• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

Lnkn52

My friend bought one and I tried it out. My only issue is that the way I hold the controller I would be pressing the paddles underneath and I don't know if I would enjoy altering that.

Maybe I just need some more time with it.

The build quality was great and I really liked the magnetic features of it.

I hope Sony does something a little similar or at least makes use of the touchpad more.
4 paddles is a bit overkill. Using the top two should be enough and would let you grip your control normally.

The good thing in my case is that the Elite hasn't ruined other controllers for me. The Forza one has in a way, though, because it introduced me to grips. It's hard to go back to a regular controller now, but I could I'm sure.

It's fine. Stop doing this to yourself. There is more moisture in your hands. No moisture from a shower would penetrate the case.

I'm honestly starting to think you're trolling now. This is getting stupid.

I know. That's just how my mind works.

With OCD, you KNOW it's stupid. However, you still can't stop obsessing over it.

This is from a great Cracked article, and it's true:

But you'll believe it of yourself as well. You'll be standing in your bathroom at three in the morning, scrubbing your pocket change because you've been awake for hours wondering if it could contaminate your clothes and make you a danger to the people around you, and you'll be unable to stop, but you'll know that what you're doing is crazy.

OCD is "ego dystonic," which means "out of sync with your ideal self" or "making you look and feel like an asshole." People with personality disorders usually think they're always in the right, and people with psychosis often don't realize that their delusions are coming from their heads. But one of the defining aspects of OCD is knowing that your thoughts are bizarre and your rituals are senseless.

Additionally, OCDers don't even get any joy out of their compulsions. Relief, sure, but it's temporary, like scratching a mosquito bite or responding to a YouTube comment. You don't want to count all the leaves on every tree you pass, you have to.

I think I'm good, though. I'm slowly getting over the fear.

Ade

Believe me I know how OCD works,but spam posting about it is probably counter productive..

As has been said by many though more moisture will be exposed to your controller by using it, than will have been by having it in a box, in a case in a room adjacent to someone showering.

Vitacat

I feel like I've ruined controllers forever, with this.

I'm no longer excited by my Elite. The paddles and are no longer a novelty and the materials and weight don't feel unusual any more. But every time I have to pick up a normal controller, I'm like "eeuuuww".

Yeah, I had that happen the other day when I went to play something with a 360 controller. The Elite feels "normal" to me now, but when I go to use older controllers they feel crappier than they used to.

I'm still smarting from my first Elite (I own 2: one from my Elite bundle and a second one I bought for 2 player games) developing a sticky LB after a few weeks. Replacement coming on Wednesday from Microsoft -- praying it's perfect and lasts a long time without defects. My 2nd Elite is doing well so far.

Thought I wouldn't use this other than FPS games, but i started Velocity 2X last night and instantly remapped. No way I could play that with the default controls.

This is a dumb question, but where are the batteries located inside of the packaging, again? I opened mine up, and have looked, but I don't see any, so I think they forgot to include them.

This is a dumb question, but where are the batteries located inside of the packaging, again? I opened mine up, and have looked, but I don't see any, so I think they forgot to include them.

In the long, thin box at the base of the controller. The USB cable is in the same box.

In the long, thin box at the base of the controller. The USB cable is in the same box.

Okay. I wondered, but didn't feel batteries inside of it. I'll have to take a look.

I thought they were just in the case before, but I was wrong. Maybe I never took them out of the one I returned.

thenameDS

So happy I finally managed to pick one up, it feels so good. Even coming from the Lunar which have a grip the grip on the Elite it's much better. Can't get use to using the bottom paddles and with 4 it's even worse for me. Quite happy just using the top ones which i find very comfortable.

What stick movement are you guys using? I've been using smooth on my FPS profile and I seem to enjoy it quite a bit.

Grumbul

I've been using this since December and it has pretty much replaced my DS4 for PC gaming.

Love the weight and overall feel of the controller.

However (and this is where I feel I completely failed in my research prior to buying) what on earth is with the complete and utter lack of customisation?

I was absolutely floored and utterly dismayed to discover the Windows 10 software (bearing in mind I upgraded to W10 solely for to be able to use this controller) only allows remapping of the paddles (and other buttons/sticks) to other buttons and sticks.

Seriously what on earth?

My sole purpose in ditching the DS4 and 'upgrading' was to enable myself to have 4 more customisable buttons for use in games like Skyrim etc.

As much as the controller is great in terms of build quality and overall feel the lack of keyboard bindings makes this a complete waste of my money to be honest.

Is there anything out there that 'fixes' this awful oversight?

are the bumpers significantly better than a standard xbox one controller? i LOVE the xbox one controller, except the bumpers feel like cheap, clicky pieces of shit, i would buy this controller if it just improved on those alone tbh

Pepiope

are the bumpers significantly better than a standard xbox one controller? i LOVE the xbox one controller, except the bumpers feel like cheap, clicky pieces of shit, i would buy this controller if it just improved on those alone tbh
Everything on this controller feels better than a regular XB1 controller. Once you play with one of these things the regular Xbox controller just feels wrong.

eek5

I haven't used the new designed standard controllers but the bumpers feel great on the elite. The old ones felt awkward and would sometimes be painful to use regularly for me. Haven't noticed the elite bumpers at all (which means they must be doing their job well)

Justinh

I've been using this since December and it has pretty much replaced my DS4 for PC gaming.

Love the weight and overall feel of the controller.

However (and this is where I feel I completely failed in my research prior to buying) what on earth is with the complete and utter lack of customisation?

I was absolutely floored and utterly dismayed to discover the Windows 10 software (bearing in mind I upgraded to W10 solely for to be able to use this controller) only allows remapping of the paddles (and other buttons/sticks) to other buttons and sticks.

Seriously what on earth?

My sole purpose in ditching the DS4 and 'upgrading' was to enable myself to have 4 more customisable buttons for use in games like Skyrim etc.

As much as the controller is great in terms of build quality and overall feel the lack of keyboard bindings makes this a complete waste of my money to be honest.

Is there anything out there that 'fixes' this awful oversight?

I don't see how it could be "fixed" short of like... a firmware update or something since the profiles are stored on the actual controller. If you were looking for a controller with just more buttons or able to do macros, then I don't think the elite is for you. That said, I have had to update my controllers like... twice now I think.

I guess it is possible for the paddles to have more options in the future...
- Q: Can I map screenshot or DVR functionality?
- A: No. It's possible in theory. The chatpad will have inputs for screenshots and DVR though.

Maybe try tweeting Phil and ask if there's an expanded PC Xbox Accessories app in the works?

I haven't used the new designed standard controllers but the bumpers feel great on the elite. The old ones felt awkward and would sometimes be painful to use regularly for me. Haven't noticed the elite bumpers at all (which means they must be doing their job well)

Yeah, I didn't even mind the old ones that much except for certain games where I had to hold the button down. The new ones feel so much better, though that I hate going back to an old controller with the old bumpers.

EDIT: Would the carrying case protect the thing from moisture well? I accidentally left my new unopened one in a family member's bedroom which has an adjoining washroom, and forgot to move it before they showered a couple of times. But the door was closed, the vent was on and the thing is in a heavy box plus carrying case. I'm sure it's fine.

You are a fucking lunatic.

You are a fucking lunatic.

Thanks

I used the controller yesterday and it's fine. Worked perfectly without any issues. Happy with this one for sure.

The joystick made a bit of a noise at first, but it went away after a short period.

I think I'll just use it sparingly, though. I'm very happy with my Forza controller as my main, and want to keep the Elite in great condition/reduce wear and tear. If they announce a white one, I'll be buying that and will make the black one my main in the future. But I only really need it for shooters.

Spasm

Everything on this controller feels better than a regular XB1 controller. Once you play with one of these things the regular Xbox controller just feels wrong.
I had to send mine off for a bad left bumper. It was gone for a whole two days. In its absence, I used my Titanfall controller. It felt like epic garbage in my hands. I opted to just wait for the replacement rather than use that trash.

I was afraid it might spoil me. I didn't realize how bad it would be.

Pepiope

I had to send mine off for a bad left bumper. It was gone for a whole two days. In its absence, I used my Titanfall controller. It felt like epic garbage in my hands. I opted to just wait for the replacement rather than use that trash.

I was afraid it might spoil me. I didn't realize how bad it would be.
It really does suck. Any time I touch the regular XB1 controller I feel like it's some cheap $10 knock off.

Oynox

Sold my old Xbox One + Kinect + Second Controller to buy a Elite Bundle for effectively 50€. Finally I got my hands on an Elite controller. The grip feels nice, the additional weight as well. The rounded D-Pad is hard to use with shooters imho.

Sticks feel strangely... "hard", they seem to recenter way faster, there is this bit of resistance which feels unusual. I will never understand who uses konvex sticks, but I tried those long ones. Odd as well, but I will try to get used to them since I heard they are good for your aim. Four paddles are two too much to start playing with paddles for the first time. I always fear pressing the lower ones and play worse than ever before paying attention not to press them. Hair triggers worth gold! Adjustable settings are quite deep, to complicated to start with, but I think you can do some powerful stuff changing deadzones etc..

I hope developers will throw some button configurations on the market... or the community does so. I do not want to restart a game several times, searching for the best layout lol.

I still don't know what I like best in terms of a set-up, other than the 360 degree d-pad being a must.

I have enjoyed using a regular stick on the left and the big, rounded one on the right, but I may change it up.

The rounded D-Pad is hard to use with shooters imho.

I love the rounded d-pad, but since I mostly play shooters, I really get no use out of it. Even 2D platformers tend to feel good with the analog stick, so I can't see myself ever using the rounded one. I don't really player fighting games much at all.

I will never understand who uses konvex sticks, but I tried those long ones. Odd as well, but I will try to get used to them since I heard they are good for your aim.

I've always hated convex sticks, but tried the ones with the elite and actually feel like it works for my left stick. I feel like most of my movements on the left stick are all or nothing, and I don't need precision. I end up pressing the stick sort of from the side, and the concave stick is a little rougher on my thumb, especially if I'm clicking it to sprint a lot. I can't do the convex stick on the right though, I feel like I get way more precision out of the concave ones.

I really don't like the longer stick on the left though. It feels like I'm putting more effort into using it, which isn't needed on that stick. I need a short convex one for the left, but I don't think anyone is selling accessories for this thing, even replacements. I do use the long concave stick on the right, and feel like it gives me slightly more precision.

I've always hated convex sticks, but tried the ones with the elite and actually feel like it works for my left stick. I feel like most of my movements on the left stick are all or nothing, and I don't need precision. I end up pressing the stick sort of from the side, and the concave stick is a little rougher on my thumb, especially if I'm clicking it to sprint a lot. I can't do the convex stick on the right though, I feel like I get way more precision out of the concave ones.

I really don't like the longer stick on the left though. It feels like I'm putting more effort into using it, which isn't needed on that stick. I need a short convex one for the left, but I don't think anyone is selling accessories for this thing, even replacements. I do use the long concave stick on the right, and feel like it gives me slightly more precision.

The concave ones definitely offer more precision, so I'm with you there. Convex doesn't work well on the left, but it's good on the right.

The concave ones definitely offer more precision, so I'm with you there. Convex doesn't work well on the left, but it's good on the right.

Probably has a lot to do with what you're playing. I mostly play shooters, so I want precision on the right, and comfort on the left. If I were buying a Scuf or something that I couldn't swap stuff around on, I'd go with a short domed left stick, and a long concave right stick.

Oynox

Probably has a lot to do with what you're playing. I mostly play shooters, so I want precision on the right, and comfort on the left. If I were buying a Scuf or something that I couldn't swap stuff around on, I'd go with a short domed left stick, and a long concave right stick.

I will try that later!

I've only really used this for Halo. I will with Call of Duty, too, once I start that, but I see it as a controller for shooters.

Vitacat

Just following up about my replacement Elite, in case anyone wondered. Got it yesterday and it's perfect. Now just crossing my fingers that the bumpers hold up a lot better.

JGCD

Neo Member
I saw the controller back on amazon at work and got swamped so hard that i had to wait afterwards to go on the app and buy it but it was already back to 200 :mad:

Got home and check gamestop and bingo bango there it is :D
Bought and one day shipping this is now my main PC controller (Next to Steam controller, Pro controller and mouse and keyboard)

Pepiope

I may have asked this before, but do you guys worry about wear and tear on these things and try to use them only on certain games?
I honestly have never had a controller break on me at any point before, and this controller is a few steps above any other controller on the market. It'll be fine.

The Elite isn't really any better than the default controller in terms of durability imho. I know it feels quality, but the consumable parts (switches) are the same as far as anyone can tell.

If you've never worn out a controller, then I envy you because I go through two a year easy. :/

I probably won't buy the Elite going forward for this reason, and my brother, who plays a lot of CoD, is going to solder new switches, which isn't something we don't bother with usually.

I've never worn out a controller, but that is a worry and why I won't just use it for every game, especially beat 'em ups like Zheros.

I'm pretty easy on things, though. Then again, I only play multiplayer sporadically and don't game a ton each day.

Does anyone else's faceted d-pad not fit tightly in the carrying case? Mine falls loose if the case isn't laying flat. The regular d-pad fits nice and tight though. I don't really like the thought of putting it all in the case, then the d-pad rattling around and hitting the controller. I'm thinking about if there's something I could shove in there to make it fit tighter.

Does anyone else's faceted d-pad not fit tightly in the carrying case? Mine falls loose if the case isn't laying flat. The regular d-pad fits nice and tight though. I don't really like the thought of putting it all in the case, then the d-pad rattling around and hitting the controller. I'm thinking about if there's something I could shove in there to make it fit tighter.

Mine falls out too. An easier solution might be to put the circle pad on the controller when you're storing it?

Vitacat

I honestly have never had a controller break on me at any point before, and this controller is a few steps above any other controller on the market. It'll be fine.

I never had a controller break on me either.

Until the Elite.

4 weeks and the LB went bad. I still love this controller, but am leery about the quality of materials inside now.

Also, one of the paddle switches in my replacement is not very clicky. It works, but not the same level of feedback as the others. Not going to go thru the hassle of another replacement as it does work fine. But these things may have some quality control and build issues that a $150 controller should not have, much less a $60 one.

And this is coming from someone who was very enthusiastic and initially defensive of this controller. I am still enthusiastic, and still consider it the overall best controller I've used. But sadly it is not perfect, and might have some potential durability and quality issues under the hood.

OCDChewie was not wrong.

I may have asked this before, but do you guys worry about wear and tear on these things and try to use them only on certain games?

Well, since my LB issue I do worry about overuse of the bumpers. Isn't that sad on a $150 controller? Yesterday I used my CronusMax to try using the Elite with Bloodborne, and quickly realized how hard that game is on RB, so I went back to the DS4.

Yes, same here. I think it's just par for the course. It's not as tight a fit as the disc, which is odd since the bottom is basically the same. Anyway, I exclusively use the disc (love it) so it hasn't been an issue. But yeah, you are not alone.

FDBMath

So I pulled the trigger on the elite controller. The price was right. Took part in a health screening at work and was able to get a gift card to Target for $100. Ordered it online, should be here by Friday. Looking forward to it.

I've found that using the small paddles in the lower slots makes them sit more flush with the controller, and are therefore more comfortable. Then I got to wondering, what if all the paddles were a bit smaller?

Found some guy on Reddit who thought the same thing:
https://www.reddit.com/r/CruciblePl...elite_controller_4_paddles_uncomfortable_for/
SbdJJczPHHrrLwTcQOAyDhd5mc_ZgT3PBr8GUHG5-iUJ7lMDOztjCVsfFVAc4uND_pEUzqb_WgQV_6ehXZ1XTlJs0Zz9AvMgTYKds1E3aXSweaP1sGIitvpnFrgTi_7c8IdwfsXYdN9_N8uOmVbocDui3livLH3fOCerDfCN_JtEN_356OXQn_DxcPM6O4ryxt34HK0ZlMU3Jy_aZr7JMm7hVGo1cp9cWtg-xQtS_RwcOZYhfWNAVgKK9dH9LPDzdrnuUetRAFF9va8YEk2rt1RuHeLULmdYOnLMWp6FxffP2u3GSCGTd8dcNWuauEC0_bogQMJZj8Nud1FNm9wQgjbuTydAhO99661WFBPnGDhg06Qj_5eWSJ0YLCJXDb5ebuJP1_JhtlHIk7KXwA_OYKbuETn51LDzHNnGl4rtpF_4g_5v53Kgluvrhkolqc_YRmhJo42Qg7kffvxZWL6eqL2Aslzncy3vTHudeoEnIoapRRgyqqzrcef-ufJu6NfcStT8T3vMZbWhil94uLHiSngY-0_9sfDmEdcqz3GS149TNM2bg1q_qohkvhUT7qAP_KDN=w1434-h1075-no

He did a pretty rough job of cutting them down, but if it could be done cleaner, I think I might really like this. Even if you do really mess them up, it's only $15 to get a full set of replacement paddles from MS.

allgames

Finally got this via gamestop online.
What a difference from the regular controller. I had to replace the XboxOne controller 3 times because the thumbstick kept breaking and I only play madden pretty much.
This controller has really made a difference in precision control and feels fantastic in your hands. Pricey yes, but definitely worth it for me.

The paddles on the back though, completely annoying and in the way. Took them off immediately as they have no use in madden

sangreal

Finally got this via gamestop online.
What a difference from the regular controller. I had to replace the XboxOne controller 3 times because the thumbstick kept breaking and I only play madden pretty much.
This controller has really made a difference in precision control and feels fantastic in your hands. Pricey yes, but definitely worth it for me.

The paddles on the back though, completely annoying and in the way. Took them off immediately as they have no use in madden

I use them in madden for l3 and r3

fuck pressing in the sticks, seriously. with only 2 paddles, they don't get in the way

Revas

I've been using my Elite since about the 20th of December and I'm thoroughly impressed with it. Convex left stick and tall concave right stick are treating my just fine with TItanfall, plus I love all the options to customize things within the app. MS really knocked this thing out of the park.

So I've had my elite controller since October 26th. I just used my astro white controller and i feel the sticks are 100 times better on it and not as loose, doesn't really make sense to me.

Ryaaan14

Banned
Oh my god Amazon finally got them back in stock last week

eplhOJd.png

f47ItyJ.gif

I gotta think of the perfect game to play now that I'm gonna be elite............

Top Bottom