• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Details E3 Plans

Granjinha

When they closed studios, announced no more third party buyouts of exclusives and kinda gave up when it became apparent XB1 was a lost cause.

What exactly do you expect them to release in 2017? It used to be trolling to say "lol just forza and halo" but looking at their studios, it genuinely might just be Forza 7 and a sideline Halo game. Coalition is doing Gears this fall, Rare is doing Sea of Thieves this fall, Mojang don't seem to do anything new and Lift London is Hololens.

Good thing they have Scalebound and Crackdown 3 (Isn't this 2016 as well?), but at this point last year we knew about 10+ exclusives coming 2016 and beyond. What's on the horizon come the end of this year? Do you really think we'll get a spattering of new second party exclusives?

They didn't say no more third party. They said that they want to own the IP's.

I mean, we already know that there is another game from the State of Decay devs coming.

MilkyJoe

No I want you to come up with your best realistic scenario. You don't need to make shit up, come up with some predictions. They have 6 first parties, 2 are releasing big games this year, 1 continually works on the same franchise (Mojang) 1 is brand new and has produced not even a company logo. That leaves 2, 343 and Turn 10.

So yeah.

Well cause I can't tell you as other than the usual suspects, Hall, Forza, Forza Horizon, Gears etc... The other exclusives for this year were new ip. I fully expect Alan Wake 2 though. We might hear a little on Ghost of a Tale. I can't really pull anything out of my arse at the moment as I am on a train.

Miles X

They didn't say no more third party. They said that they want to own the IP's.

I mean, we already know that there is another game from the State of Decay devs coming.

That's a second party partnership, I believe I read a while back they're done with the Titanfall's and Tomb Raider's.

Well cause I can't tell you as other than the usual suspects, Hall, Forza, Forza Horizon, Gears etc... The other exclusives for this year were new ip. I fully expect Alan Wake 2 though. We might hear a little on Ghost of a Tale. I can't really pull anything out of my arse at the moment as I am on a train.

Gears next year? Gears 4 is out later this year. Halo 6 will be 2018, so it'd only be a side game.

Alan Wake 2 the year they finally release QB? You're joking right? Remedy don't have 2 teams, I doubt they're even in the pre stages of their next game right now, likely working on QB DLC if there is any.

I'm asking people to look at MS studios, first and second party, and what could realistically be announced. Remembering a lot have games coming out this year, so obviously they won't be releasing anything next year.

Welfare

Bear in mind that this is the first E3 they've had that wasn't partially spoiled by the big ntkrnl leak. I think their hand was forced a little bit because of the very early leaks in those posts, so their E3 was more loaded than they might have liked. Just because we don't know of their upcoming exclusive lineup doesn't mean they have no exclusives to announce.

Yeah, the ntkrnl leak aside, E3 2014 was MS pushing the panic button. They had no reason to show us Crackdown 3, Phantom Dust, or Scalebound other than to tell people "Hey we have games!"

SOR5

No I want you to come up with your best realistic scenario. You don't need to make shit up, come up with some predictions. They have 6 first parties, 2 are releasing big games this year, 1 continually works on the same franchise (Mojang) 1 is brand new and has produced not even a company logo. That leaves 2, 343 and Turn 10.

Microsoft doesn't assign their IP's exclusively to their own first party studios.

MilkyJoe

That's a second party partnership, I believe I read a while back they're done with the Titanfall's and Tomb Raider's.

Gears next year? Gears 4 is out later this year. Halo 6 will be 2018, so it'd only be a side game.

Alan Wake 2 the year they finally release QB? You're joking right? Remedy don't have 2 teams, I doubt they're even in the pre stages of their next game right now, likely working on QB DLC if there is any.

I'm asking people to look at MS studios, first and second party, and what could realistically be announced. Remembering a lot have games coming out this year, so obviously they won't be releasing anything next year.

You told me games they will announce FFS, are you a joker?

And no, I don't expect them to announce a gears war I was pointing out that apart from the usual suspects, all the other games have been new ip so how tf should anyone know?

SOR5

Right? They still work on the same ips. What are you suddenly going to expect a new franchise from Turn 10 or something?

No but I can assume something like when Killer Instinct went to Double Helix, or Quantum Break went to Remedy, or Recore went to Armature, or Ori went to Moon Studio, or Sunset Overdrive went to Insomniac, or Scalebound went to Platinum, or Zoo Tycoon went to Frontier Developments

EDIT: Actually in reference to your question, Turn 10 working on a new PGR wouldnt be too far-fetched. Unlikely, but not far-fetched

Granjinha

Second party doesnt exist. It's a silly term people invented for partnerships with independent studios. You know, a third party making a first party game. *wink wink*

Also, thanks god for no more tomb raider's. That was incredibly stupid.

I've seen the fantastic unveil trailer but just realized that I don't have a clue what type of game it is, is it third-person, first-person, side-scrolling?
I believe it's supposed to be third person, but there really is little to no info on it so it's hard to say much else.

It's just funny that it was announced as a Spring 2016 game.

If they make this E3 for me and me alone, then we should see

Gears 4
ReCore
Sea of Thieves
Crackdown 3
Halo Wars 2
Scalebound
Indie Highlight Reel

Probably see

The new Battlefield installment
Titanfall 2
FIFA
And a couple more 3rd Party games

And pray to the Gods we see

Banjo Threeie
Forza Horizon 3
Undead Labs new game
Phantom Dust
Alan Wake Returns
Sunset Overdrive 2

And hopefully just an Xbox Slim with new standard controller as far as new hardware.

Add in Mike Ybarra's team with an announcement or two and I think that would be a great E3 for MS.

If your lurking, Phil or Larry - make it so :)

I'm planning on going. Last year I heard that everyone lined up at 10pm and waited till 11am. Was it a mad dash to the line at 10pm or was it easy to get into the top 500 spots?

Yeah, we got there at like 3PM and just mulled around the mall for hours until they let us line up. Much alcohol was consumed!

I don't think 500 people total showed up overnight, so some people arrived at 11AM the next morning and got a pass too.. so sleeping overnight was totally not required.. haha. It was fun though.

I really want to go again.. and it provides a good excuse to get away from the wife & kids and day drink.. so we'll probably go early again.

Miles X

You told me games they will announce FFS, are you a joker?

And I refuted them because most didn't make sense, get over it.

No but I can assume something like when Killer Instinct went to Double Helix, or Quantum Break went to Remedy, or Recore went to Armature, or Ori went to Moon Studio, or Sunset Overdrive went to Insomniac, or Scalebound went to Platinum, or Zoo Tycoon went to Frontier Developments

You know MS don't own SO right? Do they own ReCore as well? What second party studios are free to be working on XB1 games for next year?

Second party doesnt exist. It's a silly term people invented for partnerships with independent studios. You know, a third party making a first party game. *wink wink*

Also, thanks god for no more tomb raider's. That was incredibly stupid.

Second party is just a more 'loyal' third party, there is a difference. You can always count of them to be working on exclusives unlike the random, sporadic ones from third party.

Wigdogger

I'm genuinely intrigued to see what direction they'll go like. Like many, I'm predicting a continued focus towards the eventual shift to PC, where Xbox is more of a brand that exists across devices than it is a discrete piece of hardware.

There are plenty of first-party games I'm excited for, including Scalebound, Sea of Thieves, Gears 4, ReCore, Halo Wars 2, etc. But it's undeniable that they've made a lot of moves that call into question their focus on first party going forward. I think they're smart to contract out devs to do the work for them on first-party properties (second-party, if you will), but the last couple of years have been interesting:

> Closed Press Play (multiple games)
> Closed Lionhead (multiple games)
> Discontinued partnership with Twisted Pixel (bummer)
> No word from BigPark
> No word from Undead Labs (worrying)
> Cancelled Fable Legends
> Cancelled Gigantic (but it may continue)
> Delayed Scaledbound to 2017
> Cancelled/Delayed Phantom Dust
> Meaningful exclusive indies have been slow to arrive (Below, Cuphead, etc)
> ReCore has been a no-show (scale of this game is in question)
> Crackdown seems rushed, with maybe a "beta" this year

Those are just some of the moves they have made — cancelling games, delaying games, changing the scale of games, closing companies, ending partnerships. It would be nice to see some new blood. Again, the mobility that second-party development allows is undeniable, as it gives you a chance to change up if one company can't continue or can't hack it (KI comes to mind), but they need to start showing that Xbox has more than just an ecosystem. The poor attitude towards indies early on has really hurt them

I have no doubt that they'll announce some new exclusive indies and a couple of big IPs that are being contracted out to other studios, but they've really consolidated around a few tentpoles games. Even the merits of Gears and Halo are sort of questionable at this point, especially as those franchises get longer in the tooth.

I'm still bullish on MS and Xbox, and I own all platforms, so I don't have a horse in the race. But I've liked a lot of what they've done in the past (and how they've course-corrected recently), so I hope they continue to add new ideas, new blood and new experiences.

speedomodel

Yes, close 2 perfectly talented studios and leave yourself with about 5/6. 4 of which work on only one franchise. They should have had the foresight not to do Fable Legends in the first place, but at first sign it was becoming a problem they should have scrapped it and gone straight to work on Fable 4, a good Fable 4 I might add.

Press Play were a fantastic team, they could have built them up and done a bigger project with them.

Why waste money on third party games? They shouldn't, not anymore, like I said it's pointless for them.

You guys keep ignoring the question, what are you expecting them to announce in 2017 and from who?
Just to jump in on this, some of the best Xbox exclusives have been through third party studios: Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Cuphead, Inside, Below, Scalebound, ReCore, Halo Wars 2 and so on.

Why are you acting as if they can't just pay someone for a game? Dead Rising 4 is close to being announced, Crytek always needs money, I mean why invest money into running a studio when an established one can create an IP for you?

blakep267

Wasn't Phantom Dust cancelled?
Not really. It was shelved until they could find a new developer. No telling if that happened already or not. If it was cancelled they'd just say it. They had no problem saying fable legends was cancelled.

I'm expecting

-Forza horizon 3
-Recore
-Sea of Thieves
-Scalebound
-Crackdown
-Halo wars( may be at gamescom)
-Gears 4 SP
- Cuphead
-Ashen

Maybes
- Phantom Dust
- Undead Labs game
- Sunset Overdrive 2
- Alan Wake 2 announcement/ teaser
- Console exclusive of PC port( maybe something like Lawbreakers or Unreal tournament)

Long shot
- D4 season 2
- Ryse 2( if Crytek came to their senses etc)

MilkyJoe

Just to jump in on this, some of the best Xbox exclusives have been through third party studios: Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Cuphead, Inside, Below, Scalebound, ReCore, Halo Wars 2 and so on.

Why are you acting as if they can't just pay someone for a game? Dead Rising 4 is close to being announced, Crytek always needs money, I mean why invest money into running a studio when an established one can create an IP for you?

He's just trolling now. Leave him be.

El_Chino

giphy.gif

Titanfall 2 seems to be marketed by PlayStation, I wonder if Xbox gonna have Battlefield at their show.

What proof do you have of this?

Miles X

Why are you acting like I'm disagreeing with you? I'm asking for realistic opinions and thanks, you gave me one! I didn't know Dead Rising 4 was close to completion and could totally see MS partnering with Capcom on that. I could also totally see them saying no looking at the PS4 base and the fact MS said no more third party buys.

I'd be amazed if Crytek ever worked with MS again ....

People seem to be ignoring, the slate is blank in terms of potential partners. Frontier are working on Planet Coaster, Harmonix seem to be done with MS, too early for something new from Moon Studios, WAY too freaking early for Alan Wake 2 to be announced.

Best hopes are Sunset Overdrive 2 for sure.

He's just trolling now. Leave him be.

What the ... no I've come up with sound arguments, you've come out with a load of bullcrap. I'm sorry I won't stick my head in the sand and think MS are gonna announce a bunch of exclusives out of nowhere that don't make any sense. That isn't trolling. You're just offended that somebody is calling out the state of Xbox right now.

Lucreto

My expectations

Gears gameplay and Trailer
Halo Wars 2 with Halo Wars BC for free
Scalebound gameplay and CE announcement
Cuphead platforming gameplay and release date
Indies
Xbox Elite and Slim announcement $350
Sea of Thieves
Halo 6 teaser
Sunset Overdrive 2 marketing but gone Multiplatform.

Mass Effect Andromeda marketing with ME1, ME2 and ME3 BC for free.
The Witcher DLC Trailer and release date
For Honour marketing
Fifa 17 trailer
Recore Gameplay and Trailer
Titanfall 2 gameplay and Trailer.

AndyD

aka andydumi
It's not exclusively showing on Spike. It is streaming on Twitch, but I'm sure you knew that after reading the OP.

My point was that it's not on TV in HD, as it traditionally was. Or at least not as widespread due to need for higher cable packages.

SOR5

You know MS don't own SO right? Do they own ReCore as well? What second party studios are free to be working on XB1 games for next year?

Whether they own the IP or not doesn't take away the fact it was a Microsoft funded title that turned up, nor the rest of the scenarios I listed. As for Recore, they trademarked it as far as I know.

And when you mean second party studios, you need to grasp that could be nearly ANYONE who takes Microsoft money will fund one of their IP's, if Microsoft are offering and someone is willing, you already have a deal.

This is all in solely in reference to what youre expecting at E3 or not, your argument seems to be that Microsoft are confined to whatever their first party studios are doing, and that anyone else needs to be "friends" like Remedy or Bioware.

To summarise: You could get a new Battletoads, a new Age of Empires, a new IP altogether, a new Midtown Madness even, it doesnt need to be done by Rare or 343i

You guys keep ignoring the question, what are you expecting them to announce in 2017 and from who?

You seem to be referencing AAA games in your comment, with that regard I think we'll continue to see MS's pillar franchises from the 1st party, then focus on using 2nd party partnerships to fill out their lineup. This has been what they've been doing throughout this generation, and I believe it will not only continue, but proliferate. So, I'm expecting we'll see new AAA IP and/or sequels coming from 2nd party partnerships announced at E3 (or Gamescom), and coming in 2017.

Miles X

I'm excited, more Sea of thieves please.

Wow, a lot of concern trolling holy shit.

Is that aimed at me? I'm a huge xbox fan thanks, only system I've owned over the last 10 years. Again, being realistic doesn't = trolling.

You seem to be referencing AAA games in your comment, with that regard I think we'll continue to see MS's pillar franchises from the 1st party, then focus on using 2nd party partnerships to fill out their lineup. This has been what they've been doing throughout this generation, and I believe it will not only continue, but proliferate. So, I'm expecting we'll see new AAA IP and/or sequels coming from 2nd party partnerships announced at E3 (or Gamescom), and coming in 2017.

I kinda agree with you, moreso that they'll have a consolidated first party working on the typical franchises, but much smaller indie titles. Which is great, but they seem to be few and far between and take bloody ages to release. Inside and Cuphead for instance seem to be about as anticpated as the big games, which is great. But then you have games like Below which are taking an age.

This guy...

Ha, it's kinda funny I've spent a decade defending Xbox/MS. Hope I wasn't as tone deaf as you lot during those years.

bidguy

Banned
just fyi remedy started working on an alan wake sequel BEFORE quantum break so seeing some sort of trailer is not out of the question

blakep267

it could be from anyone. Who was expecting armature or Ensemble to be making Xbox games. You act as if there are only a few studios that are capable of making games

Miles X

just fyi remedy started working on an alan wake sequel BEFORE quantum break so seeing some sort of trailer is not out of the question

Link?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-03-07-remedy-is-still-in-talks-about-alan-wake-2

That'd be awesome but it doesn't seem to be the case as of March ..

it could be from anyone. Who was expecting armature or Ensemble to be making Xbox games. You act as if there are only a few studios that are capable of making games

Fair enough, I hope you're right.

Estocolmo

Beside the usual stuff like Gears, Halo, Forza and the other stuff we know are coming. I'm speculating that we will see....

- New Mojang title. Minecraft 2 perhaps?
- New IP from State of Decay developer
- Quantum Break DLC. Horde mode maybe?
- Banjo-Threeie
- Phantom Dust
- New unknown IP

blakep267

My money is still on MS, Sony might not want TF2 to steal the show from COD.
I see it as either battlefield or TF2 would go MS and the other to Sony. But if one of them is releasing in November then that's just dumb. COD and Star Wars weren't exactly the same game but Titanfall and COD are cutting it kinda close and idk why EA would want that

Alan Wake 2 on QB's engine would be fantastic, but so soon after QB...i just don't see it happening. It's known that AW2 was already in the making before QB though. I remember several teases from Remedy even before QB was out.

Miles X

The guy is right, Microsoft have always hired "mercenaries" to work for them, whether for absolute fodder like half the Kinect library, or really solid titles like Lost Odyssey or Ori or Crackdown

I just remember the latter years of 360, don't you? Dead. When MS is hitting it out of the park they do it BIG time, I remember 2010 I think, with Splinter Cell, Mass Effect, Alan Wake, Crackdown 2 ect, amazing.

I don't even think it's a bad thing they're coasting right now, I want them to be planning either a comeback, getting their studios and partnerships ready for that, or go PC exclusive. Right now though I just feel they're entering a lul much like the latter years of the 360.

I see it as either battlefield or TF2 would go MS and the other to Sony. But if one of them is releasing in November then that's just dumb. COD and Star Wars weren't exactly the same game but Titanfall and COD are cutting it kinda close and idk why EA would want that

I doubt Sony will want to ruffle feathers with Activision if they are coming out in the same timeframe. I can see BF on with MS and if titanfall is being revealed at the EA event it can very much not be marketed with either but I think that will still go to MS.

arhra

That would be a damn shame. SO for example was fantastic and i'd love another one or something else from Insomniac. Scalebound is one of the few third party exclusives i am very excited about.

Neither of those are third-party exclusives. That would be deals like RotTR, or Sony's deal for SFV.

SOR5

I just remember the latter years of 360, don't you? When MS is hitting it out of the park they do it BIG time, I remember 2010 I think, with Splinter Cell, Mass Effect, Alan Wake, Crackdown 2 ect, amazing.

I don't even think it's a bad thing they're coasting right now, I want them to be planning either a comeback, getting their studios and partnerships ready for that, or go PC exclusive. Right now though I just feel they're entering a lul much like the latter years of the 360.

I think every company needs to start hitting out of the park, just like the sixth gen (sorta)
I agree with you that they've been quiet as hell, but anything could happen, you could get a mass rebranding, a new model, a bunch of IP's out of nowhere, or you could get a completely disappointing E3, all we can do is speculate.

Top Bottom