• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Italy Instagram leaks FPS Boost for Dark Souls 3

"brand new technique"

sarcastic sarcasm GIF

It runs at that framerate on other platforms already so I'd love to hear the explanation for this one.
Somehow I trust the team at Microsoft more than some random asshole on the internet.

this is good. i remember buying it on PS4 cause stupid me thought it would be at least playable but the framerate was awful. i ended up getting it on PC.

i'm happy for xbox owners getting to play this game at a higher framerate.

Naked Lunch

Just installed and it runs beautifully.
I did a play thru a year or 2 ago.
My save file started right at the beginning of a DLC section I think (Snowy area).
I didnt play either DLC on my initial playthru - looking forward to going thru those now.

For FPS boosted games - do you have to have the game installed on the SSD to use the FPS boost feature?
Im looking to transfer a bunch of BC games to a normal HDD.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
"brand new technique"

sarcastic sarcasm GIF

It runs at that framerate on other platforms already so I'd love to hear the explanation for this one.
Originally locked at 30fps on Xbox with better frame pacing vs Ps4 unlocked framerate if memory serves me correct.

elliot5

Just installed and it runs beautifully.
I did a play thru a year or 2 ago.
My save file started right at the beginning of a DLC section I think (Snowy area).
I didnt play either DLC on my initial playthru - looking forward to going thru those now.

For FPS boosted games - do you have to have the game installed on the SSD to use the FPS boost feature?
Im looking to transfer a bunch of BC games to a normal HDD.
no, you do not need it on the ssd

modiz

"brand new technique"

sarcastic sarcasm GIF

Tell us about the numerous examples of other platforms that can double the frame rate for games without a patch from the original devs.
The arm chair dev attitude is strong here lately.

Bartski

Gold Member
I just booted to test (PC, SSD, max settings) and it's the same
It does pop like crazy, weird thing is that I don't remember anything like that.

Ok case closed, it's the game.

I bet this has something to do with how the eye works, where we are less sensitive no notice such changes in lower framerates... I never played DS3 on PC (I don't recall master race ever complaining about that)
but I did for over 350 hours on PS4 and never bothered me that much either... Interesting.

This area just begs for improvement and I hope with Cerny was saying about future games developed for SSD streaming is true.

GHG

Tell us about the numerous examples of other platforms that can double the frame rate for games without a patch from the original devs.
The arm chair dev attitude is strong here lately.

Yes, let's forget that the PC exists and that this incredible amazing new technique is incredible and amazing when there have been a ton of games over the years that have released with FPS caps that modders have managed to remove in the matter of days. In this case a patch was even required.

Marketing, chomp chomp.

Last edited:
How is auto hdr?
I'm really not a fan of auto HDR to be honest but at least it is possible to disable it for the people who don't like it. I don't like the idea of a third party altering how teh art team on a game made it look, it just feels wrong to me although I know plenty of people who do like it.

Riky

$MSFT
Yes, let's forget that the PC exists and that this incredible amazing new technique is incredible and amazing when there have been a ton of games over the years that have released with FPS caps that modders have managed to remove in the matter of days.

Marketing, chomp chomp.

It's new for consoles, PC games don't have framerate caps so just throwing more powerful hardware at it works fine, that hasn't been the case for console games.

splattered

Yes, let's forget that the PC exists and that this incredible amazing new technique is incredible and amazing when there have been a ton of games over the years that have released with FPS caps that modders have managed to remove in the matter of days. In this case a patch was even required.

Marketing, chomp chomp.

That isn't the same thing. Chomp chomp.

Soodanim

Gold Member

Marketing, chomp chomp.
I think the key point to this petty little squabble is how the framerate is being doubled. Did Microsoft staff make custom patches behind the scenes? If so then MS were just ahead of the game. If it's something else they've done, then it may well be something new.

Having said that, even if they did just do manual patches behind the scenes you have to appreciate the fact that they did that.

Love the upgrade to 60fps but I can't be assed to play a game at 900p on my 4K TV unless it's an absolute classic. The Sony fanboys are right about this one. Why the fuck would you go through the trouble of FPS boosting and not open the resolution?

Riky

$MSFT
I think the key point to this petty little squabble is how the framerate is being doubled. Did Microsoft staff make custom patches behind the scenes? If so then MS were just ahead of the game. If it's something else they've done, then it may well be something new.

Having said that, even if they did just do manual patches behind the scenes you have to appreciate the fact that they did that.

This is the first one out of nearly a hundred games that required a patch so yeah it's new for consoles.
Jason Ronald said that they are working on resolution upgrades and some games may be able to use both.

elliot5

Love the upgrade to 60fps but I can't be assed to play a game at 900p on my 4K TV unless it's an absolute classic. The Sony fanboys are right about this one. Why the fuck would you go through the trouble of FPS boosting and not open the resolution?
because that hasn't been a thing shown off for xbox one BC games in any meaningful way yet. maybe in like technical examples, but not as a feature on the Xbox for release.

Anki

Banned
I was very excited to play dark souls again, but after finishing sekiro i have trouble adjusting, its so slow and clunky 😑

twilo99

The most impressive bit here is that this is "system level" and it doesn't require any input or reliance on the developer.

I have a sneaky suspicion that they will do something similar with their upscaling tech, whatever that may be.. and, not AMDs FSR solution.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
The single most pathetic brag I’ve ever seen in my whole life :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Like bragging about your massive one inch dong to a man with a micro-penis :messenger_tears_of_joy:
People were all too happy to brag about playing 900p/60fps on the 'best eco-system' and praising MS for giving this 'next-gen feature' for free when Sony supposedly charges their fans (?) Then suddenly this is all micro-penis stuff once you are proven wrong? How fast people switch 🤣

If the game is available on PC then I don't see the point of this fps boost. This is a waste of ressources for MS.

The game is so cheap on PC just get that instead.

GHG

Take the L like a man, you know this is about consoles.

You said platform and the PC is a platform.

This has required collaboration from the developers and a patch but yet we are supposed to believe it's something special?

On games where they manage to do it without developer involvement it's 100% admirable but this isn't that.

Banjo64

cumsessed
People were all too happy to brag about playing 900p/60fps on the 'best eco-system' and praising MS for giving this 'next-gen feature' for free when Sony supposedly charges their fans (?) Then suddenly this is all micro-penis stuff once you are proven wrong? How fast people switch 🤣

If the game is available on PC then I don't see the point of this fps boost. This is a waste of ressources for MS.

How have I been proven wrong?

Are people really (hopefully pretending?) that thick that they can’t understand that Dark Souls 3 got a PS4 Pro patch and not an One X patch and that’s the only reason they can play it at 1080p and 60fps on PS5? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

reksveks

Investment into the technology and hacks, I am 90% confident that Microsoft are still working on the upscaling. We know that they had some before cause the DF guys saw it in play for GoW5.

Also Microsoft need to be concerned about both, pc and console users.

Most people don't have a good gaming PC and/or like me, don't want to wrestle it away from the 10 year old who is using the 2060S to push Roblox at max 🤣

because that hasn't been a thing shown off for xbox one BC games in any meaningful way yet. maybe in like technical examples, but not as a feature on the Xbox for release.

Yeah they did it for some titles. Ninja Garden and Phantom Dust are two notable ones that I loved.

elliot5

How is auto hdr?
Should be available on pc soon... Replaying this in 4k 60, hdr on oled... god

Era poster included some screenshot comparisons and left on AutoHDR. So, obv it'll be a converted color space image on your device (most likely?), but you can see some slight differences. Other posters say AutoHDR is actually pretty good in DS3.

Banned
Yeah they did it for some titles. Ninja Garden and Phantom Dust are two notable ones that I loved.

Those are Xbox OG titles, no? Those all get 4K up-res. I'm talkin' last gen Xbox One.

they don't get a 4K up-res they get a 4x Up-res on Xbox One, a 6x up-res on Series S and a 16x up-res on One X/Series X. so not entirely the same. especially when we are talking about low res OG Xbox games like Panzer Dragoon Orta, which when played on One X/Series X is more around 1500p (I don't have the exact res in memory right now)

and the max resolution an og XBox game can reach is 1920p (4K is 2160p) that is 480p x16 (x4 on each axis)

edit: also sidenote, Phantom Dust is not backwards compatible, that is a straight up native port, that is also completely free to download and play (it even counts as a free 2 play game, so you don't even need gold to play online)

Last edited:

reksveks

I wonder what engines effectively have no caps at all now, if we get a series x (2024) would some engines would be able to double again.

Last edited:

Roberts

Era poster included some screenshot comparisons and left on AutoHDR. So, obv it'll be a converted color space image on your device (most likely?), but you can see some slight differences. Other posters say AutoHDR is actually pretty good in DS3.
Yeah, I was surprised how good it looks with AHDR, because games with similar muted color palette usually don’t look all that hot.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Dark Souls 3 just received a patch on the Xbox One Series S | X that gave the game a much needed performance boost that ups the frame rate to 60FPS. Check out 10 minutes of gameplay, played on the Series X showcasing the performance boost in action.

tommib

It means that Sony would charge you.
Sony charges for enhanced versions that use specific PS5 enchancements, like haptic feedback, fast streaming, ray-tracing, additional content, better textures, spatial audio, 4K, etc, etc… They’re not charging for 900p FPS boosts.

Plantoid

Sony charges for enhanced versions that use specific PS5 enchancements, like haptic feedback, fast streaming, ray-tracing, additional content, better textures, spatial audio, 4K, etc, etc… They’re not charging for 900p FPS boosts.

Are you saying "ray-tracing, additional content, better textures, spatial audio and 4K" are SPECIFIC PS5 enhancements?

They can't charge "900p fps boosts" because they don't have the tech, their bc sucks ass.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
I love FPS boost. I hope they roll out a ton more in the future. Really benefits the Dishonored games in particular - they feel so much better at 60FPS and the load times from an SSD really help with the retries. Now we just need Dishonored 2!

Top Bottom