• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XBOne Console in stock at Amazon for $499.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigDug13

so like this past gen, buy a xbox one now with major exclusives then get a PS4 later when they push more exclusives.

It's different this time. I don't want to pay for 2 online ecosystems. And I still own a Vita and PS3 so there goes that idea of switching ecosystems. And an XBO purchase is pretty pointless without Gold. You can't do much with it.

USC-fan

Banned
Just an FYI, there are quite a few more Xbox One's in our building at Amazon right now than PS4's. I'd say a ratio of 2:1 or so at least.

Wow ps4 sold out in under 30 mins and xbone still not.

Thought it would be 10:1 or something way higher than 2:1.

Eusis

Wow ps4 sold out in under 30 mins and xbone still not.

Thought it would be 10:1 or something way higher than 2:1.
Yeah, guess it's a bit of both afterall: more limited supply contrasted with much higher demand. And the PS4 launched in more areas, didn't it?

dgco86

What??? Both the PS3 and PS4 have a universal 110-240v power supply, I can't believe the Xbone isn't the same. Especially since it's external. So, are you sure about that?

Well, I'm just going by the label on the power brick of my US Xbox One. It could be another case where the label says its 110v only but its actually multi-voltage (Wii U comes to mind) but I'm not about to test out that theory. Anyway third party multi-voltage bricks are about $25 off eBay so thats an option too.

Eusis

The ease of development and Playstation 1-levels of "time to triangle" will probably help. PS3 was a bitch.
Plus the simple fact they launched at the same time. A key factor for the 360 having so many strong exclusives wasn't just a different direction for first parties then, it was because they were out a year in advance AND easier to develop for, took a few years for the situation to be equalized. This time both are out at the same time, PS4 is roughly equally easy to develop for (DOES seem like it may depend on familiarization with each set of tools going by CD Projekt Red's comments) while frequently outperforming the XB1, and most third party exclusives this time are due to deals Microsoft struck rather than simply being a more ideal platform to develop for at the time. There aren't even that many exclusives compared to before, Dead Rising again and Titanfall stick out for third parties and their first party lineup seems smaller though I need to compare them, but I recall loads of titles that either only ever came out on 360 or at least 360 was the only "next gen" platform they hit.
Yes, 32 countries vs 13.
Yeah, could easily be a case of Microsoft having less stock but deciding to focus it all on trying to win America and possibly UK/Australia immediately. Which admittedly is probably the better strategy: they had trouble with upttake in Europe last time, and with limited supply it'd be better to try to make themselves THE marque console in territories favorable to them then focus on the rest afterwards with the strong support in established nations possibly making it easier to keep catching on.

Just an FYI, there are quite a few more Xbox One's in our building at Amazon right now than PS4's. I'd say a ratio of 2:1 or so at least.

Same for my store (Best Buy)

First truck came today & received 24 Xbones, 6 PS4's for the Sunday ad hold. We get another truck later this week but I expect #'s to remain the same.

It's different this time. I don't want to pay for 2 online ecosystems. And I still own a Vita and PS3 so there goes that idea of switching ecosystems. And an XBO purchase is pretty pointless without Gold. You can't do much with it.

It get that obviously this varies from person to person, but I had no problem swapping to Xbox Live even though I own a Vita and a PS3. Online play on the PS3 is still free and to be honest the games from PlayStation+ have been so poor lately that I haven't even bothered downloading a lot of them -- not even to keep them in my catalogue. The Vita in particular now sees them giving away PSP games because the well is running dry.

I think MS's strategy of putting EVERYTHING behind a paywall could backfire for the reason you stated. If the PS4 outsells the XB1 as expected, it will be harder for Microsoft to convince those PS4 owners to buy a XB1 later as a second console. Potential buyers will view the cost of owning an Xbox One that isn't a paperweight = <price of console> + <price of Gold>.

Going the other way, the PS4 doesn't have nearly as hard of a sell. If you don't do online gaming, which many people do not, then the PS4 works perfectly well without a PSN+ subscription. That combined with its lower price tag leads me to believe that later in this generation, the PS4 will pick up more use as a secondary console than the other way around for the XB1.

Microsoft wanted to inject the Gold subscription price in front of doing anything with your TV. Ultimately I think they will have to backtrack on that plan. They'll get the hardcore gamers that would by Gold no matter what, but it will be a poison pill for the casual audience that MS so covets.

Despite the extra stock, the XBO hasn't managed to come any closer to the PS4 on Amazon's Best Sellers 2013 list. I wonder what the difference is like.

Edit: Not sure whether the list has been updated to reflect today's sales or not.

So, does this mean the xbone has low demand or higher supply? I guess we'll find out when we get the NPD numbers, but I'm guessing the former based on how long it takes them to sell out their available stock.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I think MS's strategy of putting EVERYTHING behind a paywall could backfire for the reason you stated. If the PS4 outsells the XB1 as expected, it will be harder for Microsoft to convince those PS4 owners to buy a XB1 later as a second console. Potential buyers will view the cost of owning an Xbox One that isn't a paperweight = <price of console> + <price of Gold>.

Going the other way, the PS4 doesn't have nearly as hard of a sell. If you don't do online gaming, which many people do not, then the PS4 works perfectly well without a PSN+ subscription. That combined with its lower price tag leads me to believe that later in this generation, the PS4 will pick up more use as a secondary console than the other way around for the XB1.

Microsoft wanted to inject the Gold subscription price in front of doing anything with your TV. Ultimately I think they will have to backtrack on that plan. They'll get the hardcore gamers that would by Gold no matter what, but it will be a poison pill for the casual audience that MS so covets.

I agree. If they succeed in getting people to have their atv go through the Xbox, that means they have millions of people seeing heir service every day. Thats a perfect opportunity to upsell more services etc. they shouldn't also need the crutch of gold. But I can understand why they'd be reluctant to give up free money.

Capella

That list literally shows you that the November title is Liberty City Stories.

If I was in America, I would have cancelled PS+ ages ago.
For EU. NA PS+ for Vita in November was Soul Sacrifice. The last few months of PS+ for Vita in NA and EU have been Vita games.

Right. Contrary to popular belief, the PS+ titles aren't free. Lord knows it's worth coughing up $90 a year so I can have Mega Man 9 and Malicous drip fed to me.

You know, pointing out the dishonesty of PS+ being free and then dishonestly stating PS+ as simply drip feeding games like MM9 and Malicious is kinda silly, right?

UNCMark

Banned
Despite the extra stock, the XBO hasn't managed to come any closer to the PS4 on Amazon's Best Sellers 2013 list. I wonder what the difference is like.

Edit: Not sure whether the list has been updated to reflect today's sales or not.

It hasn't. They haven't updated anything all day.

xkramz

We dont even know how many items Amazon have. For all we know Amazon could of had 100 ps4 and 1000 Xbox one. Who knows? Nobody but Amazon knows.

Yet you pay for LIVE.

Yup I got trolled.

Not trolled. In fact, I feel like I'm the one who's come under the offensive, here.

The original point I was replying to was that it was hard to change ecosystems because you only want to pay for one online play service. I said that I didn't find the change hard, because I don't find the "value added extras" of PlayStation+ on the PS3 and Vita to be enough to stop me from wanting to switch to play Killer Instinct, Halo, or Titanfall.

It's not really that hard to understand.

A_Gorilla

Banned
So is MS able to supply more Xb1 than PS4s or is this a sign of low demand? Thats the $64,000 question. Considering the constant rumors all year that Sony caught MS by surprise with their PS4 announcement and thus they rushed the XB1 console, I'm inclined to believe it is a sign of low demand, since I cannot see MS being able to make that many more consoles than Sony if they were caught off guard,

But you never know...

Not trolled. In fact, I feel like I'm the one who's come under the offensive, here.

The original point I was replying to was that it was hard to change ecosystems because you only want to pay for one online play service. I said that I didn't find the change hard, because I don't find the "value added extras" of PlayStation+ on the PS3 and Vita to be enough to stop me from wanting to switch to play Killer Instinct, Halo, or Titanfall.

"I don't find it hard to not pay for Live. I'm fine with not having an 8th Netflix player".

So is MS able to supply more Xb1 than PS4s or is this a sign of low demand? Thats the $64,000 question. Considering the constant rumors all year that Sony caught MS by surprise with their PS4 announcement and thus they rushed the XB1 console, I'm inclined to believe it is a sign of low demand, since I cannot see MS being able to make that many more consoles than Sony if they were caught off guard,

But you never know...

It doesn't look like MS is supplying more consoles than Sony right now. Sony already sold more than a million consoles in NA and 2.1 million world wide. No way MS has that kind of stock.

"I don't find it hard to not pay for Live. I'm fine with not having an 8th Netflix player".

Indeed. I'm not sure of your point here. If the situation was reversed, it would still hold true. "Man, I really wanna play Killzone and inFamous. But if I stick with Xbox then I get Gears of War on my Xbox 360!"

I don't have an Xbox 360. I have a PS3 and a Vita. This was quite the pure switch of brand based on *gasp* the games I wanted to play.

1000 vs 100 isn't 2 to 1.

To be fair there were a lot of PS4's sitting in bundles which I don't know if they were being sold or not, whereas all the Xbox One's were the green boxes that were newly arrived. So if we're comparing the number of Xbox One's vs PS4's that were not in bundles, the number would probably be more like 3:1 or higher.

Indeed. I'm not sure of your point here. If the situation was reversed, it would still hold true. "Man, I really wanna play Killzone and inFamous. But if I stick with Xbox then I get Gears of War on my Xbox 360!"

I don't have an Xbox 360. I have a PS3 and a Vita. This was quite the pure switch of brand based on *gasp* the games I wanted to play.

I'm not arguing your choice to switch. Saying you chose to switch because (insert point to make the other choice appear very bad here) is rather silly. I'm not going to really go on about it, because I don't really think it warrants an argument. Just saying I thought it was silly to represent the other choice so poorly with the whole "MM9 and Malicious drip feed" comment. It's a pet peeve I have that goes on beyond gaming.

UNCMark

Banned
To be fair there were a lot of PS4's sitting in bundles which I don't know if they were being sold or not, whereas all the Xbox One's were the green boxes that were newly arrived. So if we're comparing the number of Xbox One's vs PS4's that were not in bundles, the number would probably be more like 3:1 or higher.

Go kick the computer that tabulates hourly sales figures.

But I thought they had thousands sitting unsold?

Okay...so the issue of availability (or the explanation) is literally changing page to page?

I really don't think you can read very much into this, one way or the other, for good or ill. Not with anything approaching worthwhile accuracy, at least.

And it's all kinda pointless. If MS provided consoles in a 3:1 ratio, and eventually they both sold out, the end result is the same - MS just outsold Sony 3:1.

Glad to see it finally sold out.

I saw it everywhere, slickdeals.net, hardforum.com, cheapassgamer.com, and ign messages.

Crazy how long that took...a lot of those places didn't even realize PS4 was ever in stock!

Great job for keeping us informed guys!

Teletraan1

Banned
But I thought they had thousands sitting unsold?

Okay...so the issue of availability (or the explanation) is literally changing page to page?

I really don't think you can read very much into this, one way or the other, for good or ill. Not with anything approaching worthwhile accuracy, at least.

It was a sarcastic comment based on some of the spin earlier in this thread. We dont know how much stock they had, so I am aware that there is no way to quantify what this means. When we get whatever information we get from NPD hopefully we can math our way to the truth. I haven't commented much on this actual topic this thread is about because there is nothing much that can be said where people dont jump down your throat for speculating on something that we can only speculate about on a discussion board on the internet, which is what has happened in this thread since the first page and it has made for a funny read but I am not reading into anything past it took 7 hours to sell out whatever XB1s they had.

Lemstar

That list literally shows you that the November title is Liberty City Stories.
If you're European, it still doesn't support your statement. One example in a calendar year does not validate your generalization that "The Vita in particular now sees them giving away PSP games because the well is running dry," especially since there were two Vita native games (albeit, one of them cross-buy) accompanying Liberty City Stories in the December drop.

But, you know, selective use of evidence, right?

BigDug13

You don't find value added extras of 4 consoles worth of games being "drip fed" to my 3 playstation systems? Ok.

I mean I paid for Gold for 7 years, so it's not new to me. I just decided not to anymore. And it really pissed me off that my 360 then no longer functioned as my bedroom Netflix player after Gold ended. I just don't get that policy at all.

F2P games aren't even F.

And I feel like the fast movement with lots of verticality of double jumping and wall running will make Titanfall feel way more at home with a mouse and keyboard. So that's the road I'm taking for that game in particular. I'm still skeptical of Destiny after hearing that they're going to have lots of vertical movement, but it may not have the speed and plethora of vertical movement options of Titanfall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom