• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA) News and Announcements Thread - 2012 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
From one of the comments:
1- They are available across all the games that support Famestars.
2- They are not available outside these games (ie you can't see them on your dashboard)
3- You don't earn them by getting to a certain point in the game like most Avatar rewards. Instead you have to "level up" your character by doing many specific tasks in each of these games to earn points.

Not really cool if you can use them outside those games...
Hmm, yeah, I don't really see the point to these.

Another Sega Vintage Collection: Toe Jam & Earl
https://twitter.com/XBLAReleases/status/227521987797458944
Good. I'm glad to see this wasn't a one time thing!

Although I can't say I'm too excited about this particular collection.

Oh, well, hmm.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Wohoo, Toejam & Earl! "Alright!"

Of course, the only games that can complete a TJ&E collection is DJ Boy and B.Rap Boys. ....

Ristar would be cool, too, but I'd prefer it to be something that's not already on the Sega Genesis Collection, and not something that could possible out-shine the main games.

Or they could add the Xbox TJ&E sequel... ha.

Oh, and I'm glad to see Firepro is alive, used in a new promotion / system idea, and promises something like 300 (!) Avatar items. I can understand why they wouldn't want all these things to be available as normal avatar items, as they'd probably feel like they're giving away too much value with games that'd allow such a thing. This makes it so that the value feeds back to "Buy other games to fully enjoy these items!", which is pretty smart, really.

I just hope Avatar Superstar games also offer default avatar awards. Just more and more value, that way, and fully supporting all ideals of avatars.

Vert boil

DOTW

AssBro
--The Da Vinci Disappearance - 400msp (was 800)

if nothing else pops up...
comicbookguy.gif

-----

Sales & Specials+ app

Choplifer HD - 600msp (was 800)
SkyDrift - 800msp (was 1200)
some tat
-----

Some DJ Hero DLC and GoD titles reduced as well - http://xbldb.com/offer-history/price-changes

If I buy a game on demand to replace the disc version of a game, will my save files still work with those games?

I'm pondering replacing some of my favorite games in this manner, and I'm wondering if there are any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Rlan

ToeJam & Earl
ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron
Ristar

Or:

ristarcollection.png

(Maybe :p)

Makes it hard for those few games that ended up getting only two titles like ToeJam and Vectorman if they continue in the 3 pack stuff.

Other "one off" titles that could be plugged in include:

Kid Chameleon
Comix Zone (if they get rid of the single SKU)
Ristar

One of the old missing Genesis games that never pops up is Greendog: The Beached Surfer Dude. It wasn't very good at the time, but it's never been re-released in any collection. I thought Sega made it?

If I buy a game on demand to replace the disc version of a game, will my save files still work with those games?

I'm pondering replacing some of my favorite games in this manner, and I'm wondering if there are any pitfalls I should be aware of?

Yeah, they act exactly the same as normal games. To the point where I think if you've got it installed on your HDD already, the GoD version uses the same file.

OnPoint

Or:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26958538/ristarcollection.png[/img

(Maybe :P)

Makes it hard for those few games that ended up getting only two titles like ToeJam and Vectorman if they continue in the 3 pack stuff.

Other "one off" titles that could be plugged in include:

Kid Chameleon
Comix Zone (if they get rid of the single SKU)
Ristar

One of the old missing Genesis games that never pops up is Greendog: The Beached Surfer Dude. It wasn't very good at the time, but it's never been re-released in any collection. I thought Sega made it?[/QUOTE]

Yes Greendog! That game wasn't that great, and nobody on GAF cared about my tribute thread for it back in 2008, but I'd LOVE for it to show back up! Maybe they can bring back Chakan while they're at it.

Also, an Ecco the Dolphin collection with proper M2 emulation would be incredible, but what would the third game be... Ecco Jr? * Shudders *

GhaleonEB

Another Sega Vintage Collection: Toe Jam & Earl
https://twitter.com/XBLAReleases/status/227521987797458944
Instantly bought, for the first one alone. I'm still working through the Wonderboy collection, so good.

Theres a colourblind mode in zumas revenge mate, speaking as a fellow colour challenged bro i wasnt going to buy it till a mate pointed it out to me.

Yup, you're right. I don't know how I missed it, but I enjoyed the demo so much despite my issues that I re-downloaded it to try it again, double checked the options, and it was there. No idea how I missed it before. Bought the game after a few levels.

It really changes the game, I was able to plow past the first two bosses with no issues. So glad to have a good puzzler I can play.

Yup, you're right. I don't know how I missed it, but I enjoyed the demo so much despite my issues that I re-downloaded it to try it again, double checked the options, and it was there. No idea how I missed it before. Bought the game after a few levels.

It really changes the game, I was able to plow past the first two bosses with no issues. So glad to have a good puzzler I can play.

Yeah, it's got a really nice difficulty curve too. Ramps up nicely, and the final boss definitely presents a challenge, but it's fair.

GhaleonEB

Every TJ&E past the first one fucking sucked

True. I attended the CES in Chicago before TJ&E 2 came and was able to meet the one of the designers, in the Sega booth (I think it was Greg Johnson), and I asked him why they changed the perspective. He said it was because they did some cinematics of the two characters from the side view, and liked how they looked that way so much, they wanted to feature them in the game that way. I pointed out that it would basically ruin what made the first so good, and he just asked that I give the game a shot.

It ruined the game. :\

Hopefully it's just ToeJam & Earl and then two other Sega games.

The first TJ&E is the only one that holds up.

And please. No Ristar. I've seen way too much of that fucking game. It's almost as played out as Sonic 1.

Hopefully it's just ToeJam & Earl and then two other Sega games.

The first TJ&E is the only one that holds up.

And please. No Ristar. I've seen way too much of that fucking game. It's almost as played out as Sonic 1.

Maybe I need to play 1, I thought 2 didn't make any sense; but 3 was pretty fun I thought.

It's Kinect only, yeah, but is actually one of very few good Kinect games. People should definitely give the trial a go and not write it off just because it's a Kinect game.

nice I'll check out the trial but what the hell is "Featuring Avatar Famestar" ????

Nevermind looked it up http://playxbla.com/avatarfamestar/ is this not just over complication of avatar unlocks?

You don't really actually unlock anything for your avatar. The gear you "unlock" is actually only usable between the FameStar games, so you can dress as something from Wreckateer in Full House Poker but not on your dashboard.

It's the kind of thing that would be a great idea if stuff like 1vs100 was still around, because you could show off how many FameStar points you have by dressing as the high-tier unlocks, but without something like that (and FHP hardly counts) it's all a bit pointless. May as well just have included normal avatar gear (which it also does anyway, incidentally).

Gowans

You don't really actually unlock anything for your avatar. The gear you "unlock" is actually only usable between the FameStar games, so you can dress as something from Wreckateer in Full House Poker but not on your dashboard.

It's the kind of thing that would be a great idea if stuff like 1vs100 was still around, because you could show off how many FameStar points you have by dressing as the high-tier unlocks, but without something like that (and FHP hardly counts) it's all a bit pointless. May as well just have included normal avatar gear (which it also does anyway, incidentally).

Good to know, seems super pointless to me even more. God I hate the name too. Almost made a thread, in fact I still may, it's pretty poor 'Gamification'.

Done: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=40227498#post40227498

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
I really hope TJ&E has online play! I have yet to buy any of the other collections, what are the chances of it having online play?

Rlan

worms_collection_x360_eng_2d.jpg
worms_collection_ps3_eng_2d.jpg

LONDON, UK - 25 July 2012 - Yes, you too can soon be the proud owner of not one, not two, but three of the finest video games known to man on one single slender disk.

Venerable video game publisher and distributor Mastertronic is bringing Worms™ Collection to your favourite retailer for Xbox 360® and PlayStation®3 this August 31st.
The mind-meltingly great value for money retail disc will contain three wriggly militant masterpieces from legendary studio Team 17, namely Worms™, Worms™ Ultimate Mayhem and Worms™ 2: Armageddon, plus 6 full packs of DLC.

For the uninitiated, Worms Collection is an exquisite opportunity to discover for yourself why our unassuming earth-eating friends have evolved into such trigger-happy video game behemoths since their first appearance in 1995. And for those countless fans already in the know, Worms Collection is the perfect gift for any loved one with a penchant for military-minded invertebrates, or indeed for yourself with its extra bonus of 6 complete DLC packs.

“There’s only one thing more dangerous than a worm with a big gun, and that’s three Worms with big guns,” said Nick Clarkson, Team 17 Marketing Director. “We’re over the moon to see these three titles buddying up on one disc and heading to retailers, and unless your heart is completely cold and wormless, I reckon it’s a fairly irresistible proposition.”

Here’s what worm watchers can look forward to in Worms Collection:

Worms
The beast that started it all, Worms was originally released for a legion of now defunct hardware platforms back in 1995, and since 2007 has found armies of new fans with releases on Xbox Live®, PlayStation®Network and iOS. In the game, teams of worms fight to the death using heavy artillery in turn-based battles, with the last worm standing declared the winner.

Worms Ultimate Mayhem
First launched in 2011 for PC, Xbox Live® and PlayStation®Network, Worms Ultimate Mayhem is a turbo-charged reworking of Worms 3D and Worms 4: Mayhem, loaded with more of everything from customisation options to missions, and presented in dazzling 3D.

Worms 2: Armageddon
Released in 2009, with versions released for Xbox Live® and PlayStation®Network, the sequel to 1997’s Worms: Armageddon ups the ante with the return of fan favourite weaponry, brand new armaments, bags of customisations options, fancy new physics, and much, much more.

Kind of pointless to put the first one on there now. Kind of makes me wish that Worms: Crazy Golf game came to XBLA as well as PSN. Would have been better here. Or Revolution, which is out soonish.

Fox Mulder

I find it rather irritating when games that don't seem like they should require a file size that big, end up having a file size that big.

Yeah, I remember Wolfenstein 3D being bloated by a HD trailer for the Wolfenstein game that came out a few years ago. I also see it happen a lot on ios, like chrono trigger being 600 MB's or whatever for some reason.

Card Boy

Banned
When will WWE wrestlefest be released? It's had trailers on xbox and ps3 even put one up recently

It's an iPad port, you don't want this trust me. Even the Steam page for it had virtual joysticks on the screenshots before they noticed it and changed it.

I find it rather irritating when games that don't seem like they should require a Kinect end up requiring a Kinect.

Have you played it? The Kinect implementation is not only good, but it's actually more fun than it'd be with a controller.

It is not many games you can say that about.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Have you played it? The Kinect implementation is not only good, but it's actually more fun than it'd be with a controller.

It is not many games you can say that about.
They may very well be sufficient, but I don't think they're necessary. There's no practical reason not to include both gamepad and Kinect support.

Feindflug

They may very well be sufficient, but I don't think they're necessary. There's no practical reason not to include both gamepad and Kinect support.

Maybe they expect some people to go out there and buy a Kinect to play these games? I don't know any people from my friend list that recently bought a Kinect though - actually most of them lately are selling the peripheral..hell even Crimson Dragon which is mainly a niche game is not getting controller support and that is a game that would definitely benefit sales-wise from supporting both control schemes.

Personally I'd get a Kinect at this point since there's some games that I want to play on it (especially Crimson Dragon) and I can find a used one at a good price but the space issue is the reason that I'm not risking getting one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom