• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 |OT| Never stop believing PG style

man I just bought Day of Reckoning 2 over xmas break, since I had ignored it back when it came out, and HOLY SHIT. WHY DIDNT THEY USE THIS ENGINE!!??! It really really is the closest to a "new no mercy" as far as control and general gameplay is concerned (even down to the spirit meters going from red to dark blue). WTF it seems light years ahead of smackdown (even today) in a good PLAYING wrestling game engine.

god it just makes me even madder with what were given nowadays :lol

seriously if u have a wii and liked no mercy / aki games, DOR 2 is as close as youre gonna get to them.

Gravijah

ZombieSupaStar said:
man I just bought Day of Reckoning 2 over xmas break, since I had ignored it back when it came out, and HOLY SHIT. WHY DIDNT THEY USE THIS ENGINE!!! It really really is the closest to a "new no mercy" as far as control and general gameplay is concerned (even down to the spirit meters going from red to dark blue). WTF it seems light years ahead of smackdown (even today) in a good PLAYING wrestling game engine.

god it just makes me even madder with what were given nowadays :lol

I came in here to find out how the new Smackdown is and this is the first post I read. Welp! :lol

Day of Reckoning 1/2 weren't bad but there was some real jank ass things about those games.
From what I remember the Create modes blew and took forever to load.

Back to this piece of shit SvR 2011; jesus are the tag matches unbearable. AI is insanely dumb.

Buckethead said:
Day of Reckoning 1/2 weren't bad but there was some real jank ass things about those games.
From what I remember the Create modes blew and took forever to load.

Back to this piece of shit SvR 2011; jesus are the tag matches unbearable. AI is insanely dumb.

yeah, but still, id rather play this than that new crap

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-H3c_hrbwIY (that hbk intro is so damn authentic its facepalmingly hilarious)

unless next year they give the moves themselves havoc physics then we should have all sorts of WTF moments and I will just have to get it.

Sorry for the massive bump, but now that the dlc is out is it worth picking up the game again?

I sold it about 2 months after I got it, but if the dlc is good I might grab it again.

JdFoX187

Banned
I quit playing because of the exploiters online and how it's impossible to have a quality match with grapples unless someone actually lets you do it, when then takes the whole fun out of it. If I were you, I'd look into All Stars. That looks like a competent, and enjoyable, wrestling game.

JdFoX187 said:
I quit playing because of the exploiters online and how it's impossible to have a quality match with grapples unless someone actually lets you do it, when then takes the whole fun out of it. If I were you, I'd look into All Stars. That looks like a competent, and enjoyable, wrestling game.
Thanks. I actually have All Stars on pre-order, but playing the demo for that made me want to grab this one again. Then again there was a reason I traded it in in the first place.

RyanCE

Banned
All Stars is REALLY overrated and nowhere near the level of even SmackDown. All the No Mercy comparisons make me throw up in my mouth.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Is there any other franchise out there that has been using the same graphics engine as long as Smackdown has?

Same engine period, not just graphics. The engine they're using has roots that go back to SMACKDOWN 1 ON THE PLAYSTATION.

RBH

platinumdragon7 said:
Don't think so. That game is so not on Smackdown's level
RyanCE said:
All Stars is REALLY overrated and nowhere near the level of even SmackDown. All the No Mercy comparisons make me throw up in my mouth.
So do you guys actually enjoy the gameplay in the Smackdown vs. Raw series?

I don't really care how you feel about All Stars, but I'm just curious to learn about the mindset of the people that are still buying these Smackdown vs. Raw games these days.

snackman

Banned
The last great WWE game was 2006 it sucks for wrestling fans as we dont even get one All Pro Football or Fire Pro. But at least my Dreamcast works hahaha.

JdFoX187

Banned
snackman said:
The last great WWE game was 2006 it sucks for wrestling fans as we dont even get one All Pro Football or Fire Pro. But at least my Dreamcast works hahaha.
SvR '10 was good if they would have just removed some of the exploitable moves like the striking spear. But they ddi all that and then proceeded to nerf the grapples to the point where they're useless in '11.

All Stars is a breath of fresh air, which is kind of funny considering it's the same exact game as TNA iMPACT with over-the-top moves and characters. Everyone praising it should have bought that game way back when.

RyanCE

Banned
RBH said:
So do you guys actually enjoy the gameplay in the Smackdown vs. Raw series?

I don't really care how you feel about All Stars, but I'm just curious to learn about the mindset of the people that are still buying these Smackdown vs. Raw games these days.
The "smackdown sux!1" argument really hasn't been valid for a year or two now, and this is coming from someone who loves Fire Pro, King of Colosseum, Day of Reckoning, and runs a forum dedicated to the AKI games. The series improved continuously up until HCTP, took a slight nosedive with SvR and SvR06 (winner for most overrated SD), and began to drop significantly with '07 and '08. The series has made tremendous improvements since then. SmackDown vs. Raw 2011 is a pretty good wrestling game, not just a pretty good SD game.

RBH

RyanCE said:
The "smackdown sux!1" argument really hasn't been valid for a year or two now, and this is coming from someone who loves Fire Pro, King of Colosseum, Day of Reckoning, and runs a forum dedicated to the AKI games. The series improved continuously up until HCTP, took a slight nosedive with SvR and SvR06 (winner for most overrated SD), and began to drop significantly with '07 and '08. The series has made tremendous improvements since then. SmackDown vs. Raw 2011 is a pretty good wrestling game, not just a pretty good SD game.
So in what ways, exactly?

In the past five or so years, I've played Smackdown vs. Raw '06, '07, 2010, and 2011, and the same problems that have plagued the series for years are still prevalent, including canned animations, clunky controls, below average collision detection, and the lack of a physics system for interrupting moves. Yukes tries to make small gameplay modifications year-by-year (such as the removal of the strong grapple modifier in the most recent game), but it's still the same damn core engine.

Things like the CAW mode, the story editor, and the recent WWE Universe mode (the things that surround the actual gameplay) are great features, but they ultimately mean little when the gameplay engine itself is so outdated and just not that fun to play with.

There's a reason why this series is becoming less and less popular over the years (as seen by its dwindling sales numbers, including a 35% drop in shipments for 2011 in comparison to 2010), and that's going to continue unless Yukes/THQ implements a massive overhaul for this series.

YoungHav

Banned
To me the peak of the series has been Smackdown 2006. I purchased this but the last one I bought was 06 for PS2. The only reason I bought this was a $17 sale at Walmart, trophies, and the fact that you can edit downloadable CAWs.

This series is a reflection of the fact the WWF has no real competition. Everytime Yukes does something right, they regress and take something away that I love. The AI has always been laughable, and the licensing is a joke. I mean there is about 20 slots reserved for DLC characters, yet they've only released about 8 and it looks like they will stop supporting the game after the recent DLC pack # 3. Online connection issues are a joke... I dunno why they got rid of Create a PPV. I loved that about Smackdown 06. I would create time period specific PPVs, WCW, ECW, WWF attitude era, WWF current stuff etc... Play the ppvs, tweak them based on "fan feedback/approval" etc... I also had a major problem with moves and movesets being removed (no Hogan running leg drop wtf?) I wonder wtf goes through Yukes' head when they remove shit from the series.

BoltzmannBrain

Neo Member
Gonna get myself a Smackdown game for 360, but not sure which one. The downloading of other people's CAWs is a massively appealing feature of the newest ones, are the servers for Smackdown 2010 still functioning in this respect? If so I'll almost certainly get that, sounds like it has a better story mode and 2011's Universe mode is a bit of a let down.

If the above answer is no and I do have to get 2011, is the online pass required to access CAWs?
Cheers guys.

JdFoX187

Banned
SvR '10 has been the best in the series in a long, long time. SvR '11 was a travesty in that regard. And yes, you have to have an online pass to do anything online in '11. Get '10 if you can.

BoltzmannBrain

Neo Member
'10 has not really fulfilled my expectations. The weapons disappearing constantly is quite pathetic for a new game, and it's just such a boring and sterile experience. There's actually been zero gameplay improvements since the last one I played (2007).

With that in mind I've ordered 2011, the weapons physics and Universe mode are at least something new and potentially exciting. Less moves / simpler controls doesn't bother me at all, the game is just about simple thrills and local multiplayer. The physics bugs look hilarious also.

Just checked out a couple of the videos in the OP, having not played a SD game in about 5 years, and only really having spent a decent amount of time on the first two (which I played to death), and I am honestly stunned at how little it appears to series has progressed.

Such a shame.

BoltzmannBrain said:
'10 has not really fulfilled my expectations. The weapons disappearing constantly is quite pathetic for a new game, and it's just such a boring and sterile experience. There's actually been zero gameplay improvements since the last one I played (2007).

With that in mind I've ordered 2011, the weapons physics and Universe mode are at least something new and potentially exciting. Less moves / simpler controls doesn't bother me at all, the game is just about simple thrills and local multiplayer. The physics bugs look hilarious also.
I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but if you didn't care for 2010 than 2011 isn't going to do much to change your mind.
The new weapon physics can be humouous though and it does make TLC matches much more enjoyable, even more so when you no doubt encounter one of the many glitches (Teleporting Ted DiBiase will always be my favourite, he simply warped from being next to the ladder to being at the top grabbing the briefcase and he won!)

The series is the master of one step forward and two steps back, any improvements are soon crushed under the weight of numerous failings (why can't I target manually?! no end of headaches from this). Building on top of a decade old game engine really doesn't help either.

BoltzmannBrain

Neo Member
Oh don't worry I've read all the reviews (and this thread), it's a game with a lot of problems, and the gameplay will be the same as '10 mostly. But, at least the weapons physics is sort of next gen (and the hell in a cell isn't pathetically small).

TheApatheticOne said:
So, just getting back into wrestling. If Im getting this to play against another human opponent, is it worth it?

Are you talking online against randoms or someone you know? Because playing against randoms is just as hopeless as ever.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Are you talking online against randoms or someone you know? Because playing against randoms is just as hopeless as ever.

Oh, Im talking couch co-op against friends who will play in the correct spirit of the game.

JdFoX187

Banned
BoltzmannBrain said:
Oh don't worry I've read all the reviews (and this thread), it's a game with a lot of problems, and the gameplay will be the same as '10 mostly. But, at least the weapons physics is sort of next gen (and the hell in a cell isn't pathetically small).
Actually, the hell in a cell is smaller in the new one. There's also the fact you won't be able to do any grapples whatsoever. If you want a game where you just spam punches and hit people with weapons, go ahead and get '11. But if you want anything resembling a competent wrestling game, it's going to be the hardest failing of the series since '08.

As far as the weapons physics goes, they're still absolutely terrible and you won't get 90 percent of those spots to work. Don't even know how Brock Lesnar got up onto the announcing table, because you can't do that in the final game that I'm aware of, and I logged hundreds of matches online before selling the piece of shit.

Hopefully '12 is better since there are rumors of moving to a new engine.

BoltzmannBrain

Neo Member
JdFoX187 said:
Actually, the hell in a cell is smaller in the new one. There's also the fact you won't be able to do any grapples whatsoever. If you want a game where you just spam punches and hit people with weapons, go ahead and get '11. But if you want anything resembling a competent wrestling game, it's going to be the hardest failing of the series since '08.

As far as the weapons physics goes, they're still absolutely terrible and you won't get 90 percent of those spots to work. Don't even know how Brock Lesnar got up onto the announcing table, because you can't do that in the final game that I'm aware of, and I logged hundreds of matches online before selling the piece of shit.

Hopefully '12 is better since there are rumors of moving to a new engine.
Smackdown 11 HIAC : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztbCCj0-xE8
Smackdown 10 HIAC : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOwgCjvqUag&feature=related
Loads more room in 11.

Am not after a wrestling sim so your complaints there don't worry me. Infact less controls = more noob friendly for drunk local multiplayer.
I appreciate opinions but we're clearly looking for different things out of the game. Will post my impressions when it arrives.

BoltzmannBrain

Neo Member
blurrygil said:
Man, that's some awesome work there. Don't care if it's all preset...it's cool as f**k.

Wish I could have real time game situtations come out like that. :'(
It's a wicked video, my favourite is probably the most simple one. The recreation of that Mankind / Undertaker HIAC moment.

So I've ended up buying 2 wrestling games in 2 months after a 5 year break. Honestly? I prefer All Stars..

There's so much good stuff in SvR but it's so poorly implemented that it stops being fun after a while...

I don't like the momentum system. SvR's idea of momentum is nothing like the ebb and flow of a 'real' wrestling match and, for a purported wrestling sim, it does nothing to emulate how a match is worked. Also, what happened to the location based damage from HCTP? That seemed to work quite well.

Royal Rumbles really piss me off. I miss how fun and random they just to be. Now it's just 'xxxxxxx yyyyyyyyy bbbbbb oh I'm out'. Yes, the older versions were a little random, but that was the fun of it all. If you went out, you just went 'okay, I'll wait for someone good to come in'. Then Stone Cold would come out and you'd go 'sheeeeeeeeit', mark out and clear house whilst his music was still playing. You can't do that any more and it sucks.

The commentary is fucking awful. What is the point of giving me the option to give my finisher a commentary name if Cole just says 'backfire' in the most mundane way possible? I want 'ma gawd ma gawd backfire oh hell he just broke his damn back' etc, etc. If not that, at least give it a little damn emphasis..

All Stars feels so heavy compared to SvR; your moves have impact (I'm not talking about the super moves) and it just feels like you can actually work your opponent a little bit. The reversal system is pretty cool and the class system works pretty well. It's biggest problem is that it's threadbare. Singles, tag, cage, handicap, triple threat, fatal four-way, hardcore and elimination is all you get (as well as the arcade mode, which needed more cutscenes for me, personally). It's a good thing that the core game is so fun.

Bah, regardless, I've still played both of them a shit load for different reasons. Basically, the mainline game needs to take a few pointers from All Stars, and vice versa. I'm banking on All Stars 2 being the one that gets it right (who am I kidding, they'll probably let it stagnate too).

JdFoX187

Banned
BoltzmannBrain said:
Smackdown 11 HIAC : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztbCCj0-xE8
Smackdown 10 HIAC : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOwgCjvqUag&feature=related
Loads more room in 11.

Am not after a wrestling sim so your complaints there don't worry me. Infact less controls = more noob friendly for drunk local multiplayer.
I appreciate opinions but we're clearly looking for different things out of the game. Will post my impressions when it arrives.
As someone who's played extensively in both, there is a little more area on the outside of the ring inside the cage to maneuver, but the whole is more constrained. But I am curious to read your impressions. Once the novelty of seeing the weapons physics glitch out has warn off, I think you'll hate it.

BoltzmannBrain

Neo Member
Loving 2011, can't be arsed to get into a debate about why, but it's a lot more fun for me than 2010.

The backstage stuff in the RTWM mode is actually quite good I think, it adds structure to the proceedings. In 2010 everything felt so disjointed. As long as you are using a guide to only do the necessary things for unlocks it isn't a chore, would be completely shit without gamefaqs though.

Also, the weapon stuff may only be a simple poorly implemented feature, but it shouldn't be underestimated just how much fun it adds for the casual player.

Universe mode is excellent, it reminds me a bit of Smackdown 1's season mode in a couple of ways:
A) the AI match choices are completely random and shit
B) it's so bloody quick to do things and skip matches etc.

Dunno about anyone else but I've had some great nights in on Smackdown 1 season mode with mates, and Universe is set up so openly that you can essentially do all the same things here.

Great game, would recommend.

Sorry to bump this thread, but the Smackdown cycle begins again on Tuesday.

Greg Miller has apparently seen the game and they will unveil it on IGN (maybe other sites) on May 31.

There have been rumblings that it won't be called Smackdown vs Raw 2012 this year.

THQ has also been posting secret messages that basically say 'change is coming'.

I'm staying cautiously optimistic.

canadian crowe said:
Sorry to bump this thread, but the Smackdown cycle begins again on Tuesday.

Greg Miller has apparently seen the game and they will unveil it on IGN (maybe other sites) on May 31.

There have been rumblings that it won't be called Smackdown vs Raw 2012 this year.

THQ has also been posting secret messages that basically say 'change is coming'.

I'm staying cautiously optimistic.
I was wondering what was taking so long, THQ don't usually take this long to unveil the games right? well hopefully change is coming in the form of a new gameplay engine that is derived from No Mercy/Day of Reckoning.

Nocturnowl said:
I was wondering what was taking so long, THQ don't usually take this long to unveil the games right? well hopefully change is coming in the form of a new gameplay engine that is derived from No Mercy/Day of Reckoning.

Usually they reveal them at Wrestlemania. Now that they have two games a year, they spread them out.

There will be a reveal at E3, with 4 wrestlers.

I'm thinking they might have changed the engine this year, but I don't want to get my hopes up.

They were also tweeting that the roster is their best one yet, and there are cool legends this year. I think Diesel will be in for sure.

canadian crowe said:
They were also tweeting that the roster is their best one yet, and there are cool legends this year. I think Diesel will be in for sure.

Every year they say it's their best roster yet but we get crap like Vance Archer.

Since the series is a yearly release and they barely do any change between them I'm not expecting something amazing.

JdFoX187

Banned
Actually, the past couple of years they've announced the game is coming, perhaps with a teaser video and then wait until around Summerslam to fully unveil it. I remember reading somewhere last year here '11 was the last year they were using that shitty engine. So hopefully it's been revamped. The way they absolutely neutered the grappling this year was unacceptable.

daycru

HarryDemeanor said:
Every year they say it's their best roster yet but we get crap like Vance Archer.

Since the series is a yearly release and they barely do any change between them I'm not expecting something amazing.
I'd absolutely love it if one year they just went "Eh, it's not great this year. Maybe next time."

I hope to gawd change is coming.

I don't care if they address all my gripes (small HIAC, poor location specific grappling/strikes, etc. etc.) I have absolutely no interest in playing another Smackdown game.

JdFoX187 said:
Actually, the past couple of years they've announced the game is coming, perhaps with a teaser video and then wait until around Summerslam to fully unveil it. I remember reading somewhere last year here '11 was the last year they were using that shitty engine. So hopefully it's been revamped. The way they absolutely neutered the grappling this year was unacceptable.

Yeah, last year the devs were saying that it was the current engine's 'swan song'.

The engine isn't even the main problem. Here Comes The Pain is the best Smackdown because of the way the wrestlers took damage, the weight detection, and the number of moves. They took all of that away.

Top Bottom