• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Closes a Milestone Year in 2016 with an Exceptional Year Ahead for Gamers

EmiPrime

I think people are being a bit too binary re Gears 4. It's not a blockbuster series anymore and it's not a massive critical success (I haven't seen it in any GOTY top 10s) but it's still a very good game that seems to have sold decently and will continue to sell decently at a lower price point for some time.

I think people are being a bit too binary re Gears 4. It's not a blockbuster series anymore and it's not a massive critical success (I haven't seen it in any GOTY top 10s) but it's still a very good game that seems to have sold decently and will continue to sell decently at a lower price point for some time.

I liked the first three, bought them day one but I didn't feel the urge to play another. It was on offer during the Christmas sale at a decent price digitally but still wasn't tempted.

Bsigg12

I've been really surprised how much Groups and LFG added to Live. I wonder what 'enhancements' they're looking to add still.

Yeah, start with Scorpio. Then announce that all games shown in the rest of it are running on Scorpio...if they can get to that point in time.

Building out the tournament/arena feature to more games. It's super limited right now but it's pretty cool. Beam integration is coming as well which should actually add some really cool features for people who like to stream.

Zedox

Its not clear at all though!

Until MS announce a release date, price-point and software line-up there's nothing there but a fuzzy promise of a higher spec Xbox.

I'm sorry that's not in any way a compelling pitch unless you are already committed to the Xbox brand and ecosystem.

Whet?

Xbox Scorpio = New Xbox console that shares the same games as Xbox One but it is more powerful and it can power VR solutions.

You are confused? How?

shoreu

I couldn't get into this one. It had too much of 3 in it.

blakep267

Building out the tournament/arena feature to more games. It's super limited right now but it's pretty cool. Beam integration is coming as well which should actually add some really cool features for people who like to stream.
Yeah I think tournaments and bean are the next bigger thing. Hopefully that leads to something like 1 vs 100 reborn

EmiPrime

I liked the first three, bought them day one but I didn't feel the urge to play another. It was on offer during the Christmas sale at a decent price digitally but still wasn't tempted.

If you liked the first three you should give it a go. It's the second best game in the series IMO, it's very good.

Zedox

Madden with Arena will be awesome. I still think MS will come out with a new Kinect for Streamers (shit, it may have the Beam branding).

Bsigg12

Both ms and sony are boasting multiplatform titles....Total bullshit

And? The market is different from what is was 10 or 15 years ago where you saw tons of platform exclusives. Multiplatform 3rd party releases make far more sense and make far more money than first party titles or 3rd party exclusives and their quality has increased dramatically.

cakely

Lord MAU didn't even make an appearance.

Man that is an ... insubstantial press release. Nothing really to talk about there at all.

Well, maybe the lack of a Quantum Break mention. I guess that's something.

If you liked the first three you should give it a go. It's the second best game in the series IMO, it's very good.

I have watched friends play a bit and honestly it didn't do much for me, I was a fan last gen but I'm done. The sequel factory thing isn't for me.

Didn't Naughy Dog just release some good numbers for Uncharted 4?

Yup, nearing 10 million. To be fair, UC4 was a part of the main/only bundle Sony pushed in Q4 in NA. Then again, its not like Gears 4, Gears UE, Halo MCC, Halo 5, SSOD, and Forza haven't received their respective bundles either.

Bgamer90

Banned
MS and Spencer have specifically been saying that its a part of the X1 family and that its not a new generation, and they've done so from the Scorpio's unveiling. Its not MS that wants to portray this as a new generation, its the fans who seemingly want it to be a new generation & to wipe the slate clean.

Doesn't really make sense considering fans will want Scorpio either way. Removing Xbox One branding from the Scorpio outside of mentioning game/accessory compatibility just simply makes far more business sense based on their current position.

The system will be part of the Xbox One family regardless of how they market the device simply because the Xbox One will still be the base for Scorpio. The same games will release and work on both platforms. Marketing/pushing the Scorpio as if it were a new console via big ads, and major conferences and launch events would give it more attention and help people view the console as a better buy vs. the competition. The possible positives of doing this far outweigh the possible positives of them not doing it. It would honestly be silly for Microsoft not to in my opinion.

All I know is if Scalebound isn't released until Q4 then it means that the game had like ~2 years dev time from last January (where it said that it would be coming in 2017). I'm looking forward to it a bunch. Crackdown has been slated for Holiday 2017 already (they mentioned this late last year, I believe on Twitter)

Scalebound needs to release in the summer. It's the perfect time. No big blockbusters crowding it out, plus it feels like a summer game (to me anyway).

Whet?

Xbox Scorpio = New Xbox console that shares the same games as Xbox One but it is more powerful and it can power VR solutions.

You are confused? How?
Because there was some confusing PR when it was first announced.

They've cleared it up since (repeatedly), but if you haven't been following Scorpio news, then it's possible to still be confused. And plus the whole thing about people saying "it's a new generation" and talks of whether to remove the Xbox One name (on GAF at least). Yeah, I can see why people are confused sometimes.

Yup, nearing 10 million. To be fair, UC4 was a part of the main/only bundle Sony pushed in Q4 in NA. Then again, its not like Gears 4, Gears UE, Halo MCC, Halo 5, SSOD, and Forza haven't received their respective bundles either.

I wish SSOD had done better, I love that game

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Whet?

You are confused? How?

VR requires additional hardware, how does that fit in? Is it subsidized? Can I get any use from legacy peripherals like Kinect?

VR requires software, where's the launch line-up?

Is this the only software content unique to Scorpio? If it is, is that really such a good thing given the larger performance delta between stock Xbone and Scorpio compared to PS4/Pro?

How much more is this super Xbox going to cost compared to the slim? And when can I get my hands on it?

How am I, the consumer, supposed to determine the desirability of the product without knowing price-point,availability, and unique software line-up?

It seems to me, I actually don't know a damn thing apart from its going to be "super powerful".

Doesn't really make sense considering fans want it either way. Removing Xbox One branding from the Scorpio outside of mentioning game/accessory compatibility just simply makes far more business sense based on their current position.

The system will be part of the Xbox One family regardless of how they market the device simply because the Xbox One will still be the base for Scorpio. The same games will work on both platforms. Marketing/pushing the Scorpio as if it were a new console via big ads, and major conferences and launch events would give it more attention and help people view the console as a better buy vs. the competition. The possible positives of doing this far outweigh the possible positives of them not doing it. It would honestly be silly for Microsoft not to in my opinion.

Except face potential consumer backlash from people who just bought into the X1S in larger than ever before numbers? Clearly there is more goodwill in the X1 name then even Xbox fans give credit. And all we are talking about here is removing the 'One' moniker, nothing more - it'll still face the same market realities it would if it were a new console platform, which I highly doubt MS will do anyway.

Xbox fans iterating the X1 & Scorpio are two different platforms, when they not only aren't, but nothing from MS suggests that they are, is whats most baffling here. MS isn't going to treat Scorpio as its own platform - they're gonna lump Scorpio sales in with X1 & X1S because its another X1.

icespide

Banned
Whatever console comes after Scorpio will be a beefed up Scorpio. Whatever comes after Scorpio 2 will be a beefed up Scorpio 2. There won't be a major platform change because we aren't seeing big diminishing returns like we used to. My guess is they will be pushing 2 consoles at any given time now starting this holiday. One will be more powerful and the other cheaper and less powerful. Scorpio will be their next big premium Xbox. They will probably be hyping this up similar to the way they launch new hardware. It's the next big thing in Xbox. Kind of like how apple will continue to sell iPhone 6s but the 7 is really were you want to be.

sense

cjs7wnT.gif
Lol perfect

Madness

Good year for Xbox. I'm excited to see what they do with Scorpio on the horizon.

I still think a 4K (Even a 1440p or 1620p version) Halo 3 Anniversary campaign and utilizing the Halo 5 engine for multiplayer remakes of popular maps as a launch title would help Scorpio sell a shit ton but Frankie said no plans. Here is hoping they have some stuff lined up. Xbox One was underpowered from day one. I hope Scorpio isn't held back because of it either.

Bluenoser

Sony did a event for the Pro, which is just a more powerful PS4, why shouldn't Xbox do the same?

Sony hadn't already announced the Pro though. The event was to communicate the Pro to the media and fans. They just did a shitty job of it. MS already revealed, and communicated the Scorpio to the public, therefore, another event is not needed. Now, all they have to do is talk aesthetics, price, and release date.

Chris1

scalebound is either secretly working on a huge scorpio re-reveal or it's in development hell and on the verge of cancellation
What makes you say that? We just saw it at e3 which is more than can be said for crackdown etc.

I think they're treating Scorpio launch like a new gen. Crackdown scalebound sea of thieves state of decay 2 forza 7 and some others (ori 2?) As a launch lineup

icespide

Banned
What makes you say that? We just saw it at e3 which is more than can be said for crackdown etc.

I think they're treating Scorpio launch like a new gen. Crackdown scalebound sea of thieves state of decay 2 forza 7 and some others (ori 2?) As a launch lineup

It's had bad showings every time it's been shown, and they barely make a peep about it otherwise other than a delay.

I sincerely doubt Crackdown 3 makes 2017 as well

Chris1

It's had bad showings every time it's been shown, and they barely make a peep about it otherwise other than a delay.

I sincerely doubt Crackdown 3 makes 2017 as well
Someone working on the game already said it's a holiday 2017 game a few weeks ago. I doubt much has changed since.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional

No, they're treating it like PS4 Pro - native 4K versions of games you've already played. Quote me in six months.

icespide

Banned
No, they're treating it like PS4 Pro - native 4K versions of games you've already played. Quote me in six months.

while I mostly agree with you in the general premise of the Scorpio, I do think Microsoft will have a better "launch" (for lack of a better word) line up for the Scorpio than the PS4 Pro considering how much lead time they have

Chris1

I've played crackdown 3?

But I don't see what your post has to do with mine. Unless you think Scorpio isn't gonna have any launch titles at all?

I definitely believe that person believes its a holiday 2017 game
So why answer it at all then? He was kinda pressured into answering it and rubbed it off at first before saying holiday 2017.

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
while I mostly agree with you in the general premise of the Scorpio, I do think Microsoft will have a better "launch" (for lack of a better word) line up for the Scorpio than the PS4 Pro considering how much lead time they have

Honestly, I'd keep expectations in check.

Top Bottom