• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

Yeah it's awkward. I'm trying to use them for jumping in H5 but it kinda messes me up. Probably because I didn't use them from the start. Easier to train than re-train.
I'm gonna run through Halo on normal and heroic and try to figure them out. I keep hitting them on accident lol.

Madness

I'm having trouble adjusting to the paddles. Anyone feel the same?

A lot of people feel like that. In my opinion, it's a huge design flaw and really ruins the reason the paddles are even there. They're FAR too sensitive and there is no real fix for them. People try to switch them around, there is rumors that companies are working on game specific sticks and paddles that would work better, but I don't know. The mechanism for how they're pressed is the same. You want them to be easily pressable but you also want to maintain proper hand control, comfort especially during tense moments.

For all the attention to detail on making it feel and look solid, a lot of actual utility is out the window reusing the same internals from the base controllers (I know so many people with wonky LB buttons, stick defects like drift/slow turn already), building such sensitive paddles where people usually rest their fingers. Almost every single Halo pro has gone back to using Scuf controllers for that very reason (doubt they all are sponsored). I regret my purchase, but it is what it is.

Don't get me wrong, it's one of the best controllers ever made, but for the price of an arm and leg, it's much more flash than substance to me (love the trigger locks and feel of the controller though).

I only use the two small ones. I couldn't have my hand not clench and not accidently hit the larger ones. I'd say start with 1 or 2 and move up as you get more comfertable.

I have Left paddle as jump , right as thrust in Halo 5.
I haven't set it up for other games yet.

I've had my Elite controller since December 1st, since that was the day Best Buy was allowed to sell them.

Either way, I was on the fence about purchasing one because of the price. After having it for some time now, it's well worth the price and one of the best controllers I've used.

As for people not getting used to the paddles, all I can say, it takes some time to adjust. I'm the type the grip my controller hard and I had to adjust my grip because of those paddles.

I have different configurations for different games and I've learned to use the paddles effectively.

For new purchasers, dont expect to game better instantly just because you have extra controls. Just not going to happen. You pretty much have to train yourself that you have extra controls on the underside of the controller.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Just bought the controller. Love the feeling.

Shouldn't this be plug and play with the USB cable on PC like the 360 controller? Just pluged it in and it doesn't work. Am I missing something?

For those of you having issue adapting to paddles, try using just the upper two and remove bottom two.

Then start training your mind by setting the left paddle to left stick click and right paddle to right stick click. This helped me adapt and ultimately had made it an easier transition to where the feels normal now.

By the way this is mainly for tps and fps games with sprint and melee.

Just bought the controller. Love the feeling.

Shouldn't this be plug and play with the USB cable on PC like the 360 controller? Just pluged it in and it doesn't work. Am I missing something?

Shouldn't be an issue. Try a different port. Try a different cable. You should feel it rumble as soon as you plug it in to let you know it was recognized.

I did feel the rumble but it wasn't working anyway. Fixed it by installing this driver.

http://mjr.mn/XboxOnePCDriversx64

Thanks reddit!

There is still no way to configure anything on this controller with Windows 8.1, right?

Ah, of course. I forget that there's a split right now between 10 and folks on 8. The driver I believe I necessary for anything below 10.

I don't believe the customization app is on anything but the Xbox or W10 right now. Pretty dumb. But it's also pretty dumb that you can't do more complex mapping on the PC than anything other than just the existing buttons on the controller too. I sincerely hope MS changes this in the future. It really holds this controller back on PC. There are probably third party apps to get around this, so you could look, but I'm not personally interested in running them.

Edit: Edited for clarity

I thought there were instructions included in the box? I swear i thought i seen somehting that you can download the app.

but again, that may be a win 10 feature.

SwolBro

Banned
A lot of people feel like that. In my opinion, it's a huge design flaw and really ruins the reason the paddles are even there. They're FAR too sensitive and there is no real fix for them. People try to switch them around, there is rumors that companies are working on game specific sticks and paddles that would work better, but I don't know. The mechanism for how they're pressed is the same. You want them to be easily pressable but you also want to maintain proper hand control, comfort especially during tense moments.

For all the attention to detail on making it feel and look solid, a lot of actual utility is out the window reusing the same internals from the base controllers (I know so many people with wonky LB buttons, stick defects like drift/slow turn already), building such sensitive paddles where people usually rest their fingers. Almost every single Halo pro has gone back to using Scuf controllers for that very reason (doubt they all are sponsored). I regret my purchase, but it is what it is.

Don't get me wrong, it's one of the best controllers ever made, but for the price of an arm and leg, it's much more flash than substance to me (love the trigger locks and feel of the controller though).
I hate this argument about "halo pros" going back to anything..... most of them have been playing bumper jumper for a long time and they're not going to change that way of playing. A lot of pro player "scuf" users use the paddle for minimal things like grenade switching. That "pro" guy Naded was telling people that Scuf was better and he liked it over everything.... meanwhile, he doesn't use the paddles for anything BUT 1 for grenade switching. I find that to be seriously disingenuous.

So, yeah "pros" are the last ones you want to listen to when making a purchase decision because they like what THEY like and they're not going to change it over anything they have sunk thousands of hours getting used to.

I personally like the pads being sensitive, and i love the placements compared to the absurd placements of the Scuf paddles. The sensitive paddles work well if you are mapping jump to one of them. I use the left-back-upper paddle for jump in Titanfall, and it's amazing. If it weren't sensitive like the bumpers (i used to do bumper jumper) you'd be hindering yourself in that game since jump is so important. Also, if the paddles weren't sensitive you'd be pressing down hard, which to me would throw off my aim. I had this problem when i tried playing with a battle beaver custom controller with a push button on the back. My game suffered when it should have gotten better .

Most people won't map all the paddles on the back, maybe players new to consoles will, or that don't play a lot, but most of us have our muscle memories already hardwired to use face buttons. I only use 2 paddles on the back, at max. Sometimes i only use one so i still have great hand placement and control. In the end you can't make a controller that works for everyone, everyone's hands are different.

Drain You

Been contemplating on getting one of these... how is the d-pad for side scrollers and fighting games?

Cant speak for fighting games but I love the saucer pad for side scrollers. I actually love the saucer pad for everything. I even found myself using it for movement which is very odd for me when I play the witness.

After having this pad from launch I absolutely love it. I don't use it all the time (if friends are over and drinking they can just use a regular pad etc) but when I do use it I immediately remember how nice it is. The added weight is so nice. This controller is a beast. Esp with the chatpad on.

Edit: I really need to pick up a wireless USB stick. I hate using this thing wired.

Tarnpanzer

Most people won't map all the paddles on the back, maybe players new to consoles will, or that don't play a lot, but most of us have our muscle memories already hardwired to use face buttons. I only use 2 paddles on the back, at max. Sometimes i only use one so i still have great hand placement and control. In the end you can't make a controller that works for everyone, everyone's hands are different.

I try using all 4 paddles for ABXY, getting better every day. I turned the standard ABXY off, so I have to use the paddles. After some time, it will feel 100% natural, you just need to "work throught it". I use this controller for all my consoles, so I don't have to adapt back every time I play on an other console.

SwolBro

Banned
I try using all 4 paddles for ABXY, getting better every day. I turned the standard ABXY off, so I have to use the paddles. After some time, it will feel 100% natural, you just need to "work throught it". I use this controller for all my consoles, so I don't have to adapt back every time I play on an other console.

It's tempting to try this but the fact of how i place my fingers when i play shooters (which is 95% of what i play) i can't use all 4.

I've attempted 3, that's still impossible. I think sticking to 2 is fine for most shooters. Halo 5 seems like it was built to use all 4 paddles but most games won't require that.

Yeah,

i just like to have my A and B on the small paddles for now. Tried to move X to a lower big paddle, but it just cramped my hand making sure i dont clench and accidently press it.

SwolBro

Banned
Yeah,

i just like to have my A and B on the small paddles for now. Tried to move X to a lower big paddle, but it just cramped my hand making sure i dont clench and accidently press it.

What's shitty for me is that my right middle finger likes to sit close to the trigger. Any time i have it lower to press an upper paddle, it doesn't work. I lose all aiming. It's weird but that's just what i've been doing since the 360 controller and i don't see a way of changing it.

What's shitty for me is that my right middle finger likes to sit close to the trigger. Any time i have it lower to press an upper paddle, it doesn't work. I lose all aiming. It's weird but that's just what i've been doing since the 360 controller and i don't see a way of changing it.

Yeah, it took me a while to adjust the paddles to work with how i hold the controller too.

I like how you can adjust the paddles and kind of flip them around by putting them on the opposite side. I first tried the longer paddles in the opposite side going upward. That was an interesting time. haha

SwolBro

Banned
Yeah, it took me a while to adjust the paddles to work with how i hold the controller too.

I like how you can adjust the paddles and kind of flip them around by putting them on the opposite side. I first tried the longer paddles in the opposite side going upward. That was an interesting time. haha

I really want to use the rounded convex thumbsticks but only on the left stick. The ones they provide are too big though. I'm waiting for Scuf to release there's which i'm sure will come in all sizes.

It's taking too long. i wish we had an idea when they'd be releasing their options.

I really want to use the rounded convex thumbsticks but only on the left stick. The ones they provide are too big though. I'm waiting for Scuf to release there's which i'm sure will come in all sizes.

It's taking too long. i wish we had an idea when they'd be releasing their options.

Im using the domed one on my left stick right now. I cant go back to the default one.

epmode

I finally got a replacement controller from Amazon because the right analog stick on my old controller would make a clicking noise when moved beyond a certain point.

Well, the replacement has an issue where BOTH sticks make a slight click when moved out of neutral. It's not nearly as loud but I know it can be better.

I feel like I'm being unreasonable here but $150 is a lot for a goddamned controller.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I just hacked my Elite so I can use it with the hella sweet Energizer charging station.

9z9Nz7F.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EADTVLW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

And also just saw the Halo specific replacement accessories.

Got my controller today. So far I'm really impressed with the quality, weight and feel compared to the standard Xbox One controller.

Will be putting it to the test later tonight/tomorrow with Dragon's Dogma and Rise of the Tomb Raider on PC.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
What are they? Is it more than just a d-pad with icons on it?

Designed to deal with specific asks from community. Not rocket science - but bigger convex rubbery sticks, a metal elevated d-pad replacement (like a cross between the octagon bowl and a regular dpad) and slightly smaller paddles.

Just sounded like a shameless plug V:

What is this "shame" you speak of?

Vitacat

Designed to deal with specific asks from community. Not rocket science - but bigger convex rubbery sticks, a metal elevated d-pad replacement (like a cross between the octagon bowl and a regular dpad) and slightly smaller paddles.

Huh, I had no idea about those. I'm interested. Wonder if my local Bestbuy or GameStop has them? Will check later.

DirtyLarry

I only have two installed myself, and I barely use them, and more often than not, it is a mistake when I do.

Just feels like a crab claw using them. I know plenty of people use them and love them, just not my thing.

Otherwise it is a great controller, as it should be for the cost.

Justinh

I just went straight to four paddles, since I didn't want to go back into the learning zone when I eventually moved up from 2 to 4. Took a few days but I think it helps to get used to them in multiple games at once. For example, I always have upper left as sprint (in games that have sprint) and lower right as jump.
It helped solidify my thinking to press those rather than reaching for A or clicking in the damn left stick (this is difficult for me to do).

I'm still hopeful that the game branded d-pad discs become a thing.

Top Bottom