• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox likely to stay scarce into spring...Come on now.

Davew49

Pedigree Chum said:
Not only do the shortages mess up the early lead they wanted to carve against Sony, but it also pisses off your hardcore Xbot fanbase.
Really? I mean people that enjoy their current XBOX are really pissed because they can't buy the next game system? Personally I see nothing wrong with waiting, and I would bet that a great many others that one could consider an XBOT, wouldn't have a problem waiting either. Younger gamers, sure they may have a tantrum or too, but the older ones, I think will have a bit more patience. Besides it is only the early adopters that are being inconvenienced, if you want to even call it that. I don't think this is making anyone "jump ship" so to speak.

This is really getting to be ridiculous, I was hoping that MS would really deliver this gen and provide ample competition to Sony. But they're making so many mistakes early on, it's scary.
What mistakes exactly are they making? The system has been launched for two months now, what exactly has Microsoft done that is so bad? I understand lack of hardware can be deemed a problem, but most new system launches experience this type of thing. Personally I don't see that Microsoft has made many that many mistakes to this point.

DAVEW

Odysseus

Banned
Mrbob said:
I wonder if the 360 GPU is just too advanced for its time....?

I wonder which part, or parts, is the real holdup.

It's obviously the powerbrick. They have to test each one with the fire marshall present.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Microsoft must be praying the February PS3 show never materialises.

After blowing their xmas sales, a sea of PS3 hype while they are still having production problems would really pile the pressure on ...

Flo_Evans

I am just waiting for the sony ""Our deepest condolences to Microsoft on their x360 shipping difficulties."" ad.

segson_l1.jpg

..wait wasn't peter moore incharge of marketing for the DC? :lol

Davew49 said:
Really? I mean people that enjoy their current XBOX are really pissed because they can't buy the next game system? Personally I see nothing wrong with waiting, and I would bet that a great many others that one could consider an XBOT, wouldn't have a problem waiting either. Younger gamers, sure they may have a tantrum or too, but the older ones, I think will have a bit more patience. Besides it is only the early adopters that are being inconvenienced, if you want to even call it that. I don't think this is making anyone "jump ship" so to speak.
You may see nothing wrong with waiting, but I've seen lots of Xbox fans pissed off due to shortages.

Odysseus

Banned
Pedigree Chum said:
You may see nothing wrong with waiting, but I've seen lots of Xbox fans pissed off due to shortages.

If they stay upset and change "allegiances" over a supply shortage, then they are idiots and they belong on GAF.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
If I can get a 360 when my tax return is deposited into my bank account, I will. I'm not going to search stores for days, and I'm not buying a bundle. If I can't just find one at this point, I'll just wait for a price drop and spend my tax return on heroin. Because this is mostly ridiculous.

Zaphod

This thread needs more damage control.

Seriously, I love my 360 but MS missed their own targets by 2 million units. That's bad news for their strategy of gaining market share before the PS3 launches. E3 is going to be a make or break for the 360. They better have some drop dead gorgeous games for holiday 2006 on display or they may make little gains in market share over this generation. I doubt MS is doomed but the hardware side of the 360's launch was definitely a mess.

Odysseus said:
If they stay upset and change "allegiances" over a supply shortage, then they are idiots and they belong on GAF.

Just saying that its not wise to jerk around your fanbase too much, the dual SKU and spotty BC already did enough damage.

Flo_Evans

Odysseus said:

If MS just sells to the exsisting xbox fanbase how are they going to gain marketshare? They not only need every xbot to buy one, they need converts. Fight Night and motoGP are enough for me to want one, but I am not going to go out of my way or buy an insane $800 bundle to get one.

GhaleonEB

Flo_Evans said:
I am just waiting for the sony ""Our deepest condolences to Microsoft on their x360 shipping difficulties."" ad.

segson_l1.jpg

..wait wasn't peter moore incharge of marketing for the DC? :lol
Yup, that ad was his idea. Rumor has it it was his kid in the picture.

Chi-Town

Zaphod said:
Seriously, I love my 360 but MS missed their own targets by 2 million units.

The 3 million shipped estimate is for 90 days. That's 27 days from now. I don't think they'll hit it but saying that they missed it is premature at this point.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
All lies Microsoft kicks ass at making kick ass hardware. Just look at all the money they have! They could buy and sell this place like a TRILLION times!

Raven.

Banned
There it goes again, sony's lucky streak keeps on going*(Lady luck is actually a sony employee, everyone else just gets bad luck. :D )

Davew49 said:
What mistakes exactly are they making? The system has been launched for two months now, what exactly has Microsoft done that is so bad? I understand lack of hardware can be deemed a problem, but most new system launches experience this type of thing. Personally I don't see that Microsoft has made many that many mistakes to this point.

DAVEW
mtv, e3, allowing some subpar current gen cash-in ports, somehow managing to do worse in japan than the original xbox, massive shortage, need we go on?
Odysseus said:
It's obviously the powerbrick. They have to test each one with the fire marshall present.
For a moment there I thought you said marshmallow :lol

Borys

Banned
Best. Launch. Ever.
Momentum
Lucid Dream
1 Billion Gamers

<Speevy>
fantastic
amazing
incredible
HIGHEST RATED LAUNCH THIS GEN
</Speevy>

Where is your God now?

gjb-sensei

Nintendo invented the pixel...
The Experiment said:
I hope Microsoft realizes that they basically handed Sony another victory.

QFT... I own and enjoy my Xbox 360, but Microsoft really fucked this launch up in general. This "head start" of theirs is nothing but a damn joke.

If I were to categorize this launch, it'd be more like the Dreamcast's launch rather than the PS2's launch, that's for sure. While Microsoft may have much more money than Sega ever had, that doesn't mean shit if they can't capitalize on a several months advantage.

Azih

And the window before PS3 launch hits overdrive just keeps getting shorter and shorter... seriously MS, what the hell?

Tamashii Sensei said:
QFT... I own and enjoy my Xbox 360, but Microsoft really fucked this launch up in general. This "head start" of theirs is nothing but a damn joke.

If I were to categorize this launch, it'd be more like the Dreamcast's launch rather than the PS2's launch, that's for sure. While Microsoft may have much more money than Sega ever had, that doesn't mean shit if they can't capitalize on a several months advantage.

Microsoft had the potential to push out at least 6-8 million units before the PS3 arrived. Unless Microsoft pulls a Seabiscuit and starts pumping out Xbox 360s like crazy in the next few months, they shot themselves in the foot. The "insane demand" card will work well but not as well as having several million more units out the door.

You have to wonder what the hell Microsoft was thinking. Their engineers surely must have told the higher ups that the Xbox 360 was a complex to manufacture machine and could not make a bunch in a short amount of time. Since Microsoft has been pimping this machine for almost two years now, they'd start production a couple months earlier to get several hundred thousand more units out there.

Its just bad considering how much Microsoft pushed this thing...to have it blow up in their faces. I don't think Xbox 360 is dead nor will it ever be but they did fuck it up.

Flo_Evans

Tamashii Sensei said:

Dreamcast IIRC actually had a pretty good launch. They sold 10million worldwide before the PS2 launched, but sales droped rapidly after the PS2 hit.

Wonder what the odds are in vegas for the 360 outselling the dreamcast before PS3 launches?

thefit

At this rate its gonna take MS another generation to catch up meanwhile they will continue to pour cash at again a money loosing venture. Even MS has called it quits on some hard headed projects lets see how many PS generations it takes before they get out or get it right.

MS's saving grace could be that like them Sony is also counting on untested new hardware and they also have a tendency to have manufacturing hickups, that may be just enough for a catchup.

gjb-sensei

Flo_Evans said:
Dreamcast IIRC actually had a pretty good launch. They sold 10million worldwide before the PS2 launched, but sales droped rapidly after the PS2 hit.

Wonder what the odds are in vegas for the 360 outselling the dreamcast before PS3 launches?

Yeah, the Dreamcast had a great launch, but what Sega failed to do was capitalize on it. Sony was able to create a "hype train" of sorts for their PS2, and basically, Sega was fucked ever since. If Microsoft isn't careful, the exact same thing will happen here, replacing the Dreamcast with the Xbox 360 and the PS2 with the PS3.

PizzaFarmer

Flo_Evans said:
Really? I thought the actual figure was that Sega Dreamcast was almost to ten million consoles sold at the time they decided to leave the market (Nov. 1998 - Jan. 2001).

PizzaFarmer said:
Really? I thought the actual figure was that Sega Dreamcast was almost to ten million consoles sold at the time they decided to leave the market (Nov. 1998 - Jan. 2001).

Yeah I remember that it was that at the end of it's life.

gjb-sensei

PizzaFarmer said:

Yeah... that seems more likely. I'll see if I can dig up an article stating so.

Koomaster

thefit said:
At this rate its gonna take MS another generation to catch up meanwhile they will continue to pour cash at again a money loosing venture. Even MS has called it quits on some hard headed projects lets see how many PS generations it takes before they get out or get it right.

MS's saving grace could be that like them Sony is also counting on untested new hardware and they also have a tendency to have manufacturing hickups, that may be just enough for a catchup.
I'm remembering some recent interview with Gates (maybe someone can link it) where someone asked him something along the lines of; "If MS didnt' "win" this gen, then what?" and Gates basically says they will keep throwing money at it till they make the Xbox name profitable. Basically assuring the interviewer that Xbox will be around for next-next gen.

Now whether that is false bravado or not is up for debate; but they certainly have the funds to do it if they choose to.

Flo_Evans

PizzaFarmer said:

hmm. yeah they did sell alot when they slashed it to $50 :lol

Somebody here has to have the exact figure :D

edit:

January 30, 2001 -- Sega executives reviewed the final numbers for U.S. sales of the Dreamcast game console. They expected the U.S. install base to reach 4.5 million by January 1. After a major holiday push bolstered by shortages of Sony's new PlayStation 2, Sega of America had only reached 3 million Dreamcasts sold.

3 million for America. Again IIRC (wich I don't seem to be doing very well :p) it sold better here than in japan. No clue about europe.

mashoutposse

Ante Up
PizzaFarmer said:

The PS2 came out just two months before that decision was made. 10 million is still pretty close to the actual number.

bumpkin

Odysseus said:
There you go, Microsoft, just ship units you don't have. Maybe it can be like Christmas 1977 where they sold Star Wars merchandise that wouldn't actually be available until the following year. It worked for Kenner Toys and George Lucas, it should work for Gates and Co.
They have the units. Stop kidding yourself. At the "Zero Hour" event, they had more than enough 360's to accomodate every last person there who wanted one and then some. This shortage is self-imposed and they're doing it to drive up demand. Nothing intrigues people more than the hard to get piece of electronics.

I just hope they're enjoying this little game, because when Sony and Nintendo release their next systems, all they gotta do is not pull this faux-shortage shit and they'll leave MS in the dust. At the rate they're going, their headstart will mean precisely dick. Forget the 360 being the next Dreamcast; it's on its way to being the next Saturn (huge price tag and no units moving... 'Cuz you can't sell what you aren't supplying).

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
If Microsoft make no inroads into Sony's marketshare this time round, and Sony have another generation like the last 2, then it will leave the PlayStation brand in such a strong position that a 3rd attempt by Microsoft would be pointless.

Also if Revolution does well and successfully pulls-in new gamers then it's possible Microsoft could end up in 3rd place this time around as well. In which case the Xbox brand may start to seem a bit damaged as it will appear to have gone backwards.

It's very high stakes this time round, the one thing they didn't want to do was botch the launch. Christmas sales were their safety net. It's all going to hinge now on when PS3 comes out, and what titles Microsoft have for the second half of the year.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Flo_Evans said:
I suspect sony ninjas are sabotaging the production plants :lol

serouisly I wonder what the problem is? CPU? GPU? putting it all together? Isn't ATI manufacturing the GPU, and IBM the CPU? or did they just design the chips?

ATI doesnt fab chips, so im guessing TSMC is handling that, IBM may be doing that nifty fire starter of a chip at their fabs.

If Microsoft make no inroads into Sony's marketshare this time round, and Sony have another generation like the last 2, then it will leave the PlayStation brand in such a strong position that a 3rd attempt by Microsoft would be pointless.

Yup, if they dominate another gen then MS would be truly fucked.

qirex

bumpkin said:
This shortage is self-imposed and they're doing it to drive up demand. Nothing intrigues people more than the hard to get piece of electronics.
I didn't think anyone actually believed this was true. You honestly think Microsoft is holding out and they don't feel like selling several hundred thousand more games and accessories? They're spending millions on marketing a product people can't buy to "drive up demand"? There isn't a single business case where this makes sense with a console.

Speevy

Banned
I read the article. It seems to cover the obvious, that the launch was a terible misfire in terms of supplying units to the US and Europe.

Has this situation gotten worse because of the information contained in the article? Did I miss something?

I guess the best thing I can say here is "Ha ha. I have one, you don't."?

The game is over for MS this gen especially with Nintendo announcing the departure that is the Revolution.

X360 has no differentiating features which would enable it to get a footing - it is basically a PS3 without the Playstation brand and Blu-Ray playback.

No compelling reason (again) for 200M+ Playstation consumers to buy into it.

Features which the mass market don't care about - Live, PC connectivity, faceplates, HD-DVD add-on etc. aren't going to save it from 3rd place this gen.

Top Bottom