• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox likely to stay scarce into spring...Come on now.

Piper Az

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/2006-01-23-xbox-demand_x.htm

Xbox likely to stay scarce into spring

By Mike Snider, USA TODAY

Two months after its introduction, Microsoft's Xbox 360 is still an elusive prey for shoppers in the USA and might well remain so until spring.

The Xbox 360 is the first of three new video game systems due in the space of a year and has been hailed as an advance in home entertainment and online gaming. But the software giant's inability to make enough of the systems to satisfy demand could hurt it in the battle for supremacy with Sony. Sony's PlayStation 3 could arrive as soon as spring.

Microsoft "needs to get the supply-and-demand situation nailed real soon," says John Davison, editorial director for Ziff Davis Media's video game industry magazines. "If it drags out much longer, it's just going to promote apathy rather than excitement."

In the short term, prospects don't look good. Microsoft initially hoped to have shipped as many as 3 million systems by the end of February. But by the end of the year, Microsoft had shipped only about 1 million worldwide (about 800,000 to the USA and 100,000 each to Europe and Japan), according to estimates from analyst Michael Pachter with investment firm Wedbush Morgan Securities.

The NPD Group estimates that Microsoft sold 600,000 systems from Nov. 22 to Dec. 31. In comparison, it sold 1.4 million of the original Xbox systems in the first two months of 2001. "That was a new brand, and certainly now that it's established with a very loyal following and given the amount of hype and buzz they created, that is one barometer of what possibly could have been," says NPD analyst Anita Frazier.

Circuit City, like many other retailers, has held off promoting the 360 in advertisements.

"We think supplies are going to remain pretty tight for the next 90 days," the chain's Jim Babb says.

At this month's Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, Microsoft's Peter Moore said the start-up of a third manufacturing plant would help increase supply.

"We are making them as fast as we possibly can, and we do expect over the next three to four months that availability will get a lot better," Microsoft chairman Bill Gates said. "The challenge we had — and we're not the first to have this — is the demand far exceeded supply."

Microsoft should offer more of an explanation for the shortage, says Richard Doherty, research director of the Envisioneering Group. He surmises that the company might not be getting enough quality 360 units off the production line, or perhaps it is delaying to produce more units with an HD DVD drive, which Gates announced at the show.

"Damage to Microsoft and 360 is growing every week with no clear explanation," he says. "The silence is unfair to consumers and fans alike."

Contributing: Edward C. Baig

This is absolutely crazy...

Amir0x

Banned
I think at this point it's abundantly clear that something went very, very wrong when production ramped up. What that is, don't know... but it seems obvious to me the problems are more dramatic than just typical launch period bumpiness. I sincerely hope they can get it going, 'cause god-damn I've seen one single 360 unit since the launch and it was snatched up literally five minutes after I had spotted it.

Troidal

If only they'd bring all those 360s that's just shitting in the shelf of Japanese stores....problem would be solved easily.

Amir0x

Banned
Troidal said:
If only they'd bring all those 360s that's just shitting in the shelf of Japanese stores....problem would be solved easily.

No it wouldn't. There's approximately 55,000 units probably left sitting on shelves in Japan. That wouldn't do jackshit to satisfy the demands in US.

jman2050

Troidal said:

*Insert witty 'solid if not spectacular' joke*

Link

The Autumn Wind
Piper Az said:
"We are making them as fast as we possibly can, and we do expect over the next three to four months that availability will get a lot better," Microsoft chairman Bill Gates said. "The challenge we had — and we're not the first to have this — is the demand far exceeded supply."
Well, when your supply is absolute shit, that'll happen.

Piper Az

What's the hold up, man? What the f is the hold up here????!!!!!!111

Is MS like making 100 units a week or something???? Madness, I tell'ya!!!

Amir0x

Banned
xsarien said:
It's called "lying."

Come on, let's not be melodramatic. They weren't able to meet the goals they set out, true, but lying indicates intentionally trying to mislead people. I think it's far more likely that they simply had planned weekly replenishments, and that whatever this major issue is made doing it at the level they expected impossible.

But I could be wrong. I try to have faith in the world, even on unimportant subjects like videogames!

xsarien

daedsiluap
Amir0x said:
Come on, let's not be melodramatic. They weren't able to meet the goals they set out, true, but lying indicates intentionally trying to mislead people. I think it's far more likely that they simply had planned weekly replenishments, and that whatever this major issue is made doing it at the level they expected impossible.

But I could be wrong. I try to have faith in the world, even on unimportant subjects like videogames!

I think we established long ago that I'm much more cynical than you. :p

Snaku said:
So what the fuck was the point of launching early exactly?

Not only do the shortages mess up the early lead they wanted to carve against Sony, but it also pisses off your hardcore Xbot fanbase. This is really getting to be ridiculous, I was hoping that MS would really deliver this gen and provide ample competition to Sony. But they're making so many mistakes early on, it's scary.

Chi-Town

This is a really weird article.

But by the end of the year, Microsoft had shipped only about 1 million worldwide (about 800,000 to the USA and 100,000 each to Europe and Japan), according to estimates from analyst Michael Pachter with investment firm Wedbush Morgan Securities.

That's wrong. US didn't get 800,000 and Europe got more than 100,000.

In comparison, it sold 1.4 million of the original Xbox systems in the first two months of 2001.

I'm assuming they mean that Xbox sold 1.4 million in it's first 2 months. The way they wrote it, it sounds like it sold 1.4 million in January and February of 2001.

Flo_Evans

I suspect sony ninjas are sabotaging the production plants :lol

serouisly I wonder what the problem is? CPU? GPU? putting it all together? Isn't ATI manufacturing the GPU, and IBM the CPU? or did they just design the chips?

Mooreberg

Maybe after E3 journalists will stop pretending PS3 is coming out anywhere besides Japan before September. But yeah this has been a strange hardware launch for 360. Completely defeats the purpose of getting the system out of a year early.

Futureman

As someone above mentioned, there must be some problem on the production line. Maybe there's a high failure rate on the systems they are making?

Amir0x

Banned
Mooreberg said:
Completely defeats the purpose of getting the system out of a year early.

Uh, no.

Xbox 360 Physically Sold Units - 600,000 (Nov + Dec)
Xbox 360 Mindshare Units Sold - 2,900,000 (Nov + Dec)
Xbox 360 Momentum Units Sold - 3,730,000 (Nov + Dec)

PizzaFarmer

USA Today said:
Microsoft should offer more of an explanation for the shortage, says Richard Doherty, research director of the Envisioneering Group. He surmises that the company might not be getting enough quality 360 units off the production line, or perhaps it is delaying to produce more units with an HD DVD drive, which Gates announced at the show.
I'm starting to suspect that reading comprehension and listening skills are optional for modern tech journalists and analysts.

The HD-DVD drive was announced as an optional external peripheral. There is no planned SKU of Xbox 360 that includes HD-DVD, so "HD-DVD SKU hoarding" wouldn't be a factor for console shortages.

Anyone that watched the MS keynote from CES saw Peter Moore speaking for the Xbox section of the event. He announced the HD-DVD drive, not Bill Gates.

I wonder how many systems MS will sell by the end of the calendar year, its going to be much less than the 10Mil PS2's Sony sold in 2001, that's for sure. Clustrefuck total :/

Mrbob

Amir0x said:
Uh, no.

You forgot one:

Xbox 360 Thought Leadership Units Sold - 6,570,000 (Nov + Dec)

So much for MS hitting 3 million shipped in 90 days.

AniHawk

This is clearly Moore's doing. He wants to make the company into Sega, complete with a surprise launch done months far too early.

PizzaFarmer said:
I'm starting to suspect that reading comprehension and listening skills are optional for modern tech journalists and analysts.

The HD-DVD drive was announced as an optional external peripheral. There is no planned SKU of Xbox 360 that includes HD-DVD, so "HD-DVD SKU hoarding" wouldn't be a factor for console shortages.

Anyone that watched the MS keynote from CES saw Peter Moore speaking for the Xbox section of the event. He announced the HD-DVD drive, not Bill Gates.

Yeah, that was the line that screamed "Bollocks" to this whole article's enterprise.

Mooreberg

Amir0x said:
Uh, no.

Is "mindshare units" some kind of Peter Moore catch phrase? :lol

Piper Az

well, unless the newly opening facility is capable of making a lot more units compared to the other 2(?) factories, I don't think the shortage will be solved anytime soon. It'd be like getting 4-5 units every 2 weeks instead every 3 weeks...doesn't make any sense.

Amir0x

Banned
Mrbob said:
You forgot one:

Xbox 360 Thought Leadership Units Sold - 6,570,000 (Nov + Dec)

So much for MS hitting 3 million shipped in 90 days.

Covered in mindshare doofus! Maybe human energy units would make the joke complete now!

Mooreberg said:
Is "mindshare units" some kind of Peter Moore catch phrase? :lol

Hahaha, nah ;)

Mrbob

Amir0x said:
Covered in mindshare doofus! Maybe human energy units would make the joke complete now!

No, no, no, no.

Mindshare is having physical units!

Thought leadership is like living a lucid dream!

Pachinko

Nope, I think it's quite simply continueing poor yeilds on key components. I'm thinking it's the graphics card more then anything, it needs it's own set of parts. Also it wouldn't suprise me if they've turned up the quality control on the production lines with all the bad press they recieved from the few bad units going around currently. This would slow the lines down.

Also there is a weekly shipment coming to most stores but if you aren't a best buy or futureshop were talking 1-3 systems every week or 2. I guess I should be thankful I got one :p

GhaleonEB

2005 target - missed
90-day target - missed

But we're still on target for the 2006 fiscal and calendar year targets, honest!

bumpkin

If Microsoft wants a solid installed base before Sony and Nintendo show their hands, they better get their thumbs out of their asses and start shipping more units. Fuck these faux launches... Just make them available!

Piper Az said:
What's the hold up, man? What the f is the hold up here????!!!!!!111
It's obviously taking more time for MS to fix/replace defective units while at the same time figure how to apply that fix to the assembly line :D

MS has officially achieved nothing positive or substantial by forcing their Xbox 360 out prematurely.

Odysseus

Banned
bumpkin said:
If Microsoft wants a solid installed base before Sony and Nintendo show their hands, they better get their thumbs out of their asses and start shipping more units. Fuck these faux launches... Just make them available!

There you go, Microsoft, just ship units you don't have. Maybe it can be like Christmas 1977 where they sold Star Wars merchandise that wouldn't actually be available until the following year. It worked for Kenner Toys and George Lucas, it should work for Gates and Co.

Snaku

Banned
kutaragi1ko.jpg

"Well, you see the thing is, the Xbox 360 isn't a next gen console. It can barely compete with the purple lunchbox. You know I thought it might have given my PS2 a run for its money, but it got Nintendowned. Meanwhile the PS3, the true next gen console, is on the golden horizon. It has what I like to call 'Godshare', whose units sold is in the billions."

Mrbob

I wonder if the 360 GPU is just too advanced for its time....?

I wonder which part, or parts, is the real holdup.

You know when we look back after generations and say Sony dominated because of their competitors mistakes, well, we may be in the middle of another moment.

Top Bottom