• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Fitness Pass (paid subscription service)

Did everyone on GAF lose the capability to read or comprehend the english language?

*Some Xbox Fitness content may not be available with Xbox Live Gold, and may vary over time.

After November 2014 there are certain features that require another sub but some will also continue to work without this sub. We don't know what these features are or to the extent of how they will affect the game. I swear this website is terrible with comments like "typical Microsoft garbage" you guys do realize what a joke you're making this website look like to the rest of the internet right?

Who cares if they do charge for some extra features? For all we know it's a bunch of new content that will be added on November 2014 that will cost another sub, these fitness programs are not cheap.
Time to quote it for a new page. But seriously everyone. It says right in the OP

*Some Xbox Fitness content may not be available with Xbox Live Gold, and may vary over time.

Hence you will get access to basic stuff through gold. You would only need a separate subscription for the more advanced things. They will probably have a basic Xbox produced Fitness program that will come free with gold and then lock away P90X, Insanity and all those other ones to a separate subscription because those would cost Microsoft money to both licence and buy the exclusive interactive content.

By locking away things like P90X, Insanity or the other fitness programs, it allows Microsoft to not have to increase the cost of gold for people who only want to Game/Chat Online.

skdoo

Banned
Most Gamers would puke after one session of P90X... that stuff is simply brutal. I've had both of those programs for awhile now, and they are not for the weak willed.

Watching CoD champion gasping for air after half an hour of P90X would be pretty funny. Still best motivation out there is to go to a real gym with "gasp" GIRLS!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Microsoft also loves Mountain Dew and Doritos, and made a Pizza Hut app so you can order pizza from your couch. Shit isn't comparable.

Uh, Pizza Hut = macronutrients. The calories in Mountain Dew and Doritos are energy to fuel the workout.

Learn about fitness please. Unless you're going paleo or keto.

Nibiru

Banned
The same type of people who pay $70 a month for a gym membership?

Umm no.

I don't get the comparisons people are making to gym memberships. This xbox thing is just a glorified work out dvd. In a gym you get tons of really great equipment to use.

spwolf

Is P90X also monthly charge? If so then this makes sense - if there are such services that already have monthly charge from your house, then it makes sense. I would dig it.

Obviously it will always be less expensive then going to actual gym - which is expensive to equip, maintain and staff, vs what is essentially a computer program.

tkalamba

Is P90X also monthly charge? If so then this makes sense - if there are such services that already have monthly charge from your house, then it makes sense. I would dig it.

Obviously it will always be less expensive then going to actual gym - which is expensive to equip, maintain and staff, vs what is essentially a computer program.

I believe you can get it for about $120 full price, but its not the only thing being offered with Xbox Fitness.

tkalamba

Umm no.

I don't get the comparisons people are making to gym memberships. This xbox thing is just a glorified work out dvd. In a gym you get tons of really great equipment to use.

Some people will inevitably compare it to the cost of a gym membership. My girlfriend for example already find the idea of Xbox Fitness much more convenient than going to the gym. Many people prefer at home work out routines, its an alternative to going to the gym.

tkalamba

Going to the gym and workout videos are two completely different things.

I'm aware, but there will be people who may prefer one over the other. Not everyone weight trains for example, and focus on aerobics or whatever. It's an alternative, or can be a supplement to ones gym routine. Some people simply prefer to work out at home.

Nibiru

Banned
Some people will inevitably compare it to the cost of a gym membership. My girlfriend for example already find the idea of Xbox Fitness much more convenient than going to the gym. Many people prefer at home work out routines, its an alternative to going to the gym.

Then get an exercise dvd. Working out is about motivation and braving discomfort. Most people will latch on to anything they think will make it easier or more convenient but at the end of the day if a person would rather watch tv than sweat no Xbox service, Wii Fit or any other delivery method will make a difference.

I am a fit guy. I don't have a gym membership but I do have a treadmill and I use certain dvds and interchange them. There is also a HUGE diet component because if you don't eat well you simply have no energy to exercise. It's tough stuff. I know people will get the Xbox thing thinking that it will make them want to "get fit" but the reality is for most it will be used maybe 2 times then never touched again.

Tsundere

Banned
you pulling this shtick in both threads now?
Pulling what?
I'm aware, but there will be people who may prefer one over the other. Not everyone weight trains for example, and focus on aerobics or whatever. It's an alternative, or can be a supplement to ones gym routine. Some people simply prefer to work out at home.

You directly compared people who pay for a gym membership to people who would use this subscription service.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Pulling what?

You directly compared people who pay for a gym membership to people who would use this subscription service.

You mean, people who want to get in shape? I mean, there is a comparison. Cardio at the gym, carido at home. Light weight training at the gym, same at home.

tkalamba

Then get an exercise dvd. Working out is about motivation and braving discomfort. Most people will latch on to anything they think will make it easier or more convenient but at the end of the day if a person would rather watch tv than sweat no Xbox service, Wii Fit or any other delivery method will make a difference.

I am a fit guy. I don't have a gym membership but I do have a treadmill and I use certain dvds and interchange them. There is also a HUGE diet component because if you don't eat well you simply have no energy to exercise. It's tough stuff. I know people will get the Xbox thing thinking that it will make them want to "get fit" but the reality is for most it will be used maybe 2 times then never touched again.

I don't think people are expecting to just sit there thinking this will magically make them become fit. Some people are likely just hoping for some motivation. If the thing throws achievements and leader boards at them for their workout routines, it can do a lot for an individuals motivation. Many people are competitive by nature.

Obviously, not everyone will religiously use this, but ultimately it's up to them to put in the effort. MS is simply offering people with a convenient package.

ShadyJ

I don't think people are expecting to just sit there thinking this will magically make them become fit. Some people are likely just hoping for some motivation. If the thing throws achievements and leader boards at them for their workout routines, it can do a lot for an individuals motivation. Many people are competitive by nature.

Obviously, not everyone will religiously use this, but ultimately it's up to them to put in the effort. MS is simply offering people with a convenient package.

If your motivation for becoming fit/healthy is around achievements you will be sorely disappointed.

Becoming fit relies solely on your own desire to do so.. nothing more.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Why would you not just DO P90x?

Why do it on a kinect? WiiFit all over again.

This is LEAGUES better than Wii fit. Also, it's not free anywhere except Xbox for now. The added challenges and the kinect body tracking will help a lot too. Especially in workouts like yoga where pose is key.

PG2G

Why not do it with Kinect? It can monitor your heart rate, can track your progress, can let you know if your form is bad, can allow them to tailor the work out to your current levels...

The problem with Wii Fit is it was more game than workout.

Darryl

Banned
This is LEAGUES better than Wii fit. Also, it's not free anywhere except Xbox for now. The added challenges and the kinect body tracking will help a lot too. Especially in workouts like yoga where pose is key.

it's kinda a different thing. wii fit was more like a fitness video game. these look more like fitness videos with achievements. i don't think either is better. wii fit is more for people with established fitness routines who want something extra to play with and also those who are trying to push children to workout and this is better for individuals looking for a gym substitute. obviously both incredibly huge markets as fitness is very expansive

Nibiru

Banned

The opportunity a video game console has is to deliver a form of exercise that can hopefully be so absorbing or fun that you forget you are sweating, exhausted and in pain.

There are only 2 things in recent memory that actually accomplished this. Dance Dance Revolution and Wii Sports(more specifically the boxing.) It is a shame the Boxing was not refined because that would have been a free ticket to fitness for many.

I highly recommend to anyone that wants to lose weight through a video game dancing games are great at that but DDR is very fast and the key to losing weight is to get your heart rate up.

ShadyJ

To be honest nothing comes close to a fully fitted gym and a calculated diet.

But if this helps people then all power to them.

T.O.P

Banned

I'm already doing both :p

But it would be nice to have more routines and other programs directly on the X1 without having to import this stuff for three times the price u guys pay in NA

Also, my parents finds both kinda hard to get through so this would make them pretty happy if'll be able to find something at their level

Megatron

With the combination of being free for a year (with Gold) and the heart rate monitor, can the system call 911 for the COD gamer who tries this out of curiosity?

ironcreed

Banned
I never would have guessed that the killer appointment for the new Xbox that has people going nuts would not even be a game. But hey, to each their own.

ShadyJ

I'm already doing both :p

But it would be nice to have more routines and other programs directly on the X1 without having to import this stuff for three times the price u guys pay in NA

Also, my parents finds both kinda hard to get through so this would make them pretty happy if'll be able to find something at their level

I also tried WiiFit ages ago, the running mini game was kind cool.

Top Bottom