• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

I've noticed my right thumb stick kind of lifts up when you pull the stick up... For example if I try to take the stick off the whole cup thing comes up to the plastic shell before the magnet releases.
The other stick doesn't do this.

Doesn't really make a difference during game play but it's annoying.

I had that problem and it got worse to where the stick just rattled up and down. Getting my replacement controller from Microsoft next week. Take care of it if you are in the 90 day window!

The Argus

Are the trigger servos for the rumble really loud, or have I just never noticed? I just turned them off so all is well, but since the normal vibration is quiet I'm worried something happened. The right trigger rumble seems to be the loudest and whiny.

SwolBro

Banned
Looks like the Halo accessory set is coming on April 11, for $50, exclusive to Gamestop.
http://www.gamestop.com/xbox-one/ac...7&sourceID=te1Fq2FCseg-zlf8nXHMACJl0mJRE2sUvg

The description says 10 pieces, but then lists 12 parts (2+2+2 analog sticks, 4 paddles, 2 dpads). Not sure which is correct.

is that domed stick default height? that's what i really want. can someone confirm? it says "1 mid-tall domed stick" but in the picture it looks standard =(

Where's the Scuf accessories? what the hell. Why are these taking forever?

I returned my Elite to Walmart today, 5 days from the 90 day mark. It had slight stick drift on the right stick. It was only noticeable in GTA V, but for $150 I don't want it going bad, especially this soon.

So now that these things are a little more available, where's the best place to buy one, based on exchange policy? I was hoping to buy somewhere that I could get an extended warranty and just walk in and exchange, but Gamestop and Walmart are my only options for that around here. Gamestop will let me exchange for 30 days and not cover it after that, and Walmart will only let me exchange it in store for 90 days. Even if I buy a 2 year care plan, that's operated by a different company and I'd have to mail it in. I need something that will cover it for 2+ years, and preferably ship fast and not make me pay shipping. im' willing to pay a little extra for the coverage.

BTW I'm missing the Elite already. My lunar white controller just feels lighter and cheaper, and I miss the paddles and long right stick.

I returned my Elite to Walmart today, 5 days from the 90 day mark. It had slight stick drift on the right stick. It was only noticeable in GTA V, but for $150 I don't want it going bad, especially this soon.

So now that these things are a little more available, where's the best place to buy one, based on exchange policy? I was hoping to buy somewhere that I could get an extended warranty and just walk in and exchange, but Gamestop and Walmart are my only options for that around here. Gamestop will let me exchange for 30 days and not cover it after that, and Walmart will only let me exchange it in store for 90 days. Even if I buy a 2 year care plan, that's operated by a different company and I'd have to mail it in. I need something that will cover it for 2+ years, and preferably ship fast and not make me pay shipping. im' willing to pay a little extra for the coverage.

BTW I'm missing the Elite already. My lunar white controller just feels lighter and cheaper, and I miss the paddles and long right stick.

You can get a three-year SquareTrade warranty for $20.99, which is what I did (call them and sign up over the phone, otherwise it's $29.99) or a two-year Best Buy warranty for $19.99.

You can get a three-year SquareTrade warranty for $20.99, which is what I did (call them and sign up over the phone, otherwise it's $29.99) or a two-year Best Buy warranty for $19.99.

Best Buy's $19.99 2 year plan looks pretty damn good. I wish there was one close to me so I could just walk in and exchange, but it looks like they pay shipping both ways on mail-in repairs/exchanges.

Best Buy's $19.99 2 year plan looks pretty damn good. I wish there was one close to me so I could just walk in and exchange, but it looks like they pay shipping both ways on mail-in repairs/exchanges.

The SquareTrade warranty is obviously better because it provides an extra year for basically the same price, but both are the same in that shipping is always free both ways and after two claims, the third ends the company's obligations to you after they pay you the full value of the item. You have to buy the Best Buy warranty within 14 days of purchase and the SquareTrade warranty within 30 days of purchase.

The SquareTrade warranty is obviously better because it provides an extra year for basically the same price, but both are the same in that shipping is always free both ways and after two claims, the third ends the company's obligations to you after they pay you the full value of the item. You have to buy the Best Buy warranty within 14 days of purchase and the SquareTrade warranty within 30 days of purchase.

Are there any restrictions on where I buy the controler if I'm going to use SquareTrade? Or anything I should know before I do?

SerTapTap

Anyone else had to uninstall update KB3140743 since getting using this thing? I'm guessing it might just be the Xbox One controller driver or the xbox accessories app, but it's the only change I've made since I got a new awful problem: extreme, inoperable lag with beeping every time the mouse (slooowly) moves.

Found some posts saying it's Xbox driver related and saying to remove that update, wondering if that's a known issue or WTF.

For the record, Microsoft said they would fix this and never did. The jerks.

I was wondering about this too. The toggle switch would be perfect for a "PC" setting

Looking at dropping some cash on this.

Can anyone confirm if you can map a paddle to say 'A' but still have the 'A' button as 'A' as well.

Thinking of gears where I could use the paddle to roadie but use the 'A' button for cover, roll etc.

Also anyone have any trouble with the left stick? Eg clicking when rotating? I heard the switches for the thumbsticks are the same as the og controller.

Looking at dropping some cash on this.

Can anyone confirm if you can map a paddle to say 'A' but still have the 'A' button as 'A' as well.

Thinking of gears where I could use the paddle to roadie but use the 'A' button for cover, roll etc.

Also anyone have any trouble with the left stick? Eg clicking when rotating? I heard the switches for the thumbsticks are the same as the og controller.

Yup the paddles act as extensions of whatever button you assign there. So both would work with the same function.

JonnyKong

I have had issues clicking the left analogue stick in yes, but I've always got around this by assigning the left stick click to one of the paddles. Being able to hold down a paddle to sprint for example in an open world game or fps is a godsend.

I have had issues clicking the left analogue stick in yes, but I've always got around this by assigning the left stick click to one of the paddles. Being able to hold down a paddle to sprint for example in an open world game or fps is a godsend.

Yeah. That sounds like a plan. Was thinking about assigning two paddles to left and right thumbstick clicks.

Will use an old controller for FIFA though as that what wrecks my left thumbsticks!!

Pepiope

Has anyone else been having trouble with PC wireless adapter? Sometimes it just locks up my controller and I can't do anything about it but reset the PC.

eek5

Yeah. That sounds like a plan. Was thinking about assigning two paddles to left and right thumbstick clicks.

Will use an old controller for FIFA though as that what wrecks my left thumbsticks!!

I find that using all 4 paddles is crazy difficult so if you wanted to do L3 R3 and A you might have a big of an adjustment period. I ended up getting a second set of paddles so I can run 4 short paddles and that helped out a lot but the short+long paddles feel real awkward. YMMV though

gar3

Just bought an Elite from Microsoft's on-line store. Will be using it for both Xbox One and various PC games. Been debating a long time between a second regular Xbox One controller or the Elite. Can't wait.

I find that using all 4 paddles is crazy difficult so if you wanted to do L3 R3 and A you might have a big of an adjustment period. I ended up getting a second set of paddles so I can run 4 short paddles and that helped out a lot but the short+long paddles feel real awkward. YMMV though

Yeah. Thought about this and think I would only use two paddles. With gears i'd probably leave r3 as is as I rarely use zoomable weapons and map 'A' to one of the paddles instead.

Out of interest, what do people prefer? Run on the left paddle or the right?

Yeah. Thought about this and think I would only use two paddles. With gears i'd probably leave r3 as is as I rarely use zoomable weapons and map 'A' to one of the paddles instead.

Out of interest, what do people prefer? Run on the left paddle or the right?
For Gears specifically, I have the left upper paddle assigned to take cover and the right paddle to roadie run.

I use the alternative control scheme to separate cover and run to two different buttons then assign them to the paddles.

It takes some adjusting after 10 years if playing regularly but it's much more intuitive and im seeing massive improvements to my wall bouncing and overall multiplayer performance.

For Gears specifically, I have the left upper paddle assigned to take cover and the right paddle to roadie run.

I use the alternative control scheme to separate cover and run to two different buttons then assign them to the paddles.

It takes some adjusting after 10 years if playing regularly but it's much more intuitive and im seeing massive improvements to my wall bouncing and overall multiplayer performance.

Gears has been a struggle for me. Assigning cover and roadie run to paddles seems like a no-brainer, but what's messing me up is the stick controls. When you're in roadie run, you can't turn with the right stick. My thumb is still there, because I don't need to press A anymore, but there's no option to keep the stick from changing based on your current actions.

Also, I got my new Elite today. I'm so glad to have it again, going back to my lunar white controller didn't feel right. Also it's nice that the edited profiles I had were still in my Xbox's accessories app, so all I had to do is move the 2 I wanted onto the controller.

Berzerkiymc

Neo Member
Has anyone tried this for Killer Instinct on PC?

Pondering getting it, if I could customize my controls, like use the paddles for RB or LB.

how worthwhile would anyone who owns this controller say it will be for KI, SFV etc on PC?

SerTapTap

Has anyone else been having trouble with PC wireless adapter? Sometimes it just locks up my controller and I can't do anything about it but reset the PC.

Does the whole PC lag and your mouse moves really slow with a beep sound made every second or so? If so, uninstall update KB3140743. If you just need to turn off the controller, just hold the Xbox button on the controller for a few seconds, it should turn off.

Has anyone tried this for Killer Instinct on PC?

Pondering getting it, if I could customize my controls, like use the paddles for RB or LB.

how worthwhile would anyone who owns this controller say it will be for KI, SFV etc on PC?

I'm no fighting game player so I can't comment too much, but the weird disk d pad really does work nicely for fighting game inputs. I played a few rounds of Skullgirls but didn't give it further testing because I really barely play fighting games anyway.

For some reason the Xbox Accessories app isn't detecting my controller. I don't necessarily remap that often or at all but it's strange that after updating the controller earlier this morning (hadn't connected it in a while) it just continues to show "Connect a controller to get started". Has this happened to anyone else before? This is via USB and wirelessly by the way.

Fujinn

I think they're the same joysticks as a regular controller, so your odds aren't any better with this controller.

Wow, that sucks, i don't know what to do then...

I really want a good controller, but both xbone controller and ds4 seem to have build quality problems.. :/

OK. So basically map both paddles to 'a'.

Sounds like a good idea.

I really want a good controller, but both xbone controller and ds4 seem to have build quality problems.. :/

Yeah. Really disappointed they went with the cheap thumbstick modules as those grey clips on the left hand side of the module always fail causing the clicking when rotating the stick.

Just stock up on cheap epoxy and you should be good although it will invalidate your warranty.

In my experience anyway.

Are there any restrictions on where I buy the controler if I'm going to use SquareTrade? Or anything I should know before I do?

Nope, none. If it's not from one of the retailers in the list, you can put Other. You can even get insurance from an eBay/used purchase, but I would recommend a used controller. You can call them to confirm any questions (and should call to get the cheap price I got). You need to upload a receipt but that's it. I took a picture with my phone and it was approved in about an hour.

SwolBro

Banned
Does the stick drift issue happens a lot? I'm thinking of picking this one up.

Stick drift does happen. It's virtually impossible for any controller using these parts (ps4/x1) to not have stick drift at some point, especially if you're very forceful with your movements (like me)

the best thing to do is to put warranty on this controller. i did mine through best buy when i bought it. it's $20 and covers you for two years.

Special C

Well I caved and bought a new elite. Still miffed that in 6 months mine became unusable due to stick drift. I've only had one other xbox controller do this to me in 10 years, so of course my 150 dollar controller did it. :(

Is there any way I can use it for my PS4 also? I only found information about a product called Cronusmax Plus, but have no idea where to buy one. I live in Europe.

Also, do any of you use it for the PS4 with that adapter?

Duxxy3

Well I caved and bought a new elite. Still miffed that in 6 months mine became unusable due to stick drift. I've only had one other xbox controller do this to me in 10 years, so of course my 150 dollar controller did it. :(

Stick drift is just a fact of life with the analog module they use. All sticks will start to drift over a long enough time line.

Top Bottom