• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox could be a more compelling proposition going into next gen (from a PS fan)

Aion002

A little bit.

Things are quite expensive here (Brazil) right now, so the Series S having a nice price and the Game Pass are two things making a Xbox jump quite possible.

However, after this TGS thingie from MS... It's clear to me that the Xbox Team is quite "disconnected" from my tastes in gaming (on Japan), so without a doubt, even with all the annoying things (70 usd games and Jimbo choices), I need a Playstation.

So I am planning to get a Series S early next year and a PS5 when FFXVI is released.

But yeah.... Money wise the Xbox is doing a phenomenal job.

Three

I get what you're saying but it's possible to jump in and out of Gamepass on a month by month basis. You don't need to subscribe for the whole year, you can sub for a month when it suits you and then bail.
You would be paying more like that though wouldn't you? It would end up as £132 a year and you would need to remember to unsubscribe/resubscribe which I usually forget to do.

Humdinger

Yes. I already figured that I would be getting an Xbox in a few years, once Fable and another exclusive or two rolled out. The Bethesda/Zenimax acquisition solidified that. I'll still wait 3 or 4 years before picking one up, but I will eventually.

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
After this latest acquisition of Zenimax and with the added value of GamePass, could Xbox be a more compelling proposition going into this new generation?

I have long thought about this over and over the last few weeks and while I own a PS4 Pro and have over 100+ games already invested in the system, I am also maybe keen on a change of scenery but also took time to weigh up the pros and cons of the potential transition.

1) I lose my PS games library and Network of PS friends
2) I also lose my PS+ Subscription as mine only runs out in middle of 2021

Next gen will be expensive and I don't see myself spending so much money as this will probably be my last console purchase. As I have pointed out before in another thread, Photography has become a serious hobby and i'm looking to invest heavily into that. This is where GamePass comes in. I don't need to spend ridiculous amounts of money to enjoy gaming while on the side I can still invest in my camera gear. The potential Bethesda games coming to GamePass will just be a bonus.

I'm frequently checking EB Games NZ and while there are still Series S consoles available to pre-order. If there had been a Series X option currently available, I honestly think I would consider it. The last Xbox console I owned was a 360 (actually 2 of them, the fat and slim ones) and I loved my time with Xbox during that era. Maybe I'll head back to the platform. This is the only time since then that I have considered Xbox.

So for those who have had a chance to think this through. Has Xbox made a case for itself all things considered?
Do you. Get what you think you will enjoy the most. I typically buy all consoles and have both PS5/XBSX preordered. If I can get my hands on a RTX 3080 before the preorder ships I am going to cancel the Series X preorder and opt for a PC upgrade. I would still get the benefit of Game Pass and I prefer Bethesda type games on PC. Bottom line, only you know what you want to play. Just remember, Game Pass isn't free though. People keep forgetting to actually add the cost of Game Pass into these type posts.

badboyyy

Sony have what makes games magical form, Microsoft not really, and why you need pay for new games 70 bucks? Just wait one month and buy these games with half price

Rac3r

Horizon and Spider-Man are both coming to PS4, as we now know.

As for GT7, I'll believe it when I see it. It's Polyphony we're talking about. This game ain't out until late 2022 at the earliest.

The development time between GT5 & GT6 was only 3 years. Between GT6 and Sport was 4 years.

GT7 is using Sport’s engine/assets, and Polyphony has begun outsourcing development as well. Even by Polyphony’s standards there’s no reason (maybe covid) they can’t get it done in another year or so. They already have the framework and more development help than ever.

MCplayer

More compelling yes, more than PlayStation no. They have a long road ahead before rivaling Sony. They messed up an entire gen, its gonna take a while to win people back. Sony wont let that happen of course, they will have their own stuff to announce to keep their base.
what kind of sense that makes? "More compelling yes, more than playstation no", if it is more compelling, then it is more compeling than PS, if its not, then its just compelling, not "more" compelling.
Bud

Last edited:

Sushen

Agreed. Why do people talk about gamepass like it's a bounty of free games for life? It's still expensive.
Assuming you pay full price for GPU, it's less than buying 3 ps5 games a year for a lot more games with all first party games guaranteed. It's not that expensive if you actively play games.

Last edited:

MH3M3D

what kind of sense that makes? "More compelling yes, more than playstation no", if it is more compelling, then it is more compeling than PS, if its not, then its just compelling, not "more" compelling.
Bud
I'm not your bud, pal.
MS is more compelling compared to themselves, but they're not yet at Sony's level.

Out of four Bethesda games I've owned, I've only finished one. I wanted to try them because everyone said they were so good. I tried on PS3 and PS4, but the bugginess and performance issues just make them tiring to play over time.

Exactly how I felt. played fallout 4, and it was filled with a ridiculous amount of game bugs and glitches. And truth be told, I didn't even finish the game, by the time I got towards the end I was so bored I just never looked back. tried fallout 76, and my god it's freaking boooring.

skneogaf

If I were to just play on consoles I'd play Sony exclusive games on the ps5 and absolutely everything else on the series x.

So 100's on xbox series x and 10ish games on PS5

The development time between GT5 & GT6 was only 3 years. Between GT6 and Sport was 4 years.

GT7 is using Sport’s engine/assets, and Polyphony has begun outsourcing development as well. Even by Polyphony’s standards there’s no reason (maybe covid) they can’t get it done in another year or so. They already have the framework and more development help than ever.

Bottom line is both GT6 and GTS were released exactly more or less 2 years after being officially announced.

I will be pleasantly surprised if GT7 is released before 2022. Put it this way, if GT7 was a near launch title they would have said so. If GT was a guaranteed 2021 release, they would have said so (see GoW). Hence why I’m sticking with 2022

Last edited:
You need a PC for that. Why not make it your gaming machine as well, while you're at it? Could be a laptop or a desktop.
I'm cheap like that and selfish to move funds away from photography to a PC. I have an entry level laptop for editing my photos and it's fast enough to handle that. I don't need a beastly rig for my photos.
All I'm looking nowadays is it lenses, tripods and other accessories the same way i used to look at games or gaming accessories.

Redlight

You would be paying more like that though wouldn't you? It would end up as £132 a year and you would need to remember to unsubscribe/resubscribe which I usually forget to do.
The trick is to cancel pretty much straight away. You've paid for the month already, so you keep it, you're really just cancelling any recurrent fee.

I'm cheap like that and selfish to move funds away from photography to a PC. I have an entry level laptop for editing my photos and it's fast enough to handle that. I don't need a beastly rig for my photos.
All I'm looking nowadays is it lenses, tripods and other accessories the same way i used to look at games or gaming accessories.

If the goal is to spend the least amount of money for the best possible gaming experience, I'd suggest an Xbox Series S coupled with Gamepass.

Would it be a monetary problem to start with an SS and then get a PS5 later if you’re keen on the exclusives? Cause you can obviously still get the PS4 versions in the short term. It’s gonna boil down to value vs exclusives realistically.

Justin9mm

After this latest acquisition of Zenimax and with the added value of GamePass, could Xbox be a more compelling proposition going into this new generation?

I have long thought about this over and over the last few weeks and while I own a PS4 Pro and have over 100+ games already invested in the system, I am also maybe keen on a change of scenery but also took time to weigh up the pros and cons of the potential transition.

Next gen will be expensive and I don't see myself spending so much money as this will probably be my last console purchase. As I have pointed out before in another thread, Photography has become a serious hobby and i'm looking to invest heavily into that. This is where GamePass comes in. I don't need to spend ridiculous amounts of money to enjoy gaming while on the side I can still invest in my camera gear. The potential Bethesda games coming to GamePass will just be a bonus.

I'm frequently checking EB Games NZ and while there are still Series S consoles available to pre-order. If there had been a Series X option currently available, I honestly think I would consider it. The last Xbox console I owned was a 360 (actually 2 of them, the fat and slim ones) and I loved my time with Xbox during that era. Maybe I'll head back to the platform. This is the only time since then that I have considered Xbox.

So for those who have had a chance to think this through. Has Xbox made a case for itself all things considered?
I don't know how much it is for you, but in Australia Gamepass Ultimate(which you need Ultimate to play online at any point) is $15.95 per month. That's $191.40 per year. That does not include any Sony Exclusives which I assume as a PS fan you want to play nor will it include most big budget AAA third party releases. Bethesda games on Gamepass are not the be all and end all.

100+ games on the PS4 already tells me you are not a casual gamer. I can guarantee you won't be content with just Gamepass, there will most certainly be games you will be dying to play and will end up buying anyway.

Seems to me you are going to be spending more money in the long run and missing out on those Sony Exclusives.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member

Welcome Back....
9656923.gif

Mr.ODST

For me moving to Xbox, Will get the PS5 when a slim model comes out, while I love Demons Souls, Spiderman etc, I save alot of money in the long run plus I have my switch for the JRPGS

Murdoch

If they're genuine friends then don't change platforms. Sony are going down the traditional console route that has existed since the inception of them. Microsoft are really driving hard on the market disruption route and some great pro consumer choices.

It's not worth losing a friends list over.

ZywyPL

Banned

And it as getting worse and worse with each installment, with less and less content... Ask any long-time GT fan and he will tell you that the last good GT was the 4th one, and that's a 15yo game, from 3 generations ago... PD has some serious work to do in order to rebuild the brand/franchise, at current state they have to shut down the servers to force people to switch to newer titles, so i'd say they should take their time and make it right.

Top Bottom