• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 Achievements are like the greatest things ever...

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
... for people like me who never completely finish their games. Seriously. Your Gamerscore stares you in the face everytime you go into the dashboard and if you are the least bit competitive you will want to get all of the achievements for your games and improve your score. They are a great motivator. I'm actually replaying games after I finish them now. I haven't done that since RE4 in January and I can't remember the last time I actually replayed something before RE4. Mario 64 maybe.

I've been playing Hexic HD. So far I've got 9 of 12 achievements. Some of them seem impossibly hard (surround one piece with 6 black pearls) but I'm gonna try anyway.

Baron Aloha said:
... for people like me who never completely finish their games. Seriously. Your Gamerscore stares you in the face everytime you go into the dashboard and if you are the least bit competitive you will want to get all of the achievements for your games and improve your score. They are a great motivator. I'm actually replaying games after I finish them now. I haven't done that since RE4 in January and I can't remember the last time I actually replayed something before RE4. Mario 64 maybe.

I've been playing Hexic HD. So far I've got 9 of 12 achievements. So of them seem impossibly hard (surround one piece with 6 black pearls) but I'm gonna try anyway.

Yeah, I haven't even been playing Live enough due to these achievements, which is some what bad for me. Once I hit 1,000 I'll just go into Live multiplayer more often. (200 points Remaining!)

Speevy said:
You have no idea how many dead birds are stored in my console.

:lol Speaking of dead birds, I felt robbed when all those birds came flying through the window and died on the floor just so they can all disappear. =(

bill0527

I'm finding them to be a little ridiculous and I hope people don't take them too seriously.

Some games, like Madden and NBA Live '06, basically give you achievement points for turning the console on. There are several games out there where Achievement gets thrown around like candy. People are already posting exploits over at IGN on how to exploit some of the sports games to rack up achievement scores.

I've had my Xbox360 for 1 week now and I've got a nice big score of 110. Why? Because I purchased CoD2, PGR3, and PD0 at launch and I haven't even really touched PD0. Its not hard getting achievement in PGR3, but it is hella time consuming and in CoD2, 10 of the 13 achievements can only be reached by playing and finishing the game on Veteran difficulty, which is a very, very tough accomplishment to pull off. To me, if you can beat every level in CoD2 on veteran, than you've earned some serious achievement. If you're exploiting sports games, then you're nothing but a stat whore like 98% of the jackholes populating Live.

Mrbob

bill0527 said:
I'm finding them to be a little ridiculous and I hope people don't take them too seriously.

Some games, like Madden and NBA Live '06, basically give you achievement points for turning the console on. There are several games out there where Achievement gets thrown around like candy. People are already posting exploits over at IGN on how to exploit some of the sports games to rack up achievement scores.

I've had my Xbox360 for 1 week now and I've got a nice big score of 110. Why? Because I purchased CoD2, PGR3, and PD0 at launch and I haven't even really touched PD0. Its not hard getting achievement in PGR3, but it is hella time consuming and in CoD2, 10 of the 13 achievements can only be reached by playing and finishing the game on Veteran difficulty, which is a very, very tough accomplishment to pull off. To me, if you can beat every level in CoD2 on veteran, than you've earned some serious achievement. If you're exploiting sports games, then you're nothing but a stat whore like 98% of the jackholes populating Live.

Haha yeah some of the sports games are ridiculously easy to get achievements. NBA 2K6 especially. You can get all your achievements in one game practically!

I like the idea of achievements though. Helps with the replayability factor.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Ok, so let's see why these achievements are so cool. I dont have the 360 yet, but I've been thinking about this since they were announced. What are they? Special tasks to accomplish in order to get something more from the game. Which is like what games have been doing in the last 30 years or so with unlockable stuff and so. But what do u get here, on Xbox 360, when you get those achievements? Do you unlock anything special like new cars in PGR3 or new online characters for PDZ? Cos if it's just points you get then this sounds more like a revival of the HI-SCORE "gotta beat that AAA guy at the top" addiction we had back in the arcades. Sounds really interesting from a psycological and sociological point of view.

So, what do you guys think is great about this achievements thing? Why do they push you to the limit more than the desire to unlock secrets? Is that the "going public" factor?

PS: could be cool if you can get some money (Microsoft Points) upon completing all of the achievements of a given game btw. A little bit :)

Rorschach

Wow guyz look at Wario'sz

wario64cod28bc.jpg

Fifty

Now that's impressive. I've got a high gamerscore thanks to sports games, but seeing something like that is pretty cool. Playing on veteran is even harder (at least for me) than Legendary in Halo. That's actually hard to believe, that he beat them all that fast...How many hours did you play each day Wario?

ChrisReid

bill0527 said:

To me, if you can beat every level in CoD2 on veteran, than you've earned some serious achievement. If you're exploiting sports games, then you're nothing but a stat whore like 98% of the jackholes populating Live.

To me, I'm only even going to bother looking at the gamer score of my friends, and none of the people on my friends lists are jerks who care about artifically screwing around with that sort of thing. With 98% of the xbox live popular firmly out of mind, the game achievement points are a pretty neat motivator and comparison thing.

VALIS

I was also grinding through the veteran difficulty in CoD2 until I put the game away for a few days to play other titles. These Achievements are a lot cooler than I thought they'd be. Didn't think I'd give a shit, but as it turns out, if you're gonna play the game, why not play it with Achievements in mind? I don't think I would've played CoD2 on veteran otherwise, which is too bad since it's a different experience on this difficulty level.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Baron Aloha said:
:lol

Yeah, me too. I was like "oh, gimme, gimme, gimme!!" and they disappeared and I was like "wtf?".

:lol I thought the same thing. :lol "Oh yes not I've finally found them all! Right on. *looks around* Hey where did they all go?" :lol

edit: just read the Elder Scrolls remark. Gasp I can not imagine all the little achievements that game will have.

But I'm totally in love with the achievements so far. I'm almost at a gamer score of 1500 cause I finished King Kong. That got me 1000. Good start.
First one to 10,000 is.... the person that needs to spend more time outside I guess. :D

I only wish they labeled you the more points you get.
Example.

0-100 - Newbie
100-500 - Beginner
500-1,000 - Amateur and so on.

It's fine either way.

vitaflo

iceDragon7 said:
I only wish they labeled you the more points you get.
Example.

0-100 - Newbie
100-500 - Beginner
500-1,000 - Amateur and so on.

It's fine either way.

10,000+ - Get a life, loser.

aaaaa0

bill0527 said:

It's not that bad, because you can drill down on xbox.com and see which achievements any particular person has gotten.

So it's not hard to see if a high scoring person is milking achivements from sports games or is actually earning the really tough accomplishments.

Also, it's a good thing each game maxxes out at 1000 points -- it prevents people from milking one game for too long.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Where can I view a list of achivements for each game?

Tellaerin

TTP said:
Ok, so let's see why these achievements are so cool. I dont have the 360 yet, but I've been thinking about this since they were announced. What are they? Special tasks to accomplish in order to get something more from the game. Which is like what games have been doing in the last 30 years or so with unlockable stuff and so. But what do u get here, on Xbox 360, when you get those achievements? Do you unlock anything special like new cars in PGR3 or new online characters for PDZ? Cos if it's just points you get then this sounds more like a revival of the HI-SCORE "gotta beat that AAA guy at the top" addiction we had back in the arcades. Sounds really interesting from a psycological and sociological point of view.

So, what do you guys think is great about this achievements thing? Why do they push you to the limit more than the desire to unlock secrets? Is that the "going public" factor?

To me, it seems like an effort to create a substitute for unlockables, because the kind of content that's traditionally been unlockable in games (extra weapons and characters, alternate skins/models, etc.) is exactly the kind of thing they want to start selling separately. So now instead of having us shoot for goals to earn tangible in-game rewards, they'll be appealing to the competitive instincts of players by handing out virtual achievement awards for bragging rights instead. As far as I'm concerned, they're a poor substitute for unlockables, simply because I don't give two shits what other people think of my gaming achievements. I'd rather have the satisfaction of earning some in-game reward that's going to appeal to me.

And then people wonder why I don't like this crap.

LakeEarth

The Faceless Master said:
kameo gives away 600 points like candy.. all you do is beat the game!
That's still like 10 hours worth of play, or 60 points per hour. I say that's pretty fair, especially considering the other 400 points aren't as easy to obtain (well not the co-op ones, but the score attack ones aren't easy).

LakeEarth said:
That's still like 10 hours worth of play, or 60 points per hour. I say that's pretty fair, especially considering the other 400 points aren't as easy to obtain (well not the co-op ones, but the score attack ones aren't easy).
yeah i was about to say the co-op ones are easy as pie too, got them all with a second controlelr idle!

Tellaerin

terrene said:
No they don't.

Would you prefer, 'And then people jump to asinine conclusions about why I don't like this crap, fueled by their knee-jerk shift into fanboy defense mode the instant I say something remotely critical of the company they've sworn allegiance to'? Because that's the other reaction I seem to run into here. :)

Ryudo

My opinion? USED.
Tellaerin said:
To me, it seems like an effort to create a substitute for unlockables, because the kind of content that's traditionally been unlockable in games (extra weapons and characters, alternate skins/models, etc.) is exactly the kind of thing they want to start selling separately. So now instead of having us shoot for goals to earn tangible in-game rewards, they'll be appealing to the competitive instincts of players by handing out virtual achievement awards for bragging rights instead. As far as I'm concerned, they're a poor substitute for unlockables, simply because I don't give two shits what other people think of my gaming achievements. I'd rather have the satisfaction of earning some in-game reward that's going to appeal to me.

And then people wonder why I don't like this crap.

Cant we have both rewards (unlockables) and achievements ? They also expanded on the unlockables idea with their DLC which was mostly free.

Ryudo said:
Cant we have both rewards (unlockables) and achievements ? They also expanded on the unlockables idea with their DLC which was mostly free.

Tellaerin said we can't then he got all huffy when called on it. You better listen to him.

~l2e

LakeEarth

The Faceless Master said:
yeah i was about to say the co-op ones are easy as pie too, got them all with a second controlelr idle!
Ehh I don't even think those are worth doing, they're what, 10 points each?

Tellaerin

Letter to Elise said:
Tellaerin said we can't then he got all huffy when called on it. You better listen to him.

~l2e

Who called me on anything? That would imply an actual discussion of my post. All I saw was a snide remark from Terrene, and now one from you, which pretty much exemplifies the sort of reactions I was talking about.

Ryudo said:

I'd like to see things go that way, but I'm worried that it won't, and that we're seeing the groundwork being laid now for companies to 'sell more stuff'. It just seems like an exploitative direction things're moving in, and I don't like it. I sincerely hope Sony doesn't jump onto the DLC bandwagon whole-hog with the PS3 too, but I'm starting to lose hope here. Corporate greed > all. =/

Rhindle

Tellaerin said:
Would you prefer, 'And then people jump to asinine conclusions about why I don't like this crap, fueled by their knee-jerk shift into fanboy defense mode the instant I say something remotely critical of the company they've sworn allegiance to'? Because that's the other reaction I seem to run into here. :)
See the thing is, you're quite deranged. So I think people react to that a bit.

Tellaerin

Rhindle said:
See the thing is, you're quite deranged. So I think people react to that a bit.

Let's not start, Rhindle. A MS rep could knife you in the chest in front of a dozen witnesses, and you'd probably wave off the cops and insist that he was just giving you free open heart surgery. :p

Tellaerin said:
Who called me on anything? That would imply an actual discussion of my post. All I saw was a snide remark from Terrene, and now one from you, which pretty much exemplifies the sort of reactions I was talking about.

So which company have I sworn allegiance to"?

Truth is you no have no evidence to support your lunatic claims of the death of unlockables.

Achivements are in addition to unlockables. Until its proven otherwise, you shouldn't jump in with nonsense.

~l2e

Tellaerin

Letter to Elise said:
So which company have I sworn allegiance to"?

Truth is you no have no evidence to support your lunatic claims of the death of unlockables.

Achivements are in addition to unlockables. Until its proven otherwise, you shouldn't jump in with nonsense.

~l2e

I love the way some of you are rushing to throw words like 'lunatic' around when somebody disagrees with you. I guess when all else fails, it's time to try smearing someone on a personal level - it's certainly less work than actually mustering up a decent counterargument, eh?

As far as 'jumping in with nonsense', the fact that achievements are being positioned to play the same role that unlockables traditionally have in games, but without the actual unlockable content that goes with them, seems pretty self-evident. And considering the type of content that's involved, and MS' stated intentions of making that type of content available for sale as DLC (and some companies' interest in boosting their bottom line with such downloads), it's really not some sort of huge jump to draw a connection.

I'm sorry if you don't like my reasoning, but based on what we know, it's hardly lunacy. And I'm also sorry if you feel that I should keep quiet until things have shifted strongly in that direction before I express my displeasure, but that's not my problem. I'd rather people be vocal about what they dislike now on the off-chance that publishers will think twice about how far they'll go to gouge consumers, rather than sit by quietly and have the hollow pleasure of saying 'I told you so, l2e' a couple of years down the line. :p

rastex

Banned
Tellaerin said:
I love the way some of you are rushing to throw words like 'lunatic' around when somebody disagrees with you.

No no, we label people as lunatics when they go into thread after thread month after month saying the EXACT. SAME. THING. You want to know why that makes you a lunatic, you don't learn from your experience. Obviously the people in this thread (and the 100s of others you infest) don't agree with you, and yet for some reason, in your insane world you STILL think you can change people's minds, or at the very least think they care about what you have to say. They don't. Nobody does. Even the people that AGREE with you are probably sick of hearing your same crap over and over again.

Uncle

Ryudo said:

I wonder if they could combine the two. Beat a certain achievement and get some nice free DLC.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Kameo has a bunch of unlockables - boss fight mode, alternate skins, movie viewer, etc. These are in addition to the achievement goals. First party game also.

LakeEarth

KingJ2002 said:
easy game to get rep = kameo

hard game to get rep = ridge racer 6
Kameo is nothing. NBA2k6 gives hundreds of points for things that can easily be achieved as long as you actually remember to set out to do it. 200 points for 140 points, might sound hard, but crank the difficulty to easiest (does it even have to be against the AI?) and have the time on maximum and it isn't that hard at all. At least the 600 points Kameo gives are for about 10 hours worth of gaming.

jedimike

I have limited play time so far (just got my 360 last night), but the one game I spent a lot of time (Outpost Kaloki X) gave both achievements and unlockables. I got a gamer picture.

LakeEarth

={<SMOKE>}= said:
what do you do with these points?
Go "LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT MY POINTS! I RULE! I FUCKING RULE AND I'M BETTER THAN YOU! YEAH! THAT'S RIGHT, CHECK OUT MY GAMER CARD! ITS ALL RIGHT THERE!!

... BITCHES!"

And that's about it.

jedimike

={<SMOKE>}= said:
what do you do with these points?

It's not even really about the points. It's more about completing a challenge and having absolute proof. See Wario64 above. It adds an insane amount of replay value to a game. Achievements aren't just about completing a level on the hardest difficulty. Some achievements are like staying alive for 120 seconds on Wave 1 on Joust. It sounds easy... until you try doing it.

Top Bottom