• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 |OT| Never stop believing PG style

Axiom

It's weird how watching the gameplay makes me less interested. I'm so much more interested in the presentation and the way it goes into storytelling.

Maybe I'll just break out my old copy of EWR

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
BigBlackGamer said:
this game is straight garbage. probably the worst smackdown this gen. I usually have a high tolerance for smackdown games but man. Shitty outdated rosters, taking AWAY moves from the control scheme, every wrestler has the same suplex and doesn't feel unique, locking out over half the roster, AI is still shitty and there idea of Legend difficulty is now AI reverses every grapple and strike and some other complaints.

It's bad and you will encounter weird glitching. They need to nuke this franchise and start over. IT'S ESSENTIALLY STILL THE PS1 ENGINE FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Also a super fucked thing is that tag teams can't come out together if they are the champs. Apparently the game can't handle 4 belts on screen. :lol

I'll have a First Look of it tomorrow but fuck man. These games are straight robbing people for there money with the WWE license.
I watched your 2 hour stream archive and lol'd thouroughly when Edge made a run-in, beat up your partner for a long ass time, then you hit him once and got DQ'd. :lol Also when HBK was pinning CM Punk for about 45 seconds but nothing happened since the ref was distracted.

I thought 2010 was a decent rental, but after watching all that...this just looks shitty.

JdFoX187

Banned
Buckethead said:
Do they still have the interactive menu screen thing?

Coolest thing they've done in years, so no doubt they took it out.
If you mean the training ring like in the last game, yeah they do.

ElNarez

Banned
BigBlackGamer said:
this game is straight garbage. probably the worst smackdown this gen. I usually have a high tolerance for smackdown games but man. Shitty outdated rosters, taking AWAY moves from the control scheme, every wrestler has the same suplex and doesn't feel unique, locking out over half the roster, AI is still shitty and there idea of Legend difficulty is now AI reverses every grapple and strike and some other complaints.

It's bad and you will encounter weird glitching. They need to nuke this franchise and start over. IT'S ESSENTIALLY STILL THE PS1 ENGINE FOR FUCKS SAKE.

Also a super fucked thing is that tag teams can't come out together if they are the champs. Apparently the game can't handle 4 belts on screen. :lol

I'll have a First Look of it tomorrow but fuck man. These games are straight robbing people for there money with the WWE license.
On one hand, this.

On the other hand, that.

Ferny

I can't wait for this game now. The online Royal Rumble option just sounds so great. Hopefully they can accomplish this with little or
no lag.

Kccitystar

7xtsq.gif

BARRETT APPROVES.

Played a couple matches. I like it so far. Crank it up to legend and turn stamina on and it gets better. AI is a little better but not much. I like the new grapple system, it feels better than 10.

Graphics on ps3 are blurry and commentary sounds like it was recorded in a tin can.

canadian crowe said:
Played a couple matches. I like it so far. Crank it up to legend and turn stamina on and it gets better. AI is a little better but not much. I like the new grapple system, it feels better than 10.

Graphics on ps3 are blurry and commentary sounds like it was recorded in a tin can.

Doesn't legend turn it into a reversal-fest?

DoctorWho said:
Doesn't legend turn it into a reversal-fest?
Oh yeah, but it's not as bad. I fought Morrison and he beat me down without too many reversals. He did do way too many high flying moves when he could have pinned me though.

Road to wrestlemania plays like a ps1 jrpg. So boring.

canadian crowe said:
Oh yeah, but it's not as bad. I fought Morrison and he beat me down without too many reversals. He did do way too many high flying moves when he could have pinned me though.

Road to wrestlemania plays like a ps1 jrpg. So boring.

Yeah, I had a feeling RtoW wouldn't be as good this year. I had the backstage roaming idea.

WWE Universe looks good though.

DoctorWho said:
Yeah, I had a feeling RtoW wouldn't be as good this year. I had the backstage roaming idea.

WWE Universe looks good though.
I will say it is better than last year. 2010 left me kind of cold. Ive only had the game for a bit so I'm still kind if excited by it so I might be too biased right now.

Edit: I'm an idiot, you push up on the right stick to pick up and it works perfectly. R2 is to drag.

Is there no way to turn off interference? I can't find it in the options anywhere and it's really annoying to have every match interrupted by someone.

JdFoX187

Banned
Just spent two hours making one CAW. This is going to take a while to build up my CAW stable from '10. Nothing of importance on community creations right now, but hopefully that will change over the next couple days.

If anyone on the Xbox 360 wants to play, send me a FR: MasterFox187

JdFoX187 said:
Just spent two hours making one CAW. This is going to take a while to build up my CAW stable from '10. Nothing of importance on community creations right now, but hopefully that will change over the next couple days.

If anyone on the Xbox 360 wants to play, send me a FR: MasterFox187

I've seen a couple good Daniel Bryans so far. One in particular has great attire. Give it a couple days and it should be thriving. I'm on PS3 btw, so the same one won't be there.

Played a couple of matches. Love how everything is integrated into WWE Universe. Really like this concept. Still getting used to the new grapple system though.

Lothars

DoctorWho said:
Played a couple of matches. Love how everything is integrated into WWE Universe. Really like this concept. Still getting used to the new grapple system though.

Yeah I am really looking forward to playing it, I just picked it up today.

Playing a few matches right now and I'm digging it....

Yes, the grapple system is different.. but I like it. I like the touches in universe. Like the feeling of every match matters.

jecclr2003 said:
Playing a few matches right now and I'm digging it....

Yes, the grapple system is different.. but I like it. I like the touches in universe. Like the feeling of every match matters.

I assume the Road to Wrestlemania stuff doesn't affect WWE Universe. Haven't tried it yet.

I like it so far. 360 has a pretty good Razor Ramon CAW already.

Is there an official SvR CAW share site like EA MMA and FN4 have a fighter share website?

Just rented, but didn't get too much of a chance to play.

Why they changed the grappling system is beyond me.
Made it worse on the whole, but I do like a couple additions.

Quick question for anyone with the game and a 360. I don't have Xbox Live Gold and I been told all online features (including Community Creations) are Gold only. Would it be possible to use a friends XBLG account to download something from Community Creations (like a CAW) and transfer / copy it to my Silver GT's save?

JdFoX187

Banned
canadian crowe said:
Just played a cell match. Getting out of the cell feels impossible.
Just finished a match online in HiaC. It took a while, but we finally got the wall broken. Then it was a series of sweet chin musics off the top of the sell for just about everyone involved. All four of us were laying dead on the ground at one point.

I'm really enjoying the new gameplay. Reversing is a little too easy, and the grapples can turn into a reversal fest. But if you have guys who are willing to stick with it, you'll get moves in and it turns into a damn good match. The flow is the best of any game in the series yet.

JohnDoe8865 said:
I like it so far. 360 has a pretty good Razor Ramon CAW already.

Is there an official SvR CAW share site like EA MMA and FN4 have a fighter share website?
http://caws.ws/svr2011/

WWE Universe is one of the best new features to this series...ever. The way all your choices from feuds, to title holders, to brands is integrated makes exhibition mode so much more enjoyable. The random cutscenes always keep thing interesting to, even if they will repeat eventually. Better than nothing.

Gameplay wise, fighting the AI is a lot more fun this year. Just put it on Legend, tone down the reversal slider, and scale down how fast momentum builds to get a better flowing match. They dish out more offense than they have in a LONG time.

So far, the only thing I'm really down on when it comes to gameplay is the lack of wrestler specific moves. Here Comes The Pain had a TON...TON of variations on the same move specifically made for individual wrestlers. Brock felt like Brock, Goldberg felt like Goldberg, Jericho felt like jericho, etc. etc. Everyone except for the ultimate below midcard wrestlers had a very specific moveset.

Christians Road to Wrestlemania is great. I actually think the free roaming backstage stuff hurt it this year. The storylines are much better than current programming.

Also, there is a TINY bit of weight detection this year. Christian strains and moans when he picks up someone like Kane. The move is also slowed down.

I absolutely hate the RTW story mode. It's so boring and the backstage area is terrible. Once you've done one brawl you've done them all. And the area looks like a ps2 game.

I'm not a fan of the new grapple system. I always liked the strong grapple system and didn't want it changed.

The WWE universe mode is the best part of the game. It's similar to HCTP story mode.

They've removed custom soundtracks again which pisses me off. And you can't skip through the main menu songs. :(

The Gringo Killer is in the game. Yay!

JdFoX187

Banned
The lack of ability to skip songs is annoying, but I like hearing McIntyre's theme, so I'll leave that on for the time being. I've just seen a few clips of RtWM online, and it still seems shit like in previous years. I applaud them for at least attempting to fix it, but it's just so bad. At least the storylines are supposedly better.

Played a couple of online matches! I've never liked online wrestling until this game. Elimination Chamber was fun!

How do I turn off commentary?

JdFoX187

Banned
DoctorWho said:
Played a couple of online matches! I've never liked online wrestling until this game. Elimination Chamber was fun!

How do I turn off commentary?
Should be under settings somewhere. I haven't looked yet. Do you have the game for PS3 or 360?

Well this is just great. I'm on week 12 of Rey's storyline and I have a singles match against Evan Bourne. The problem is I'm not allowed to beat Bourne because I have to wait for Swagger to interfere. After 30 minutes the game won't trigger the damn run in so I can't move on and finish this shitty storymode.

dreamfall

Has anyone else tried installing this disc to the HDD (for 360)? I've installed it, but I swear it's just playing the disc rather than using the saved install. Strange- I've got one of those older 360's, and I've been installing games to avoid wear and tear.

dreamfall said:
Has anyone else tried installing this disc to the HDD (for 360)? I've installed it, but I swear it's just playing the disc rather than using the saved install. Strange- I've got one of those older 360's, and I've been installing games to avoid wear and tear.

I didn't notice that yesterday. I'll take a look today.

JdFoX187

Banned
DoctorWho said:
I'm on 360 and I didn't see the option anywhere last night.
I looked earlier and didn't see it either. There's voice volume,which I'm sure is it. But that means no dialogue in RtWM. Oh well, I'll play through those real quick and then turn that down. Commentating is annoying as hell.

Apollo

Banned
I use to buy this game every year but now it's just the same old shit. I also don't like the outdated rosters either and want you to buy the DLC that has the stars that should of been in the game in the first place.

JdFoX187

Banned
Apollo said:
I use to buy this game every year but now it's just the same old shit. I also don't like the outdated rosters either and want you to buy the DLC that has the stars that should of been in the game in the first place.
I hate to be one of those -- but why even bother to come in and post? Also, newsflash: the rosters were always "outdated" in the older games. Simple logic dictates you have to stop adding content at some point and continue developing everything else. This is the most comprehensive roster in an SvR game yet.

daycru

Maybe a dumb question: Let's say I download an AJ Styles CAW from XBL. Could I burn his theme to a disc, rip it to my 360, and use it as his entrance in game?

Lothars

daycru said:
Maybe a dumb question: Let's say I download an AJ Styles CAW from XBL. Could I burn his theme to a disc, rip it to my 360, and use it as his entrance in game?

I believe you could because there's a place for juke box music or something which looks like music you already have on the xbox.

Top Bottom