• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 3 Rumor: Dev Kit Silicon In Prod, IBM CPU/HD 7000 Series GPU, 2013 Release

Smokey

That's like top of the line 2012 PC stuff. Being able to play BF3 and Witcher 2 the way they were meant to be played with most if not all of the graphical extras turned on.

So..grossly more powerful than a 360.

Depends on what 7000 series we're talking...for example there's zero chance of a 7970 being in this machine.

Still it should be a huge upgrade over the 360.

did earlier 360 games run @ 60 fps? I'm honestly curious.

Not sure, but what I do remember is that a lot of early games had shitty bump mapping to make everything look next-gen and had models with shitty modelling/texturing as well as not so great animation.

All you have to do is look at this to remember how shitty things were:
wallguy-screen.jpg

itsgreen

Weren't they shipping out Apple G5 towers initially for dev kits? I did a quick google search and this is what I came up with: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8096/Xbox-360-Development-Kit-Spotted/
xdk.jpg

These things were spotted in 2005, so its possible they didn't even have proper Xbox 360 dev kits as late as the start of 2005. So given that, they are probably father along (or at least keeping pace) in the hardware process if they are already manufacturing devkits assuming a Q2 2013 release.

Yeah Dev Kits based on PPC were only distributed after the unveiling... But they had things to show during the unveiling... or target footage at least...

MS probably taking things a little bit slower this time, so launch will be smoother (and less problems with beautiful red Christmas light coming from your console)

Jinko

did earlier 360 games run @ 60 fps? I'm honestly curious.

Nope, but devs will almost always push better graphics/post processing over faster frame rate.

MS aren't going to rush the release of the next Xbox on account of the Wii U. Fall 2013 is much more likely.

I'm not sure this is true, it depends on what their plans are with the 360 after the next xbox comes out, MS are more interested in taking over the living room, as for Wii U depending on its sucess could eat into that.

apana

Xbox in Spring of 2013, maybe even fall. I could easily see PS4 coming in 2014 at this rate. A year headstart for Xbox doesn't grant some kind of automatic win. If you consider the Wii U in 2012 which will kind of be in the mushy middle between Xbox 360 and Xbox Infinity, a lot of devs will probably still be making 360 level games just so they can port across a variety of platforms.

I jsut hope to god, that console architecture this time around will be more similar so first gen doesn't become multiplattform disaster again (I know quite a hyperbole with the disaster stuff.. but you get the point).

What about this rumour from OPM. Is Sony's console going to be more powerful? 9xxx series? Or may be Sony will go third party as this woman from Gaikai predicted.

I'M CONFUSED SO MANY RUMOURS.

Sony will be using Nvidia GPU.

Sony's console is *probably* going to be more powerful simply by the fact that it will be out at a later date, granting more time for die-shrinks and other similar things.

It didn't really work that way for PS3. Which was a year later and still on the same 90nm as 360. This time the time between process node advances is longer. PS4 could be two years later and on the same node.

MS doesn't have rumors. They have leaks. So leaky.

Maybe, but so many leaks we've discussed to death have been false. The whole unveiling at CES, dual GPU's spec rumor, Xbox Loop/Infinity/ARM set top box/whatever, Xbox is going to be a tablet, etc etc.

All of this is pointless. Speculation, boring, same crap over and over.

Yeah, nothing feels "real" like the initial Wii U leaks did. Remember how that went down? Multiple well regarded sources reporting the same thing. What we have so far with Xbox is just a bunch of random small time rumors with no pattern.

I will say Charlie has a bit more credibility, in some ways, than random rumormongers. Who knows. It might be true it might not.

I do believe in a IBM CPU/AMD GPU for sure, I've been saying that all along, in the face of plenty of rumors claiming otherwise. The thing that's odd is saying it's a SOC. On the surface that seems like a red flag, SOC's just aren't made 550 MM^2 big. But OTOH who knows, it could even be for performance reasons (crazy intra-chip CPU-GPU bandwidth).

Something is going down anyway though, Epic has something like dev kits, that's pretty much known. So I guess it's not that ridiculous. It all boils down too, who knows *shrug*

The thing is I think Charlie's whole OBAN deal in prior stories may just be a 360 die shrink, that he is misinterpreting rumors of. That makes the whole SOC thing make sense and fits perfectly.

itsgreen

Depends on what 7000 series we're talking...for example there's zero chance of a 7970 being in this machine.

Still it should be a huge upgrade over the 360.

They could easily use a 7970 in the first few batches of dev kits if they know that the final processor will be a 8850 and delivers similar performance at 90 watt as 7970 at 200-ish watt...

Yeah Dev Kits based on PPC were only distributed after the unveiling... But they had things to show during the unveiling... or target footage at least...

MS probably taking things a little bit slower this time, so launch will be smoother (and less problems with beautiful red Christmas light coming from your console)

The RRoD stuff happened because of the EU forcing everyone to stop using lead based solder. It happened really really late in the hardware finalization process and at that time it not only fucked up the 360 but many GPUs also suffered issues because of the change.

Smokey

They could easily use a 7970 in the first few batches of dev kits if they know that the final processor will be a 8850 and delivers similar performance at 90 watt as 7970 at 200-ish watt...

I highly doubt this.

Dunno if you're familiar with just how powerful the 7970 is...

[Nintex]

The RRoD stuff happened because of the EU forcing everyone to stop using lead based solder. It happened really really late in the manufacturing process and at that time it not only fucked up the 360 but many GPUs also suffered issues because of the change.

It happened because they cut bits and pieces of the GPU cooling system to make room for the disk drive or because the mainboard they used was too cheap or because the system overheated or....

Luckily MS has come a long way since Japanese hipsters and Allards' cult were hacking together the HD generation with underpaid Rare engineers on a 12 month deadline.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The G5 housed kits were definitely around in 2004, possibly even late 2003.

The one I remember was in a slightly different chassis though, when I was writing my post earlier I was going to mention this but due to my lack of knowledge of Apple produvts I was going to suggest it was a G4 case.

Sorry my memory sucks, but I can fix the time purely based on me knowing where I was working at that time.

Still having final silicon by the end of the year and sitting on it until the end of 2013 doesn't sound right.

I think the only reason they’re sitting on the hardware is so the third party software can catch up and costs to come down.

ppl are still pretty happy with this gen and M$ will want to their next systems software to be shown in the best possible light to convince everyone they need to upgrade.

They'll need to show that the new system is not just capable of prettier graphics but also capable of better more engaging experiences. Nintendo has taught them this.

Jinko

That could be disastrous in terms of optimsation come launch.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
[Nintex];34372880 said:
There has been no mention of DirectX 11, there's DirectX 11.1 instead and I don't see it changing any time soon.

Oh, oh, you're right, there's more talk on DirectX 11.1 releasing with Windows 8, so it's considered more of a possibility.

It's not like it will be a substantial update from its predecessor, they callously attribute numbers to the series and nobody ever uses them to their full potential.

wsippel

Banned
hardware should be finalized within the next month or two. Ubi needs to leaks more stuffs
From what I can tell, outside of some tweaks (clock speeds, RAM), it was probably finalized around June or July 2011, but didn't enter production until very recently. The Xbox 3 chipset was finalized just four or five months later according to SemiAccurate.

Theonik

isthatevenpossible.png
We won't be anywhere near double efficiency by next year. Let alone more than double.

The G5 housed kits were definitely around in 2004, possibly even late 2003.

Those weren't real devkits with the final hardware (or something close to final hardware). They were target boxes, much like what EA and Ubisoft have probably had for a long while now. I'm assuming whats being referenced in this semiaccurate article is hardware that are actual devkits thats going to be pretty similar to what they ship as final.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Cmd. Pishad'aç;34373457 said:
I predict like PS2 - Xbox1 difference between Wii U - X720...

Which is already a considerable ammount. Not massive but considerable.

That is probably a good description of it.

The Wii U will be capable enough since it has programmable shaders, but the next PlayStation and Xbox will be more powerful. Hell, if the Wii U was a more traditional console with a larger size and no tablet controller the graphics would probably be closer to parity.

That's probably not going to be happening.

Nobody actually knows, but too many assume it's fact already that both will use AMD when there's zero hard evidence of it.

The reason Sony will mostly likely use Nvidia again is simple inertia, familiarity between the two companies, backwards compatibility, the list goes on. It's the same reasons I have always expected IBM/AMD in next box. I also cant see Nvidia frozen entirely out of consoles, and we already know they're not in Wii U and assume theyre not in Xbox next...

I also think AMD producing two high end consoles could cause major issues. Doing Nintendo and Microsoft is one thing, since Nintendo doesn't compete technically. Sony and MS though, would be a whole nother ball game, imagine how much Sony would fear that AMD was tipping MS their plans for example?

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Cmd. Pishad'aç;34373750 said:

image.php

image.php

Repeat post bro lol

Jinko

Sony will tease too but it will be nothing concrete. No way they are going to take the thunder away from Vita by distracting people with PS4.

Chances are Sony will have a pre rendered trailer on hand just in case.

E3 conference will be PS3 >Vita > Vita > Vita > possible PS4 trailer depending on what MS show. (Final Fantasy 8 tech demo GO!)

DCKing

Just a quick analysis if this is true:
- The CPU is being made at IBM who are currently still stuck on 45nm
- Southern Islands chips are quite powerful, but for a console sized GPU their options are rather limited
- Both chips have the same constraints as the Wii U chips

This is actually not very good news. The only advantage this will have over the Wii U is that the consoles is likely of larger size. If this is true and these are actual production chips this console will be a port twin for the Wii U and probably be about twice as powerful in the best case...

f@luS

More than a member.
Cmd. Pishad'aç;34373457 said:

you mean between wiiU and X360 right

[Nintex]

Chances are Sony will have a pre rendered trailer on hand just in case.

E3 conference will be PS3 >Vita > Vita > Vita > possible PS4 trailer depending on what MS show. (Final Fantasy 8 tech demo GO!)

I recall that pre-emptive Motion+ shot that Nintendo did to attack MS's Motion Control stick before it was supposed to be shown(a year before Natal surfaced). In the end the project never left the graveyard of prototypes in Twycross and MS had cancelled it somewhere between fall and spring right before E3.

low-G

If the HD7000 is a good place to start with graphics, how good are we talking? I'm going to finally build a new PC in a few months and I've been out of the loop with benchmarking things.

In the first year of launch there will be several games better than anything you've ever seen before.

Top Bottom