• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 |OT| Never stop believing PG style

Lothars

Apollo said:
I use to buy this game every year but now it's just the same old shit. I also don't like the outdated rosters either and want you to buy the DLC that has the stars that should of been in the game in the first place.

I don't understand why your complaining about this, It happens because the cutoff is earlier in the year and they can't just keep adding to the roster, it's happened for every game not like it's a new thing either way.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing this a bunch and I am supremely disappointed in this game.

• The inability to turn off interference is ridiculous.
  • The "improved" Hell in a Cell means you can't figure out how to get outside.
  • Reversals in even regular difficulty are too frequent and frustrating.
  • The computer AI is completely broken, so that when they interfere in 100% of your matches, they will undoubtedly stand around in the ring and do nothing for minutes on end.
  • The Road to Wrestlemania mode is boring, buggy and frustrating.
  • I thought that 2010 was a cluster fuck, but 2011 just seemed to compact issues and make them worse.

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

To get out of the cell you just do a finisher on the outside of the ring near a corner of it. You don't have to wear it down or anything.

You've got to turn the reversal sliders down on Normal or above or it's just impossible to do a chain grapple.

Lothars

El_TigroX said:

• The computer AI is completely broken, so that when they interfere in 100% of your matches, they will undoubtedly stand around in the ring and do nothing for minutes on end.
  • I thought that 2010 was a cluster fuck, but 2011 just seemed to compact issues and make them worse.

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

I disagree with you, I don't think it's that bad at all especially with reversals, I am only playing on the default difficulty but haven't had an issue with to many reversals, RTW is pretty good so far and I haven't encountered any bugs but so far this is the best smackdown game to me since Here Comes the Pain.

RBH

I rented this game yesterday.

One thing I'll say so far is that the camera is fucking horrendous when you're walking around backstage in the RTWM mode.

I just played the Wii version. I was Sheamus and the CPU was Triple H. I hit him with 6 finishers and beat him to the point where he could barely stand. He somehow was still able to get the 3 count on me with absolutely no offense at all. I don't know what to say.

I guess he still manages to bury the roster in the virtual world too.

Lothars

BigBlackGamer said:
the fuck? this is probably the worst implementation of smackdown I've seen in a LONG time.

Well we must be playing different games because this is definitely not the worst implementation, I feel that award goes to the original Smackdown vs Raw.

For anyone asking about custom entrance music on Xbox360, here is a quick rundown to save frustration.

Burn to CD-RW
Rip to HDD
Rename the files if they come in as generic Track 1, Track 2, etc. to appropriate title
Save a Playlist with EACH INDIVIDUAL SONG only. Name it so you can remember it (eg. SCSA Heel Run)
When you are in SvR11 Create an Entrance mode, you have the option of User Playlists in the Music area - Go there and pick out the playlist that you just created on your HDD.

El_TigroX said:

Avoid, avoid, avoid.

1. I agree
2. Just do a Sig, or Finisher by the panels on the announcer table side of the Cell. Simple really.
3. Tone down the reversal sliders. I'm playing on Legend with toned down sliders, and the reversals are very manageable.
4. I've only played in a couple of maches but haven't had interference yet. I mostly do CAW vs real wrestler, or CAW vs. CAW so I may just be avoiding this issue completely.
5. RTWM is pretty meh in terms of the backstage free roaming section.
6. SvR2010 is NOT better than 2011 as a whole, I completely disagree.

BigBlackGamer said:
the fuck? this is probably the worst implementation of smackdown I've seen in a LONG time.

I disagree. Editing Community Creations, weapon physics, and most of the WWE Universe mode provide a damn fun time IMO. There are still some very questionable decisions like the RTWM free roam, the move-set being a little smaller, and some options the player isn't allowed to mess with, but overall this is the best since HCTP, or SvR2006.

daycru said:
Maybe a dumb question: Let's say I download an AJ Styles CAW from XBL. Could I burn his theme to a disc, rip it to my 360, and use it as his entrance in game?

Yes you can.

And speaking of AJ. I'm using him for my WWE universe mode. I want him to win the IC title from Ziggler but I can't get him to show up on the contender rankings no matter how many victories I get. How do I get a title match?

The Road to Wrestlemania mode is boring, buggy and frustrating.

It's easily the worst thing about the game. The backstage area looks like a ps2 game. The upgrade system exists for no reason. There aren't any choices besides to brawl. And I hate the fact that I can't lose because it breaks the story.

Buckethead said:
7 day trial doesn't apply to community creations, you suck THQ.

If true that is a huge sack of BS! I was planning on using a trial in the future to get a bunch of CAWs without having to pay $10 for it. This + the XBLG only BS = I prob won't bother getting the game at all.

spindashing said:
What were the reasonings for THQ doing this pay-to-play thing, again? To only lessen the frequency of rented games?

Cut off used game sales. They offer the 7 day trial because of rentals.
THQ - "Buy used? Well screw you, we still getting at least $10 from you if you want online sucka!"

MisterTHQ

THQ Member
Regarding the online axxess, any info you need about this you're best taking a look at the FAQ here.

"Will you offer a 7-day free pass?
Yes, there is a 7-day trial of multiplayer however this does not include the free DLC."

All other questions like this are answered in the above link.

Slightly off topic now but if you're interested we've got a competition up on our blog to win a pair of tickets to the live Monday night RAW show in Manchester UK on the 8th November. There's also a chance to win tickets to the tour in London UK on the 9th November over on THQ.com.

AdawgDaFAB said:
Cut off used game sales. They offer the 7 day trial because of rentals.
THQ - "Buy used? Well screw you, we still getting at least $10 from you if you want online sucka!"

It's a good thing Blockbuster gives you the game box when you rent it now. So I was still able to go online for my rental. Take that THQ.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Yes you can.

And speaking of AJ. I'm using him for my WWE universe mode. I want him to win the IC title from Ziggler but I can't get him to show up on the contender rankings no matter how many victories I get. How do I get a title match?
Make your own title match?

Seriously though, it takes way too long for your CAW to show up on the rankings. I've played/simulated over 2 years in the game and mine is just #7 on the IC title contender list. You can forget about the World/WWE title because unless you win Royal Rumble or Money in the Bank, it's the same 4 guys getting title shots every month.

I like the WWE Universe stuff but I really wish the GM options were deeper. You shouldn't have to use a glitch to book your own title matches.

Chamber said:
Make your own title match?

Seriously though, it takes way too long for your CAW to show up on the rankings. I've played/simulated over 2 years in the game and mine is just #7 on the IC title contender list.

I like the WWE Universe stuff but I really wish the GM options were deeper. You shouldn't have to use a glitch to book your own title matches.

Yeah that's what I ended up doing. I gave Styles every title in the game and then defended them all at Night of Champions for all 4 trophies.

I played an online Royal Rumble for the first time. My gosh Sheamus is a beast. I entered #1 and made it all the way to the final 4 before I was eliminated.

How do you get in the Money In The Bank match?

Can you just swap your CAW in there?

AdawgDaFAB said:
If true that is a huge sack of BS! I was planning on using a trial in the future to get a bunch of CAWs without having to pay $10 for it. This + the XBLG only BS = I prob won't bother getting the game at all.
Your intentions are more noble, I just want my 10 achievement points. Yep, I'm a bastard.

I'm mostly fine for them charging. Customer doesn't need it on both ends though.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
I played an online Royal Rumble for the first time. My gosh Sheamus is a beast. I entered #1 and made it all the way to the final 4 before I was eliminated.
Whoever designed Sheamus in this game must love him. He's like Lesnar was in hctp.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Man, after awhile it really becomes necessary to change up the brand rosters. Only so many Batista/Randy Orton #1 contender matches I can stomach.

canadian crowe said:
Whoever designed Sheamus in this game must love him. He's like Lesnar was in hctp.
You aint lying. The guy is just devastating in this game.

JdFoX187

Banned
Does anyone online actually play decently anymore? Five matches tonight with nothing but a bunch of douches using the most exploitive moves they could find on the game. Guess people care more about winning a player match that has no record than they about having fun.

It's mostly because chain grapples are impossible. I reverse them by ACCIDENT because the window to hit the button is so enormous. That leaves eight groggy grapples. but it's way harder to reverse running grapples and running strikes so people just spam those.

Lothars

So I was playing an Online Royal Rumble to get the achievement for playing a full online rumble, but the first time my game lagged out and booted me, well whatever I tried again.

The Same thing seemed to happen but than everyone except me left the game and my character got eliminated so a few minutes later it gave let me use another character.

I won the rumble basically against AI online and ended up getting both winning the Rumble achievement and playing a rumble match, I am just glad I don't have to do it again unless they improve the connection because it seems unplayed since it seems so easy to lag out of the game.

Lothars said:
So I was playing an Online Royal Rumble to get the achievement for playing a full online rumble, but the first time my game lagged out and booted me, well whatever I tried again.
Play the game with a friend, have them host it, and have the host quit out. You'll get it.

That's what I hear anyway. I did it legit.

JdFoX187 said:
Does anyone online actually play decently anymore? Five matches tonight with nothing but a bunch of douches using the most exploitive moves they could find on the game. Guess people care more about winning a player match that has no record than they about having fun.

It's been like that for YEARS. One of the main reasons I stay away from online matches along with the insane lag.

YoungHav

Banned
:lol naw dudes, you're doing this wrong. I have Smackdown 2006 and to me its the best in the series. I just want a trophy enabled and "able to download CAWs" smackdown game to play, so between 2010/2011 Smackdown which game is better?

Buckethead said:
Nah bro. 2010 easily.

You can defend titles in exhibition mode.

Nope. The physics, and downloading CAWs, allowing you to edit them, and no grinding for attributes puts 2011 over 2010 to me.

JdFoX187

Banned
Net_Wrecker said:
Nope. The physics, and downloading CAWs, allowing you to edit them, and no grinding for attributes puts 2011 over 2010 to me.
Online is so fucked in 2011 it's pitiful. So many fucking griefers, and the game panders to them. It actually rewards you for just spamming running moves and the new pin system allows for easy pins extremely early in the match. Using regular grapples is completely abandoned now because of how fucking ridiculously easy it is to reverse. There's absolutely no reason to do a grapple because if, by some miracle, you actually do pull one off, the guys completely no-sell and you'll get hit before you're even out of the animation. I was having fun at first, but this could quite possibly be the worst wrestling game ever when it comes to having competitive play. Yukes really fucking dropped the ball on this one.

JdFoX187

Banned
My official full review of the game:

Smackdown vs. Raw 2011 is a perfect example of how the yearly development cycle can hinder a franchise more than it can help. Whatever extra profit the publishers and developers gain from the yearly iteration and truncated development cycle is washed away by the ever-worsening quality of each title. It appeared as if Yukes was onto something with SvR '10, with a new creation suite and a way to share them with the world, an updated grappling system that combined the tested grappling of previous games with the fun ultimate control grapples and an expanded roster, which was the largest in more than four years.

All Yukes had to do was add a new layer of polish by addressing some major bugs, removing some exploitable moves such as the striking spear, and continue to update rosters and add new animations. Instead, Yukes completely reworked the grappling system without enough time to perfect it. They also removd much of the exploitable moves, along with a large amount of moves that had been in the game for years, making many CAWs impossible to make. And that's not even counting the ridiculous reversal window.

The roster is larger than ever, with some old favorites that are no longer with WWE, and even some surprising legends. But with the new community creations system being revamped, just about any wrestler can be remade, shared and edited by the community -- as long as the moves are still in the game. Noticeably missing are Hulk Hogan's entire suite, including the famous leg drop. Many of Ric Flair's moves have been taken out, along with Goldberg and Booker T. Others have to be unlocked, or downloaded through DLC, which makes them impossible to share on community creations. But at least players can now edit the items they download, as long as the original creator allows it.

At first glance, the new grappling system is fairly easy to grasp. Strong and quick grapples are replaced with chain grapples. The more an opponent is damaged, he will become groggy, when the player can institute groggy grapples. But good luck getting the player damaged enough by regular grapples. The reversal window has been expanded so much that short of playing the A.I. on Normal or Easy, or playing someone who has never picked up a controller before, you won't be able to pull off a chain grapple the majority of the time. But running grapples and strikes are just as easy to do as previous years, turning most games into a running grapple and strike fest. Sounds like fun, doesn't it?

The majority of the previous years' abilities have been removed. Turnbuckle exploder, weapon abilities, evasive dodge and several others have been removed. While no one will probably lament the absence of evasive dodge, it does hamper the cruiserweights to an extent. And with every wrestler, including the 600 pound behemoth you created as a CAW, having the ability to pull off turnbuckle exploders, there is very little to differentiate a cruiserweight and a super heavyweight. The lack of weight restrictions means Rey Mysterio can Batista Bomb the Big Show, and the Earthquake CAW you downloaded can scamper up the ropes like Shelton Benjamin. For a series that prides itself on being a "sim" in its marketing, it's about as far from that as one can get.

The majority of the other issues aren't even worth mentioning, since they're brought up every year. The game still uses some animations that date back to the Playstation days of the Smackdown series. Clipping is still a major issue, as is hit detection. Many pins still go unbroken because of drawn out animations, or horrible hit detection that prevents the player from saving the match.

The only good thing Yukes did with this year's edition, was the addition of the WWE Universe mode, which creates a constant running tally of all matches played in exhibition. Players can build feuds, challenge for belts and reign as champions with created CAWs or established wrestlers just by playing offline matches. It's a frivolous addition, but one that can prove fun and addicting, as long as you can stand the broken A.I. and gameplay.

SvR '10 is one step forward and two gigantic steps backward. In an attempt to appeal to a larger demographic of players, Yukes has managed to break the game. Chain grapples, the very foundation of a wrestling game, are completely useless. It's actually a hindrance to use them in regular gameplay. Running grapples provide a quicker, more efficient attack, and rarely miss thanks to some broken autolock on the game, which will cause the player to curve into opponents. Many chain grapple animations last longer than it takes for the opponent to recover, which means you're wide open for attack by the opponent you just body slammed. And that's even if you manage to pull off a grapple, despite the ridiculously long window open for reversals.

If you have friends that you can play with that you can trust won't ruin the game, SvR '11 can be fun. The removal of many exploitable moves is a welcome sight. But the Triple H running knee lift is still in, and as potent as ever. And with very little to counter running grapples, there's not much hope for public play. It's best to stick with SvR '10, or abandon the series until next year.

JdFoX187 said:
Online is so fucked in 2011 it's pitiful. So many fucking griefers, and the game panders to them. It actually rewards you for just spamming running moves and the new pin system allows for easy pins extremely early in the match. Using regular grapples is completely abandoned now because of how fucking ridiculously easy it is to reverse. There's absolutely no reason to do a grapple because if, by some miracle, you actually do pull one off, the guys completely no-sell and you'll get hit before you're even out of the animation. I was having fun at first, but this could quite possibly be the worst wrestling game ever when it comes to having competitive play. Yukes really fucking dropped the ball on this one.

I can totally see how online is bad due to the grapple system, but the guy just wants trophies and downloading CAWs, and with those guidelines, 2011 is a better experience to me.

daycru

Is there a guide somewhere for the finisher/signature states? Need to hit HBK with both of finishers and signatures to get five stars.

Just got the game, is it me or is this game really slow compared to every other SVR? I mean its like walking in quicksand and running is like almost the speed of the old walking.

DrDogg

daycru said:
Is there a guide somewhere for the finisher/signature states? Need to hit HBK with both of finishers and signatures to get five stars.

The official strategy has them, as well as frame data. Also has formulas to figure out a bunch of technical stuff.

Somethings that I wish they could put in the next game and fix.

1. Fix the referee and the interference. The referee don't even attempt to count if there somebody on the outside.
2. Animation are really bad this year. Stop taking out running attack moves.
3. Allow us to make our own Federation or show. That would be fun.
4. Create belts, but allow us to defend them with CPU vs CPU. That never was an option in the past.
5.Controls. Stop changing the controls. Each year you try to make the physic better then last years. By doing this you change the control scheme and try to dumb it down. This only makes the controls stiffer and less responsive.
6. Allow testing sites. A&Q can't do all of the work. You need to get a hold of the true community and the one that are not into wrestling. These guys will help this game.
7. Give the project to AKI. Simple! AKI rules

I buy these games each and every year. I'm loving the WWE 24/7 mode. It's the closet thing to GM Mode. I just like setting up matches and feuds. I just hope next year Yukes do some of the things that I listed.

snackman

Banned
too late now but the LOUD custom entrance music almost ruins it in fact it does. It needs to be turned down even on my old TV set it comes out blasting like i never heard before.

Top Bottom