• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBO Gears of War bundle Tops Black Friday accoring to Infoscout.

Elandyll

Banned
Why are people so surprised that Target had a $60gc with the XB1?

Got my PS4 with a $90 gc at Kohls, and afaik Meijer had a $50gc (granted that it was a doorbuster at both and Target had a lot more stock).
Anyways, we'll see if there is any PR tomorrow, I imagine both Sony and MS were waiting to incorporate the Cyber Monday sales, specially if they're close.

The Gears Xbox One bundle wasn't the best selling bundle?

Early on there was a chance of XBOX selling better so a few got their jimmies rustled. Pay no attention. In the warz™ , this is a 1% blowout!

I'm excited that games sold as well as they did. Great sales on most games except for Halo 5 and Tomb Raider. I'm thinking those will get sales soon heading into 🎄.

Edit: Minecraft keeps selling. Surprised Until Dawn didn't chart. Was going to pick it up but was sold out.

b3b0p

I don't understand the accuracy and relevance of Infoscout data. They depend on consumers scanning their receipts using their phones? I don't know or have heard of anyone ever doing this. So, the majority of their users bought Xbox One consoles? That's got to be something like negligible number of people from my guess. I could be wrong, old, and just cranky. If they had millions and billions of people using their API and uploading receipts I would expect a little more bragging or have at least heard of this being more popular.

I don't understand the accuracy and relevance of Infoscout data. They depend on consumers scanning their receipts using their phones? I don't know or have heard of anyone ever doing this. So, the majority of their users bought Xbox One consoles? That's got to be something like negligible number of people from my guess. I could be wrong, old, and just cranky. If they had millions and billions of people using their API and uploading receipts I would expect a little more bragging or have at least heard of this being more popular.

Statistics is a real thing. Extrapolation. Deviation range is pretty tight.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The consumers win this holiday. Three cheers all around

r4DtJS0.jpg

Consumers, in a way, indeed won, and XB1/PS4 are both winners. But in another, more accurate way, PS4 is the winner.

The apps donate to charities or offer lotteries/cash rewards. Seems like a great way to collect purchasing data. I know if some of my relatives heard about them, they'd use the apps until their thumbs fell off.

I'm betting these statistics are great for the company's PR. Shows off the statistics they can pull and gets them coverage.

On Demand

Banned
Being even in sales on BF, as far as Infoscout's data is concerned anyway, Means PS4 probably won with more that 100K gap because pre orders for SW and COD bundles, and sales from weeks before.

What do you guys think?

Oh dear. I hope that means more Gears of War: UE players, instead of people who just have the code lying around or activate it and never play the damn thing.
Hey thats my xbox avatar. Nothing better than seeing that skull in a slot or two after a Battlefront game.

But this is fantastic to here.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Between the bundle doing great and the badwill Halo has made, I fully believe Gears is bigger for MS than Halo is now.

MaulerX

NPD will be interesting as fuck. I just checked the MS store and they still have the $60 gift card with all the XB1 bundles. Also curious as to how many current owners upgraded in early November to the Elite or other 1TB bundle with the $250 trade in offer at Gamestop. Personally I took advantage of that because it was the only way to get the Elite controller and wound up with a free game and extra controller to boot.

allan-bh

And to think the PS4's not even in beast mode yet.. (exclusive wise)

Sony exclusives in general aren't system sellers like the big third-parties we are seeing, so I don't think these exclusives will provide a major improvement in sales.

The formula to increase PS4 sales is price drop, bundles and retailer deals.

shandy706

with such low a disparity that's pretty much a loss for MS even if they end up slightly ahead

Wut

Pretty sure they're all winning during this time of year.

Why do people want to name a loser so bad?

This mentality is so annoying.

"There absolutely MUST be a "loser".

It's like a football team going 12-1. They're amazing at 12-0, then they lose a game and...."(Insert Team Name) sucks!!" "What a disappointing season!"

Trup1aya

They had 250,000 receipts... That's a massive sample sizes. Way larger than most highly regarded polls. There won't be much deviation.

TBiddy

They had 250,000 receipts... That's a massive sample sizes. Way larger than most highly regarded polls. There won't be much deviation.

You don't need a massive sample size to make a very precise prediction. You do, however, need a representation of the population in order to extrapolate.

Also, from what I can see, we don't have any sales numbers (only the percentage split) for either console, which doesn't help either.

If the uploaders of the receipts consist mainly of 40 year old house-wives and 55 year old divorced men, you won't be getting numbers anywhere near the actual sales.

Wut

Pretty sure they're all winning during this time of year.

Why do people want to name a loser so bad?

This mentality is so annoying.

"There absolutely MUST be a "loser".

It's like a football team going 12-1. They're amazing at 12-0, then they lose a game and...."(Insert Team Name) sucks!!" "What a disappointing season!"

But it's not 12-1, loss in this case just means the gap isn't closing which no matter how you look at it is bad for MS in their home turf.

If there's a winner there's a loser and losing doesn't mean going out of business or being discontent with the result.

Saying everyone is winning is nonsensical, everyone might be succeeding but if you look at it as a competition, which people clearly do when they say winning and losing, then there'll be winners and losers.

It's your prerogative to not look at it like a competition or to look at the industry as a whole but then just ignore those that look at it like a competition.

jfoul

Good news. Hopefully all gaming devices, and software do well this holiday season. A healthy market across the board gives us more games.

Between the bundle doing great and the badwill Halo has made, I fully believe Gears is bigger for MS than Halo is now.

I believe if handled correctly next year and assuming it hits the right level of quality its very possible Gears 4 could outsell Halo 5.

Lack of MCC style screw-up, good break between entires (2.5 years Judgment -> UE, much longer for 3 -> 4), Gears isn't particularly similar to other multiplayer shooters on the market which are mostly FPS and they aren't limiting the Gears 4 beta to a specific product. As far as I can tell it is having an open beta with early access for Gears UE owners which Halo didn't get (beta in December 2014 but it was limited to broken ass MCC), that was probably one of their biggest mistakes for Halo, not letting anyone just play it a month or so before release.

I believe in Rod too and think MS will go huge on it next year. Plus a possible Windows 10 launch could help

etta

my hard graphic balls
I believe if handled correctly next year and assuming it hits the right level of quality its very possible Gears 4 could outsell Halo 5.

Lack of MCC style screw-up, good break between entires (2.5 years Judgment -> UE, much longer for 3 -> 4), Gears isn't particularly similar to other multiplayer shooters on the market which are mostly FPS and they aren't limiting the Gears 4 beta to a specific product. As far as I can tell it is having an open beta with early access for Gears UE owners which Halo didn't get (beta in December 2014 but it was limited to broken ass MCC), that was probably one of their biggest mistakes for Halo, not letting anyone just play it a month or so before release.

I believe in Rod too and think MS will go huge on it next year. Plus a possible Windows 10 launch could help
But will it be 60fps?

etta

my hard graphic balls
The multiplayer will be, I doubt the campaign will
on Xbox One
Nice.

Does it matter? I'm happy for a new Gears to be 30fps and fucking gorgeous. It's not the sort of game that massively benefits from it, I'd say.
Of course it does. If it is to get bigger than Halo, it needs every help it can get, including smooth 60fps. The competitive scene will love that, too.
Even Uncharted is sacrificing things to make 60fps MP a reality, so yes, it's a really important component of multiplayer in general.

krang

Nice.

Of course it does. If it is to get bigger than Halo, it needs every help it can get, including smooth 60fps. The competitive scene will love that, too.
Even Uncharted is sacrificing things to make 60fps MP a reality, so yes, it's a really important component of multiplayer in general.

Uncharted is a lot more twitch-based than Gears, though. I've played UE and it didn't feel wholly necessary to me in MP, unlike Halo which seems like a massive backwards step to go to 30fps now.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Uncharted is a lot more twitch-based than Gears, though. I've played UE and it didn't feel wholly necessary to me in MP, unlike Halo which seems like a massive backwards step to go to 30fps now.
I wouldn't call Uncharted a twitch-based shooter, but that's beside the point. If Uncharted, the king of graphics on consoles (well, Naughty Dog in general) is willing to sacrifice visuals and resolution to get to 60fps, doesn't that tell you something?
60fps helps all types of games, not just fast action twitch based ones. And Gears rocking a shotgun is pretty fast paced, not to mention the use of cover is as well.

Top Bottom