• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox 360 internal HD-DVD drive *is* coming?

sangreal

GhaleonEB said:
for the love of god - I hope this is bogus. If MS mentions it at X06 I'm going to barf.

yes, I agree. Please Microsoft do not do anything to improve the 360 package because I chose to buy my 360 a year ago

Last Hope

If a bare bones drive is anywhere as big as the USB unit is, this thing willl be bigger than a PS3.

I would not mind buying one (if the price was right) as my first Xbox but since I already have one, I will pass.

shpankey

not an idiot
mrklaw said:
Sony: "we have a bluray player in our PS3. It plays HD movies. Its the future!"

MS: "screw that. We're much cheaper. you don't need that for games".

MS: "We have a HD-DVD player in our 360. It plays HD movies. Its the future!"
notice how MSFT has two different bases covered to Sony's one?

JoJo13 said:
WOW!! If this is true, M$ will be seen as pretty damn pathetic and the X360 as another Dreamcast. :lol

Wow indeed. This thread isn't going down a hill, it's jumping off a cliff into a horse's anus and hitting jagged rocks along the way.

shpankey

not an idiot
PepsimanVsJoe said:
Wow indeed. This thread isn't going down a hill, it's jumping off a cliff into a horse's anus and hitting jagged rocks along the way.
only to land on a trampoline and bounce all the way back up; currently we are on the cusp of going back down again.

This will hurt the Xbox 360 just like the Panasonic Q hurt the GameCube, the Pioneer LaserActive hurt the Genesis, and the 'PSX' hurt the PS2.

Game over, Microsoft.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
DCharlie said:
Mac... why don't you ever make statements? you only pose questions!

BE ASSERTIVE!

This DOES make MS LOOK WORSE ! just make the statement!
your posting history is just a LONG list of questions - projection is not good! Take a hold man, shoot the gun, don't question it!

I ask questions because I was never a Xbox owner. I don't know what it's like to own a 360.

neptunes

meh, I have as long as developers don't design games around that SKU configuration then I couldn't care less.

Though I do see how people would have liked this option earlier, but how financially feasible would that have been? With the price of HD-DVD drives and HDD's... it would have probably costed more than a ps3 had it came out last year.

Mark Gonzales said:
Yep..and most people think Sony steals ideas. This is a pathetic attempt by MS to use HD-DVD as a bullet point for the console.

Not you again!

::Throws laptop on the floor and elbow drops it::

JoJo13 said:
WOW!! If this is true, M$ will be seen as pretty damn pathetic and the X360 as another Dreamcast. :lol

dead3cl3rlka2sy3.gif

thirty

Banned
MS will release a 250 gig hard drive for $99 and open up the floodgates for HD downloading/digital downloading of games before they release games on HD DVD. the writing is on the wall for the future of media already. I laugh at all the fools getting all riled up about BR and HD DVD options. If both options fail to capture the masses, which they are looking to be doing as of now, who's in the better position to deal with it? MICROSOFT. they havent shoved an unproven costly format in their box and they arent forcing it inside of a machine whos main purpose is to play GAMES.

JoJo13

Banned
hadareud said:
that i$ $urely a po$$ibility. but I don't think $o to be hone$t.
Are you thinkking about the Dreamcast's DVD add-on idea or Dreamcast failing or both, because I'm just talking about the add-on idea?

Pimpwerx

hadareud said:
yep. But rumours are that 96MB of PS3's 512 are used by the OS, compared to 32MB by 360's OS.

Nobody confirmed yet if this is the case in the final retail units though - it could be just for the Dev Kits.
*sigh* Maybe someone needs to finally say it, but the two systems are gonna be using completely different formats, so they'll never be bit-identical, no matter what. So despite having a larger OS, there's no telling what the rest of the game code requires, what kind of compression each system employs or what the ratios of various types of data are gonna be. IOW, it's a complete crapshoot claiming that there's less texture data, and this is ignoring that we're talking about a rumor.

The other thing is that with HDD being standard, devs can write engines that use a more dynamic texture cache b/c it will be much easier to stream that stuff from an HDD than a DVD. But hey, this is Major Nelson levels of FUD we're talking about here. PEACE.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
What is this thing winds up being the same price with a Direct TV membership? Or they rent the 360 to you month to month like cable companies do with their DVR's? Could wind up being a very clever way of getting casuals on board gaming.

Sadly I live in a condo and can't get direct TV, but if Time Warner signed a similar deal where I could use my 360 as my cable box, DVR, game system, HDDVD movie player and link up with Windows Vista as a media center I would jump all the hell over that.

What would keep me from jumping on board is my wait and see approach to this HD format war.

mckmas8808 said:
Okay that's not nice.

dead3cl3rlka2sy3.gif

And **** this is an ugly bastard. What is it from?
Braindead AKA Dead Alive (in the US).

great film if you haven't seen it. really over the top gory comedy type horror film. early Peter 'Lord of the Rings' Jackson film.

Pimpwerx

chinch said:
games on HD-DVD would be STUPID...

but keep in mind the possibility of "combo discs" where something like new Halo could play on any 360 (using the DVD layer of the disc) and have HD-DVD layer readable by the 360media versions.

too many unkowns to reasonably speculate.

we just have alot of people hoping and wishing for another sega-cd (to which this is an absurd comparison)
If you could use a singly hybrid disc, then you wouldn't even need the HD-DVD layer. The game would have to be small enough to fit on a single DVD in the first place, otherwise it would be a multi-disc game and written accordingly. The comparison to 32X and SegaCD come to mind, but only if MS makes the mistake of putting games on the format. Otherwise, it's just another accessory, and not a big deal. The new SKU is more a marketing mess than anything. PEACE.

"Black Xbox 360
250 GB HDD
Developed by Directv and Microsoft
HDMI built in
Integrated Wireless Support
Built in HD-DVD Player

Priced within $100 of the $599 PS3"

So tell me if I got it right, same M$ that sells wi-fi adapter and 20 GB HDD for 99$, and HD-DVD drive for around 200$, will now offer this much for such low price? I sure feel screwed with my X360 premium purchase if that's true, and I would feel screwed by SONY if I'd buy PS3 already.

I love how people have already determined how Microsoft is going to market this after reading a one sentence mention of the manufacturing of the console. I dont think any of us know whether this is going to replace the Core SKU or if its going to be a specialized console like the PSX.

Im pretty sure everyone can agree that if its going to replace the Core SKU then Microsoft is going to make HD-DVD games at some point.

Lortnoc Egamad said:
"Black Xbox 360
250 GB HDD
HDMI built in
Built in HD-DVD Player

So tell me if I got it right, same M$ that sells wi-fi adapter and 20 GB HDD for 99$, and HD-DVD drive for around 200$, will now offer this much for such low price? I sure feel screwed with my X360 premium purchase if that's true, and I would feel screwed by SONY if I'd buy PS3 already.

I would take "Priced within $100 of the $599 PS3" to mean it costs $699.

Effulgence said:
I would take "Priced within $100 of the $599 PS3" to mean it costs $699.
Yes, which means that it would be the most valuable option available.

250GB HDD, HD-DVD player, built in wi-fi - the only thing it lacks when compared to PS3 premium pack are flash memory slots.

Please M$ make it so I can have this multimedia monster under my TV.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Oh wow, 4 pages of FUD about an unconfirmed rumor. What a surprise. This is like yesterday when a single piece of software having a squished font turned into a hardware bash-fest/HDTV panic party.

Anyway, here's your morning shot of facts:

* MS is not making HD DVD a requirement for games.
* Halo 3 will not require a freaking HD DVD drive.
* The end.

Tieno

Stinkles said:

* The end.
Halo 3 Blu-Ray?

PipBoy

Banned
Lortnoc Egamad said:
"Black Xbox 360
250 GB HDD
HDMI built in
Built in HD-DVD Player

yeah, price of videogame electronics drop with time, **** you M$ !

mrklaw

MrArseFace
thirty said:
MS will release a 250 gig hard drive for $99 and open up the floodgates for HD downloading/digital downloading of games before they release games on HD DVD. the writing is on the wall for the future of media already. I laugh at all the fools getting all riled up about BR and HD DVD options. If both options fail to capture the masses, which they are looking to be doing as of now, who's in the better position to deal with it? MICROSOFT. they havent shoved an unproven costly format in their box and they arent forcing it inside of a machine whos main purpose is to play GAMES.

Yes, because I enjoy spending 18 hours downloading a 15GB movie, and only being able to store 15 movies on my HDD before deleting some.

A 'disc player' sitting under your TV is *way* more user friendly to the mass market than downloading. Not everyone is leet like you.

HD/bluray will replace DVD, and will probably not need replacing. So it will eventually become the standard for your home collection.

*eventually*, video on demand will eventually become a popular way of watching movies. possibly including push-VOD where the movie is downloaded to a STB overnight without you doing anything. But even current PPV isn't huge compared to DVD purchases, so people like real discs.

snatches

I just want to repeat that I don't understand why MS didn't steer clear of the next gen media issue altogether. They had taken the high road, and when the backlash happened about Sony's pricing they should have jumped on this pr miracle and run with it. The way they seem so intent on "playing catch-up" and making this an issue just adds fuel to the fire that Sony had the right idea going with a next gen format. I don't believe this, but it is the perception that they are giving. MS current sales results should be convincing them that gamers want less expensive game machines, not all-in-wonder super boxes for HDTV's.

****ing idiots. Run with your advantages don't shit on them.

GhaleonEB

sangreal said:
yes, I agree. Please Microsoft do not do anything to improve the 360 package because I chose to buy my 360 a year ago
More like, please don't do anything that ****s up the potential success of the system, because I would like the 360 to be successful. Dual-SKU is a difficult proposition, IMO. Triple-SKU? Toss in the holiday bundle and you're quad-SKU. Talk about messing up you marketing message. Barfalona indeed.

Arsenal

sol_bad said:
I've never understood why Microsoft even bothered with HD-DVD. Honestly they had no reason what so ever to jump onto the HD movie band wagon.

The primary reason is that is forces Sony to commit even more to Blu-Ray. Sony is being backed into a corner now, they have very little wiggle room. Because of the format war (largely instigated and validated by Microsoft), they have had to make commitments to Blu-Ray that put them at the point of no return a long time ago. If there was no such thing as HD DVD or if it was not seen as a valid competitor, then there would be very little urgency for Sony to put Blu-Ray into the PS3 (or they could delay the launch of the console even more).

Its like the arms race between the US and the USSR during the cold war. Lots of talk, lots of posturing, and eventually one side collapses under the weight of all the commitments they have made but cannot deliver on.

Mrbob

Stinkles said:
Oh wow, 4 pages of FUD about an unconfirmed rumor. What a surprise. This is like yesterday when a single piece of software having a squished font turned into a hardware bash-fest/HDTV panic party.

* The end.

Not a requirement, but if a developer would choose to also make a HD DVD as a second version is this possible? I'm seriousssssss here. I don't care about all the complainers, I'll buy a single disc HD DVD game instead of a two disc DVD game and it would help me make the push to buy a HD DVD drive.

KillJade

Banned
i remember the good ol' days when you went to go buy a console you only had a choice of console "X". now it's console "X1", "X2" "X2.5", "X2.5 Revised". i feel so ripped off now. HD-DVD should have been inlcuded from the get go. and as much as many of you will deny it, their trying to play catch up with Sony.

Top Bottom