• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

X-Files officially renewed for 10 episode season 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
That last 'season' honestly had some of the worst written TV I've ever seen and I have no reason to believe that this will be any different.

Alien DNA. Alien DNA. Alien DNA.

xfil.jpg

Slime

Banned
I actually just re-watched Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man a couple weeks ago. It makes the finale for last season even more embarrassing to think about.

Fuck yeah.

scullybeingsexy.gif

Edit - Hope it's not about those new agents. Those guys did not work for me at all.

Edit -

944785b8895d5b904b83c12fbea9d609.gif

Let's do this again

It's amazing what money can do for a person (in terms of appearance, health, and fitness). Gillian Anderson and Julia Louise Dreyfus are prime examples of women that have only gotten more beautiful as they aged.

I hope it's good this time. Serously, fuck Chris Carter. And this is coming from someone who kinda digs I Want to Believe, but fuck that abortion of a comeback. It betrayed everything the show used to be and became parody. It hurts just thinking about it.

ZOONAMI

It's amazing what money can do for a person (in terms of appearance, health, and fitness). Gillian Anderson and Julia Louise Dreyfus are prime examples of women that have only gotten more beautiful as they aged.

I dunno man I think it's pretty much all genes with Gillian.

This reminds me that I still need to watch the second half of the last season...I really liked the 3rd episode, but the first two weren't quite what I expected.

BkMogul

Last season was some of the most disappointing episodes of television I've seen in a long time. The bigger alien storyline was just glossed over, in favor of one-off episodes (maybe only 1 I throughly enjoyed). With 10 episodes, they need to finally give this the proper resolution it so rightly deserves. Please don't fuck this up, Chris Carter!

I'm really hoping they let Darin Morgan write/direct at least 3-4 episodes out of this. He's that damn good. James Wong's episode in S10 was a bit underrated imo as well. I'm okay if he gets to pump out a few.

Would be great if they could somehow get Vince Gilligan to write an episode for em but I don't know if even he might be able to with his dealings with AMC.

Funny how far Carter has fallen considering he has written a few episodes that were considered the best in the series.

bndadm

I am only excited because I dearly hope they can salvage season 10. More episodes is great but Chris Carter has to step aside. Bring in someone to tie up the mythos finally.

That being said government paranoia right now is the right atmosphere for it.
Just fucking land the ending will ya?

I thought making a season-long fake-out was really stupid. But generally I liked the episodes.

But the finale was shot like a fucking high school thriller.

Ashby

Can somebody remind me of the mythology retcon they did in season 10? Was it that there were never any aliens all along or whatever

I don't like this will they won't they bullshit with renewal of the xfiles.

I want multiple seasons not just a couple in random isolation. Makes me less hyped and feels like there can't be overarching narratives between multiple seasons.

Can somebody remind me of the mythology retcon they did in season 10? Was it that there were never any aliens all along or whatever

Aliens were trying to save us from ourselves.

Although, I highly doubt this was real and not a fake-out.

But who knows. Carter apparently thinks he is still hot shit.

KSweeley

Here's the official Fox press release, it says Chris Carter will be executive-producing these 10 episodes: http://www.foxflash.com/fox/content/x-files”-returns-fox-10-episode-second-installment-event-series

Thursday, April 20, 2017
“THE X-FILES” RETURNS TO FOX FOR 10-EPISODE SECOND INSTALLMENT OF EVENT SERIES

FOX has ordered a second chapter of THE X-FILES event series. The all-new 10-episode installment once again will be executive-produced by creator Chris Carter, with stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson returning in their roles as iconic FBI Agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully. The event series will air during the 2017-2018 season. Production is set to begin in summer 2017.

“Iconic characters, rich storytelling, bold creators – these are the hallmarks of great TV shows. And they are some of the reasons why THE X-FILES has had such a profound impact on millions of fans worldwide,” said David Madden, President, Fox Broadcasting Company. “Chris’ creativity, along with the brilliant work of David and Gillian, continue to propel this pop culture phenomenon, and we can’t wait to see what fresh mysteries Mulder and Scully uncover in this next chapter of THE X-FILES.”

In 2016, THE X-FILES drew an average Multi-Platform audience of nearly 16 million viewers and was last season’s No. 2 broadcast drama. It also was the season’s most talked-about event series on Twitter.

In.

The ass premiere and even more shit finale where worth sitting through just for the werelizard episode, which is one of the best episodes of the show.

I had no problem with the finale. It's just people nowadays are weaksauce and weren't ready for a real cliffhanger. X-Files always was a show that wasn't easy to understand or have a lot of answers, you should know the deal by now.
I have more of a problem with the silly humor one off episodes. At least 2 of them were the worst episodes in the entire series. I think the one with Mulder dancing. Was a jump the shark moment but the finale brought it back for me. I'm glad to see a new season.

Lucreto

The last season wasn't great. I like the Xfiles but that season was meh. That werelizard one was terrible and I generally love the comic episodes.

Well beggers can't be choosers I suppose.

Now we have an Xfiles revival and a Star Trek revival, hopefully a Stargate one will follow.

Can't wait for those three good episodes.

That sounded sarcastic but I'm genuinely excited. Sometimes you have to swim through garbage to catch gems.

I had no problem with the finale. It's just people nowadays are weaksauce and weren't ready for a real cliffhanger. X-Files always was a show that wasn't easy to understand or have a lot of answers, you should know the deal by now.
But nothing about last season was difficult to understand. It was all laid out and explained extremely clearly, to the point where it didn't even feel like it had an ounce of the mystery of the original X-Files. At the end we have pretty much every answer we could ever want (MORE than I wanted, honestly).

The cliffhanger was just... a cliffhanger. Nothing particularly mysterious or special about it, the episode just ended when a UFO showed up.

It sounds like they want to explain why Mulder's "specialness" (cause they really did try to make him the Chosen On in seasons 5 onward) didn't save him from the Spartan Virus. It's even more weird because it was literally the main plot point of episode 2.

C4Lukins

Yay, but there was only two good episodes in the last season.

I hope the showrunners actually have a plan though for how to conclude the main plot line of the series. In an era of great serialized television, the bull shit making it up as you go will not satisfy anyone.

Hulohot

Neo Member
Yes! So excited for this.

As a mega-fan the new season 10 was certainly a mixed bag, genuine X-Files moments were few and far in between in most episodes, but still enjoyable mostly (despite terrible pacing issues with the first and last).

The season felt rushed and squeezed, the limited run certainly hurt it however it did give us an all time classic with the were-monster.

The Trash man could have been a great episode but again it was two episodes mashed into one where each half deserved it's own, harming its potential.

Hope Chris Carter can get it together and get the series feels back again.

Sojgat

Loved four episodes of last season.

Chris Carter was the problem with the other two. Don't let him write anything this time.

xandaca

Interested. The first and last episodes of last season were utter cack, especially Reyes' character being brutalised (particularly as someone who has generally defended her), but Home Again was utterly wonderful, Were-Monster was pretty good, and Founder's Mutation and Babylon were mixed but broadly OK. If the standalones of the new set have a similar hitrate to last time, it'd be perfectly acceptable.

Kevin

Absolutely love LOVE the X-Files but last years Event Series was rather mediocre all things considered outside of that one monster episode. Still it was fun enough that I would definitely support more.

I really hope they do less comedy though and make it more creepy and serious like the original run was most of the time. Better writing please!

Slaythe

This is an Indiana jones V situation.

We all want to forget what they did last, but keep hope that with less Lucas/carter it can be good.

I'm in, even tho I hated the season 10.

While the mythology carter episodes were at an all time Low bad, his Muslim episode was offensive on so many levels. He can't fucking write for shit.

Santar

I just hope Duchovny is 100% committed this time, last time it seemed he was just kinda there tagging along after Gillian.
No enthusiasm, felt like he didn't really want to do it any more.
Gillian was great though but it just felt off that she led basically all the episodes when usually it was the other way around or at least more evenly split.

Pluto

Here's the official Fox press release, it says Chris Carter will be executive-producing these 10 episodes
I'm out, there'll probably be two or three decent episodes in the middle of the season, but I'll avoid the premier, finale and everything else written by Carter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom