• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Closes a Milestone Year in 2016 with an Exceptional Year Ahead for Gamers

This should be fun, lol.

Happy New Year!

As we start off the new year, we thought we would take some time to look back at a great 2016 and look forward to what will be an exceptional 2017 for Xbox gamers.

We were privileged to celebrate the 15-year anniversary of Xbox in November, but what made 2016 most special was laying out our vision for gaming at E3 2016, delivering a new version of Xbox One along with great new games and services for you to play on the device(s) of your choice and seeing terrific response from gamers worldwide this holiday. In fact, in November and December we saw Xbox Live engagement reach an all-time high of 3.9 billion hours, up 23 percent compared to the prior year. Thank you!

Looking back, we reached a number of exciting milestones in 2016, including:

Xbox One owners enjoyed nearly 400 new games to play in 2016, including critically-acclaimed console exclusives like Gears of War 4 and Forza Horizon 3.

Forza Horizon 3 became the best-selling, highest-rated racing game in 2016 and the biggest Forza launch to date. The Forza franchise continues to grow and has now seen well over 14 million players on Xbox One and Windows 10.

Gears of War 4 launched to critical acclaim (Game Informer: 9.25/10, IGN: 9.2/10, Polygon: 9/10) and has had a tremendous reception for its campaign, Horde 3.0 and Versus Multiplayer experiences – all of which are delivered in High Dynamic Range (Xbox One S), 4K (Windows 10) and support cross-play as an Xbox Play Anywhere title. We are seeing incredible engagement on Xbox Live with nearly 23 million Versus Multiplayer and Horde matches played since launch, as well as within the eSports world, where the Gears eSports Pro Circuit has marked the franchise’s dramatic return with a more-than-$1,000,000 prize pool.

The Xbox Play Anywhere program launched, which enables gamers to play a growing list of titles like Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, ReCore, Killer Instinct: Definitive Edition, Everspace and Astroneer on Xbox One and on Windows 10 PC at no additional cost. You can pick up where you left off on either device, bringing all your saves, game add-ons and achievements with you.

Xbox One owners enjoyed more than 265 million hours playing Xbox 360 games in 2016, including highly-requested titles like Red Dead Redemption, Call of Duty 2, Call of Duty 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Call of Duty: World at War, Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Skate 3, via Xbox One Backward Compatibility.

It was a big year for the Minecraft community with the launch of Minecraft: Education Edition as well as the release of Minecraft to new platforms such as Gear VR, Oculus Rift and Apple TV. In addition, 150 new features were added to Minecraft from more than two dozen updates.

With new titles for Windows 10 and growth in Windows 10 devices, gamers played more than 2.5 billion hours just in November 2016, which is a 127 percent increase compared to November 2015.

Xbox Live was rated the fastest, most reliable gaming network in an independent study by IHS Markit in the U.S. and U.K.

New system updates on Xbox One and the Xbox app brought Clubs and Looking for Group (LFG) on Xbox Live, as well as Cortana and Background Music. Since the release of Xbox One in 2013, over 200 new features have been added.

Fans created over 2.4 million personalized Xbox Wireless Controller designs via Xbox Design Lab in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico.

Last but not least, we launched Xbox One S, delivering the only console with built-in UHD 4K Blu-ray, 4K video streaming and HDR for gaming and video. New titles with HDR support included Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, NBA 2K17, Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Final Fantasy XV, The Elder Scrolls Online and World of Tanks. Xbox One S was among the top-selling consumer products this holiday in many markets, and its launch helped set the engagement records we experienced.

Looking forward, we expect 2017 to be a special year for Xbox gamers.

We will not only launch the most powerful console ever in Project Scorpio, but we also plan to bring a number of exciting enhancements to Xbox Live. And we’ll deliver a terrific portfolio of new games with Xbox Live support on Xbox One, Windows 10 or both this spring. We are especially excited about Halo Wars 2, which launches on Feb. 21. There are many other titles coming by this spring, like Resident Evil 7 biohazard, For Honor, Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands, TEKKEN 7, Thimbleweed Park, Mass Effect Andromeda, South Park: The Fractured but Whole and Tacoma.

We’ll also be releasing new add-on content or expansions for many of our best 2016 titles, including titles from Microsoft such as Gears of War 4, Forza Horizon 3, ReCore, Dead Rising 4 and Minecraft. You can expect our third-party partners to provide content to enhance your gaming experiences as well.

We’re excited to show you more of what we have in store for 2017, including the much-anticipated unveil of Project Scorpio, in the coming months.
On behalf of Team Xbox, thank you for making Xbox all it has become. Here’s to an exceptional 2017 in front of us!

Biggest takeaway for me apart from all the mega interesting engagement numbers is

We’re excited to show you more of what we have in store for 2017, including the much-anticipated unveil of Project Scorpio, in the coming months.

Compare the MAU's to the sales if old. Play nice folks :)

This should be fun, lol.

Biggest takeaway for me apart from all the mega interesting engagement numbers is
Compare the MAU's to the sales if old. Play nice folks :)

IgMyx.gif

So no sales figures at all, but at least now I know the number of created personalized Xbox Wireless Controller designs. That' something, I guess...

jayu26

You want numbers, well then have all the numbers, that you want?

Sales Gaf usually figures something out from this. Hopefully same holds true here.

I thought the write-up was pretty decent. Nothing substantial and pretty much a fluff piece, but it's relatively subdued for a celebratory piece.

You'll have to forgive me for noticing specifically that it list XB1S sales as "among the top".

Jumeira

Banned
Forza domination, where is that sexy guy lifting weights, originally used by T.O.P for Forza 2.

One of the best games of 2016 and the best racing game of all time. Can't get enormity GH of it.

It was a decent year on Xbox. I played and completed Inside, Gears of War 4 and Quantum Break.

I gave up on Recore about an hour into the game, didn't like it at all.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I will give them all the props in the world for the amazing Backwards Compatibility program. They proved a lot of people, including myself, wrong with how well they've maintained it and how constantly they add more games to it.

Somnia

It's awesome to see Forza doing so well. Glad to see the Design Lab for controllers went over well too, those are pretty amazing.

Wonder if Sea of Thieves is being launched alongside the Scorpio as no mention of it in the "many other titles coming by this spring"

I picked up an Xbox One S last year and I really like it, the Xbox platform has impressed me with its functionality and I loved Forza Horizon 3 (and the Blizzard Mountain DLC) a great deal.

...But these numbers just feel really arbitrary. Sales figures aren't the best figure either, but at least they make some sort of sense and can be deciphered and discussed.

Telling us how many hours were spent on the platform - and using it in context with Windows 10 gaming - just has me head scratching.

Wonder if Sea of Thieves is being launched alongside the Scorpio as no mention of it in the "many other titles coming by this spring"

No mention of Scalebound either. I guess that's two of the winter's releases already sorted...Scalebound would make a good Scorpio launch game to maximise return on costs at launch.

Great Forza news. I'm a bit bummed out that the only MS first party title mentioned in the first half of the year is Halo Wars 2. While all the upcoming games will be playable on both XB1 and Scorpio, this does feel like that traditional calm before the storm that comes leading up to a new generation launch.

First party they only really got Crackdown 3 and Scalebound left for me, but the closer Scorpio gets the more I'm genuinely excited about it.

Elandyll

Banned
Nothing at all about growth yoy, having a record in December or shipped hardware, but I guess that isn't too surprising.
One number given I guess is 14 million units sold between every Forza game on XB1 and Win10 combined? (F5, FH2, F6, FH3).

No mention of Scalebound either. I guess that's two of the winter's releases already sorted...Scalebound would make a good Scorpio launch game to maximise return on costs at launch.

Scalebound, State of Decay and Crackdown 3 are wayyyy too quiet to be anywhere for 1H 2017.

At least Sea of Thieves has its alpha thing ongoing and some consistent buzz.

Nothing at all about growth yoy, having a record in December or shipped hardware, but I guess that isn't too surprising.
One number given I guess is 14 million units sold between every Forza game on XB1 and Win10 combined? (F5, FH2, F6, FH3).

And thats also deceptive, in that you've taken it to mean 14 million sales, its *14 million players* which won't equal 14 million copies sold with free weekends, used copies, multiple household users, etc.

Woah there, number of players is hugely different from units sold, if I may.

El-Suave

I wonder if they're completely relying on third parties to sell the Scorpio's power advantage.
It'd be most interesting to get a look behind the scenes how the marketing deals are made this year - does a big PS4 advertising deal include clauses what the publisher can do on Scorpio? Will the regular Xbox version be thrown under the bus because you can only talk/show Scorpio footage?

This is all fine and dandy we know they aren't talking sales anymore. But damn no mention or even an attempt to get ppl pumped for the actual games? Tout around Scalebound,sea of thieves, cuphead,halo wars 2, crackdown 3? Like come on don't just say plz be excited for Scorpio.

Peasent Xbox one s owner alil triggered I suppose

Congrats to MS. Have yet to play Gears4 but I'll get on that soon.
I'm not sure what to congratulate them on since some of the numbers they put out there are pretty arbitrary, but I hope 2017 goes well for them. Scorpio will be very interesting and I can't wait for Halo Wars 2 and Scalebound.

Not a mention even in passing of Quantum Break. Oof.
That hurt me

The Recore add-own with the final corebot should hopefully be free.
Great news. If it's not free, let's hope it's not expensive either

On Windows10 your have also Forza 6 Apex, which was free iirc, so that 14 million players are difficult to extrapolate in something more meaningful than 'that's a lot of people playing Forza'

This is all fine and dandy we know they aren't talking sales anymore. But damn no mention or even an attempt to get ppl pumped for the actual games? Tout around Scalebound,sea of thieves, cuphead,halo wars 2, crackdown 3? Like come on don't just say plz be excited for Scorpio.

Peasent Xbox one s owner alil triggered I suppose

They want the focus on the upcoming stuff (Halo Wars 2, and DLC for released games).

Catdaddy

They totally dismissed Quantum Break... I really enjoyed it and thinking of playing it again.... Thinking about picking up Forza even though I passively like racing games, this has my interest.

Fans created over 2.4 million personalized Xbox Wireless Controller designs via Xbox Design Lab in the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico

I actually created one this past weekend, didn't buy it but created it....

I think they are going to reveal it around the Switch's release, and then show more at E3. They'd be stupid to have nothing until E3.

Having the Scorpio unveil in March would be a disaster. People are gonna be going nuts then for all things Switch when it releases - having an announcement of Scorpio would literally just get drowned out by Nintendo.

E3 will be all about Scorpio.

Max_Po

Banned
Was hopping for something better like...

XBOX ONE ... best selling console in 'Seatle' or another state... according to NDP... rofl

wapplew

Congrats Xbox from whom will never buy anything Xbox, probably.
Make your fans happy is most important thing and I think Xbox have did great job about that. Hope you find success for Scorpio and make console gaming strive in 2017.

Yup, E3 is a few months away after all. We're not getting anything Scorpio related until then.

Individual conference unlikely?

Strikes me as strange. I feel Scorpio might get overshadowed with the E3 info bombs.

Edit: FH3 is a beast. Probably the most successful MS title, especially taking into account expectations.

Footos22

Great Forza news. I'm a bit bummed out that the only MS first party title mentioned in the first half of the year is Halo Wars 2. While all the upcoming games will be playable on both XB1 and Scorpio, this does feel like that traditional calm before the storm that comes leading up to a new generation launch.

Hardly, that's standard ms exclusive launches. 8 months of nothing then 3 months of onslaught Thinning their own sales.

Rymuth

Scalebound, State of Decay and Crackdown 3 are wayyyy too quiet to be anywhere for 1H 2017.
Crackdown 3 was shown from an over-the-shoulder angle during the Gamescom reveal. It wasn't even an alpha footage. IIRC, they only started working on the campaign mid-to-late 2016. Wouldn't surprise me if it's release is too close to 2018 for comfort.

Scalebound, though, that game went into radio silence.

icespide

Banned
scalebound is either secretly working on a huge scorpio re-reveal or it's in development hell and on the verge of cancellation

Top Bottom