• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 3 Rumor: Dev Kit Silicon In Prod, IBM CPU/HD 7000 Series GPU, 2013 Release

This was the first generation where the "wow" factor was not there from the start..

If you were playing xbox -> xbox360 on an SDTV I would agree with you. However, if you were playing on an HDTV the difference was quite striking, IMO. I had a 360 on an SDTV at launch and it looked good but nothing mindblowing. I played it on a 42" 16:9 HDTV at the store and then I was impressed. I bought an HDTV shortly thereafter.

Father of Windows NT now working on Xbox

So what about Cutler? He’s earned the right to do basically whatever he wants at Microsoft. And word is that “whatever” has something to do with the future of Xbox.

I asked Microsoft for comment and got this statement from a spokesperson:

“Dave is one of our brightest minds and is currently working on projects that will help advance our goals in the consumer space as we continue to grow the Xbox from a game-centric console to a complete home entertainment device.”

The spokesperson declined to provide any further details or say when Cutler left the Azure team. (I’m thinking it happened some time after March 2011, when his last boss, Amitabh Srivasta, left Microsoft.)

One of my contacts said to think about Cutler’s new role as focusing on moving Xbox beyond a gaming platform
. Does that simply mean he’ll be helping Microsoft do what it’s already on the path to do: To make Xbox more and more of a TV and/or settop-box replacement? Or is it something bigger, like helping Xbox also become a home videoconferencing/telepresence hub — or maybe even a whole home-automation system? (Remember, Microsoft has a HomeOS research project exploring these kinds of scenarios.)

One thing to remember is the current Xbox operating system is loosely built on NT, and Cutler knows a thing or two about that operating system…

This information seems to fit well into this thread.

guek

Banned
If you were playing xbox -> xbox360 on an SDTV I would agree with you. However, if you were playing on an HDTV the difference was quite striking, IMO. I had a 360 on an SDTV at launch and it looked good but nothing mindblowing. I played it on a 42" 16:9 HDTV at the store and then I was impressed. I bought an HDTV shortly thereafter.

Truth. I remember watching perfect dark being played on a HDtv in one of my friend's dorm rooms and I was blown away. OMG dat rezzolusheon

Good God guys.

I don't get some of you. You're looking at something so much more powerful than the systems out right now as to be comedic, and you're still unimpressed. I mean this rumor doesn't even mention RAM types or amounts. Just going by the GPU this thing would be as much a leap over the WiiU as the WiiU is over the 360.

Honestly... what do you expect? Consoles are rarely at the cutting edge. Gaming PC's were being built with double the RAM of the 360 in its launch year, not including RAM on the GPU's. But they almost always use much faster RAM than PC's. A tradeoff.

Mainly because it's damn near impossible to put some of this tech into cases as "small" as an OG 360.

7750 isn't high end, it won't even be mid end in a year.

Amd moved their naming scheme up a number remember?
If you think a 6850 equivalent gpu is a generational leap (especially for 2013 standards, it's not).

A generational leap would be 10x ish, right? not the +- 6x from this gpu.

Nintex is mad. Fall 2013 confirmed. Wouldn't be surprised if they don't reveal it this e3 and wait till early 2013 instead.
Until we've got a date set I'm still in the Nintex boat.

I don't see MS giving Nintendo a year. So if it doesn't launch this fall, next spring is the more likely window.

I remember being stunned by Kameo on an HDTV at a Gamestop. I hadn't really kept up with the next-gen news - the textures and lighting were just ridiculous to me. So the 'wow' factor was there for some.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
I remember being stunned by Kameo on an HDTV at a Gamestop. I hadn't really kept up with the next-gen news - the textures and lighting were just ridiculous to me. So the 'wow' factor was there for some.

I remember when I saw COD 2 on a sharp aquos

I was like O_O

If you think a 6850 equivalent gpu is a generational leap (especially for 2013 standards, it's not).

It's a large enough leap to me. I have differing ideas of what constitutes a generational leap than most of you it seems. If games wouldn't have been possible at their fidelity on the prior hardware? Generational leap. BF3 PC is a generational leap from BF3 360.

Until we've got a date set I'm still in the Nintex boat.

I don't see MS giving Nintendo a year. So if it doesn't launch this fall, next spring is the more likely window.

If it's spring 2013 then it has to be revealed at E3. Not sure if MS sees Nintendo as competition considering what they said this gen.

guek

Banned
If it's spring 2013 then it has to be revealed at E3. Not sure if MS sees Nintendo as competition considering what they said this gen.

It might be less about nintendo and more about the 360 being a dinosaur.

Also, with consumer awareness at an all time high, delaying longer than 2013 could potentially take away a lot of their momentum.

Proelite

550 - 600 m^2 soc? GG wii u.

Highly unlikely any soc will be that big. 400 m^2 is considered huge.

Maybe its more mcm than soc.

It's a large enough leap to me. I have differing ideas of what constitutes a generational leap than most of you it seems. If games wouldn't have been possible at their fidelity on the prior hardware? Generational leap. BF3 PC is a generational leap from BF3 360.

And a 6850 can't do bf3 maxed at 60 fps, not at 45 either, especially not if you want some proper AA.

But yeah bf3 60fps 1080p maxed is a generational leap. This ain't that.
(again all basing on the rumor that it could be a 7750 ish gpu)

7750 won't be some uber GPU or even a really powerful gpu, even though the 7xxx monniker might suggest it is.
edit: and if they plan on putting a 100euro MSRP gpu in a console box then it had better not cost more than 200 euros at release.

itsgreen

The 8 series isnt coming out anytime soon. They barely got the 7 series out the door and thats only the High end Card right now. If anything the 8 series will just be slightly better 7 series the way they work

The consumer graphics card equivalent of the card inside the 360 came out months after the 360 launched. And the chip inside the 360 had a more advanced architecture than that chip.

8 series will probably launch around this time next year. So if it's a march 2013 release date it makes perfectly sense for it to be a derivative of the 8 series rather than the 7 series. If it's launching november 2013 It wouldn't be impossible for it to be a 9 series chip.

I had and Xbox 360 for about a year before i took the plunge into HDTV. The cool thing was that I got excited to replay all my old games again. Call of duty looked great and so did PGR 3 and Kameo but it was when Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter when things really started heating up visually.

And a 6850 can't do bf3 maxed at 60 fps, not at 45 either, especially not if you want some proper AA.

But yeah bf3 60fps 1080p maxed is a generational leap. This ain't that.
(again all basing on the rumor that it could be a 7750 ish gpu)

7750 won't be some uber GPU or even a really powerful gpu, even though the 7xxx monniker might suggest it is.
edit: and if they plan on putting a 100euro MSRP gpu in a console box then it had better not cost more than 200 euros at release.

What a chip can do in some ones PC and what that same chip can do in a closed system like a console, are two different things. Look at the stuff that's in the PS360 now, neither of those cards in a PC would come close to producing what they're doing in their respective systems.

squidyj

Can I just say that this is my favorite part of the cycle? the rumor part, the only problem is that I'm not sure I have enough popcorn to last me.

[Nintex]

I had and Xbox 360 for about a year before i took the plunge into HDTV. The cool thing was that I got excited to replay all my old games again. Call of duty looked great and so did PGR 3 and Kameo but it was when Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter when things really started heating up visually.

I think the next gen feeling started at the embassy explosion in GRAW.

Like: "Oh god, shit's blowing up, this is awesome!"

Its hilarious that we went from "Sorry console peasants, its not going to be GCN/7 series" to "7 series...Yuk".

We went from it won't be a 7xxx in the sense that high end 7xxx draw 300 W of power, noone ever said anything about entry level 7xxx cards not being a possiblity.
But then you could have said dx11 enabled equivalent of 48xx and that would have been the same thing (more or less, performance wise, you get the point) , in fact that is what was rumored to be in Wii U and people did indeed go YUCK.

Cmon don't drag things out of context.

The consumer graphics card equivalent of the card inside the 360 came out months after the 360 launched. And the chip inside the 360 had a more advanced architecture than that chip.

8 series will probably launch around this time next year. So if it's a march 2013 release date it makes perfectly sense for it to be a derivative of the 8 series rather than the 7 series. If it's launching november 2013 It wouldn't be impossible for it to be a 9 series chip.

If it is an SOC, then that means they are already producing the chip according to the rumor. The rumor says they started at the end of 2011.

I don't get it, a few months ago we get a rumor that MS held a gathering at Disney Land after E3 to get feedback from the developers, and now they already have the final hardware in production and plan to wait almost 2 years before launching?

Something doesn't sound right about any of this. Maybe they are producing early dev kits for developers?

Some would argue the Xbox 360 came out too early with not enough testing. Maybe after having a billion dollar coverage for RROD systems Microsoft wants to make sure this thing works.

http://www.businessinsider.com/micr...chnical-geniuses-on-xbox-2012-1#ixzz1jrBqAlDd
Microsoft Just Put One Of Its Hardcore Technical Geniuses On Xbox

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft...ather-of-windows-nt-now-working-on-xbox/11684
I asked Microsoft for comment and got this statement from a spokesperson:

“Dave is one of our brightest minds and is currently working on projects that will help advance our goals in the consumer space as we continue to grow the Xbox from a game-centric console to a complete home entertainment device.”

The original Xbox's operating system was built on a fork of the Windows NT kernel, so Cutler is most likely working on the next generation console, which will probably come out in 2014 or 2015, according to various rumors and reports.

This gets me excited. I would have been excited if they planned on using 6970/580 level GPUs so I would cream my pants if the Radeon 7000 GPU rumor turned out to be true.

Radeon 7000 series GPU + closed system + optimization = randymarshectoplasm.jpg

Chittagong

Gold Member
Thought I'd repost my leak timeline. Updated

Here's a full timeline of how Xbox 360 leaked.

24 June 2004. Xenon specs leaked

16 March 2005. The name Xbox 360 was leaked via focus groups for product marketing.

10 April 2005. The controller leaked by a developer working on a launch game.

26 April 2005. Xbox 360 console design leaked via a Swedish magazine who published the device images given to them under NDA too early. Some closeup pictures were leaked on purpose via The Colony ARG.

7 May 2005. Further details of accessories, console and game screens are leaked from the MTV preview event filming.

12 May 2005. Xbox 360 is officially unveiled.

2 December 2005. Xbox 360 is released.

All these leaks are entirely avoidable with some proper corporate security and leak prevention planning. In contrast - Sony leaked nothing (not the console design, dildorang, game details, specs, logo, name... nothing).

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

Even now, I think current gen consoles are more memory limited than anything.

And yeah, a 6850 level GPU would be a huge leap over what the consoles are rolling with now. It's apples and oranges, but I think even the 7900GT comparisons are extremely flattering to the current consoles. Sega pulled VF5 off with a Geforce 6800.

XBOX had nothing in Nov 2005, XBOX 360 has HALO 4. It's going to be the same situation as last gen where HALO 2 launch in 2004 and 1 year later XBOX 360 released.
I think it's going to be fully compatible with Fusion though, with a few features when playing it on Fusion that you don't get on 360. You get legacy sales and new console sales.

Top Bottom