• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox gamers, have you moved over to PC?

Xbox gamers, have you moved over to PC?

• Total voters

Elysium44

Banned
You have a PC but yet you're in this thread making things up and batting hard for Xbox.

Makes sense.

You can literally time your builds at the mid-end of each console generation and not have to upgrade again until the middle of the next console gen, and even still it will likely just be a GPU upgrade. This idea that it "costs more" is a fallacy in the long run, especially if you factor in game prices.

It's like you're not understanding how low the bar actually is on console.

Consoles struggle from day 1.

'Just a GPU upgrade' which will cost the same as the whole Xbox console or more. The PC will use a lot more electricity as well compared to the power sipping consoles, especially the Series S which barely uses 100w to run games.

I'm just trying to be fair. If PC can only 'win' by using sleight of hand (pretending everyone already has a controller, or buying a grey market key for Windows) then it isn't comparing like with like.

Senua

CPUs stagnated during that time, Intel barely moved the needle from 4th gen to 10th gen in terms of IPC. The PS4 CPU is as weak as piss. Although in spite of that, the PS4 even today in 2024 manages to run games WAY better than a PC with any sort of equivalent specs can do (GTX 750 equivalent). You need a much more beefy PC to keep up with it.
True, but the XSX/PS5 CPU isn't exactly great either. The 60fps glory was only because of the abnormally extended cross-gen period. 750 is beat but I'm not sure you need to go much further to match PS4 multiplatform games, many games ran like shite towards the end as happens in all console generations.

MilkyJoe

Why would you build a PC with "equivalent parts" to a Series X in 2024? You can use modern parts that run rings around it for the same money as the build you posted.

The build you posted is 800 quid, here's an equivalently priced modern build and it's over 3x more powerful than the Series X:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dJqNgB

----

And if you insist on doing a build that has similar power/capability to the Series X then this is the result:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3zx7gB

Which is just over £500. And even still that has a much better CPU, a more performant GPU and will overall perform better than the Series X.

You seem to mistaken my 1 minute of research post, to highlight the price difference, for giving actually caring. And gave me two examples that highlight my point.

PS your bottom one needs to add another 100 for memory and a case

PPS If a girl walks into my apartment and sees this by the TV

01f7faeb583006fe1f3b506dfb7c59c8.1600.jpg

There is no way she's going to fuck me

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
No and I don't have any plans to switch during this generation either. Will see what the next-gen prices are and what the equivalent or close PC prices are before committing then.

Senua

You seem to mistaken my 1 minute of research post, to highlight the price difference, for giving actually caring. And gave me two examples that highlight my point.

She'd probably be inadvertently turned off by your insecurity anywho.

Shtef

I have both and i prefer paying on xbox. In case if game is running really bad (like 30fps or lower) then I opt for playing on PC.

VAVA Mk2

I still have a Series X and One X (and a Switch), but I mostly play on PC now. I intend to get a PS5 at some point to complete my "Infinity Gauntlet."

Lillie

yes, but i still have a series x (i suppose for console game pass games) - but the biggest issue is the feeling of not wanting to abandon the digital library that a lot of money went into (and they're mostly not play-anywhere games).

Rockondevil

I much prefer console gaming due to the I guess plug and play nature for a term that essentially encompasses its ease.

If Xbox eventually goes the way of the dodo then I’d likely go PC. But until then I’ll stay on my console.

GHG

CPUs stagnated during that time, Intel barely moved the needle from 4th gen to 10th gen in terms of IPC. The PS4 CPU is as weak as piss. Although in spite of that, the PS4 even today in 2024 manages to run games WAY better than a PC with any sort of equivalent specs can do (GTX 750 equivalent). You need a much more beefy PC to keep up with it.

If you're going to compare low end GPU's from that era then the 750ti makes more sense. It was just $30 more expensive than the 750.

'Just a GPU upgrade' which will cost the same as the whole Xbox console or more. The PC will use a lot more electricity as well compared to the power sipping consoles, especially the Series S which barely uses 100w to run games.

Ah the age old desperate "electricity" argument. If someone is that conscious about it then they can undervolt to console equivalent power envelopes and still outperform the consoles.

But for one second, let's assume this is a serious argument you're putting forward here. The PS5's consumption while gaming is ~200w, similar for the series X. Here's the 4060ti which outperforms both:

power-maximum.png

And then we can take things a step further and limit the FPS to 60:

power-vsync.png

That gives plenty of remaining power budget to get to 200w with the CPU and any other components while still outperforming.

PC gives the end user the options to reduce their power consumption if they wish to. This was proven in spades with the 4090:

gA41aJWRC0HYTkNV.jpg

230 watts consumption while still performing at 92% of what the card is fully capable of. Allow ~70 watts of CPU and other component budget and you've got a PC that will perform well over 100% better than consoles for just 50% more power.

I'm just trying to be fair. If PC can only 'win' by using sleight of hand (pretending everyone already has a controller, or buying a grey market key for Windows) then it isn't comparing like with like.

It's not sleight of hand though. The link I provided for the windows key is not grey market (grey market is even cheaper). These are fully legal options available to everyone, it's just up to them if they want to use them or not.

Please do a survey here to see if there's anyone that doesn't ready have a controller. We are on an enthusiast board, what do you think the outcome will be?

Last edited:

GHG

Here you go:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jHPPL9

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 UD AC ATX AM4 Motherboard ($86.26 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($35.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: XFX Speedster SWFT 210 Core Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Antec NX100 ATX Mid Tower Case ($41.40 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($112.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $734.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-27 06:57 EST-0500

Hope the case is more to her liking, although I'm not sure the Series X will be helping matters either.

Elysium44

Banned
Imagine pissing about with all that when you can just get a console which a) just works b) uses less power c) costs dramatically less to buy and doesn't need upgrading through the whole gen.

Are PCs faster, yes, are they better value or less hassle, not remotely close.

You speak of this being an 'enthusiast forum' which apparently doesn't care about piffling things like the cost of electricity or PC components, and yet the most popular threads are the ones crying that the price of an Xbox hasn't been slashed yet, even though it's still cheaper in real terms than in 2020, and to build a PC of equivalent performance would cost way more.

I sometimes post in threads like this one simply because the snobby sneering PC elitism is tedious and funny.

Last edited:

Senua

Imagine pissing about with all that when you can just get a console which a) just works b) uses less power c) costs dramatically less to buy and doesn't need upgrading through the whole gen.

You speak of this being an 'enthusiast forum' which apparently doesn't care about piffling things like the cost of electricity or PC components, and yet the most popular threads are the ones crying that the price of an Xbox hasn't been slashed yet, even though it's still cheaper in real terms than in 2020, and to build a PC of equivalent performance would cost way more.

I sometimes post in threads like this one simply because the snobby sneering PC elitism is tedious and funny.
What if I like to piss about? Pee Cee, it's in the name. I love to tinker!

King Dazzar

The PC version of Forza Horizon seems to be based on the Xbox One version, not the SX optimised version - only the latter lets you skip the splash screens on Xbox, which you can't do on PC.

Multiple games I have both versions of, load faster on Xbox Series than PC, even though the PC is using a drive which on paper is faster than the Xbox's, and also has a faster CPU.

Forza Motorsport (2023) runs far worse on my PC than my Series S as well. Mediocre PC ports aren't the exception, they're the rule.
I tried FH5 on a 7900XT and it was noticeably better than the already good looking XSX version.

lol I'd imagine thats only because, being the discerning lady she no doubt would be, she'd rather play with the PC than with your cock.

Last edited:
Build a 4080 / Ryzen 7800X3D Gaming PC. I moved on from XBox (and PS5)
I use the PC with my C1 Oled in the living room. Nothing has changed for me. I play games like i used to on console. Only with better visuals and performance.
Most games habe great controller support and all of the games i played so far where hassle free. Buy, start and play the game. No problems.

King Dazzar

What if I like to piss about? Pee Cee, it's in the name. I love to tinker!
And for me thats key to PC'ing. I loved my time gaming with PC's and still build them, just not for gaming anymore. Both platforms are great in different ways. Its a shame people cant accept that.

GHG

To some of us this is part of the hobby, it's not pissing about if you get enjoyment from tweaking and getting the best out of your components for your intended use case.

I've just shown you that "uses less power" is no longer true for equivalent performance. The only time that tends to be valid is at the very start of a generation (in the first ~12 months before new PC components which are more efficient hit the market).

Depends on how you define value and what time frame you're looking at.

To many people there is no "value" in buying a closed box that has fixed performance which you can't upgrade (or even change game settings to your liking) and has limited options when it comes to purchasing digital games.

The price of Xbox consoles have been slashed though. They've been available for under RRP for some time now, it's just not an official permanent price reduction from Microsoft themselves.

Globally, PC gaming is more popular than console gaming. That's a fact. How can all these people be so wrong? What a shame we aren't all buying xboxes instead huh?

Over It Reaction GIF

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
The price of Xbox consoles have been slashed though. They've been available for under RRP for some time now, it's just not an official permanent price reduction from Microsoft themselves.
Don't tell me, tell the people who keep saying it's too expensive.

Globally, PC gaming is more popular than console gaming. That's a fact. How can all these people be so wrong? What a shame we aren't all buying xboxes instead huh?

Some buy Xboxes, some buy PlayStations, some buy Switches. The average PC is probably barely capable of matching a Series S if you look at the Steam hardware survey. The PC elitists who think everyone is running at 4K with a 4090 and pulling 500w out of the wall to run a game with a slightly better effect than a $300 Xbox which you don't even notice unless you go pixel peeping are a tiny minority.

btw I do do some tinkering on PC - you have to because most games need it. I used a guide to get TLOU pt1 running better than it does using the in-game options. Whereas if I'd just played it on PS5 it would have worked perfectly without any messing about.

Last edited:

Porticus

Dude if a girl doesn't fuck you because of that thing near the tv don't worry, she wouldn't fuck you regardless :messenger_winking:

If you're going to compare low end GPU's from that era then the 750ti makes more sense. It was just $30 more expensive than the 750.

Ah the age old desperate "electricity" argument. If someone is that conscious about it then they can undervolt to console equivalent power envelopes and still outperform the consoles.

But for one second, let's assume this is a serious argument you're putting forward here. The PS5's consumption while gaming is ~200w, similar for the series X. Here's the 4060ti which outperforms both:

power-maximum.png

And then we can take things a step further and limit the FPS to 60:

power-vsync.png

That gives plenty of remaining power budget to get to 200w with the CPU and any other components while still outperforming.

PC gives the end user the options to reduce their power consumption if they wish to. This was proven in spades with the 4090:

gA41aJWRC0HYTkNV.jpg

230 watts consumption while still performing at 92% of what the card is fully capable of. Allow ~70 watts of CPU and other component budget and you've got a PC that will perform well over 100% better than consoles for just 50% more power.

It's not sleight of hand though. The link I provided for the windows key is not grey market (grey market is even cheaper). These are fully legal options available to everyone, it's just up to them if they want to use them or not.

Please do a survey here to see if there's anyone that doesn't ready have a controller. We are on an enthusiast board, what do you think the outcome will be?

Yeah... I'll just plug a PS5 in.

Last edited:
Day 1 releases, Gamepass, Xbox account and Achievements intact, no online gaming paywall, mods, better graphics and framerates, still the same controller if you want. Even Playstation games can be found there.

So Xbox gamers, have you made the move?
No.

GHG

Don't tell me, tell the people who keep saying it's too expensive.

Some buy Xboxes, some buy PlayStations, some buy Switches. The average PC is probably barely capable of matching a Series S if you look at the Steam hardware survey. The PC elitists who think everyone is running at 4K with a 4090 and pulling 500w out of the wall to run a game with a slightly better effect than a $300 Xbox which you don't even notice unless you go pixel peeping are a tiny minority.

btw I do do some tinkering on PC - you have to because most games need it. I used a guide to get TLOU pt1 running better than it does using the in-game options. Whereas if I'd just played it on PS5 it would have worked perfectly without any messing about.

Which "PC elitists" are you referring to? Where are they in this thread?

I've provided 2 build options in this thread for under $1000 (one is well under that price). People have plenty of options to build a PC at more reasonable prices. There's even the used market that you can delve into provided the person knows how to test components or has someone they can trust to guide/assist them there.

FWIW, you 100% can see the difference. To some (or most, hence the biggest sellers are low/mid range GPU's) people that difference isn't worth it though.

SHA

After the 360, now not, I'm more interested when I see heavy hitters like in 7th gen, that didn't happen since then, aaaaa nowadays is just a label, we know how it felt back then.

lordrand11

Day 1 releases, Gamepass, Xbox account and Achievements intact, no online gaming paywall, mods, better graphics and framerates, still the same controller if you want. Even Playstation games can be found there.

So Xbox gamers, have you made the move?
Most of us never left? Though I usually play all four, PC is my main there's just something about being able to hit higher than 60-120 fps on all my games and have buttery smooth video running across my screen.

SirTerry-T

Why would you build a PC with "equivalent parts" to a Series X in 2024? You can use modern parts that run rings around it for the same money as the build you posted.

The build you posted is 800 quid, here's an equivalently priced modern build and it's over 3x more powerful than the Series X:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dJqNgB

----

And if you insist on doing a build that has similar power/capability to the Series X then this is the result:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3zx7gB

Which is just over £500. And even still that has a much better CPU, a more performant GPU and will overall perform better than the Series X.
Do those guys do free shipping to the UK with no import or customs duty?

onQ123

In what way?

I think it’s a fair assumption that there is some migration going on, from PS too but Xbox is a tiny platform going by the primary platform poll thread so I focus on that here. I doubt Xbox gamers have just stopped gaming or that they’ve all left the board.
It was a shot at the thread

GHG

Do those guys do free shipping to the UK with no import or customs duty?

It's PC part picker so each part comes from a different vendor.

The best thing to do would be to go to the uk pcpartpicker site and plug in the same (or similar) components to see what the best prices are like in the UK.

Topher

Gold Member

Right........the case is the problem.

Cracking Up Lol GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

You know you can sell your old PC parts when upgrading right?

The electricity argument is really grasping for straws. If you can’t afford that, then maybe this hobby isn’t for you with its $70 games, and online fees.

avin

I've generally always had a decent PC, if you also want flight controllers it's pretty much the only option. But I picked up a pair of Xboxes this time around also, and I've been impressed, at least for these first few years. Still, they don't work well for all game genres, and only having the consoles wouldn't work for me. It's very limiting.

avin

Fredrik

The poll is too binary, plenty of 'Xbox gamers' do at least some of their gaming on PC.

I do both but prefer the Xbox, it's much less hassle. I buy a game, download it, play it. On PC you generally have to mess about with settings, sometimes google for solutions to get things running well. Even then, often the PC version is inferior in ways which can't be fully fixed.
I really can’t relate to any hassle, I just install and set everything to max and start playing. 🤷‍♂️
The only upside for me with consoles has been the couch, but I’m correcting that soon with a PC in the living room.

Topher

Gold Member
That is how half the PCMR mob come across. Sneering at console owners and at people who have PCs which they don't deem worthy. It's tragic. But they don't have much self awareness.

Throwing out silly generalizations is also tragic.

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Last edited:
Nah, the PC version is almost never inferior unless the porting is done by complete incompetent's.
That is not truthful and that's my issue any any PC vs. console debate.

PC users act like PC spec is universal. I would bet all on here , we all have vastly different PC setups and specs. At my work a couple of my work friends got a PC for their teenage kids, both were Rysen 7 PCs with onboard graphics.
Now try and kid yourself that they run current games as well as the consoles

Last edited:

I know this isn’t quite relevant since you are arguing prices and this case is fairly expensive, but man the Fractal Design North is just so nice. I’m just happy there are finally cases available that are actually aesthetically pleasing.

7296983.jpg

Senua

That is not truthful and that's my issue any any PC vs. console debate.

PC users act like PC spec is universal. I would bet all on here , we all have vastly different PC setups and specs. At my work a couple of my work friends got a PC for their teenage kids, both were Rysen 7 PCs with onboard graphics.
Now try and kid yourself that they run current games as well as the consoles
Look at the quote I replied to for the correct context.

DaGwaphics

Still rocking my Xbox and enjoying it. I might go PC next time around, depends on what the next generation of hardware brings with it vs. what is available on the PC side.

MikeM

I don’t know if they have, but last I checked a 4080 costs as much as almost 3 Xbox series X’s.
Aware but a lot of guys moving over will do so with a top of the line setup or close.
No need. I run a 7900xt to a LG C1 and have a great time. Hell, the new 7900GRE is fantastic bang for buck. You don’t need to drop thousands for a good experience. Just don’t get blinded by Nvidia bling.

Top Bottom