• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOne Console in stock at Amazon for $499.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because an Amazon restock didn't sell out in five hours? What if it takes six? Or 12? The contrast with PS4's restock selling out is irrelevant because we have no idea how many units they got of each. (I know, party pooper and all.)

This situation by itself does not tell a story, but it's one thing to nod your head at and take note of IMO.

We already knew pre-orders were much stronger for PS4 for months now. It's not like this situation is occurring in a vacuum.

Banned for using the word "just" to describe something he did three days ago?

My wife "just" had a baby six months ago.....

Exactly. It was funny as a semantics thing, but really?

Edit: m0dus makes me look silly, naturally. So this neeeever happened.

Dysun

Still "In Stock" hours later, getting interesting now. Low demand, or excellent supply, can't wait for the next 3 months worth of NPDs...

Alchemy

This getting crazy. I was never hopeful for long term sales, but I figured it would be sold out to fans for the first month at least.

Lynn616

Still "In Stock" hours later, getting interesting now. Low demand, or excellent supply, can't wait for the next 3 months worth of NPDs...

It is weird. The Best Selling rank hasnt changed in that time. It started at 114,574 and is still at that mark. Says it is updated hourly so does that mean they sold Zero? Of course not but just noticed that.

Xbox Day One edition is at #342 and it has been out of stock.

statham

I think it'll be more interesting after 3 months, when the scalpers are gone and every store has them instock. The true test will be next holiday when both systems have enough backstock that we could see some huge nov/dec numbers.

jayu26

That's not why he got banned, FYI.

Well, that's a monkey off my back.

On a more positive note: I hope this stock not selling out means MS was able to produce enough to keep up with the demand. I will eagerly wait for NPD numbers.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I dunno, I think the idea of Amazon US sitting on a couple hundred thousand Xbones 11 days after a "worldwide" launch to be a tad farfetched.

That being said, it's too soon to say anything negative. If we're seeing XB1 piled up at stores midway through December ala Wii U last year, then it becomes a conversation.

CzarTim

I think it'll be more interesting after 3 months, when the scalpers are gone and every store has them instock. The true test will be next holiday when both systems have enough backstock that we could see some huge nov/dec numbers.

Hopefully MS releases a Kinectless sku before then.

ZeroX03

Banned
Isn't the Xbox One pretty much in stock everywhere? It is in Australasia and Europe, is that not the case in the US? An expensive luxury product with less demand than a cheaper competitor. Not sure how this is surprising.

Biker19

Banned
(Today, 10:48 PM)

(11-30-2013, 02:13 AM)

How many Xboxs did you buy because you could not buy PS4?

Well this one was a freebie...

LMFAO. Sometimes it doesn't hurt for some people like batman to keep quiet.

hahhahah

I forgot how cynical some people can be. Maybe I should've been more clear on when I said "I just pulled the gun on the xbone."

Also, I got it from the MS ebay store on the 29th. Didn't buy a scalped one.

See what I mean, people?

Isn't the Xbox One pretty much in stock everywhere? It is in Australasia and Europe, is that not the case in the US? An expensive luxury product with less demand than a cheaper competitor. Not sure how this is surprising.

As far as I can tell the Xbox One never sold out in NZ. It's still available at plenty of retailers.

If they do have a lot of stock right now, much will they have available later on in the month?

I'm assuming they didn't send their whole allotment to Amazon for the month of december all upfront...

timlot

Banned
This getting crazy. I was never hopeful for long term sales, but I figured it would be sold out to fans for the first month at least.

Hardcore fans who wanted an xbox one have them. Casuals have to get past the $500. Not an easy thing to do. I'm enjoying mine though. The all in one thing makes htpc unnecessary for me.

FroJay

Banned
I thought this was pretty common knowledge? Didn't most early indicators show PS4>Xbox One demand and sales? MS has really put themselves behind the 8 ball, should be interesting come NPD time...

Codeblew

Tempted to order one but a voice in the back of my head keeps telling me I would regret it. It would only be for 3-4 exclusives in the next year or two. I just can't convince myself to shell out 500 bones for that.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
That's not why he got banned, FYI.

People are putting a great deal of stock in Amazon's availability, I thought we'd come to the conclusion long ago that extrapolating demand from their unit stock / top tens provided anecdotal information that was spurious at best? We have gone back and forth between 'yield problems' and 'too much supply' several times in the last few days now, IIRC ;-)
It's meaningless by itself. But if MS is outselling Sony at the moment due to greater supply they sure are being oddly reticent about the numbers.

timlot

Banned
Tempted to order one but a voice in the back of my head keeps telling me I would regret it. It would only be for 3-4 exclusives in the next year or two. I just can't convince myself to shell out 500 bones for that.

I wouldn't get a XBone just for games. PS4 is the better machine if thats all you want to do. I game in my living room where the XBone is a better fit as an all in one media device. Love the fact I can go form tv to game to apps and back to tv so seamlessly.

kirby_fox

Banned
Could these yield issues have been solved due to not launching in certain areas until next year? Redirecting units around would create a higher supply in places that Microsoft expected higher demand in, but the demand is off. Consider the Black Friday trends, the Xbox One was highest on a list of what people were looking for or bought (unfortunately I don't recall which one). Followed up by the 360, due to that 99$ deal though.

I.E. - Yield issues came out, they postpone launch elsewhere to meet what they think is initial demand, see trends wanting Xbox Ones, and instead of stockpiling for other regions push the supply out to already launched areas where they think demand is high. Demand isn't as high as initially thought, and leads to sitting supply on store shelves and will potentially lead to low supply when launched in other regions next year if they don't get the yield issues figured out.

flak57

It's obvious that it's not actually in stock.

A few hours ago it was at #114,551. It is now at #114,579.

Just to give an idea of the kind of numbers those are -

#15,349 Azurik: Rise of Perathia
#24,784 Demon's Crest SNES
#50,540 Final Fight Guy SNES
#61,565 Plumbers Don't Wear Ties 3DO

That last one supposedly has about 2 sales per month on Ebay, by the way.
http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/3do/plumbers-don't-wear-ties

Literally one sale and it would shoot up 10s of thousands on the rankings.

PSGames

I wouldn't get a XBone just for games. PS4 is the better machine if thats all you want to do. I game in my living room where the XBone is a better fit as an all in one media device. Love the fact I can go form tv to game to apps and back to tv so seamlessly.

Just because it's more powerful doesn't mean it's the better games machine. The 3DS is much less powerful than the Vita for instance. It's all about the games and MS has shown they aren't shy with buying 3rd party exclusives. So which is the better games system would come down to one's taste.

Just because it's more powerful doesn't mean it's the better games machine. The 3DS is much less powerful than the Vita for instance. It's all about the games and MS has shown they aren't shy with buying 3rd party exclusives. So which is the better games system merely comes down to taste.

MS has also shown they aren't shy with selling off the Xbox division...

Money won't be thrown around so easily with Xbox One.

Eusis

Just because it's more powerful doesn't mean it's the better games machine. The 3DS is much less powerful than the Vita for instance. It's all about the games and MS has shown they aren't shy with buying 3rd party exclusives. So which is the better games system merely comes down to taste.
Admittedly price is a factor too: 3DS is weaker BUT also cheaper. Maybe not proportionally to its power, but it's still following the idea that Vita's extra cash gets you more power. More importantly though getting both opens up lots of choices for games, PS4/XB1 look to have similar overlap to last generation so it's pretty much if you really like what the XB1's doing with multimedia stuff in addition to their exclusives (fair enough really, some people really do like how Kinect and particularly voice commands work with it.)

It's obvious that it's not actually in stock.

A few hours ago it was at #114,551. It is now at #114,579.

Just to give an idea of the kind of numbers those are -

#15,349 Azurik: Rise of Perathia
#24,784 Demon's Crest SNES
#50,540 Final Fight Guy SNES
#61,565 Plumbers Don't Wear Ties 3DO

That last one supposedly has about 2 sales per month on Ebay, by the way.
http://videogames.pricecharting.com/game/3do/plumbers-don't-wear-ties

Literally one sale and it would shoot up 10s of thousands on the rankings.

It's in stock, the tracker just isn't updating.

BigDug13

Just because it's more powerful doesn't mean it's the better games machine. The 3DS is much less powerful than the Vita for instance. It's all about the games and MS has shown they aren't shy with buying 3rd party exclusives. So which is the better games system would come down to one's taste.

They aren't shy about frontloading a console's launch year with bought 3rd party exclusives. They have yet to prove that they'll do that long term and they've had 2 console generations to prove it.

That's not right at all. The PS has better potential graphic capabilities, sure.

But for me - i have these games on my XBOX right now:

- Killer Instinct
- Ryse
- Dead Rising 3

- Forza
- Battlefield 4

The bolded are absolutely fantastic and i believe they are better than what are available on PS4 right now.

Im thinking of getting PS4 at launch here (13.12.13) in Dubai, but the only game i can really get is Killzone. The next PS4 exclusive i would think about would be The Order (which is march)

So i would say the xbox is fantastic just for games - particularly those 3 games. There is also golf and zoo tycoon as well.

Once they fix the issues which are pissing me off right now (NAT issues on XBL, few other bugs) I really do think this will be a fantastic console.

flak57

It's in stock, the tracker just isn't updating.

And yet it's actually gotten worse in the rankings over the last few hours, when a single sale would shoot it up 10s of thousands. Unless you mean trackers for everything else are updating and this particular listing isn't?

Edit: Actually, I didn't see that Amazon advertised that they'd have stock today. The ranking has to be wrong then, even if they had only got in 100 units it should be way higher than it is.

GhaleonEB

I didn't say anything about the PS4...

But yes, I do think it's a bad sign that it didn't sell out quickly (or at all as of this writing). Not because the PS4 is sold out, but because the expectation is that a new console should be sold out this close to launch. That expectation was backed by Microsoft's own claims today boasting that it is sold out mostly everywhere (which now in hindsight recalls memories of Jack Tretton's $1200 bet). This isn't some random walmart in the middle of nowhere with 20 consoles sitting on the floor, its Amazon. During the Holiday season. The news that they had them in stock was posted everywhere and you would expect scalpers at the very least to jump on it if they felt the demand was strong enough. Amazon should be selling them as fast as they can put them out there, which is exactly what Microsoft said was happening.
I peg things like this one notch above anecdotal data: useful to a limited degree and worth discussing especially in the broader context of the launch. But not something to get carried away with, for reasons m0dus covered. (You didn't mention the PS4, I did, for context.)

This situation by itself does not tell a story, but it's one thing to nod your head at and take note of IMO.
Essentially, this.

Codeblew

Yeah, I already have a PS4 for Sony exclusives and multiplats. Hell, I still have Resogun, NFS and Killzone to finish but I have neglected them to play War Thunder for the past few days (created a UK account so I could DL it). Also BF4 when they finally fix that shit. Crap, I am talking myself out of it as I speak. heh.

BigDug13

That's not right at all. The PS has better potential graphic capabilities, sure.

But for me - i have these games on my XBOX right now:

- Killer Instinct
- Ryse
- Dead Rising 3

- Forza
- Battlefield 4

The bolded are absolutely fantastic and i believe they are better than what are available on PS4 right now.

Im thinking of getting PS4 at launch here (13.12.13) in Dubai, but the only game i can really get is Killzone. The next PS4 exclusive i would think about would be The Order (which is march)

So i would say the xbox is fantastic just for games - particularly those 3 games. There is also golf and zoo tycoon as well.

Once they fix the issues which are pissing me off right now (NAT issues on XBL, few other bugs) I really do think this will be a fantastic console.

Those games are fine and they beef up the XBO's launch lineup for sure. But those are also 3 games from studios not owned by Microsoft. Now that these 3 games are out, who's to say what these guys will work on next and for whom. It's not just the better graphics that has had people warming back up to the Playstation brand again over the past few years.

Venfayth

What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
1-Year PlayStation Plus Membership - PS3/ PS4/ PS Vita [Digital Code] by SCEA

:lol

zainetor

Banned
Those games are fine and they beef up the XBO's launch lineup for sure. But those are also 3 games from studios not owned by Microsoft. Now that these 3 games are out, who's to say what these guys will work on next and for whom. It's not just the better graphics that has had people warming back up to the Playstation brand again over the past few years.
There are plenty of good teams to work with, out there.
and Dh is not finished with ki, launch was just the beginning.

timlot

Banned

I honestly think people are "warming back up on the Playstation brand" because for well one the performance of the machine, but superficially its a better looking machine. It has an almost Apple like size, performance, and design element to it. And, the fact its cheaper to boot. I've personally chose an XB1 though because I love all the non gaming stuff. Watched a young lady last week play through the whole campaign of Ryse on twitch while watching espn. Feel like I played through the game myself.

Hey, me too! I'd be tempted, but one, it looks like these aren't that rare considering it is still not sold out, so I have no reason not to wait until I have the cash/there's a price drop, and two, it's really difficult to buy a third piece of gaming hardware when I'm sure the other two will keep me so busy.

But that Xbox Fitness. ;_;

Considering MS only launched in 13 Country's, compared to Sony's 32 thus far??? MS played it smart, making sure they will have the stock for the country's most interested in there console, while production accounted for that.

Still not sure why MS still spends money on Japan? It's obvious though they just don't want to show consumers that they are giving up... money lost, and bullshit on there part still trying to invest on this tiny island who are ignorant to there product.

statham

They aren't shy about frontloading a console's launch year with bought 3rd party exclusives. They have yet to prove that they'll do that long term and they've had 2 console generations to prove it.

so like this past gen, buy a xbox one now with major exclusives then get a PS4 later when they push more exclusives.

Still not sure why MS still spends money on Japan? It's obvious though they just don't want to show consumers that they are giving up... money lost, and bullshit on there part still trying to invest on this tiny island who are ignorant to there product.
Do you mean the Japanese people (and not the literal island)? That they're ignorant of the Xbox family? No, that's incredibly rude. They're not.

They simply have no desire for it. "Ignorant" is not the word to use for such an incredibly well-informed consumer base. Microsoft doesn't have any kind of plan for a release there yet and we have no other details beyond the fact that they say they'll get to it at some point in 2014. After getting burned bad with the early 360 and entirely ignored since it'll be interesting to see how much money gets tossed at Japan again, so I guess I'm with you on that end.

If this is indeed the case, and from all indications it is, it's not at all surprising.

People are still expecting this generation to be decided in just over a month or so though, when making such a big deal about things like this. We're not even 3 full weeks into this gen yet. It will be NEXT Christmas when we really start seeing where demand is at.

I still fully expect PS4 to outsell XB1 unless MS steps up to the plate and releases a Kinectless sku for $349 sometime in 2014. If that happens, then all bets are off, but they keep saying they're not going to do that, so yeah Sony has the edge.

Does that mean XB1 is going to be the Wii U all over again? No. I do not expect that in the least. There will be enough demand for it in the states at least, even if very little elsewhere, to carry the brand. When the price drops (and it most assuredly will, even if it's only a $50 price drop at/around Christmas 2014) demand will tick up a bit, and when they can eventually get to that magic $299 price point it will start selling at a steady pace.

Meanwhile the PS4 won't need to price drop as far or as fast to keep demand up, and in that sense they should maintain the lead in console unit sales for the forseeable future, if not the entire gen barring some sort of unforseen catastrophe.

But sitting around the proverbial water cooler talking doom and gloom right at this moment just because there's stock of either console, especially the more expensive one, either online or in brick and morter stores is just hyperbole at its finest, and doesn't accomplish much other than do the pinnochio act with your epeen.

Just an FYI, there are quite a few more Xbox One's in our building at Amazon right now than PS4's. I'd say a ratio of 2:1 or so at least.

JLeack

Banned

Indeed. I think it's the supply. Everything I've seen tells me the Xbox One is in high demand despite hate on forums.

Rhindle

People are putting a great deal of stock in Amazon's availability, I thought we'd come to the conclusion long ago that extrapolating demand from their unit stock / top tens provided anecdotal information that was spurious at best? We have gone back and forth between 'yield problems' and 'too much supply' several times in the last few days now, IIRC ;-)
Well clearly, it must be one or the other.

statham

yeah I hope they buy more exclusives... being a pc gamer makes xbox one undesirable.

to a certain extent, Microsoft doesn't look at PC as a competitor like it does with PS3/4. but the majority of the main games aren't out for the PC.

JLeack

Banned
I honestly think people are "warming back up on the Playstation brand" because for well one the performance of the machine, but superficially its a better looking machine. It has an almost Apple like size, performance, and design element to it. And, the fact its cheaper to boot. I've personally chose an XB1 though because I love all the non gaming stuff. Watched a young lady last week play through the whole campaign of Ryse on twitch while watching espn. Feel like I played through the game myself.

I don't think aesthetics make a lick of difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom