• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Closes a Milestone Year in 2016 with an Exceptional Year Ahead for Gamers

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
While its true that Nintendo is likely going to have a far bigger E3 this year than they've had in the last 2 years, and Sony always puts on a tremendous show, I don't necessarily think the Scorpio will need its own event. It's already been announced, we know its ballpark strength - now we just need form factor & launch details.

The biggest reason I don't think it'll get a show is because the biggest things it'll be doing isn't something that come across well on a typical livestream. Thats the main reason the PS4 Pro event was underwhelming for the home viewer, where as the people in attendance were way more enthused. MS might just go with it though, and put together a big showing for it. But unless there is way more to Scorpio than just 'beefed up X1 with VR', I don't imagine it'll be all that exciting.

More people have 4K screens and HDR sets to view things properly now. I'd love it if MS streamed the Scorpio reveal in 4K/HDR viewable on Xbox One and Youtube (if possible). Would be very cool.

Fuchsdh

IgMyx.gif

So no sales figures at all, but at least now I know the number of created personalized Xbox Wireless Controller designs. That' something, I guess...

Did anyone expect otherwise?

That's a pretty hefty number of controllers, though, considering they're online only and more expensive.

No it wasn't

However you can always do better can't you?

It wouldn't be hard to do better than Sony, but it's still worth arguing whether it will really help them at all. They're gonna get guaranteed exposure because this is "console wars!"-type coverage anyhow.

For me, personally, 2016 was a great year on the platform and I'm looking forward to what's coming next. I doubt Scorpio will be my next Xbox this year, but anything's possible.

I will give them all the props in the world for the amazing Backwards Compatibility program. They proved a lot of people, including myself, wrong with how well they've maintained it and how constantly they add more games to it.

BC almost got me to pick up an XBO S the other day. It was really only the revelation that the sale price had just ended that turned me off.

Scorpio.Is.Not.A.New.Console.Generation.

It's not getting a 'launch lineup'. Thats not what Scorpio is - its a significantly stronger X1 that will be getting Native 4K & most likely VR support with a deal from Oculus. There won't be any 'Scorpio-only' games; its just running X1 titles.

That's right, but that doesn't mean MS cannot market Scorpio as a whole new generation console, delivering true 4k games and so on, which just happens to share its games library with its direct successor. But I doubt they'll put much emphasis on that matter.

Of course it's getting a launch lineup. That's obviously why these titles are coming out late in the year. MS will market it as the next big thing and say, "Look at all these awesome games! Oh, and you can play them on PC and XB1 as well!" It's not a new console generation, but it will certainly be marketed as the next BIG console launch. I don't see it launching as silently as the PS4 Pro (don't read that as PS4 Pro not selling well, because that's not my intention).

Of course MS is going to make a much bigger deal out of the Scorpio launch than Sony did with the Pro - this is basically their last big shot at changing the tide of this generation. They seem to believe that the 'strongest graphics' title is why Sony has been winning and this is their answer to it.

And I don't think games like Scalebound & Crackdown 3 are going to be leveraged as Scorpio launch titles in the traditional sense. MS might very well just launch those 2 on the same day that the Scorpio comes out, but they are X1 games through. If people are looking at Scalebound & Crackdown 3 on a 1080p tv running on both X1 & Scorpio and not see a big difference, thats gonna be severely underwhelming.

I just think MS needed a few titles for Q4 2017 and moved some games that needed more time, and Scalebound certainly needed more development time, into that slot.
That's right, but that doesn't mean MS cannot market Scorpio as a whole new generation console, delivering true 4k games and so on, which just happens to share its games library with its direct successor. But I doubt they'll put much emphasis on that matter.

MS and Spencer have specifically been saying that its a part of the X1 family and that its not a new generation, and they've done so from the Scorpio's unveiling. Its not MS that wants to portray this as a new generation, its the fans who seemingly want it to be a new generation & to wipe the slate clean.

More people have 4K screens and HDR sets to view things properly now. I'd love it if MS streamed the Scorpio reveal in 4K/HDR viewable on Xbox One and Youtube (if possible). Would be very cool.

Livestreaming 4K content is absolutely costly/not really feasible, and the market penetration for 4K, while up, is still not significant. Its adoption is up, but its still the overwhelming minority when it comes to HD TV sets in homes.

IgMyx.gif

So no sales figures at all, but at least now I know the number of created personalized Xbox Wireless Controller designs. That' something, I guess...

IpDAgCi.gif

Wait no MAU's either...

Come on guys, you know we weren't getting any relevant numbers.

but how about them MAUs? amirite??? *sigh*

but yeah, this was just a little PR piece to get Xbox gamers excited about the future of the system(s). Nothing wrong with that of course, but no reason to expect any meaningful or useful data.

You want numbers, well then have all the numbers, that you want?

Sales Gaf usually figures something out from this. Hopefully same holds true here.

Yeah, maybe we can determine number of miles driven in FH3 or number of people chainsawed in Gears 4.

Not a mention even in passing of Quantum Break. Oof.

I think that most people have forgotten about QB at this point. Not too surprising that MS has as well.

I don't think we'll be seeing Remedy and MS working together again any time soon.

Was hopping for something better like...

XBOX ONE ... best selling console in 'Seatle' or another state... according to NDP... rofl

Is this like some alternate dimension where "Seatle" (Seattle) is a state and it's the "NPD" instead of the NPD?

I want one of those custom controllers. Need to get around to that.

Me too. How much more are they than normal ones?

Wow, kind of embarassing to read...

I guess Gears 4 really didnt do very hot if they are still giving these useless figures about the game instead of sales numbers.

I don't think it's anything particular to Gears. They're just simply not giving numbers anymore.

Well, I'm not saying MS shouldn't do their own dedicated Scorpio event if they want to.

I'm just saying I think they could also slot it in during E3 and I don't think the messaging would be lost in the noise.

Considering they didn't announce a lot of new games last E3, something I found very disappointing considering Phil Spencer's hype comments beforehand, this E3 I feel they should make up for that.

Even a Nintendo style direct would be ok I think. It's just a more powerful Xbox One, in my opinion it shouldn't take up time at E3 considering they didn't have anything to announce at Gamescom last year or have anything like Sony's PSX Events.

OldRoutes

I have a "Play anywhere" question.

Is a Gold membership required on the Xbox end of things?

For what? You don't need Gold to play most games offline (except those weird 'always online' games).

You will need an Xbox Live account to redeem the games, and then you can play them on both your PC and Xbox One.

Papacheeks

Banned
Can someone explain why Sony gave numbers? Didn't they a while back stop giving numbers like MS?

And if Sony is back to giving numbers shouldn't MS swallow their pride and just be humble and release numbers?

Or would that be too damaging to stock market or something?

Can someone explain why Sony gave numbers? Didn't they a while back stop giving numbers like MS?

And if Sony is back to giving numbers shouldn't MS swallow their pride and just be humble and release numbers?

Ask yourself why Sony is back giving numbers.

It is amazing to me how clear the messaging is on Scorpio yet so many are confused, but besides that i enjoyed my year of xbox and look forward to next year. I need Sea of Thieves to really deliver or ill be crushed

Max_Po

Banned
Wow, kind of embarassing to read...

I guess Gears 4 really didnt do very hot if they are still giving these useless figures about the game instead of sales numbers.

I think Gears tanked. The price dropped to $20 during holidays and it was 29.99$ here in Canada for Boxing day which is unheard of for a big flag ship title.

Forza Horizon 3 was much better.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Well, I'm not saying MS shouldn't do their own dedicated Scorpio event if they want to.

I'm just saying I think they could also slot it in during E3 and I don't think the messaging would be lost in the noise.

Yeah, if revealed right, I don't think Scorpio would get lost in the noise at all. If the price is right and the power is substantial, it'll be the major talk of E3.

flkraven

lol this seems like the least genuine "question". Why would the person winning in sales give numbers and the person not winning choose not to? Why in the heck would a company 'swallow their pride' in order to make themselves look worse?

I don't think Sony ever stopped giving numbers, they just like to report on milestones. Honestly, reporting numbers for Xbox would do Microsoft no favors at all so they might as well avoid it. Unless they were to magically catch up to PS4 in units sold that number would be viewed negatively by all.

blakep267

1. Xbox isn't going to effect Microsofts stock in anyway shape or form
2. You only boast when you have something to boast about. Doesn't have anything to do with being humble or not. I don't Brag about getting a C on a test, but I will when I get an A+

Damaging to stock market? MS could release their actual numbers tomorrow and the stock wouldn't budge. MS' market performance is not measured on the success of Xbox.

Max_Po

Banned
It is amazing to me how clear the messaging is on Scorpio yet so many are confused, but besides that i enjoyed my year of xbox and look forward to next year. I need Sea of Thieves to really deliver or ill be crushed

Well, Major Nelson tweeted that E3 is like what 157 days away?

what does that mean? everyone who has a PS4/PS4Pro or XboxOne is going to drop and move over to Scorpio at launch.....?

Did anyone expect otherwise?

Yes, I actually did. Not really real sales numbers of course, we're beyond that. But maybe other KPIs which could be used to track MS' success in this business. Instead, we didn't even get those MAU numbers. It's a PR message without any relevant content or information. They might as well have talked about the weather condition in Redmond, at least that would have included an actual message.

Maybe because they won NPD, and won the holiday season?

IDK?

Think bigger. They're the undisputed #1 in this generation, so there are regular opportunities to write about it. I am not sure if Sony would be so eager tso share those numbers if they were trailing far behind, but as a matter of fact, they aren't, and never did.

Both ms and sony are boasting multiplatform titles....Total bullshit

why? those are the biggest selling games these days

there are no huge exclusive franchise anymore beside nintendo ips
and as we all know. even nintendo exclusives games don't sell big numbers anymore, without some rare expectations because not many people are willing to buy a console / into a platform for exclusives only

micosofts biggest IP is a multiplatform game
and all other big ips like halo, gears and forza are now also on a second platform with windows 10

exclusives are dead

Unless Scorpio has a dozen new features, it's basically just an extremely powerful XB1S. It doesn't need to spend 30 minutes on the hardware details.

10 minutes of "Most powerful console, 6TFs, a lot of games will be native 4k, all your favourite XB1 features like 360 BC, this November, 399 or 499"

Then goes to the games.

I'd love to see Scorpio as a proper new console reveal.

Announce it, show some incredible tech demos to showcase it's power, announce some few games with some teasers.

And, have a full blow out of said games at E3, alongside with one or two more game announcements.

Imo, it would be better than just waiting to E3 to blow all the load.

Rolf NB

Sony is a platform holder.

blakep267

Yes, I actually did. Not really real sales numbers of course, we're beyond that. But maybe other KPIs which could be used to track MS' success in this business. Instead, we didn't even get those MAU numbers. It's a PR message without any relevant content or information. They might as well have talked about the weather condition in Redmond, at least that would have included an actual message.
I'm sure that will be in the quarterly summary( the MAU talk I mean)

Somnia

For all of those saying it's not a "new" generation. Phil was very clear at E3 they are going beyond generations, ya that's just PR talk in the end, but that does not mean their focus won't be treating Scorpio as the next best thing for the general public.

Sure we all know it's "super" xb1 basically, but that's not the message they'll portray most likely. They will most likely treat like a new system almost that is all part of one giant family where "no one gets left behind". So if you don't want to move up to the next best thing you can still play all of the games on your XB1.

Again in the end we all know it's just an amped up XB1, but I almost guarantee you that's now how they'll treat it. Even if it doesn't get games that won't be on XB1 also.

I think they could go either way and still get the buzz they need. I agree, they definitely won't be drown out at E3. I mean what could possibly do that? The Switch will have already released and Sony doesn't have any new hardware to show.

But they'll probably just do their own event so they can get 100% of the attention rather than trying to "win" E3.

Maybe because they won NPD, and won the holiday season?

IDK?

Sony has been giving numbers for years. Not-so-coincidentally since the PS4 launched.

Zedox

All I know is if Scalebound isn't released until Q4 then it means that the game had like ~2 years dev time from last January (where it said that it would be coming in 2017). I'm looking forward to it a bunch. Crackdown has been slated for Holiday 2017 already (they mentioned this late last year, I believe on Twitter)

Well, Major Nelson tweeted that E3 is like what 157 days away?

what does that mean? everyone who has a PS4/PS4Pro or XboxOne is going to drop and move over to Scorpio at launch.....?

I am confused by all of this. I was just saying how people think this is a new Console Generation when its just a beefed up xbox one nothing more and thats a good thing.

For all of those saying it's not a "new" generation. Phil was very clear at E3 they are going beyond generations, ya that's just PR talk in the end, but that does not mean their focus won't be treating Scorpio as the next best thing for the general public.

Sure we all know it's "super" xb1 basically, but that's not the message they'll portray most likely. They will most likely treat like a new system almost that is all part of one giant family where "no one gets left behind". So if you don't want to move up to the next best thing you can still play all of the games on your XB1.

Again in the end we all know it's just an amped up XB1, but I almost guarantee you that's now how they'll treat it. Even if it doesn't get games that won't be on XB1 also.

So, it won't get exclusive games or its own OS (it'll be running the same OS as X1 in order to ensure compatibility) and they expect this premium device to take off with the general consumer?

This isn't going to wind up being a mass market product, at least not for years. It's going to be an upgrade path for X1 users who desire more power out of their console. MS & Spencer have been very specific on describing this as a part of the X1 family, as saying they aren't leaving the X1 behind, because they know that the Scorpio won't ever achieve the level of support it would need to be a platform onto itself.

I said it somewhere else but i'll reiterate that point here - MS can go ahead & treat their consoles as if its 'generation-less' all they want, and that won't matter at all as long as 3rd party devs are treating it as if consoles, and the Scorpio & X1, are part of the same generation. To 3rd party devs, they are going to build & scope their games towards the platforms they expect to give them their returns on, and for the next 2 years at the very least, thats the PS4 & X1. That will be the baseline and there is no way around it.

why? those are the biggest selling games these days

there are no huge exclusive franchise anymore beside nintendo ips
and as we all know. even nintendo exclusives games don't sell big numbers anymore, without some rare expectations because not many people are willing to buy a console / into a platform for exclusives only

micosofts biggest IP is a multiplatform game
and all other big ips like halo, gears and forza are now also on a second platform with windows 10

exclusives are dead

Exclusives are dead?

blakep267

All I know is if Scalebound isn't released until Q4 then it means that the game had like ~2 years dev time from last January (where it said that it would be coming in 2017). I'm looking forward to it a bunch. Crackdown has been slated for Holiday 2017 already (they mentioned this late last year, I believe on Twitter)
That would mean that they went back and rebuilt scalebound from the bottom up. I don't think they would cancel it, but if it's not released this year I think it'll be massively different than what we saw the last 2 e3'

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

Its not clear at all though!

Until MS announce a release date, price-point and software line-up there's nothing there but a fuzzy promise of a higher spec Xbox.

I'm sorry that's not in any way a compelling pitch unless you are already committed to the Xbox brand and ecosystem.

Top Bottom