• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox likely to stay scarce into spring...Come on now.

AniHawk

I dont think the 360 will be in third place this gen. You people are really giving Nintendo a lot of credit which they don't really have.

Speevy

Banned
monkeymagic said:
The game is over for MS this gen especially with Nintendo announcing the departure that is the Revolution.

X360 has no differentiating features which would enable it to get a footing - it is basically a PS3 without the Playstation brand and Blu-Ray playback.

No compelling reason (again) for 200M+ Playstation consumers to buy into it.

Features which the mass market don't care about - Live, PC connectivity, faceplates, HD-DVD add-on etc. aren't going to save it from 3rd place this gen.

Oh my word...

STOP POSTING STUPID CRAP.

The Revolution has none of that.

-No mainstream features
-No developer support (announced)
-Waning sales from even their top franchises
-Crappy European leg of its operation
-Abysmal retail space, they even took the GBA down from shelves
-Inferior technology
-Pay-to-purchase classic games, OMG MS DID THAT ALREADY BUT THEY ARE NOT MAINSTREAM

No one is even sure if person 1 wants this thing outside of Japan, and you're predicting that it's going to outsell the Xbox 360?

Let's make a bet. If the Xbox 360 hasn't cleaned the Revolution's clock by 2008, I will buy you a game, monkeymagic.

neptunes

I'm starting to realize sony's reason for not launching the PSP in North America for fall 2004.

I'm sure they could have had a decent amount of units and titles ready for an NA launch, not to mention the pressure of nintendo having enough supply for the holidays, but it would have eventually turn into the situation we see here. hence the delay.

Borys

Banned
Speevy said:
I read the article. It seems to cover the obvious, that the launch was a terible misfire in terms of supplying units to the US and Europe.

Has this situation gotten worse because of the information contained in the article? Did I miss something?

I guess the best thing I can say here is "Ha ha. I won one, you didn't."?

Fixed.

Brannon

Let's see, buggy games, overheatingly hot console (NOT COMING YOUR WAY!), games are more expensive with less features, and no plentiful supply of new units until spring, and I'M viewed as a fanboy/hater for not wanting one on day one?

Yeah. Okay. That's completely logical.

Speevy

Banned
DJ Brannon said:
Let's see, buggy games, overheatingly hot console (NOT COMING YOUR WAY!), games are more expensive with less features, and no plentiful supply of new units until spring, and I'M viewed as a fanboy/hater for not wanting one on day one?

Yeah. Okay. That's completely logical.

A simple "Just doesn't interest me." always suffices.

ToxicAdam

I feel bad for the xbox fans when the Nintendo fans are picking on them now.

It's like the kid who smells picking on the kid with big ears.

-----

I still like how people are proclaiming this as the "best launch EVAH".

AniHawk said:
I dont think the 360 will be in third place this gen. You people are really giving Nintendo a lot of credit which they don't really have.

It's pretty simple.

It's not a question of whether Revolution is more appealing than X360. There is no requirement for a direct comparison in this case.

Nintendo did the smart thing - Rev isn't competing against PS3 just as NDS isn't competing against PSP.

They're both going for different types of consumers at different price points and they will both be very successful at it.

They're also both trying to expand their appeal and bring in traditionally non-gaming consumers; PS3 with Blu-Ray, Rev with the Revmote.

Who is MS going after? PS3.

What kind of consumers will they need to convert to buying the X360 over PS3? Playstation consumers.

So do they offer enough compelling reasons to buy an X360 over a PS3? No.

When you've got the balls to go up against a juggernaut brand in a multi-billion dollar industry you better make sure you execute flawlessly which MS clearly haven't done.

shpankey

not an idiot
MSFT really dropped the ball with this launch, but I suspect PS3 will have these same problems, if not moreso; and while that is going on, the 360 will be caught up on hardware and be mighty tempting setting there on the shelf, probably with a lower pricepoint, and a whole lot of games out by then, to the mom and dad and grandma buying public trying to score an impossible to find PS3 for Christmas 2006.

But everyone is right, MSFT fucked this launch up bigtime. Everything they've done has gone horribly wrong, starting with mtv, e3, the ports and lack of supply. But it won't be the end of the world. They did nail XBL, Live Arcade (and awesome Dashboard) and amazing controller; and their supply problem will eventually go away. For all they've done wrong, they have also done a lot right. They obviously have strong 3rd party support, and have its biggest bullet still unfired (Halo 3). PS3 still has all of it's launch woes and supply issues ahead of them, of this I have no doubt. Their biggest issue will be to keep their customers waiting on PS3 supply with 360's on the shelf calling to them.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Exclusive picture from Xbox 360 assembly line

monkey_playingnintendo.jpg

DrEvil

not a medical professional
monkeymagic said:
It's pretty simple.

It's not a question of whether Revolution is more appealing than X360. There is no requirement for a direct comparison in this case.

Nintendo did the smart thing - Rev isn't competing against PS3 just as NDS isn't competing against PSP.

They're both going for different types of consumers at different price points and they will both be very successful at it.

They're also both trying to expand their appeal and bring in traditionally non-gaming consumers; PS3 with Blu-Ray, Rev with the Revmote.

What kind of consumers will they need to convert to buying the X360 over PS3? Playstation consumers.

When you've got the balls to go up against a juggernaut brand in a multi-billion dollar industry you better make sure you execute flawlessly.

This man wins. Easy as that, he's got it Folks.

Speevy

Banned
monkeymagic said:
It's pretty simple.

But you don't get it. Nintendo hasn't shown anyone a compelling reason to buy their console. It's a neat idea, but the very industry that praised the system isn't even offering games to support it. Some vote of confidence, huh? Who wants to spend any amount of money on an inferior piece of technology that the industry isn't even supporting (with games, not words) ?

For decades more than one console has existed. Each had its own appeal. The differences between some were so small that you had to get into the individual libraries to recognize it.

Microsoft offers standard-setting online, a media hub, and Western-centric gaming to differentiate its console from the rest. There's your answer.

And guess what? Just like this generation, buying MS' console + Sony's STILL gives you more games than any other combination.

gjb-sensei

Nintendo invented the pixel...
Speevy said:
And guess what? Just like this generation, buying MS' console + Sony's STILL gives you more games than any other combination.

Ah... I see you are a fortune teller. You must be, with such a claim.

Morbo

Speevy said:
Who wants to spend any amount of money on an inferior piece of technology that the industry isn't even supporting.

We don't know that either.
As for inferior technology, thart really depends on your criteria. To me it looks superior (assuming the remote meets it's potential).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Speevy said:
inferior piece of technology

The graphical difference between the Xbox360 and Rev. will be the same as the difference between Xbox and Gamecube.

Speevy

Banned
Oblivion said:
The graphical difference between the Xbox360 and Rev. will be the same as the difference between Xbox and Gamecube.

Well that's not even up for debate. The Xbox 360 is much more powerful than the Revolution, and given Nintendo's tendency to be conservative with technology, the difference should be obvious.

Amir0x

Banned
Zaphod said:
This thread needs more damage control.

Seriously, I love my 360 but MS missed their own targets by 2 million units. That's bad news for their strategy of gaining market share before the PS3 launches. E3 is going to be a make or break for the 360. They better have some drop dead gorgeous games for holiday 2006 on display or they may make little gains in market share over this generation. I doubt MS is doomed but the hardware side of the 360's launch was definitely a mess.

How can they have missed their targets by 2 million units when the first 90 days hasn't even passed yet? :p

Oblivion said:

Boy, if IGNs rumoured specs are true you're gonna be so incredibly wrong that you might piss blood for a week from the backlash.

shpankey

not an idiot
Oblivion said:
How do you know this? Are you a dev (not saying you aren't, just asking)?

Speevy said:
But you don't get it. Nintendo hasn't shown anyone a compelling reason to buy their console. It's a neat idea, but the very industry that praised the system isn't even offering games to support it. Some vote of confidence, huh?
They aren't offering games to support it? Look at the calender, Speevy. Just move your mouse to the bottom right hand corner of the screen and double click on the time (if you're on the west coast, it should say something like 11:50). Once the little window pops up, look at the date. Do you see the date? THAT is why they haven't announced any games for the system. Not because of a lack of support. But because it's the middle of fucking JANUARY.

Get your head out of your ass.

Speevy said:
Microsoft offers standard-setting online, a media hub, and Western-centric gaming to differentiate its console from the rest. There's your answer.

- 'standard-setting' online - definitely the leader no questions but only niche appeal (5M consumers at most)

- media hub - I'm not sure how you can even use the term 'hub' when you require a PC, metres of ethernet cable and some networking knowledge (and maybe a $100 WiFi adapter) just to be able to stream a few supported formats. A 'media hub' that also doesn't read the most popular consumer electronic media formats out there - CF, SD and MS. PS3 has the media hub crown in the bag.

- Western centric gaming - perhaps you forgot about GTA - the biggest selling Western title of last generation available on Playstation. And to mass consumers western support = EA, Activision, UBIsoft, TakeTwo support, again available on Playstation.

So from your list of differentiating factors required to turn Playstation consumers into Xbox consumers you have 'standard-setting' online. Assuming PS3 has NO online gaming whatsoever - you have yourself 5M consumers.

Speevy said:
Just like this generation, buying MS' console + Sony's STILL gives you more games than any other combination.

Of course but then buying all consoles gives you ALL the games :D

But we're not discussing multi-console owning consumers which only make up a tiny fraction of the market.

Speevy

Banned
Tamashii Sensei said:
Ah... I see you are a fortune teller. You must be, with such a claim.

I can't even imagine a situation in which

A) The Revolution receives more support than the Xbox 360

or

B) The Revolution has more exclusives than the Xbox 360.

Nintendo has even fewer developers (no Silicon Knights, Factor 5, or Rare, guess where they're making games now?) than they did before the Gamecube.

But who knows? Maybe they'll let Namco try to fill the holes again.

Oblivion

shpankey said:
How do you know this? Are you a dev (not saying you aren't, just asking)?

No, I'm not but I'm just playing the same game that everyone who's bashing the Rev's graphics are. Check it out:

Xbox GPU: 250 Mhz
Xbox 360 GPU: 500 Mhz

MS PR guy: XBOX360'S GRAPHICS ARE 10 TIMES BETTER THAN XBOX'S! FACT!

GAF: HOLY SHIT NEXT GEN AM HERE

GC GPU: 162 Mhz

Nintendo PR guy/girl: Revolution will be 2-3 times more powerful than the GC.

GAF: LOL MORE LIKE DE-EVOLUTION

But what's the difference between Xbox and 360's GPUs? *GASP* TWO times the difference!

This double standard shit needs to stop.

Snaku

Banned
Speevy said:
I can't even imagine a situation in which

A) The Revolution receives more support than the Xbox 360

or

B) The Revolution has more exclusives than the Xbox 360.

Same could have been said about Sony prior to the launch of the PlayStation and N64. Shit happens.

Speevy

Banned
Mike Works said:
They aren't offering games to support it? Look at the calender, Speevy. Just move your mouse to the bottom right hand corner of the screen and double click on the time (if you're on the west coast, it should say something like 11:50). Once the little window pops up, look at the date. Do you see the date? THAT is why they haven't announced any games for the system. Not because of a lack of support. But because it's the middle of fucking JANUARY.

Get your head out of your ass.

My opposition in this thread has based its argument entirely on the premise of

"If the brand is strong, there's no need to switch."

I just base my predictions on the same thing.

The Gamecube lost its support and publisher confidence, and despite numerous Xbox 360 and even PS3 (it's far off too!), those announcements still aren't rolling in.

Getting a little blunt is usually not my style, but man, it needs to be said.

shpankey

not an idiot
Oblivion said:
No, I'm not but I'm just playing the same game that everyone who's bashing the Rev's graphics are. Check it out:

Xbox GPU: 250 Mhz
Xbox 360 GPU: 500 Mhz

MS PR guy: XBOX360'S GRAPHICS ARE 10 TIMES BETTER THAN XBOX'S! FACT!

GAF: HOLY SHIT NEXT GEN AM HERE

GC GPU: 162 Mhz

Nintendo PR guy/girl: Revolution will be 2-3 times more powerful than the GC.

GAF: LOL MORE LIKE DE-EVOLUTION

But what's the difference between Xbox and 360's GPUs? *GASP* TWO times the difference!

This double standard shit needs to stop.

I'm not trying to say anything you are saying is untrue... but there is a lot more to a system that just the clock rates of the CPU's. I'd hardly be willing to make the claim you did just based off of that.

Snaku

Banned
Speevy said:
My opposition in this thread has based its argument entirely on the premise of

"If the brand is strong, there's no need to switch."

I just base my predictions on the same thing.

The Gamecube lost its support and publisher confidence, and despite numerous Xbox 360 and even PS3 (it's far off too!), those announcements still aren't rolling in.

Getting a little blunt is usually not my style, but man, it needs to be said.

Ever hear of a NDA?

Speevy

Banned
Snaku said:
Same could have been said about Sony prior to the launch of the PlayStation and N64. Shit happens.

What does that have to do with the next generation?

Nothing has happened that would convince me that those two factors are going to change. In fact, Nintendo has moved further away from a position that would grant them mainstream, bankable support.

OniShiro

Banned
Didn't someone say that Nintendo paid ATI for the Rev GPU as much as Microsoft did for the 360's ?

If that's the case, I don't believe the 360 will be much better graphically, unless the Rev GPU has some weird feature like stereoscopic rendering or something that takes a big hit at performance.

Oblivion

shpankey said:
I'm not trying to say anything you are saying is untrue... but there is a lot more to a system that just the clock rates of the CPU's. I'd hardly be willing to make the claim you did just based off of that.

That's exactly my point, actually. People are willingly believing what they want to believe. MS says Xbox 360 is 10 times more powerful than Xbox, and everyone thinks it is. Nintendo says Rev is 2-3 times more powerful than the GC, and people think it's the N64 or something, even though the GPUs for each (from the rumored specs) are doubled.

Speevy

Banned
Oblivion said:
That's exactly my point, actually. People are willingly believing what they want to believe. MS says Xbox 360 is 10 times more powerful than Xbox, and everyone thinks it is. Nintendo says Rev is 2-3 times more powerful than the GC, and people think it's the N64 or something, even though the GPUs for each (from the rumored specs) are doubled.

We know exactly how powerful the Xbox 360 is, and IGN confirmed (roughly) how powerful the Revolution is.

Those too ignorant to know what those specs mean (like me) will just have to guess, but I can tell when all the numbers are higher in one column than those in the other.

Amir0x

Banned
OniShiro said:
Didn't someone say that Nintendo paid ATI for the Rev GPU as much as Microsoft did for the 360's ?

If that's the case, I don't believe the 360 will be much better graphically, unless the Rev GPU has some weird feature like stereoscopic rendering or something that takes a big hit at performance.

As Shogmaster once said: "Small, powerful, cheap; Pick two."

In other words, just because Nintendo paid ATI the same amount of money doesn't mean their goals were the same. THEY chose to have a system that's just over 3 DVD cases tall, that is cheaper than the competition, and that focuses on innovation over power. Therefore, where the money was spent is entirely differnet. Any fever dreams that Revolution is gonna be on the same power level as 360 or PS3, or merely an Xbox to Gamecube difference, is just ridiculous fantasy. Nintendo doesn't create magic technology, they have to adhere to rules just like anyone else.

A 3 DVD case tall system that costs 249.99 or less AND with this wagglewand tech is not gonna be on par, coming out a year later or not.

Zaphod said:
E3 is going to be a make or break for the 360. They better have some drop dead gorgeous games for holiday 2006 on display or they may make little gains in market share over this generation.

In terms of mindshare, nothing will compete with the hype of 2 competing systems being unveiled properly; one billed more powerful, the other more innovative - MS is screwed either way.

I agree also with the poster saying he expects a similar launch from Sony - not intentional of course...
Which bodes well for Nintendo if they can stock shelves properly.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Speevy said:
Oh my word...

STOP POSTING STUPID CRAP.

The Revolution has none of that.

-No mainstream features
-No developer support (announced)
-Waning sales from even their top franchises
-Crappy European leg of its operation
-Abysmal retail space, they even took the GBA down from shelves
-Inferior technology
-Pay-to-purchase classic games, OMG MS DID THAT ALREADY BUT THEY ARE NOT MAINSTREAM

No one is even sure if person 1 wants this thing outside of Japan, and you're predicting that it's going to outsell the Xbox 360?

Let's make a bet. If the Xbox 360 hasn't cleaned the Revolution's clock by 2008, I will buy you a game, monkeymagic.

Someone's getting a bit defensive.

Oblivion

Speevy said:
We know exactly how powerful the Xbox 360 is, and IGN confirmed (roughly) how powerful the Revolution is.

Those too ignorant to know what those specs mean (like me) will just have to guess, but I can tell when all the numbers are higher in one column than those in the other.

Yeah, the PS2 sure kicked the GC's ass with it's 70 million polygon per second rendering abilities, huh?

This is what I mean. Selectively deciding what to believe and what to ignore.

Snaku

Banned
Speevy said:
Perhaps, but I'd still like to know why the Revolution is like the original Playstation.

The Revolution now is much like how the PlayStation was, in that it's an unknown quantity. It certainly isn't a Gamecube2. If it were it'd retain its fanbase and its appeal would go no farther. But it's bringing new things to the table, significant innovations other than state-of-the-art graphics that just might appeal to those that haven't really touched a video game in years. If it gains enough public support like the PlayStation did by being fresh and exciting, it'll gain massive dev support. These are all big If's, but if it worked for the PlayStation, why not the Revolution? Nobody knows, but the Revolution is definitely the Joker card of next gen.

Odysseus

Banned
xsarien said:
Someone's getting a bit defensive.

Well, Nfans are a bit cocky and stupid with this whole Revolution thing. You know, trying to project the DS' situation as a predictor for the Revolution. As if the DS wasn't a gauranteed hit following the wildly popular GBA. As if the GBA also had anything whatsoever to do with the performance of the GameCube. It's much more valid to look at the GameCube and predict that the Revo will be dead in the water than to say the DS has anything to do with the success or failure of the Big (fat, lazy, incompetent) N's next home console.

Speevy

Banned
Borys said:
You are fighting against ~10 posters here just give up already.

I'm not fighting against anyone.

I enjoy Nintendo games greatly, but I'm sick of Nintendo fans borrowing Sony's position just to beat MS over the head.

OniShiro

Banned
I don't think there will be much diference between the Rev and the 360/PS3 in SD, obviously in HD the 360/PS3 will look better.

Oblivion

Odysseus said:
Well, Nfans are a bit cocky and stupid with this whole Revolution thing. You know, trying to project the DS' situation as a predictor for the Revolution. As if the DS wasn't a gauranteed hit following the wildly popular GBA.

Don't be stupid. Almost everyone thought the PSP was gonna steamroll the fuck out of the DS.

Top Bottom