• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite 2 controller is having widespread issues

For anybody here with sticking A buttons that would rather avoid returning it, there are a couple quick fixes.

I decided to take mine apart to see what could be causing people issues because the mechanicals shouldn't even be able to get stuck. Physically the button setup is identical in design to every other controller made since the NES controller. A rubber membrane with a contact patch that completes a circuit pattern printed on the board below it. This gets depressed when the button is pushed down onto it, and pops back into place afterwards. This membrane is one of the few parts that is actually shard with the other controller, and I think it's been the same membrane part since the launch Xbone controller (not sure though as I no longer have one to compare it to, but it looks the same). The buttons and the tubes they slot into are the same shape and size as other Xbone controllers so it's not a design flaw, but an assembly error (Still not good, but at least fixable).

The sticking button is being caused by the adhesive used to attach the faceplate solidly to the frame. The whole face snaps into place physically, but to keep the face from buzzing against the inner frame when the rumble motors come on they applied a couple of 2-sided adhesive strips as well, one below the analog stick and one below the A button (these are the only major obstacle when pulling the face off as they are pretty sticky). These strips were clearly placed by hand, and likely haphazardly (think one poor fucker on an assembly line slapping tape on a hundred of these every hour) On some of the controllers the strips were placed encroaching on the opening for the A button and is contacting the side of the button. On my controller the adhesive is just about touching the opening for the A-button.

Basically alcohol (try to get 99+%, the board in the controller is clear-coated and water resistant, but water + complex electronics is still just never a great idea) and a soft toothbrush will fix it quickly. Work your way around the bottom 1/2 of the button slowly and let the bristles get down into the controller while moving back and forth. You don't need any real pressure. The alcohol will evaporate fairly quickly so you'll want to rinse and re-wet your brush. Let it dry for a bit and check the button to see if it still sticks.

The other option is to just use the controller until the adhesive strip wears away from use. Many people that reported the button issue also reported that it stops happening after awhile, likely because the adhesive wore away. The more adhesive is contacting the button the worse it will be, so depending on that this method might take more time.

I wish i could use it on multiple consoles just as easy as you say

If you're having issues with the bluetooth connecting to multiple consoles easily and still have (or ever had) the dongle for the original Elite, the new one can use the dongle as well. I still have my old Elite's dongle plugged into the back of my PC. I keep the Series 1 as a backup in case I ever do manage to forget to charge the new one, and the Series 2 tends to sync to the dongle by default so I just went with it. Microsoft has a tendency to fuck up bluetooth drivers on laptops and PCs every odd update so I'm probably better off anyways.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
Friend of mine has one and he has issue with the Bluetooth as well as the analog stick drifting. For the price people pad for the controller it shouldn't have all these issues

Last edited:

IDappa

It's a controller i wrote about not your mother.
Grow some skin
When I first read your first post I thought you were just being a tool with a silver spoon in your mouth but gave you the benefit of the doubt, I’m glad you could prove me wrong.

Tygeezy

Most modern games dont generally support gyro so thats hardly a factor imo (also the switch pro controller does have gyro)

what i care about is comfort and battery, whilst comfort is debatable between symmetrical and asymmetrical, the battery is factually shit. And the analog quality is subpar.
If you use the gamepads with a pc every game supports gryoscope. Both the pro controller and dual shock 4 are superior to any xbox controller in that instance. It's also embarrassing that a pc makes better use of a dualshock 4 than a ps4, but that's another discussion.

This is straight out of the box allegedly.

I assumed it was yours, my bad, just trying to help.

It's not something that happens with use, it actually goes away with use, or a toothbrush. it's two-sided sticky tape that's partially covering the hole that was poorly placed at the factory on the assembly line.

yoyo67

I love my controller, glad I don't have any issues. It's early enough to return and get another not a big deal since its early.

Reactions: Isa

nemiroff

Gold Member
As I posted above. If you have a toothbrush, alcohol and a couple minutes you can easily fix this.

Yeah, and I fixed my sticky A button just by playing games a couple of days. It was kinda annoying to receive the controller in this state and not knowing "what's going on", but the button is perfect now, so.. yeah

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
That’s why I always wait for the second production and never the launch. This is normal, nothing out of this world.

And it’s why I always say that major players like Microsoft... and Apple... need to bend over backwards to take care of their early adopters when things go wrong.

Early adopters are gold.

They’re making the ride much easier for everyone coming after. Let’s face it, somebody has to be the first. We shouldn’t call early adopters stupid... we should call them ‘loyal’. The truth is, many of these people are perfectly aware that they ‘might’ end up having problems by being the first to adopt - but they proceed anyway because they understand that somebody has to be the first.

Personally, I’ve been an early adopter a few times myself. It’s not pleasant when people call you stupid and it’s not necessary. I personally don’t think of myself as being stupid - nor do I feel that way about other early adopters.

Mista, I’m not saying that you yourself feel this way. But I’ve seen others express themselves in this fashion, and I personally think it’s unnecessary.

And it’s why I always say that major players like Microsoft... and Apple... need to bend over backwards to take care of their early adopters when things go wrong.

Early adopters are gold.

They’re making the ride much easier for everyone coming after. Let’s face it, somebody has to be the first. We shouldn’t call early adopters stupid... we should call them ‘loyal’. The truth is, many of these people are perfectly aware that they ‘might’ end up having problems by being the first to adopt - but they proceed anyway because they understand that somebody has to be the first.

Personally, I’ve been an early adopter a few times myself. It’s not pleasant when people call you stupid and it’s not necessary. I personally don’t think of myself as being stupid - nor do I feel that way about other early adopters.

Mista, I’m not saying that you yourself feel this way. But I’ve seen others express themselves in this fashion, and I personally think it’s unnecessary.

If nobody buys the new things they might not make a second run of them. If I see something I know I want, and I think it should exist on the market I'll show my support and buy it. That goes for everything from games, to devices, to cars. Nothing will ever have a 0% failure rate, especially at or near the product launch, and 99% of the time I have no issues with my stuff. The odd occasion I do a polite call, or breaking out my tools has it fixed quickly if I know how to do it myself.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I'm getting mine this weekend who is everyone using for extended warranty? I'm debating between Walmart and trade square. The latter I can get accidental for extra 20 or so over 3 years. I am looking at them since they are both 3 years others I found are 2 year. Early xmas present for me! Was almost not going to have to skip it for a new X but a new fan off Ebay fixed it. What are the odds of the fan just dying on a X lol never heard of it. Thank god it has great thermal shutdown.

Poppyseed

For anybody here with sticking A buttons that would rather avoid returning it, there are a couple quick fixes.

I decided to take mine apart to see what could be causing people issues because the mechanicals shouldn't even be able to get stuck. Physically the button setup is identical in design to every other controller made since the NES controller. A rubber membrane with a contact patch that completes a circuit pattern printed on the board below it. This gets depressed when the button is pushed down onto it, and pops back into place afterwards. This membrane is one of the few parts that is actually shard with the other controller, and I think it's been the same membrane part since the launch Xbone controller (not sure though as I no longer have one to compare it to, but it looks the same). The buttons and the tubes they slot into are the same shape and size as other Xbone controllers so it's not a design flaw, but an assembly error (Still not good, but at least fixable).

The sticking button is being caused by the adhesive used to attach the faceplate solidly to the frame. The whole face snaps into place physically, but to keep the face from buzzing against the inner frame when the rumble motors come on they applied a couple of 2-sided adhesive strips as well, one below the analog stick and one below the A button (these are the only major obstacle when pulling the face off as they are pretty sticky). These strips were clearly placed by hand, and likely haphazardly (think one poor fucker on an assembly line slapping tape on a hundred of these every hour) On some of the controllers the strips were placed encroaching on the opening for the A button and is contacting the side of the button. On my controller the adhesive is just about touching the opening for the A-button.

Basically alcohol (try to get 99+%, the board in the controller is clear-coated and water resistant, but water + complex electronics is still just never a great idea) and a soft toothbrush will fix it quickly. Work your way around the bottom 1/2 of the button slowly and let the bristles get down into the controller while moving back and forth. You don't need any real pressure. The alcohol will evaporate fairly quickly so you'll want to rinse and re-wet your brush. Let it dry for a bit and check the button to see if it still sticks.

The other option is to just use the controller until the adhesive strip wears away from use. Many people that reported the button issue also reported that it stops happening after awhile, likely because the adhesive wore away. The more adhesive is contacting the button the worse it will be, so depending on that this method might take more time.

If you're having issues with the bluetooth connecting to multiple consoles easily and still have (or ever had) the dongle for the original Elite, the new one can use the dongle as well. I still have my old Elite's dongle plugged into the back of my PC. I keep the Series 1 as a backup in case I ever do manage to forget to charge the new one, and the Series 2 tends to sync to the dongle by default so I just went with it. Microsoft has a tendency to fuck up bluetooth drivers on laptops and PCs every odd update so I'm probably better off anyways.

Does your fix address the A button not responding to anything but a firm press? Just got my Series 2 and this is the only issue I'm having with it, but it's annoying as heck!

Last edited:

Tiamat2san

I used to have an elite controller.
The grip was badly glued or something, I changed the controller twice (at least it was free)
The third time I bought The razer wolverine ultimate .
Great controller , lighter, the sticks are better and the D-pad (once you played for a little wide yo soften it) is excellent.
The buttons are fantastic too.
Only problem it is not wireless.
If Sony announce the forward compatibility for controllers , I’ll buy the baiju ultimate. (I hate DualShock 4 buttons and sticks)

Does your fix address the A button not responding to anything but a firm press? Just got my Series 2 and this is the only issue I'm having with it, but it's annoying as heck!

Threw this together quick, it's not the V2, but it's the same arrangement.

F0sNgMr.jpg

So you see, each button has a pad and a printed circuit. The circuit has many arms extending, but not touching. The pad on the membrane completes this circuit for a button press. The redundant contact points should eliminate missed presses. It's extremely rare for this arrangement to not work properly, it's how all controller face buttons operate outside mechanical switches like the ones used for the D-pad.

Your issue seems to indicate something is stopping contact until you press hard and deform the pad enough to touch the contacts. That is something you'd have to take the controller apart to fix, in your case I'd make a phone call or return it where you bought it from. To get at that area you'd need to fully disassemble the controller and risk damaging something in the process. It's not likely going to stop with use either.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

My A button has started to do this. If I press it from the top it definitely feels like it's not making a full contact where as if I press it firmly it works just fine. Mashing the button will see like 1out of 15 won't register.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I'm getting mine this weekend who is everyone using for extended warranty? I'm debating between Walmart and trade square. The latter I can get accidental for extra 20 or so over 3 years. I am looking at them since they are both 3 years others I found are 2 year. Early xmas present for me! Was almost not going to have to skip it for a new X but a new fan off Ebay fixed it. What are the odds of the fan just dying on a X lol never heard of it. Thank god it has great thermal shutdown.
What's trade square?

quest

Not Banned from OT
Have you used it before? How's it work?
Not used it before have not used the Walmart one either. I would do best buy but they never have them in stock for replacement if it is bad in the first few months. They seem the best reading reddit and the first elite threads. I check daily and local best buy never has any Walmart has 3 so I can exchange if bad buttons.

Phase

There seems to be a lot of companies today that can't be bothered to make a quality product. Maybe we shouldn't bother giving them money anymore.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
There seems to be a lot of companies today that can't be bothered to make a quality product. Maybe we shouldn't bother giving them money anymore.

Well, the thing is, this is a quality product with quality components, the general premium feel of this controller is unmatched. With that said, there are clearly quality issues in production/assembly, which of course is still no excuse, they absolutely need to fix that.

This is a real shame because didn't the first gen also have a bunch of issues too?

For some yes. In the years I used mine (daily) I honestly never noticed anything, even after regularly dropping it on hardwood floor.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
I purchased the original Elite day one and am still using it today without issue. I can’t believe it’s been 4 years!

Prior to the Elite, Xbox controllers were constantly breaking on me - left and right thumbsticks would drift, face buttons would stick, bumpers would break. In the 4 years I’ve owned the thing I’ve not had a single problem with my Elite, and this is from almost daily use.

Maybe I got lucky - but my original Elite has proven to be the best peripheral purchase I’ve ever made.

Last edited:

HelpYouFall

180 is not particularly pricy for a pro controller. Its in the same league of Astro C40 TR, and even on the lower end.
And the Elite v2 is much better than the Astro IMO.

So you're saying it's not a pricy and premium controller? Sure, everything can be 'put in perspective', but c'mon man ...

Top Bottom