugh. It would be great to play the supermarket brawl, but it would've ended up being one long QuickTime event.

Demoskinos

Just tried that face thing...that did not go well. My photo was all squished after upload for whatever reason so It wouldn't properly align.

Oh boy just got to the WMXIV fight. I wonder to myself how are they going to do this without Tyson's likeness? "The Enforcer" lmao yep sure.

WM13 is strange too. During the actual part of the game you play, Ross goes on and on about "our guest" which is clearly Ken Shamrock. But in the gameplay cinematic parts, he's directly referred to as Ken Shamrock.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
This game is fucking horrible.
I just rented this game from redbox and I want my money back
I'm having trouble beating bret heat by doing the challenges because I have to do them to find the other challenges? Just tell me what they all are and not one by one

and the reversal thing is off or just me? =/
Unfortunately nothing will change as long as people keep buying the game.

On the bright side I have started communication with SynSophia(AKI) about creating a new wrestling game with kickstarter and they will get back to me within 5 days.

seor-gif-shut-up-and-take-my-money.gif

---

I'm finding the submission so much easier now. Previous entries I always lost to submissions, could never win with 'em. I've gotten out of every submission and won every time with a submission finisher.

To each their own, I guess. I'm LOVING the gameplay.

Top Bottom