• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Closes a Milestone Year in 2016 with an Exceptional Year Ahead for Gamers

ViciousDS

Banned
We are seeing incredible engagement on Xbox Live with nearly 23 million Versus Multiplayer and Horde matches played since launch

This seems insanely low to me for some odd reason..............

what were gears 4 sales like?

hmc.gif

I'm just jealous that Xbox has BC and my PS4 doesn't.

Join the party! I got an Xbox One the day Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey BC were announced! No need to be jealous!

I wasn't really saying anything in the context of one winning over the other just that the Scorpio could have a better "launch" than the PS4 Pro did in terms of supported games at release.

does everything really have to come down to one winning and one losing?

It doesn't unless you're entirely too invested in the whole thing to begin with.

Join the party! I got an Xbox One the day Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey BC were announced! No need to be jealous!

I want BC because I own PS1,2, and 3 games, and don't want to have 3 consoles hooked up to use them all.

I never had a 360, so it wouldn't do me any good...though Blue Dragon is enticing.

shandy706

This seems insanely low to me for some odd reason..............

what were gears 4 sales like?

50,000 players would have to play over 450 matches EACH to hit that number. Haha...I'm sure it's some mix of some larger number, but that's a lot of matches.

RPGamer92

Banned
I really hope MS goes all out at E3 this year with tons of new first party announcements and Scorpio stuff (increased specs, holiday release, $399 plz!).

I want BC because I own PS1,2, and 3 games, and don't want to have 3 consoles hooked up to use them all.

I never had a 360, so it wouldn't do me any good...though Blue Dragon is enticing.

Yeah I know the feeling. I keep my PS3 60gb around because of that. Please don't die please don't die.

ViciousDS

Banned
Unfortunately, not so good relative to past entries. But that number still seems fine to me.

I'm going to tie this with install base.......since xbox 360 had a much bigger presence in the market.

50,000 players would have to play over 450 matches EACH to hit that number. Haha...I'm sure it's some mix of some larger number, but that's a lot of matches.

yes, it's probably mostly from the first two weeks of launch......and then trickling after.

Cels

on the one hand, you have sony telling us sold-through consoles and software
what are microsoft's numbers then? are they ashamed of them? do they think we are more impressed by these engagement numbers?

it's hard to compare when both sides use completely different metrics to tout their own success

what are microsoft's numbers then? are they ashamed of them? do they think we are more impressed by these engagement numbers?

Why release numbers when it's gonna be lower than your competition? Why fight a battle on someone else's terms? You use another metric that you can be the leader in.

Also this letter/message/statement isn't for that purpose.

Putty

it's hard to compare when both sides use completely different metrics to tout their own success

Yes.

Cels

Why release numbers when it's gonna be lower than your competition? You use another metric that you can be the leader in.

Also this letter/message/statement isn't for that purpose.

i think we know sony's numbers. they have 0 wireless controllers customized, 0 matches of gears of war 4 played on PSN, and 0 forza users. lol

Bumhead

Banned

I'll let you into a little secret;

You don't need to compare at all!

Don't worry about it. Seriously. It's great!

The only people who need to care are Microsoft and their shareholders.

That the PS4 has sold more this generation has almost zero impact on the quality of the Xbox as a platform.

lol, ashamed.

This chick just follows Phil Spencer around all day walking 10 yards behind him, right?

shame-bell-game-of-thrones.gif

Novocaine

I think Recore is just getting a new bot. It's new but nothing huge. Unless of course they changed plans and are now adding more...

I remember hearing about a bunch of areas dungeons that were in the game but locked off because you needed that particular bot. If that's true then that would be pretty cool. In any case more Recore it's welcome in any form.

I'm going to tie this with install base.......since xbox 360 had a much bigger presence in the market.

yes, it's probably mostly from the first two weeks of launch......and then trickling after.

Nah, Gears 4 did worse then the first one as well. The install base isn't much of a reason for the decline.

Kill3r7

Nah, Gears 4 did worse then the first one as well. The install base isn't much of a reason for the decline.

Gears is very much a time and place game. It's time has passed with the general public but much like DOOM it can still find its place. It just won't be as big as before.

5taquitos

If I'm playing a random game on my PC and the Xbox DVR app in Windows 10 is running, am I contributing to Xbox Live engagement?

Bgamer90

Banned
Or everyone will be confused wondering why stores are selling games for a 15 year old console :)

Haha -- The fonts/colors are different so I think they're good.

MS need to be careful doing that though, people could actually view it as a new gen and think "xbox" games only work on Scorpio and if you have a standard XB1(s) you need "xbox one" cases (older games)

Having both Xbox and Xbox One cases on the shelves + a new console with a huge power difference over the Xbox One will be confusing for parents and stuff, MS needs to keep the xbox one I think.

I definitely get where you are coming from but if "generations are dead" then MS is going to have to bite the bullet sometime and move away from the Xbox One brand. They can't stick with it for as long as they have home consoles.

Chris1

I definitely get where you are coming from but if "generations are dead" then MS is going to have to bite the bullet sometime and move away from the Xbox One brand. They can't stick with it for as long as they have home consoles.

Well I don't think they're gonna want to take the risk with Scorpio either. Messaging was partly what fucked up their launch in 2013.

IMO they should have started rebranding the cases for the XB1 S, but kept the consoles "xbox one s". That gives people a year to get used to "xbox" games being xbox one, and by the time scorpio launches most titles on the shelves will be "xbox" since it'd have been over a year since the last xbox one case was sent to stores.

But I think doing it at the same time Scorpio launches is a big mistake.

What exclusive games are they releasing this year? Another forza? I hate to say it but gears 4 was a dissapointment. I'm not excited for anything they have upcoming.

What exclusive games are they releasing this year? Another forza? I hate to say it but gears 4 was a dissapointment. I'm not excited for anything they have upcoming.
Forza 7 is a safe bet for a Scorpio highlight but there's Scalebound, Crackdown 3, Sea of Thieves, Halo Wars 2 and Cuphead, probably more I'm forgetting.

Theorry

Sea of Thieves, Scalebound, Crackdown, State of Decay, Halo Wars 2, Forza 7, Cuphead, Gigantic.
Never know if they all make 2017 offcourse. And we dont know what they announce more.

Footos22

Yeah I bought a one s mainly for new Gears and played through ultimate before it and maybe it was that reason 4 felt crap to me. I mean it's a decent game but there isn't any sort of innovation there at all to make it feel fresh.
not at all suprised to barely see it in people's game of the year lists. Biggest dissapointment of the year and that bike chase was so bad. Sunset Overdrive is still the only game that I can say I've loved on xbox one. No amount of power in the world is gonna make that any better. They need new ideas. Will give Recore a try soon. I'll prob enjoy that more to be fair.

novabolt

Yeah I bought a one s mainly for new Gears and played through ultimate before it and maybe it was that reason 4 felt crap to me. I mean it's a decent game but there isn't any sort of innovation there at all to make it feel fresh.
not at all suprised to barely see it in people's game of the year lists. Biggest dissapointment of the year and that bike chase was so bad. Sunset Overdrive is still the only game that I can say I've loved on xbox one. No amount of power in the world is gonna make that any better. They need new ideas. Will give Recore a try soon. I'll prob enjoy that more to be fair.

Lol, you didn't buy GOW4, you liar. XD

Nzyme32

Or maybe announcements like these are made for the average consumer that doesn't care to analyze and compare. It sounds like good news. Mission accomplished lol

Except for all the times that they do not do that on Xbox Wire - ie when they have numbers they want to taut and actually use the appropriate metrics in those situations.

PR is gonna PR but i've had a blast with my Xbox One and i own a PS4 and PS VR too.

Bought the Xbox One S after selling my OG XB1 and the console is amazing, looks really slick and is small. I'm still in love with the Xbox One controller and the Xbox ecosystem, this is one area Microsoft does better than Sony.

Gears of War 4 is actually really fucking good, not sure i believe the hate on message boards, i'm still not done with the campaign but i can say it's the best i've played since Gears of War 1. I actually like the characters and old Marcus is awesome. Graphics are also incredible.

Yes Xbox One needs variety in games and all that but what it does, it does it very well.

Hopefully, Microsoft continues to invest in Xbox and i can't wait to see more of Project Scorpio.

JusDoIt

Sea of Thieves, Scalebound, Crackdown, State of Decay, Halo Wars 2, Forza 7, Cuphead, Gigantic.
Never know if they all make 2017 offcourse. And we dont know what they announce more.

I hope to god Cuphead finally comes out this year. I basically bought my One in 2014 just for Cuphead (KI and Titanfall too). I will dust my box off as soon as Cuphead drops.

Humdinger

They had a good year in these terms:

• Forza
  • Gears
  • Xbox S, a much nicer-looking console
  • NPD sales wins in 4 months
  • Announcement of Scorpio (was well-timed to undermine Pro momentum and seems to have captured a lot of gamers' attention)

Not nearly enough to win me over, because I'm not a fan of Gears or Forza, and the rest of the game catalog seems rather pale, especially compared to what Sony is offering. But MS have built some momentum this year, no doubt about it, and I expect them to continue to gain momentum in their major markets (US, UK, South America, etc.).

anothertech

Little depressing for me. The 'coming months' Scorpio announcement along with that twitter felt like a 'wait till E3' hint. Too bad.

I was at least expecting MAUs. All in all it felt like 'please be excite' again but from Ms lol.
2744577-4650300010-l41lN.gif

I wonder what it would be like to be the guy/gal at Xbox charged with finding these interesting but ultimately meaningless statistics for these PR blasts.

kpaadet

Talking about games like Red Dead Redemption and Black Ops coming to Backwards Compatibility (Which were actually big geals)

Talking about features that launched during the year, like LFG and Clubs.

Talking about XPA, which launched in 2016 with several titles.

Talking about Xbox One S, which also launched in 2016 and was well received.

Talking about continued content announcements for 2016 games like Gears or War 4, Recore, Forza Horizon 3.

Its news written to simply remind readers of the year the division has had. A recap of the semester, if you will. Trying to read more into it makes it look like you lack common sense and any sort of reasoning skills.
Didn't know a yearly recap press release was needed, will a test be coming later on? I totally forgot to take notes during 2016.

I hope to god Cuphead finally comes out this year. I basically bought my One in 2014 just for Cuphead (KI and Titanfall too). I will dust my box off as soon as Cuphead drops.

Man, I'm super excited for Cuphead but I hope they don't rush it either. Weren't they adding platforming aspects to it (as opposed to the initial boss rush type deal), so that probably changed the dates around.

Theorry

Man, I'm super excited for Cuphead but I hope they don't rush it either. Weren't they adding platforming aspects to it (as opposed to the initial boss rush type deal), so that probably changed the dates around.

Jup. At first it was more boss fights only. But they wanted to add more to it. Otherwise it was released already i think.

Jup. At first it was more boss fights only. But they wanted to add more to it. Otherwise it was released already i think.

Which was a very smart move. When people found out it was going to be a boss rush-only kind of game, there was definitely a loss of interest (I know I did). People seemed very disappointed.

We'll get a much better game for it.

Chris1

Which was a very smart move. When people found out it was going to be a boss rush-only kind of game, there was definitely a loss of interest (I know I did). People seemed very disappointed.

We'll get a much better game for it.

I dunno.. have you seen the platform sections?

Top Bottom