• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 3 Rumor: Dev Kit Silicon In Prod, IBM CPU/HD 7000 Series GPU, 2013 Release

If that's the case, why doesn't the same seem to apply to Sony?

They do, but there are numerous differences. MS as a company is very profitable, and the 360 has been turning a profit most of its life and massively grew its Xbox 1 userbase. Xbox doesn't have to pay anything back to MS.

Melchiah

Because sony wasn't starting from scratch. MS invested 4 billion dollars to get a foothold in the industry and have used that to propell themselves onto the 360 to see quite a bit of success.

Sony were already the industry leader and all the billions they have lost this gen have just seen them going backwards. That hardly seems like a worthwhile investment.

Despite that next gen i don't think people will be lingering on the lost PS3 money very much the same as they don't with the xbox this gen. Because that money is already lost and you just have to start concentrating on the financials going forward.

Sony certainly didn't need to "invest" 4 billion dollars, when they started from scratch with the PS1, against two competitors as well.

As for the other part, like I said before:
What I meant, was that when things weren't going their way, they had to take on the losses and spend more to keep their brand in the game. I'd say they're in a better position now, than they were during the first half of this generation. If they hadn't invested, and created new franchises for the lost 3rd party titles, the situation would more than likely be worse than it is. And against all odds, they even managed to catch the lead Microsoft had on their installed base.
Now they have few more internal development studios, and a couple of relatively strong franchises of their own, that they can carry on to the next generation.

In a sense, they had to rebuild the brand, after the image had been tarnished.

They do, but there are numerous differences. MS as a company is very profitable, and the 360 has been turning a profit most of its life and massively grew its Xbox 1 userbase. Xbox doesn't have to pay anything back to MS.

Yet the Xbox department is still on the red. If your point of view applies to MS, would it apply to Sony if PS4 turns out be a success, eventhough PS3 was a money drain?

Yet the Xbox department is still on the red. If your point of view applies to MS, would it apply to Sony if PS4 turns out be a success, eventhough PS3 was a money drain?

Yet there is no Xbox department, cause its lumped into their Entertainment division... The 360 has been profitable for a while now. If the PS3 had improved the brand from the PS2, it would apply, but thats just not the case.

Melchiah

Yet there is no Xbox department, cause its lumped into their Entertainment division... The 360 has been profitable for a while now. If the PS3 had improved the brand from the PS2, it would apply, but thats just not the case.

Potato, potaeto.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/15/the-making-of-the-xbox-part-2/
After four years, Microsoft’s Home and Entertainment Group reported a total loss of $4 billion. That number included some other money-losing ventures too. But the vast majority of it was due to Xbox and the loss that the company was taking on every machine that it made. Insiders believed that Microsoft lost $3.7 billion on the original Xbox by 2005. That amounted to a $168 loss on every machine that Microsoft sold. ... When the machine started selling for $299, the cost for making each machine was around $425.

PS3 didn't improve the brand, but they've managed to shake most of the negativity away, and grow their internal studios in the meanwhile.

DarkChild

Banned
They? As in Sony Pictures, Sony Music, Sony insurances, Sony electronic devices... ?
Isn't Sony Pictures dead? Sony mobile phones are in very very bad position, Sony TV's too. They won't die anytime soon, but they are going downwards. If Samsung released console they would defeat them on all fronts I think.

Melchiah

Isn't Sony Pictures dead? Sony mobile phones are in very very bad position, Sony TV's too. They won't die anytime soon, but they are going downwards. If Samsung released console they would defeat them on all fronts I think.

Where would Samsung get games the other competitors don't have?

DarkChild

Banned
Where would Samsung get games the other competitors don't have?
They could do something similar to MS. Give money to couple good studios for couple exclusives, and in meantime buy couple in process for next few years. No need to go crazy like Sony, just bought exclusives for start.

klier

A gaming console is pretty much the only thing Samsung doesn't make yet, thinking about it....

..Don't give them any ideas for Christ's sake, the market is crowded enough with three makers

DarkChild

Banned
A gaming console is pretty much the only thing Samsung doesn't make yet, thinking about it....

..Don't give them any ideas for Christ's sake, the market is crowded enough with three makers
Judging by their phones, MS and Sony would get slaughter in terms of tech.

Furoba

I think they'd look at previous efforts by companies like Panasonic and decide against it.

Potato, potaeto.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/11/15/the-making-of-the-xbox-part-2/

PS3 didn't improve the brand, but they've managed to shake most of the negativity away, and grow their internal studios in the meanwhile.

Since your rehashing ancient arguments, MS also spent an additional billion setting up Xbox Live which part of that figure and was obviously also a planned on long term investment. The PS3 is a great console, but it hurt the brand, which is the exact opposite of the 360, which is why they aren't comparable. If you want to learn more about how Sony/MS/Nintendo fiscal statements work, search for a poster named "Arne"... I promise I'm not making it up.

You'll see them ALL pile on the console bandwagon this generation, probably after Apple releases a TV/revised set top box. Everything will be downloadable though, and possibly integrating a service like OnLive.

This will be the last generation of consoles as we know them.

pottuvoi

Banned
But serious maybe directX 12 will be made available when we have specialized hardware for raytracing dont know if you even want that.
But on B3D i read something about a company that mode that kind of hardware.
DX12 will be available when next generation of GPUs hit the market and that is late 2013 or early 2014. (Maxwell comes 2014 not sure about AMDs chips)
Those new architectures have been under design phase for years now and they should have pretty undestanding know what they will be able to do with them.

Also current gen of GPUs are already quite decent in ray tracing and next generation should be a lot faster.
What are sub pixel polygons by the way?
This paper/video should give the answer. (subpixel polygons are smaller than pixel and drop performance quite badly with current gen GPUs.)

jbug617

Banned
Another reason why I think the next Xbox is coming out next year is based on Call of Duty. The Microsoft exclusive on map packs expire this year and the way I see it is that Microsoft will be alright with getting map packs in the 1st half of 2013 and in the Fall of 2013 they can launch the next Xbox with Call of Duty being a launch title.

IBM and Stacking chips This generation 3D stacking with a unique feature, gluing layers together with special glue to dissipate heat.
Such stacking would allow for dramatically higher levels of integration for information technology and consumer electronics applications. Processors could be tightly packed with memory and networking, for example, into a “brick” of silicon that would create a computer chip 1,000 times faster than today’s fastest microprocessor enabling more powerful smartphones, tablets, computers and gaming devices.
6123658456_a52a14cf35.jpg

Possibly Sony is waiting for the above at 20nm and Xbox using the same at 28nm or some combination of the two. A wafer layer containing 2 gigs of memory would be exactly the same process for both PS4 and next Xbox...IBM, Sony and Microsoft could be sharing parts of the 3D stack wafer designs with each other.

Interesting design with twist if you think about it. IF GPU, memory and CPU were in one chip, they generating the most heat and needing the most interconnects can be at the top in direct contact with the heat sink with interface chips like networking and southbridge at the bottom resulting in fewer connections to the motherboard resulting in less production cost and greater reliability.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Let them so their dreams are crushed when it never comes or it will cost $1999

Price and hopes of a high tech console aside...

The 3M and IBM pressrelease is dated 6 months ago, it states that there will be a joint venture to start planning to develop a potential adhesive that could be used to glue these chips together. It's going to be a long while before something like that hits consumers.

People are non-ironically discussing the merits of the Wii U potentially having this? :lol

MDX

The 3M and IBM pressrelease is dated 6 months ago, it states that there will be a joint venture to start planning to develop a potential adhesive that could be used to glue these chips together. It's going to be a long while before something like that hits consumers.

People are non-ironically discussing the merits of the Wii U potentially having this? :lol

No, not this particular type of stacking presented here.
Using Thru-silicon-vias (TSVs)

It's a logical progression from the last Xbox refresh which had RAM attached electronically on the top of the CPU and packaged in a heat sink compatible shell.

There is nothing technologically advanced in this....it's a logical progression using TSV, it's nothing like the Intel FinFETs going to be used in next generation 22nm. If this is 28nm and Intel literature seems to indicate issues going to 22nm that they are addressing with FinFETs then 28nm is a hump in the road that IBM is stalled at but appears to be bypassing issues using this stacking process.

For Sony, Microsoft and WiiU (may be too early to use this process) it solves manufacturing issues as well as reducing capacitance which can allow a reduction in Vcc making the chips more efficient.

McHuj

The stacking technologies will really help with very large dies by allowing the manufacture to lower costs by producing smaller ones and stacking them to get the same performance as large a die but at a lower cost and much better yields.

However, I don't believe the next gen consoles will have large dies to begin with so I don't think this 3D stacking would give them significant savings (if any).

The stacking technologies will really help with very large dies by allowing the manufacture to lower costs by producing smaller ones and stacking them to get the same performance as large a die but at a lower cost and much better yields.

However, I don't believe the next gen consoles will have large dies to begin with so I don't think this 3D stacking would give them significant savings (if any).
Remember it's two large wafers produced by two different foundries are going to be combined (maybe three with memory).

In this initial showing, IBM is targeting SoC with 100 layers, that is clearly in the far far future.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rbj5vrXulD0

Only few layers of modern SoC architecture could give Sony substantial processing advantage against competition. Not to mention that they could [if they deem it necessary] insert insane amounts of EDRAM in their final product [~4 layers transistors, each with their own 32MBb+ of EDRAM, or one entire layer just for memory].

Stacked tranzistors are currently great unknown, who knows what will they end up making it viable in big/high-processing/powerhungry/hot chips.
It does mention Game Consoles....Is IBM expecting 100 layer game console chips or is the article taking license to draw our attention, 100 layers and 1000 times faster are both insane claims. 5 layers 10 times faster is a practical reality today.

I get your point that modern SOC is not much different from the process in the article I quoted but remember there are two foundries (Global Foundries AMD offshoot producing the AMD GPU) mentioned producing the IBM (CPU) OBAN chip and the method they are to be combined has not been addressed. So two wafers produced by two different foundries are going to be combined...that's not traditional SOC..sounds and I imagine it looks more like my quoted article.

That the chip is named Oban which is a Japanese name for a large stamped coin might indicate Sony-Toshiba involvement.

Dimensions
Height: 152 millimetres
Width: 93 millimetres
Weight: 165.28 grammes

Curator's comments
Ôban were made of hammered gold with a face value of 10 ryô (ounces). The word ôban means 'large stamped [piece]' in Japanese. The earliest ôban were made in the 1580s, when the feudal lord Toyotomi Hideyoshi (1536/7-98) co-operated with wealthy merchants in the Kansai district of central Japan and monopolized Japan's metal mines. He then began to mint gold coins of fixed quality.

The earliest ôban had no inscription - ideal for forgers. To overcome this problem, inscriptions and stamp marks were added. By 1586, the value of the ôban and the signature of the Goto family (the hereditary superintendents of the mint) were handwritten in ink on the front of the ôban. A flower stamp (hanaoshi) was also impressed on the surface. The stamp featured the crest of the paulownia flower (kiri) crest, which was later used in official government and imperial seals.

1) "The earliest ôban had no inscription" Silicon wafers start with no inscriptions, they are blank and are written on.

2) "Weight 165.28 grammes" this could be a subtle reference to the 28nm process.

3) Goto is a popular game

4) "Large stamped piece" is self explaining

Any body who thinks Samsung could come in and make any considerable headroom in the console space in one gen is delirious. Let alone coming close to sony.

Rolf NB

This is more about using fewer individual packages, and smaller circuit boards, to carry more silicon logic. Reduced unit size in exchange for increased power density, reduced yields and higher costs.
This is an answer to rack server problems, where unit size is at a premium, but nobody minds 10000rpm fans and high initial price tags. It doesn't immediately apply to the needs of consumer electronics.
McHu said:
Exactly. If cost and power budgets already keep the chips small enough to build them in a completely traditional fashion, stacking them is merely an extra expense with little benefit.

Xbox eDRAM and RSX on-package memory are cost savings because they keep the memory traces off the circuit board. But they are still side-by-side on a plane. Just on the chip package plane, not the board plane. This isn't quite comparable to proper chip stacking.

bill0527

Xbox 1 was a sunk cost, not an economic loss. After 10 years of people beating the drum, I really wish people would act like they have a brain and try to get some understanding of what this term means and how it applies to Microsoft getting into the console race.

There is no scorecard that measures how profitable the Xbox project is when you compare the current Xbox financials with what it cost them to get into the console race. Saying that the Xbox project is overall unprofitable because they haven't made back the money they spent to get into the race, has no basis in economic or financial reality because the initial costs are considered sunk costs.

They only thing that matters to investors and Microsoft management is that they turn profit on a quarterly and fiscal year basis. The fact that they put 5 billion dollars down to get into the race 10 years ago matters to no one that is a stakeholder in Microsoft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunk_costs

This is more about using fewer individual packages, and smaller circuit boards, to carry more silicon logic. Reduced unit size in exchange for increased power density, reduced yields and higher costs.
If the GPU wafer produced by Global foundries can be tested or enough on the wafer spot tested to insure quality before installing the GPU wafer with the IBM CPU wafer then reduced yields are not an issue.

Shorter connections reduce capacitance which can allow lower Vcc which reduces heat and increases efficiency. The combination of both 28nm and lower Vcc could allow both GPU and CPU in one package.

Everything in one package reduces labor costs. So far a win-win-win. 4 layers with the bottom layer having Southbridge, USB, programmable DSP, Audio, Video and pin count for the OBAN chip to mother board can decrease thereby increasing reliability (remember the temp cycling failures).

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458527 said:
'the company is working on a system-on-chip (SoC) to underpin the product for "seven to 10 years".'
- 'He describes the architecture in broad terms: "You are talking about powerful CPU and GPU with extra DSP and programmable logic.
- 'Tsuruta-san picked out emerging ‘through silicon via’ designs. These stack chips with interconnects running vertically through them to reduce length, raise performance and reduce power consumption.'
- 'Tsuruta-san has noted the difficulties in achieving viable yields at 28nm, though he believes that these problems are now moving towards a resolution.'
- Tsuruta: "We are confident that we can now see a way and that we can use some of these advanced methods to create a new kind of system-on-chip. We think that there are the technologies today that can be taken to this project.”
A detailed description of issues and advantages would give the above more weight. IBM is saying that 2013 will see the first Stacked wafer 3D rather than "apartment building" 3D.

kuroshiki

What?
I mean, I agree Sony is in deep shit. but Samsung releasing console? Not in million years. They focus on hardware, not a software, and it is software that drives the console.

Rolf NB

If the GPU wafer produced by Global foundries can be tested or enough on the wafer spot tested to insure quality before installing the GPU wafer with the IBM CPU wafer then reduced yields are not an issue.
There's a percentage chance that chips will be damaged in the stacking process, and there's a chance for misalignment "defects" on the individual pieces that prevent them from working, even though they would have passed as standalone chips. That's what I was going for, not the base chip yield. I agree that dead chips should never enter the stacking process.
jeff_rigby said:
Shorter connections reduce capacitance which can allow lower Vcc which reduces heat and increases efficiency. The combination of both 28nm and lower Vcc could allow both GPU and CPU in one package.
The power reduction would only apply to the interface parts, not to the logic portions of the chip.
jeff_rigby said:
Everything in one package reduces labor costs. So far a win-win-win. 4 layers with the bottom layer having Southbridge, USB, programmable DSP, Audio, Video and pin count for the OBAN chip to mother board can decrease thereby increasing reliability (remember the temp cycling failures).
Which brings me to another issue that hasn't been properly considered: size mismatches between layers. All of IBM's presentations assume all chips within a stack are of the same size and shape. Which would mean you'd have to fill the simple I/O layer with lots of dead space to make it fit the other layers.

monome

=vast majority of people still buying playstations, xboxs, and nintendos.

Time will tell.

Never been fond of Sony franchises, hated anything MS and loved Nintendo.
Now I love Uncharted, have several XBOXs and a Windows phone, finally sold my Wii and will not get a new one and barely plays 3DS.

I love games and I will support the companies that provide me games I like

kuroshiki

Time will tell.

Never been fond of Sony franchises, hated anything MS and loved Nintendo.
Now I love Uncharted, have several XBOXs and a Windows phone, finally sold my Wii and will not get a new one and barely plays 3DS.

I love games and I will support the companies that provide me games I like

Console world doesn't really work like rest of the industry.

McHuj

There's a percentage chance that chips will be damaged in the stacking process, and there's a chance for misalignment "defects" on the individual pieces that prevent them from working, even though they would have passed as standalone chips.

That's true. It all depends on the yields for each process. If you have poor manufacturing
yields for very large chips it may make sense to make a 3D stack of smaller chips. The overall yield of that process has potential to be better than that of the large die. The smaller the initial chip, the less sense it takes to stack. See slides: 8-10

Stacking chips won't make it to either Wii U or 720. They haven't even finished development yet.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=37578976&postcount=1549

Of note is a PDF from the April GSA global memory conference that shows 3D stacked and Ultra wide 3D stacked memory attached to logic in Game Console SOCs manufactured in 2013-2014.

In a AMD Fusion APU both the X86 CPU (in our rumored PS4 2 CPU cores and 400 GPU cores) and GP GPU can be used as a CPU. Combined they exceed the performance of 24-30 Cell SPUs and with other efficiencies discussed may be 113% more efficient at some tasks....that's equal to 60 SPUs or at some tasks 1200 times faster than a X86 processor alone. Far from weak this supports another model (CPU bound UE4) for games. (Example: bundled Ray tracing for lighting)

This is why I think rumors of Xbox 720 having 2 GPUs suggest Microsoft is also going to have a Fusion CPU-GPU plus second GPU. 4 X86 or 16 PPC or even 24 SPUs pale in comparison to a Fusion CPU-GPU.

Early leaks only mentioned one or both might go with AMD X86 processors and AMD GPUs. Without the Fusion of the two it does not make sense, PPUs + GPGPU or Cell + GPGPU makes more sense. My bad for not being up on AMD Fusion (HSA) & Fabric computing and what it brings to the table. Nvidia is combining an ARM CPU core with a GPGPU to offer the same Fusion and resulting efficiencies.

It's possible that IBM is providing a PPU + AMD GPU fusion chip, AMD has said this is possible for a ARM + AMD fusion or any CPU.

The OBAN mentioned as being used by IBM to produce the Xbox 720 can be what it was named for, a blank that is written on or rather a LARGE substrate with bumps upon which 3D stacked and 3D wafers are 2.5D attached. With proper software design tools and standards (IBM, Global Foundries and Samsung) for wafer sub assemblies it should be very easy to design custom SOC without large lead times. AMD has been working on this for 5 years.

According to the data gleaned from presentations by Samsung, Toshiba, AMD, and others, 3D IC assembly gives you the equivalent performance boost of 2 IC generations (assuming Dennard scaling wasn’t dead). Garrou then quoted AMD’s CTO Byran Black, who spoke at the Global Interposer Technology 2011 Workshop last month. AMD has been working on 3D IC assembly for more than five years but has intentionally not been talking about it. AMD’s 22nm Southbridge chips will probably be the last ones to be “impacted by scaling” said Black. AMD’s future belongs to partitioning of functions among chips that are process-optimized for the function (CPU, Cache, DRAM, GPU, analog, SSD) and then assembled as 3D or 2.5D stacks.
This is starting in 2012 with full production scheduled for 2013.

OBAN Japanese Coin

hist_coin13.jpg

PPUs do not require a redesign to be used in a Fusion APU but Cell's ring cache will require a redesign, an older heterogeneous (PPU + SPUs) inside a modern Heterogeneous Fusion design with Fabric computing memory model creates issues.

Wikipedia on SOC a must read. Slightly out of date as it doesn't take into account 3D wafer stacking and it's impact on SOC.
Wikipedia article on FPGA (glue logic and configuration after testing a wafer, Security and more)
Applications of FPGAs include digital signal processing, software-defined radio, aerospace and defense systems, ASIC prototyping, medical imaging, computer vision, speech recognition, cryptography, bioinformatics, computer hardware emulation, radio astronomy, metal detection and a growing range of other areas.
FPGA is the Programmable logic array mentioned by the Sony CTO for Coming Playstation Tech. The smaller the array the faster it can run (heat again) and it also benefits from a HSA design where A CPU can load pre-configured designs into the FPGA dynamically as well as (same model with a HSA GPU) pre-fetch data using the branch prediction abilities of the CPU. (Both PPU and X86 have branch prediction abilities, a SPU does not. This may have been why a PPU was included in the Cell with SPUs.)

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
This is why I think rumors of Xbox 720 having 2 GPUs suggest Microsoft is also going to have a Fusion CPU-GPU plus second GPU. 4 X86 or 16 PPC or even 24 SPUs pale in comparison to a Fusion CPU-GPU.
Alas. A Fusion CPU-GPU combo is not functionally equivalent to a fat muti-core CPU setup. While the GPU part of the combo surely beats everything else in flops, 16 CPU cores are 16 CPU cores, and there are workloads that would benefit from that and not so much from a GPGPU. Question is, what ms/sony deem important for their upcoming setups. Clearly, if it's flops then 16 CPU cores are a waste compared to a Fusion setup. If it's something else then Fusion might not cut it.

deadlast

Just saw this on engadget and it seems to be relevant to the xbox 3.

Link
The article -
Intel unveiled its Hybrid Memory Cube at IDF late last year... Now Microsoft wants in on the action: the outfit just announced that it will lend its clout to the Hybrid Memory Cube Consortium. To jog your memory, HMC technology promises seven times the efficiency of current DRR3 memory modules and is being vaunted by Intel et al. as the solution for monster systems requiring lower power usage and higher bandwidth...

press release -
"HMC technology represents a major step forward in the direction of increasing memory bandwidth and performance, while decreasing the energy and latency needed for moving data between the memory arrays and the processor cores, " said KD Hallman, General Manager of Microsoft Strategic Software/Silicon Architectures. "Harvesting this solution for various future systems could lead to better and/or novel digital experiences."

Dear god, pls, let MS delay til 2014 and deliver the messiah of beastly consoles.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=1549

Of note is a PDF from the April GSA global memory conference that shows 3D stacked and Ultra wide 3D stacked memory attached to logic in Game Console SOCs manufactured in 2013-2014.

You are also missing this:
According to the data gleaned from presentations by Samsung, Toshiba, AMD, and others, 3D IC assembly gives you the equivalent performance boost of 2 IC generations (assuming Dennard scaling wasn’t dead). Garrou then quoted AMD’s CTO Byran Black, who spoke at the Global Interposer Technology 2011 Workshop last month. AMD has been working on 3D IC assembly for more than five years but has intentionally not been talking about it. AMD’s 22nm Southbridge chips will probably be the last ones to be “impacted by scaling” said Black. AMD’s future belongs to partitioning of functions among chips that are process-optimized for the function (CPU, Cache, DRAM, GPU, analog, SSD) and then assembled as 3D or 2.5D stacks.
It makes sense given standardized building blocks mentioned above in the quote to have a design tool in place to make a blank substrate (Oban) with bumps and traces to allow the building blocks to be attached. This can reduce the time to market and allow for tweeking the design which must be the case as there are rumors of the Oban 720 chip being produced two months ago but redesign rumors last month. This is not possible any other way.

And when I quoted and used LARGE Oban substrate as a descriptor we could have a SOC that's huge and explains how Heat is going to be dissipated. Motherboard complexity is reduced and we might see some of the game consoles manufactured in the US. Again with labor costs as they are only a huge SOC with most of the Game console in one chip could the rumors of Xbox720 being made in Texas be possible.

blu said:
Alas. A Fusion CPU-GPU combo is not functionally equivalent to a fat muti-core CPU setup. While the GPU part of the combo surely beats everything else in flops, 16 CPU cores are 16 CPU cores, and there are workloads that would benefit from that and not so much from a GPGPU. Question is, what ms/sony deem important for their upcoming setups. Clearly, if it's flops then 16 CPU cores are a waste compared to a Fusion setup. If it's something else then Fusion might not cut it.
True, General Purpose PC designs are not game console designs. This was my original reason for not believing a X86 would replace Cell or PPU. I've not read anything that indicates the AMD x86-GPU fusion won't work and there is a rumor that the A8 APU Fusion (4 steamroller X86) - GPU + southern islands GPU rumored to be in PS4 Developer machines has changed and is now 2 energy efficient Jaguar X86 without FPU and with 2 megs of cache each not 4 more powerful X86 CPUs.

Donnie

Their top-of-the-line phone's processor is still outrun by Apple's.

Or IOS is simply more efficient than Android due to the fact its designed specifically for one line of phones.. Iphone 4S specs certainly don't look too impressive in comparison to Galaxy SII outside of its better GPU.

Galaxy SII:

CPU - 1.2Ghz A9
GPU - Mali-400 MP4 275Mhz (9.9Gflops)
RAM - 1GB

Iphone 4S:

CPU - 800Mhz A9
GPU - PowerVR SGX543MP 200Mhz (12.8Gflops)
RAM - 512MB

Top Bottom